Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

(Discontinued) Metior_Ice’s Story Thread

Comments

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,663 Member
    @Metior_Ice You're not alone there. I'd guess about half of the characters I create I take the time to research the meaning of their name. I have links to sites to find names for different ethnicities saved so that I can look them over when creating sims. I've often wondered how many others do that. I feel like it gives them more depth and makes them more relatable.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    @Metior_Ice Great segment. With Zephr never catching to his brother, I confess, I began to worry something untoward had happened to him.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,094 Member
    @Metior_Ice You're not alone there. I'd guess about half of the characters I create I take the time to research the meaning of their name. I have links to sites to find names for different ethnicities saved so that I can look them over when creating sims. I've often wondered how many others do that. I feel like it gives them more depth and makes them more relatable.

Most of my merfolk have Gaelic names, and their appearance is based on Havmand and Havfrue. They are the variation of merfolk made popular by Hans Christian Andersen’s the Little Mermaid. Denmark has 2 statues dedicated to him. One is the well known Little Mermaid Statue, and the other one is Hans, the Little Merman.

As far as I know, Mermen and Mermaids have a presence around the world, but their popular appearance is Scandinavian in origin. Kind of a fun fact considering merfolk were introduced with a pack focused on Polynesian Culture.
    @Metior_Ice Great segment. With Zephr never catching to his brother, I confess, I began to worry something untoward had happened to him.

You should know by now that I’m very protective of my twins. I wouldn’t let any harm come to them, but I’m glad I was able to pull off some suspense!
    Metior_Ice wrote: »

Most of my merfolk have Gaelic names, and their appearance is based on Havmand and Havfrue. They are the variation of merfolk made popular by Hans Christian Andersen’s the Little Mermaid. Denmark has 2 statues dedicated to him. One is the well known Little Mermaid Statue, and the other one is Hans, the Little Merman.

As far as I know, Mermen and Mermaids have a presence around the world, but their popular appearance is Scandinavian in origin. Kind of a fun fact considering merfolk were introduced with a pack focused on Polynesian Culture.

You should know by now that I’m very protective of my twins. I wouldn’t let any harm come to them, but I’m glad I was able to pull off some suspense!

That is an interesting fact. I never gave much thought to the origin of merfolk mythology. I always associated their story with tropical islands even though their presence in stories isn't limited to those areas. I think it's because if I think of the sea I think of pirates, and they're most often associated with the Caribbean, and not just because of Disney. My mom's father was also a fisherman or sport fisherman in and around the West Palm Beach/Riviera Beach/Lantana area. I remember visiting a few times when I was little so when I think of the sea, I think of that area by default. The first time I ever saw the ocean was Singer Island.
    @DaniRose2143

Merfolk have many different names and very different appearances and lore depending on the part of the world you look at.

Some names are as follows:
    Havmand (Masculine) (Scandinavian Merman)
    Havfrue (Feminine) (Scandinavian Mermaid)
    Nix (Masculine) (I don’t know much about him, but I think he’s the German Merman I think he’s technically a type of fairy. There might be more blurring between gender here.)
    Nixie (Feminine) (Same situation as Nix, but the German Mermaid.)
    Triton (Masculine) (The Ancient Greek Merman)
    Nereid (Feminine) (Short of calling them mermaids, Tritons and Mermaids in Ancient Greece were separate mythical beings. Sirens and Mermaids are also technically entirely different mythical beings too.)
    Neck (Masculine) (Only male appearances. Sometimes called the water horse and a shapeshifter that is sometimes depicted with a human torso and fish tail.)
    Fossgrim (Masculine) (Only male appearances. The thing that makes Fossgrim different from Neck is where he’s found. He shares many similarities with Neck.)
    Merrow (Different appearances depending on gender.)
    Mami Wata (Feminine) (I believe African in origin and lore spread to the Caribbean and Amazon. Only female appearances.)

I’ve also heard of Ningyo from Japan.

Honestly the list goes on and on, but the separation of gender seems to be a consistent pattern.

The consequence of gendered terminology is that an exclusively female term like “Mermaid” only covers half of plural, gender-neutral “Merfolk.” Mermen actually have their own lore that uses male terminology. It’s actually a very interesting topic, especially since merfolk lore exists globally, but simultaneously separated by a vast amount time and space.

• luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,552 Member
    @Metior_Ice, finally caught up. Very interesting first couple of episodes. I like the world building you've done so far.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
    @DaniRose2143

Merfolk have many different names and very different appearances and lore depending on the part of the world you look at.

