Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Positive Thoughts Discussion: Project Rene

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
This thread is for simmers looking forward to Project Rene. The negativity thread is here.
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    I can't wait to see what the Sims look like! Sims 4 is the first version I've not needed any CAS cc so hope that will be the case with Project Rene.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I have not been silent about my wanting TS5 (in my mind, it couldn't come soon enough), so I'm very pleased it's officially out in the open and we can discuss it freely instead of feeling like it's a "dirty little secret" that gets shoved clear to the underbelly of the forum, like The Fight Club.

“The First Rule Of TS5 Is: You Do Not Talk About TS5. The Second Rule Of TS5 Is: You Do Not Talk About TS5.”

And, I'm super stoked that they are bringing back some form of the colorwheel and a CASt type option!!!

Because honestly when I saw the interview from years ago with James Turner and Lindsay Pearson, he asked about there wasn't some form of it in TS4 and essentially she said because it caused performance issues

So at best I thought we might get something similar to how TS2 was done where parts of the mesh were separated and had their own texture so it could be changed.

Although that system was innovating for the time, it also was horrible in the fact that every single recolor was its own .package file and it was nothing to have like 50 packages just to recolor the exact same object (like bedding)!

But it was also nice that all those recolors all attached to that object and you could easily view them in the catalog of that one item, unlike recolors for TS4 where they're all their own packages and they take up a lot of catalog space (and endless scrolling!)

But, I'm trying not to get too excited since it's a super, super, super long way away from releasing.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited October 2022
    I'm very pleased it's officially out in the open and we can discuss it freely instead of feeling like it's a "dirty little secret" that gets shoved clear to the underbelly of the forum, like The Fight Club.

“The First Rule Of TS5 Is: You Do Not Talk About TS5. The Second Rule Of TS5 Is: You Do Not Talk About TS5.”

LOL!!
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,652 Member
    edited October 2022
    I can't wait to see what the Sims look like! Sims 4 is the first version I've not needed any CAS cc so hope that will be the case with Project Rene.

I'd like to see things like height difference, more body type presets, and more customization to their bodies. I would love to see hair physics. Long hair that moved realistically instead of being static would be cool.
    I noticed some nice quality-of-life features like being able to favorite buy mode objects.
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    I have a small bit of hope for this game, the gameplay they showed had some really great ideas. But overall I am worried.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited October 2022
    As someone who really really likes sims 4 but just struggles with some of the basic design of it, I’m glad that this is coming. The weakest part of sims 4 is its core, so this is an excellent opportunity for them to build something that is fit to expand upon for years and years to come.

Things like dine out and my wedding stories just don’t function right because the base game wasn’t designed for that sort of gameplay. I’ve always bought into the theory that sims 4 wasn’t meant to be what it is and was repackaged from an online game so a new base game built from the ground up with clear understanding of what it is and will turn out to be is a great idea.

The phone support and online is a little worrying though it can work if they do it in the right way. I just hope they focus on making the best single player PC/Console experience first and foremost and EA don’t get too greedy. People are happy to buy packs, they just want the game to be good.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I'm super excited to see how the game develops and comes together. I'm really happy they are bringing back the Create A Style with some added features. I hope it works in the long run because I know it could be tricky with Sims 3 but it was one of my favorite features of the game. I also like the placing accent feature they showed. I know it's early development but it's been something I think the game has needed.

I too can't wait to see what the sims look like but I'm sure whatever early view they show won't be the final product, but still it'll be very exciting to see how it develops.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

Same here! I'm hoping they'll resemble Sims 4 Sims, but in way higher quality.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    I’m actually really looking forward to seeing this project grow.

The more I rewatch this part of the summit, the more impressed I am. The colour wheel and choosing patterns is great to see again. I love the cushion placement as well.
    Grouping items is also really good.

Next, I would love to see what the Sims will look like.

Although I wonder if Rene means rebirth, the name will be just The Sims or the The New Sims or Sims - The next generation 🧬🤔🤷🏼‍♂️?
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
    Apartments in the base game! Thankfully. Now we can move newly created CAS families into apartments. No 20,000 simoleon handouts to immediately buy a home.
  • IVXXXVIIVXXXVI Posts: 140 Member
    I have a weird but good feeling that seasons will be added on base game or at least rain and wind. I think they can finally make it work.
    Hp85Jmm.gif
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 858 Member
    I don't want to get my hopes to high, but the thought of a new Sims game is so exciting. I am definitely growing tired of how broken TS4 has become and its lack of depth gets upsetting, so I am hoping with a new, more advanced and up-to-date game engine they can pull off a really good game. Also, I also hope you are right about basic weather. I definitely think it's possible and it would be great to have that in BG to enhance gameplay at the start.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    They can pull off anything with the Unreal Engine, provided the devs have the knowledge to do so. Which I'm sure they do. I really hope they bring back customization to the game again and expand on it. I also miss the quirky fun of Sims 1 and 2. Random lady jumping out of a cake? Yes, please! Aspiration failure? Bring it on! Making Magic 2.0? Definitely.
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 858 Member
    Oh yes please! I miss that so much
  • Okto84Okto84 Posts: 197 Member
    edited January 2023
    It's going to be the first version of the sims made from the ground up as a 64bit game. TS4 started out as 32bit and got updated some years later, so many design choices will still reflect the original design. The big difference is that 64bit can access a lot more memory. This makes it possible to create bigger play areas (potentially districts, rather than single lots) and to have more sims in an area.

Of course, there will also be competing demands for more memory, for example higher quality graphics. There will always be compromises, but there will be less in project rene than any previous game. I hope to see a more active world in terms of number of sims and the size of each playable area.
    Post edited by Okto84 on
  • honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    @Okto84 excellent point. here's hoping we get lively open neighborhoods.
  • LonelyWolfTalesLonelyWolfTales Posts: 44 Member
    I love TS4 and everything about it, but I do feel quite often that it could've been so much better if it wasn't for some mistakes in the early stage (multiplayer *cough cough*) which resolved in so many bugs and issues. I feel like a fresh start is exactly what the franchise needs and I'm really excited to see how TS5 turns out! :)
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 642 Member
    Project Rene is an excellent time to start with a clean slate and realize where you went wrong. TS4 was a rush job to market something out of a failed online spinoff, and it shows.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,652 Member
    I'm fairly pleased with the early look of the art style. I'm really curious to see what the sims themselves look like. I may be the only one, but I would love them to look exactly like they do now or really close. I've grown quite fond of their appearance. That's not to say I can't or won't be won over by a new look at some point. They might even win me over as soon as I see one.

I like what I'm hearing and seeing as far as customization of objects. I enjoyed hearing Grant say we could change not only colors of say furniture, but patterns, size, the type of fabric, and more. I can't begin to count all the objects in TS4 that I love the shape but they don't have the right swatch to go with the overall room design, or it's too small, all these little details. I know we can recolor objects through other programs, but it would be nice to modify those things right there in Build/Buy.

I'm happy to hear we won't be losing single player offline gameplay. That has always been my one non-negotiable requirement.
    Grant Rodiek said that Rene will not be an MMO. I think that's a good thing
    The prototype they showed with the mixed-used buildings (apartments with stores on ground floor) really stands out. We haven't seen much of this in other life sims.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top