Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

would you play rene as a subscribtion ?

Comments

• JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited November 2022
    yes
    I know everyone is opposed to a sub but if they used it instead of selling packs then I actually think it could be better than what we have for two big reasons.

1.) Everyone would have access to all the content which means that they’d have no reason not to patch ‘packs’ and make packs work with each other. Right now if they wanted to do something to island living, or make island living do something special with let’s say tiny living pack, they have to weigh up whether it’s worth spending time on something not everyone has. If everyone had everything we’d see improvements on this front.

2.) It wouldn’t really cost that much more if you buy every pack and for most people it would cost less. At the moment sims 4 is around $870 after 8 years. At $10 a month it would take 7 and a bit years to equal this. But you could unsubscribe when you’re not playing, so you’d likely pay less in the long run.

But I’d only pay a sub on the basis that was literally the only monetisation of the game. Which knowing EA they’d want to sell stuff packs or something still.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    yes
    I would just as long as it was a fair subscription like including frequent content/dlc etc.
  • DkaffeDkaffe Posts: 27 Member
    no
    I don't really see that working out for them. There are definitely better ways nowadays to have additional monetization without locking the game behind a monthly paywall. If anything such a paymodel is really out of place; back in the day there were no microtransactions or DLCs, games weren't as crazy monetized. Having a subscription based model in the current era of gaming is just a somewhat lazy cash grab and shouldn't be supported.

Furthermore, as someone already mentioned: they have the EA membership models. Would feel very akward to have multiple layers of subscriptions.
    r3Mheab.png
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    no
    Nope. Never. Even if it was the best game in the world I wouldn't pay monthly
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    no
    If you subscribed to the Sims 4 and looked at its track record for the last few years, you would pay a lot of monthly bills for the odd kit pack
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    no
    Not for me.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    no
    I voted no. I would not pay subscription fees for Sims 5.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    There should be a "Maybe" :)
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    no
    I already have an EA Play basic subscription. Unless Project Rene was included with that, I would not pay for another separate subscription.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited July 2023
    no
    I don't know.
    I will need to know how much the subscription is so I can calculate the cost across a number of years
    If it costs as much I would normally pay for packs over a number of years, or less than I might go for it.

This would be bad for people who don't buy all the packs though. They will probably spend more than they normally do.
    One thing that concerns me about this is EA could be less concerned about the quality of the extra content because they are going to get paid no matter what since the player's only option is to pay up or give up the game completely.

:p I just talked myself out of it.
    I can't support such a concept.

So, NO!
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    no
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    There should be a "Maybe" :)

Why
    Should be a NO

For people than say about way to afford DLC, just see Grand Theft Auto Online
    Rockstar gives us DLC without a monthly subscription
    no
    leo3487 wrote: »
    [...]

That is actually such a good point. Other franchises do something similar. From a community perspective it would be best to have all the DLCs be free and for EA to find a different way to monetize their game. Unfortunately, the current system is making so much money that I would assume it's unlikely for them to go down the "for free" route.

r3Mheab.png
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    no
    Dkaffe wrote: »
    leo3487 wrote: »
    [...]

That is actually such a good point. Other franchises do something similar. From a community perspective it would be best to have all the DLCs be free and for EA to find a different way to monetize their game. Unfortunately, the current system is making so much money that I would assume it's unlikely for them to go down the "for free" route.

Ways to monetize
    let me think, as GTA Online your character progress and shark cars are to have a money boost to buy in-game, ont apply to The Sims
    Could be the gallery. You have for free a limited space (number of households and buildings) when you buy the game
    Pay if want more space and be elegible for Maxis favorites
    no
    I think there are tons of options for additional monetization -- even stuff like a season pass like system would work really well with the Sims. The major problem for EA in that regard is the modding community. As a publisher they'd be shooting themselves in the knee if they actively restrict the possibilities for modding to make whatever they add to the game more interesting. Especially, when we are talking about the possible cross-platform game; mobile games get away with the absolute worst ways of monetization, and unfortunately, the industry is trying to slowly push this to PC and console.

I guess the only thing we can hope for is that they will find a fair and balanced way to monetize the game while continuously updating it with high quality content. At the end, we are talking about a mega corpo named EA with the sole purpose to push their numbers as much as possible. Kinda odd how most modern games potential is completely bottlenecked by the money people.
    r3Mheab.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited November 2022
    The fact is if exclusive bonus content is part of the subscription, as a collector it would be difficult to say "No"

As a "Release date" collector, it won't be a big deal because all the packs will be purchased at the end.
    TS3 Store was almost a $30 per month subscription.

This offer won't be interesting for the players who don't like all the themes.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 858 Member
    no
    Yeah, I have to vote no :( The idea of having to pay a monthly subscription to play a sims game for the rest of my life sounds costly and stressful lol.
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    yes
    Yes I would. As a matter of fact I think a subscription model would benefit the game as they dont have to lock features behind paid DLC anymore, such as seasons, pets etc. It means we would get more stuff sooner. Its what most companies do these days.
  • Lady_ElurinLady_Elurin Posts: 129 Member
    Nope.
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    no
    I’m old fashioned and I like to own what I paid for. I much prefer to spent money and just own the thing even if I’m not online. This is actually the only thing that worries me about new Sims game.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    no
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    Yeah, I have to vote no :( The idea of having to pay a monthly subscription to play a sims game for the rest of my life sounds costly and stressful lol.

same here
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • TzivaTziva Posts: 19 Member
    no
    I put "no" but I guess realistically if the cost ended up being cheaper long term than buying a bunch of DLCs over the life of the game, I might. But it would not only require it to be very low cost, but content would have to be released very frequently for me to justify paying.

But probably not, really.
  • lousha_lovelousha_love Posts: 45 Member
    no
    I feel so burned by sims 4 lack of in-depth game play, simple little details from previous iteration that are not included, the lack of everything on s4 release date... my list can go on and on but I'll stop there... Too late for long story short, but no... i absolutely will not pay a subscription for sims 5/project Rene. As a matter of fact, at this moment, I have absolutely no desire to invest in the next generation of the sims. I'm turned off just at the thought of it...
  • Creegecuhv7Creegecuhv7 Posts: 4 New Member
    I already have an EA Play basic subscription. Unless Project Rene was included with that, I would not pay for another separate subscription.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    no
    Hubby is planning on retiring in the next few years. He's our only income currently. So that once we're strictly on Social Security, if I get into paying monthly just to pursue my currently hobby, that will be difficult. I need to have access to my main genealogical site, which will be hard enough. I will be sticking to Sims4, so that I can play whenever I wish.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EmeraldDSEmeraldDS Posts: 42 Member
    no
    I would never pay for a subscription game. There are plenty of games I own that I bought and they can entertain me till the end of time even if all future video games became subscription based.

I also won't buy TS5 if it does the same DLC model as TS4, ie having a very barebones base game with overpriced DLCs for basic game features like seasons and pets. A few reasonably priced DLCs is fine as long as the base game stands on its own without any DLCs attached. I assume EA will want to do this DLC model, and that's their choice, but I won't be buying it in that case.