Some names are as follows:
    Havmand (Masculine) (Scandinavian Merman)
    Havfrue (Feminine) (Scandinavian Mermaid)
    Nix (Masculine) (I don’t know much about him, but I think he’s the German Merman I think he’s technically a type of fairy. There might be more blurring between gender here.)
    Nixie (Feminine) (Same situation as Nix, but the German Mermaid.)
    Triton (Masculine) (The Ancient Greek Merman)
    Nereid (Feminine) (Short of calling them mermaids, Tritons and Mermaids in Ancient Greece were separate mythical beings. Sirens and Mermaids are also technically entirely different mythical beings too.)
    Neck (Masculine) (Only male appearances. Sometimes called the water horse and a shapeshifter that is sometimes depicted with a human torso and fish tail.)
    Fossgrim (Masculine) (Only male appearances. The thing that makes Fossgrim different from Neck is where he’s found. He shares many similarities with Neck.)
    Merrow (Different appearances depending on gender.)
    Mami Wata (Feminine) (I believe African in origin and lore spread to the Caribbean and Amazon. Only female appearances.)

I’ve also heard of Ningyo from Japan.

Honestly the list goes on and on, but the separation of gender seems to be a consistent pattern.

The consequence of gendered terminology is that an exclusively female term like “Mermaid” only covers half of plural, gender-neutral “Merfolk.” Mermen actually have their own lore that uses male terminology. It’s actually a very interesting topic, especially since merfolk lore exists globally, but simultaneously separated by a vast amount time and space.

Your depth of knowledge and passion for the subject are wonderful and fascinating. Triton and Sirens, especially the later, are terms most of us are familiar with but not in the truest sense of what they actually are. I admit I'm one of them. I know Triton, but not as a group of beings, but as one singular entity, the god of the sea. Sirens and mermaids are terms I had thought of as interchangeable. I love the depth your story brings to the forums and the game, and I enjoy the knowledge I gain.

edited November 2022
    @DaniRose2143 The Tritones are Greek Mythology’s Ocean equivalent of the Satyr.
    edited November 2022
    But, it’s like I said, the term mermaid is exclusively female and do to the nature of how keyword searches work, exclude all the exclusively male merman variations like Havmand, Blue Man, Tritones, Fossgrim, Neck, and etc. All of those variations often have depictions that we would popularly consider “Mermen” and make up what “Mermen” are.

——————

On a separate note, Selkie and Finfolk are worth looking into too.
    Honestly, if anyone has questions or want sources, I’d be happy to share some of what I found. I’m looking forward to writing my next update!
    Honestly, if anyone has questions or want sources, I’d be happy to share some of what I found. I’m looking forward to writing my next update!

Well if you're going to put an open invite like that out there, I'll ask... Given the Polynesian overtones of the mer-folk in Sims 4, have you looked into Polynesian folklore regarding them? If so, can you point me to any good summary resources for the casual researcher and/or share a quick summary of any info you may have found?
    edited November 2022

Well if you're going to put an open invite like that out there, I'll ask... Given the Polynesian overtones of the mer-folk in Sims 4, have you looked into Polynesian folklore regarding them? If so, can you point me to any good summary resources for the casual researcher and/or share a quick summary of any info you may have found?

I’ll need a bit of time to find something, but there are a few terms I found. I haven’t done a lot of in depth research into it yet.

What I’ve found on the superficial level is Vatea from Cook Island.

Dagon from the Philistines.

Mo’o seem to be the closest thing to a Mermaid. They are water spirits, and from what I’ve been able to gather, most merfolk are often a type of water spirit. This is a link to what looks like a Hawaiian Native site. I can’t think of a more direct source to start looking.

https://www.malamamakua.org/moo-of-mkua-valley#

As for mermen, I would start by looking into Shark Men. Sharks are of great importance to Hawaiian Culture, and I would start with Deities like Nanaue.

I don’t know any specific myths or stories, but a lot of native cultures have an oral tradition of storytelling. Stories have a lot of importance to different native cultures. The biggest challenge would be finding a story told via oral tradition that is written down.

Most of my merfolk research came to a stand still because there are some things that are hard to find on the internet like information in a book that can only be obtained in another country for example. Not everything is digital.
    edited November 2022
    @luciusstorm Ukupanipo Hekekia and Kalamainu’u Iona are names to look up too. They aren’t random names they used in Island Living.

Also, Collect the Sunken Treasure. There’s an interesting hidden sims story there.
    edited November 2022
    Chapter 3: The Guardians of the Sea

52507074807_b87f947fc3_b.jpg
    "About the twins, can I ask you something?" Calum inquired.

