Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does it bother you to restart with new The Sims game (basegame only) ?

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    edited November 2022
    Yes, it feels empty.
    By the time I got my own copy of the Sims2, University was out. I didn't have to mess around with just the Base game. So when I made the switch to Sims3, it was a bit of a shock. There were so many 'missing' items and interactions. (Some of which never came back, I'm sorry to say) that I had a hard time enjoying it. In fact, even though I still played the dern thing every single day, I had quite the love/hate relationship with this game. Oddly enough, and perhaps it was due to my previous experience with just a Base game, I loved Sims 4 up front. The Sims, themselves, behavior was way more like those in Sims2. Not quite as quirky, but still they were better than the frozen ones in Sims3. (By frozen I mean lacking in autonomous interactions.)

I seriously doubt I will be moving on to Sims5. Although, some of the teased bits seem intriguing, I am not at all on board playing online. Been there, done that, not eager to do it again.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    I waited until Livin Large was out for TS1. TS2 it was clear the graphics were good, so I waited a bit to get it. TS3 I got as soon most of the packs as they were released, just in time to get premium content features.

TS4 I actually pre-ordered, but I wish I hadn't. The base game was missing a lot of features that previous games had, and it went back to some of the worse features of the previous games. TS2, for instance, did not have color wheel or open world, and had lots of loading screens. TS1 base game was very skimpy on features and did not even have community lots at the start. It also came with only ONE world/neighborhood until the others were introduced later. TS3 base game, on the other hand, was much more fully featured. It too, came with only one world at the start, but it had a LOT of lots per world.

The only real advantage TS4 had with its base game at the start over the previous games was that you could change the venue type, Sims had a separate category for different types of jewelry, and Sims could travel between worlds/neighborhoods.

One thing we almost certainly can expect from a new base game:
    * Base games have never had weather, pets, or supernaturals in them.
    * They don't have all the skills or careers or lot types or hobbies/activities that we see introduced later in packs.
    * They also generally do not have more than one or two playable worlds/neighborhoods.
    * More often than not, not all life stages are included in the base game. In TS1, kids could only become adults with a magic charm, and there was no aging, toddlers, or elder life stage. In TS2, young adults were not introduced until the University EP. TS3 is the only one to date that actually included all the life stages at start.
    * The mode of transportation will certainly be either reduced or changed in the Sims 5/Sims 2025, whichever one they decide to use. Sims 1 had the carpool. Sims 2 had the fixer upper car, and more carpools, including a helicopter for Sims at the top of their career (I miss that). Sims 3 had cars, scooters, and joggers.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    I've been playing The Sims for nearly two decades now. I do honestly get a bit agitated going back to square one every time. I'm especially bothered by Seasons being an Expansion Pack that we have to wait years and years for when it's as natural as the day/night cycle. It brings the game to life in a way that no other EP does... It really should be a base-game feature. Then I'd be a lot more content.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    A little
    Yes and No. When I moved over to TS2 from The Sims I was very bothered by the fact Sims didn't have anywhere to go except the grocery store and some neighborhood pinball place out in the middle of nowhere. (Base Game). Coming from a game that had Hot Date, Vacations, and other community lots to visit I was desperate to build a restaurant, a hotel, a theater, etc. In TS2 most items were separated by community lot or residential and many of those needed objects couldn't be used either way. I finally figured out how to put a regular stove on a community lot (after a few patches I guess) and my own Sims went to my makeshift restaurant and served dinner for everyone there. It was better than nothing. :|

