Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SSD or HDD for storage?

rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
I want to backup all of my images and videos for my sim story that I have taken over the years, but I was just wondering what is more reliable for the long-term for the purpose of just storage, a SSD or a HDD.

Comments

• CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Both SSDs and HDDs will fail with time, but an SSD has no moving parts that can break. An HDD would be a lot cheaper if you have many TB of data... I think it's best to store important data on multiple storage devices. My Sims stuff is on an SSD, and I have backups on an internal HDD and an external HDD. I'm thinking of getting a USB-stick with enough space for my important files.

You should always have backups on some kind of external device that you don't keep plugged in to anything. A lightning strike nearby could wipe out all data on your computer and devices that are plugged in, poof, just like that.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited February 2023
    HDD is cheaper but if it's use very often the data may be corrupted and the HDD may break.
    Some companies like Seagate set a limit in order to force you to buy a new HDD.
    Western Digital seems to be more reliable.

SDD if it's a cheap model, it may break quickly.
    If you deleted files by mistake, no recover software will be able to restore the data.
    Transfer of big data like games and movies is faster.

After using SSD for years, I had no issue with Samsung (EVO series), Crucial and OCZ.

I've got a backup on SSD (always power up) and the copy on an external HDD (plugged only when it's synchronized).
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,319 EA Community Manager
    HDD is cheaper but if it's use very often the data may be corrupted and the HDD may break.
    Some companies like Seagate set a limit in order to force you to buy a new HDD.
    Western Digital seems to be more reliable.

SDD if it's a cheap model, it may break quickly.
    If you deleted files by mistake, no recover software will be available to restore the data.
    Transfer of big data like games and movie is faster.

After using SSD for years, I had no issue with Samsung (EVO series), Crucial and OCZ.

I've got a backup on SSD (always power up) and the copy on an external HDD (plug only when it's synchronized).

Second the Samsung EVO's. When I built my new PC I went with 2 2TB M.2's and no HDD and I've had nothing but positive experiences.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    I'd go for an SSD.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I only use the Samsung EVO SATA SSDs because they have been proven to be reliable, and the Samsung Magician software is great. An internal SSD for backups is nice, and they are good for external backups as well, but some functions in the Samsung Magician might not work if the SSD is connected via USB. Also, an external SSD needs to have power, to be used at least a couple of times a year or it could start losing data.
    cUrfGkA.gif