"Sure." Kemps answered.

52508107743_3cf1d187e8_b.jpg

"With your permission, I'd like to give them a chance to go on land and spend some time with humans." Calum smiled at the idea. "I think it would be good for them if they had more experience around them. It's already been a couple decades since they were born..."

52507556561_162f8a12af_b.jpg

"Absolutely not." Kemps waved off the idea. "It's dangerous, especially for them."

"Kemps, the twins will go on land on their own one day. It's better if they get a chance to learn about humans sooner than later."

"They are just merboys, children. They shouldn't leave the sea yet."

52507074807_b87f947fc3_b.jpg

"Kemps, you know that I met their mother on land. I can look after them and guide them."

"I don't know. Arihi wasn't a human to begin with."

"She's a Spirit of the Islands, an Island Elemental that gave up her place in the spirit realm to live with me in the sea," Calum said. "She made that choice after you forbid our family from returning to the land."

52507556521_d7be9fd303_b.jpg

"All the more reason to keep them in the sea where it's safe." Kemps made up his mind.

"Why? When they were born from me and Arihi's songs, they inherited my tail and their mother's elemental powers. They are more than just young mermen."

"I still don't think it's safe. They still need to learn how to use their powers responsibly."

52508107713_52023737ca_b.jpg

"It's a struggle. I get it. The land was ruined by humans. While most of our kind fled, we stayed because it's our family's responsibility to protect the sea."

"The twins are mermen. They will inherit our family's resposnbility as all the mermen in our family have. But, they also inheirted their mother's responsibility to the Land. They didn't choose any of this, but when their mother became a mermaid, she passed the mantle onto them."

52508107668_912751fba4_b.jpg

"We will never die from old age. How many years will it take for you to finally change your mind. It's already been more than twenty years since you forbid taking human form." Calum argued. "At this rate, the pollution from the land will wash into the sea and be the end of us and all our kind."

"You aren't wrong. Mua Pel'Am is impossible to swim around without getting sick."

52507828224_76f0196583_b.jpg

"But, how will sending the twins on land change anything. What can we do to change anything? The humans abandoned the islands. Given enough time, the sea can recover."

"How long can our kind endure the pollution washing into the sea? There's so much that the humans left on land and no guarantee that waiting for nature to take its course will fix anything."

52508107653_ebbc593f0d_b.jpg

Kemps's expression lightened up. "You really want to return to the land don't you."

"Well, I won't lie. I miss the time I spent on land."

52508030580_453fb618fb_b.jpg

"I give. It's been a long time without anything getting better." Kemps smiled. "We'll give your way a chance."

"Thank you. I think we can make a difference this way."

52507074737_0cb9797b04_b.jpg

"You can be such a morbid drama llama sometimes." Kemps remarked.

52507556441_55cebc6350_b.jpg

"But, I've been thinking some of the same things lately."

52508107618_53b11b4749_b.jpg

"So, what's your genius plan?" Kemps asked.

"I'm thinking we can keep the twins safe from pollution by sending them to a human high school. There they can learn about humans and how they live. While they are away, we can try to do something about the ruins. The humans won't return to clean up their own mess. We have to do something."

52507828364_e2b9432194_b.jpg

"That's all well and good, but what's going to stop the humans from coming back when things are better."

"The humans will return, and that's why the twins need to learn how to blend in with them. Maybe, we could spread some awareness about how pollution hurts the sea and the islands."

52507828359_b48447b705_b.jpg

"Well, I'll follow your lead on this one for now. I'll see what I can do about cleaning up the island, but you need to convince the humans to stop polluting the sea. If the humans don't change, we will be right back where we started. The humans won't have to live through what we will."

"Maybe, maybe they will care enough about what their children will live through to change."

52507556391_1c202d3954_b.jpg

"It's possible, but I'm not sure. Humans are quick to forget and slow to remember. Every generation will have to learn from mistakes made in the past. Every generation will have to remember the consequences of not caring about the environment, the world they live in."

52507074657_63775d5461_b.jpg

"We can be the ones that remind them. We are the Guardians of the Sea. It's the responsbility of all Zalrian Mermen to protect the oceans. I think teaching others the value of protecting our worlds is a good way to live up to what we are meant to do."

52507828114_0365f8b921_b.jpg

"We can make a difference!" Calum enthused. "We just have to keep trying."

52507828104_968f743b70_b.jpg

"I believe you, and I have faith in you." Kemps said. "And, because I have faith in you, I will give humans another chance."

"Thank you Kemps," Calum said. "You've done so much already to protect us. But, we can't hide in a shell like a clam forever."