Moving to TS3 I was so desperate for community lots in the base. The only open lot places to go were the museum and the library :'( I was miserable with just those places and even with the ocean no swimming! Yes and No, because though TS4 had community lots like a bar in in the base it still didn't have the depth of the Sim in its game so yeah, I guess it actually does bother me.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    It usually takes some time to getting the sims from the household bin into the neighborhoods or world and find out which changes are needed for a decent life for the sims.
  • Stephanie8509Stephanie8509 Posts: 49 Member
    Sorry for being slow, but did I miss something? Is there any specific reason that we'd need to play with the basegame only? Or is this due to it being released to the general public for free, and since those people may be new to the franchise, they'd ONLY HAVE the basegame to start with? If that's the case, then yeah I don't think it'd be that intriguing as a newcomer because there definitely isn't enough substance there...
    I do like the visuals a little better in TS4 - they seem clearer. It seems like they're wearing the clothes whereas they look painted on in TS3. But the meat and bones was there in TS3 in a way they've never been for TS4.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Not all.
    Sorry for being slow, but did I miss something? Is there any specific reason that we'd need to play with the basegame only? Or is this due to it being released to the general public for free, and since those people may be new to the franchise, they'd ONLY HAVE the basegame to start with? If that's the case, then yeah I don't think it'd be that intriguing as a newcomer because there definitely isn't enough substance there...
    I do like the visuals a little better in TS4 - they seem clearer. It seems like they're wearing the clothes whereas they look painted on in TS3. But the meat and bones was there in TS3 in a way they've never been for TS4.

Project Rene, aka Sims 5
  • Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    I do not purchase a new sims game until it has a few expansions, game packs otherwise I know I will tire with it quickly.
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?
  • Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    BariSaxy wrote: »
    I've been playing The Sims for nearly two decades now. I do honestly get a bit agitated going back to square one every time. I'm especially bothered by Seasons being an Expansion Pack that we have to wait years and years for when it's as natural as the day/night cycle. It brings the game to life in a way that no other EP does... It really should be a base-game feature. Then I'd be a lot more content.

I agree totally with you, we can only hope that "they the sims team" are looking at what other games say they are going to offer at the start of their games... but not counting on it.
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 995 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    Always feel off when a new version is due. It’s like losing something I care about and have invested time on. Sometimes fav families move over but they are not the same.
  • Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    Not all.
    I think many of the Newer players each time complain a lot about everything being missing, but as a well seasoned player I expect it... As long as it, at its core, is an upgrade from the previous game at it's core.

TS4 was not an upgrade and why I skipped it. Now, TS5 will be in an unusual place. It will easily be an upgrade from TS4 if it's not rushed out the door like I feel TS4 was. But certain players will still compare it to TS1,2,and 3. Myself included.

EA should not try to build it whole in the Base Game with Seasons, Pets, and other EP items included. Those Items are better if the EA programmers get time to focus on them separately. Trust me. Though EA, If you're reading this, you get points each time your packs update components of other packs, and not just the Base Game stuff. Which is why I get a little worried when TS4 is released so stripped down it doesn't have Pool Tables, and needs a patch to give players Toddlers, Pools, and Hot Tubs.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    Even with the previous games that had fuller base games, I never transitioned to the next Sims game immediately, I always waited for DLC that interested me first. Sims 3 is considered the most full base game in the franchise and even that isn't enough to keep me entertained. I started playing Sims 2 first, but it wasn't my own copy, it was my step-sister's, and we took turns playing and back-seat gaming whenever I would visit my Dad & them. She already had a ton of DLC when I first started playing with her. Then I didn't move on to Sims 3 until the Supernatural expansion came out. And I didn't touch Sims 4 until they added Vampires and Toddlers.

I need good occult and family game play to draw me to a new Sims game. So I won't be touching Sims 5 until we have the DLC I want out, and probably then I'll wait for a sale and get a few packs all at once to start with.
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,612 Member
    edited December 2022
    Yes, it feels empty.
    The only reason I would say yes is because of how we get info about upcoming packs for TS4. It's all secretive... we don't get any details really on what's coming. With the previous games you received inserts and info way ahead of time of what was coming. I don't want to go through what we are going through with TS4 again. Also, they need to include basic things like Seasons and Pets in the base game. I don't think we should wait for those packs again.

Edit: Also, like other said, the base game needs to be fuller. We need all life stages. That is also why I say things like seasons, pets and apartments should be base game content. And they should do it well, like how they would do it if it was a EP. I know it will be more work but I think these features should no longer be EP content.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Other choice ...
    Haven't played Sims 4 for months, though get the latest additions just in case I want to play again.