52508030480_fc53f4d92c_b.jpg

"The world is bigger than the seas around Sulani. The twins will need to experience it."

"It's the best way we can protect them. We have to teach them to swim on their own."

52507074562_b7f1eb11d1_b.jpg

"Of course, it's going to be up to you. As the Patriarch of the Zalrians, I give you my blessing to guide the twins as they take their first steps in the human world."

"I won't let you down." Calum thanked his older brother.

52507074552_8700f8089c_b.jpg

"Now, I think we need to take a day or two to learn how to walk again." Kemps joked.

"True, we haven't used our human forms in a long time." Calum laughed.

52508030365_a2a98028be_b.jpg
    Post edited by Metior_Ice on
    @Metior_Ice, very nice... I'm really interested in seeing how this develops.
    @luciusstorm thank you! Normally, I told stories in the order they happened in my game. I’m trying something new. I already have an idea where High School is going to go, but I need to set things up.

On a side note, I personally love how much of the gameplay has happened at night or when it’s raining. The darker undertones from the darker lighting has made things more interesting. I feel like I’ve been able to use lighting to help tell the story.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    @Metior_Ice I enjoyed your segment and can't wait to see how it all pans out. The twins in high school could be a hoot, too.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    @Metior_Ice That was a wonderful chapter. One of the truest things in life is that nothing will change simply by wishing. Wishing for change is fine, but it takes action to make it reality. Thankfully Kemps saw the truth in Calum's words.
    @GalacticGal I’m very close to a high school update!

@DaniRose2143 Kemps has spent so much time trying to protect his family that for a long time he thought the best thing he could do is secure a safe haven until nature ran its course. But, waiting for change doesn’t really help anyone. Waiting for someone else to fix another’s mess isn’t a kindness.
    I’m going to prioritize writing my next update this afternoon. I’ve had a crazy busy couple of weeks, and I’ve been unable to write or play any games. 😭

I’ll have a lot to catch up on with all the stories I’m following too!

I’ll have more updates with my merfolk soon, I hope.

🔱🧜🏻‍♂️🧜🏻‍♀️🧜🏽‍♂️🧜🏽‍♀️🔱
    @Metior_Ice, looking forward to it whenever you feel like getting to it. We'll be here. :)
    edited December 2022
    Chapter 4: An Introduction to Human Teens before High School

52500251855_e33d3d71f2_b.jpg
    The twins returned home after visiting Mua Pel'Am. The sun was setting, and they knew their parents and uncle would feel better if they were home. Sunset and Sunrise was the time most ocean predators were active, to take advantage of other marine creatures going to sleep and waking up.

"So, we never found anything left behind by other merfolk." Dylan said.

"We might have left too early, but it did take a while to swim to Mua Pel'Am. We needed the same amount of time to get home." Zeph replied.

52499773461_7a9486befa_b.jpg

"Eventually, we'll need to go back and clean up the ocean." Dylan gestured toward the open sea. "We'll need help though."

"I could feel it. It was really unpleasant to swim around that island."

52499286817_301c1ae608_b.jpg

"Maybe we'll find other merfolk around the sea that can help!" Dylan waved his hands in the air. "We could ask our cousins and the triplets!"

52500057094_ebe4d12cb5_b.jpg

"That would make seven of us. I've seen a few mergirls and a couple other merboys around too. We could always ask them for help too!" Dylan enthused.

"It's worth a try. But, the trips will need their Patriarch's Permission. Who knows if Kemps will give us or our cousins permission to take human form? We can't exactly do much about the trash without going on land. Our tails don't exactly help us there."

"Believe me, I know. Even after all the times we snuck off to walk on land. We're still stumbling with legs, a human form always feels so unnatural."

52500057074_d5a6644f90_c.jpg

While the twins chatted, their father swam up to them.

"I've got great news!" Calum couldn't contain his excitement. "I managed to persuade Kemps to let us go on land. That means, you two will be able to use your human form without braking any rules!"

Before the twins could respond, Calum continued.

"I know, I know. You probably have a million questions, and yes, you won't be spending more time than absolutely nessecary without your tail. Legs give all merfolk trouble, as I'm sure you learned. Trust me when I say, it's impossible to walk without stumbling once in a while. That's just how it is for us. But, there is still so much to be excited about!"

52500251855_e33d3d71f2_b.jpg

"There's also a condition you must follow," Calum added. "You two will meet humans for the first time at a human high school. That's right, you will spend time at a place that all humans are required to go to. I know you are both much older than the other humans there, but as merboys, you will blend in better around something humans call "teens"."