I definitely won't be moving on to a new game. I'll leave it to the kids.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    edited December 2022
    A little
    For me, base games tend to feel empty after I remove the DLC from them. Then the emptiness just shocks me. I remember how shocked I was that The Sims 2 base game only has 2 fridges, even though I knew there were two of them. I'm just used to the wider choice I guess...

The new base game is new. Yet I still sometimes think back to previous games' pets, seasons, universities, occults etc...
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    No bare minimum game for my money either. I would wait til something was worth buying. Nobody would buy a car that came on the market with only the no trim options, and I feel the same way about just base game now due to sims4 being so lacking with no packs. it's still pretty lacking even with all the packs because of how it was built.

So I would be content to watch and wait, on sims5. And maybe not buy at all if it comes with no ability to play offline, etc.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 367 Member
    Other choice ...
    I have played all four Sims but never got them when base game was released
    Waited til either they came bundled such as the first one, and for 2, 3 a few packs were released. 4 and a pack was gifted to me the first time, Second time when my account was stolen from a ex and their was nothing EA could do. Waited til 4 was on sale and re purchased along with two bundles
    So never played just base game
  • MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    Not all.
    Not at all, at least when it came to TS1 through TS3. I'm a diehard SIMS3 fan. I have tried SIMS 4 but it's just not a game version I enjoy. I'm not that excited about this new project either. I am in "wait and see" mode in regards to the new project.
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • MeigMeig Posts: 27 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    Yeah I hate transitioning to a new game. Like I love the game by the time its overly complex and interesting, but then we switch to the next one... it's sad every time.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    Moving on to a new iteration of The Sims early on just means restarting the waiting game. Waiting for Seasons again, for pets, for witches, more worlds, university, a fame system... The first three of those were my requirements to switch from TS2 to TS4. I ended up switching earlier anyway, not by choice, but because TS2 wouldn't run on my PC anymore, but at least TS4 already had a few expansions by then. Now it's 8 years old and we're still waiting for things, some of which are so basic that you'd expect them to be included in the base game from the getgo, but they weren't. I am under no illusion that TS5 will be any different, and have no interest in playing the waiting game again, and especially paying for everything again. So, as broken as TS4 is, I'll probably stick with it until either I get tired of it or technology once again forces me to move on.
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,103 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    Yeah, I can't bear it! There is so little in the base game. It would get very boring very quickly. I hope The Sims 5 has more from the start.
  • Fragaria_ananasaFragaria_ananasa Posts: 26 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    Playing with only the basegame installed would feel empty/ weird to me.

I think the worlds come more to life with the change of seasons/ weather. It doesn't feel realistic enough to me when the weather is always the same.

The same counts for animals in the game. At least sims 1 and 2 had more animals in the basegame compaired to 4 (I do not know about 3, I didn't play it). I wouldn't need big animals for that. I would just be happy with some hamster or guiny pig beside the fish bowls. Or some random birds sitting on my lot once in a while. Just like the one flying around the scarecrow.
  • MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 371 Member
    edited December 2022
    Yes, it feels empty.
    In my opinion, certain features in expansions packs should become base game. The reason the base game feels empty is because basic life simulator features are chopped and package into separate packs.

You shouldn't have to pay extra to add seasons and weather to a life sim. That should be base game. Content in generations that expand each life state should be base game. Careers such as doctor, scientist, and detective in Get To Work should've been included in base game.

If EA wasn't so intent on milking the sims for money by cutting features to be added in a seperate pack, the base game would have a lot more content.

The base game for the Sims is important as it sets the standard for what to expect. It's also the introduction to the sims game and you want to put out the best experience to keep people playing. I wouldn't have an issue with starting with a new base game so long as it's good and has substance.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    Not all.
    It doesn't bother me as I don't uninstall previous versions so can play them while the new one progresses.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Ti4558Ti4558 Posts: 6 New Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    Honestly, expansions are the only thing keeping me from playing the game. There are too many things I cannot live without that are included in packs.