52499770761_ab86839e24_c.jpg

"What are "teens"?" Zeph asked.

"Only the most tempremental age humans live through!" Calum answered. "They can be difficult to understand sometimes. They also experience things called "Phases" and have something called "Mood Swings"."

52499286127_b520fdfc89_c.jpg

"When around human teens, you'll need to make sure you are mindful of how unpredictable "teens" can be," Calum explained. "As merlings, you might be able to relate to a "teen" easier than full fledged merfolk."

"Are mood swings like our high and low tides?" Dylan asked.

52500056424_091f8e0c42_c.jpg

"Exactly like your tides!" Calum advised. "Human moods change like the tides and they go through highs and lows like us."

52500251520_d35ea6b0b4_c.jpg

"I have no doubt that Dylan will notice their every mood," Zeph smiled. "He's always much more aware of my tides. He's always been like that."

"You're better about resolving the problems that cause changes in a tide," Dylan added. "I'm sure you'll be solving a lot of what affects a teens mood."

"I want both of you to stay close when among humans," Calum said. "You can help each other navigate the world of teens. It'll be good experience."

52500056379_65ca62d46d_c.jpg

Before the twins could swim around in excitement, Calum had one more condition for being around humans.

"Humans look different from us. I mean, they have their "outfits" for different occasions," Calum explained. "Because we live in the sea and are immune to most weather conditions, merfolk don't wear much. We don't need to and there's no real benefit to us. But, humans are different. They have more outfits than we'll ever need because they can freeze in the cold and overheat in the sun. You'll have to do your best to dress like humans while around humans."

52500252005_29719883ee_z.jpg

"But, we don't have any outfits. Like you said, we never needed them." Zeph wondered how they could blend in with humans without "outfits".

"I have the solution to that problem," Calum answered. "Now, it's been a long time since I've used a human form, but I remember some of the tricks I used to blend in with them. I found some "Shirts" left behind by humans and made the rest of the outfits from stuff that drifted in the sea. We'll have to do more to help you blend in better, but these outfits should be a good start."

52500327863_ddbac1c123_c.jpg

"Zeph, are you ready to learn more about humans?!"

"Naturally," Zeph answered.

52500056709_63b422ec25_c.jpg

Calum and the twins went on land, and their father gave them the outfits he created.

52499772716_675a5c323a_b.jpg

52500054439_1d94072831_b.jpg

"You'll need to go to the human high school soon. These will help." Calum added. "It's not going to be perfect, and you might still look out of place. However, it's better than nothing."

Along another shore, Kemps made his first attempt at walking in a very long time.

52513184634_55265e8b5a_b.jpg

'I got this,' Kemps thought. 'Just as easy as learning to swim.'

52512442692_265a333af5_b.jpg
    Post edited by Metior_Ice on
    @Metior_Ice... humans are weird. Teens are weird even for humans. The twins are in for an interesting time
    @luciusstorm And despite not being human, the twins might be more like humans than they think.

Except of course their:

1. Ability to Control the Weather
    2. Ability to Sing Pitch Perfectly
    3. Eternal Youth
    4. Immunity to Extreme Temperatures
    5. Ability to Breathe Underwater
    6. Ability to talk to fish and communicate with marine life
    7. Natural Musical Talent
    8. Ability to Charm and Inspire
    9. Ability to sow sorrow and tension
    10. Swim Faster
    11. Ability to communicate freely underwater
    12. Summon creatures from the deep
    13. Ability to mimic the Siren’s Song
    14. Summon Lava Bombs
    15. Pass Judgment on Islanders
    16. Their immunity to Lightning and their ability to discharge lightning if they are struck often enough
    17. Dylan’s Piper Music (Power over others through music)
    18. Dylan’s ability to sway emotions with Art (Emotional Aura imbued in Art)
    19. Zeph’s Charm Speak (The simple yet effective power of persuasion)
    20. Zeph’s Ingenuity (His ability to unlock the hidden potential in technology of all kinds)
    21. Ability to increase the Vitality of Plants

I’m sure nothing could possibly happen when they get comfortable in high school…
    @luciusstorm but, humans are weird, and I think it will be fun once I start exploring things from the perspective of the twins.

While Calum has experience with humans, (I don’t have his exact age in mind. He’s not an “Original Merman” and like his brothers, he was born from two merfolk songs and sea foam.) he might be a little rusty when it comes to what he knows about present day humans.

But Dylan and Zeph will be completely new to humans, I definitely feel like it will be a challenge to write their time in high school… they will need their dad’s guidance. Maybe, Arihi will give them their most reasonable advice. Lol.