Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 is Internet-Only, Cloud-Based Subscription Game?

Comments

• simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    Internet-only like The Sims FreePlay and The Sims Mobile. Project Rene is also a mobile game.

Cloud-based like SimCity (2013). It's probably a requirement for multiplayer mode but it could also simplify the life of console/mobile players, it removes all the download time and the huge data storage. TS4 game with all the packs use 60 GB.

Subscription like online games but it's usually optional.
    For example SWTOR, the EP are free for the members and are paid content for the non-members.

Cons : Maintenance, server updates and server issues including ISP issues mean you can't play to the game during several hours.

From interviews, it seems like even Lyndsay Pearson isn't exactly sure what the game will turn out to be along those three capabilities: internet-only, cloud-based, and subscription
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Anybody using Origin and getting through to the Gallery should notice that the server they are using has only a few thousand using it when they do. I used to find about 75 thousand plus on there a few months ago and now I find only about 7 thousand there each time.
    EA/Maxis is already getting ready for Sims 5 and probably experimenting, putting many more local servers to use for it when it comes out.

I was commenting on a Cloud version several years ago here. Nobody seemed to find it viable. I did.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    Well, if this is true, I am done.
  • Lady_ElurinLady_Elurin Posts: 129 Member
    SimCity. Next!
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member
    If this is what they intend, I won't be buying. It's too bad, I've been playing the sims since the original game came out all those years ago.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • DkaffeDkaffe Posts: 27 Member
    Just throwing this in here: I don't see a cloud version happening. Besides technology not being advanced enough on a global scope, one of the biggest cloud platforms, Google Stadia, shut down. Forcing any always online shenanigans on their playerbase hasn't worked out for EA and received high amounts of criticism and bad PR.

I guess a lot of the things that might happen with Sims 5 / Project Rene are just a huge gamble. Considering that the real maxis was killed by EA in 2015 and they just keep using the name and the franchise because they own it -- well, that almost speaks for itself. And EAs history of doing business like this is quite long. The mobile devision received a huge push because mobile games offer insane amounts of revenue to a point that it's far superior to the rest of the gaming market. Of course, with the extra cherry on top that crazy predatory monetization somehow is accepted worldwide as long as we are talking about a mobile game.

I don't see a cloud service being good, and a subscription doesn't make sense either. Maybe they have everything on the table and talk about it but even from a business standpoint -- why would you try to push any of that stuff to your playerbase when there is no real benefit on the table? I mean sure, a subscription is easy and secure income but going for such a cheap cashgrab? I really don't know.

r3Mheab.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited November 2022
    Andrew Wilson see the games in the future working as a new social network.

Actually there is also the trend of Metaverse (social) and NFT (content creator).
    Many digital companies are moving their pieces toward this future.
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,061 Member
    I don't rent games. I buy them. Period.

Subscription-based games, software, etc? Never.

If I can't buy something outright (paid in full with full ownership), then I want nothing to do with it. I absolutely hate with a passion this ridiculous subscription-based direction the world is going in.

Most of us don't rent things in our life (house, cars, furnishings, electronics, clothing, etc), we buy them. Why would anyone in their right mind pay a monthly rental (aka subscription) for something that would otherwise cost under $100 to buy outright? Just imagine paying a monthly subscription for the Sims 5 over a period of 5-10 years PLUS all the costs to "purchase" the endless DLC's that will inevitably get added to the game over the years.... We're talking about a game that will easily end up costing upwards of $1500-$2000 (or more). For a video game.... that's disgusting.

As far as I'm concerned, any kind of subscription-based software/games is not only an easy money grab from these corporations, it's an outright blatant scam/con job.

Buying tangible goods vs renting digital 1's and 0's? This should be a no-brainer for consumers.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Andrew Wilson see the games in the future working as a new social network.

Actually there is also the trend of Metaverse (social) and NFT (content creator).
    Many digital companies are moving their pieces toward this future.

A game is different from a social network, it serves a different purpose. They could make the social bunny application for real and create a world or several for it where social bunnies could gather and interact sort of like in 2nd life but they should leave the game be a game, people won't be attracted to it if it loses it's purpose as a game. Sure, there will be a social network, but it won't be a game. Simmers can spend hours in the game with no social interaction, maybe that's exactly what attracts them to the game, the lack of social aspect and the drama that usually comes with it.
    edited November 2022
    A game is different from a social network, it serves a different purpose.

But The Sims is more than a game, it's also a tool that allows artists to express their creativity and share it with other people.

Instagram, Twitter and TikTok are places where people share content, interest and meet new people.

The Sims with multiplayer mode could be a place where players share content, interest and meet other players.
    We already follow Mod/CC creators, Gallery creators, YouTube channels, ...

Like the social networks, there are simmers who became popular (international level) thanks to their Sims content.

I already imagine me following in-game the stories of the households made by somebody else, a popular storyteller
    (Community Neighborhood Stories).
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
    A game is different from a social network, it serves a different purpose.

But The Sims is more than a game, it's also a tool that allows artists to express their creativity and share it with other people.

Instagram, Twitter and TikTok are places where people share content, interest and meet new people.

The Sims with multiplayer mode could be a place where players share content, interest and meet other players.
    We already follow Mod/CC creators, Gallery creators, YouTube channels, ...

Like the social networks, there are simmers who became popular (international level) thanks to their Sims content.

I already imagine me following in-game the stories of the households made by somebody else, a popular storyteller

Wouldn't following in game the stories made by some popular storyteller imply that they would be able to stream directly from the game and not via Twitch of Youtube? You would need to be connected via audio and video to their game, and I am not sure they will be able to do that with thousands or millions of followers.
    edited November 2022
    @crocobaura

Story Progression in TS3 and Neighborhood Stories in TS4 don't need YouTube or Twitch to work.
    Notifications or just meet these "NPC" could be enough to discover what is happening in their life.

A lot of players share their stories by posting screenshots and text.
    Maxis could bring back this TS2 feature :

sims-110.png

I mean these sims are invited in my world as NPC townies but I don't really see yet how the multiplayer mode should work.

@crocobaura

Story Progression in TS3 and Neighborhood Stories in TS4 don't need YouTube or Twitch to work.
    Notifications or just meet these "NPC" could be enough to discover what is happening in their life.

A lot of players already share their stories by posting screenshots and text.

Maxis could bring back this TS2 feature (screenshot and text for storytelling)

sims-110.png

I mean these sims are invited in my world as NPC townies but I don't really see yet how the multiplayer mode should work.

Oh, you mean like a sort of in game notification you send out to your followers of what your sims are doing? To be honest, I don't find that particularly interesting, I mean I don't check out what my own sims are doing while I am playing other households, I don't think I would I be interested to follow another simmer's sims on a regular basis. Being able to send screenshots from the game with a bit of accompanying text as a sort of postcard to other simmers in game and to social media, might be fun, sort of like the threads we have here on the forum about what happened in game and screenshots. But I wouldn't want to be bombarded with these notifications from everyone I follow, especially if someone abuses such functionality. As for stories, no one has time for that, the stories will be buried deep down in the gallery just like anything else that is posted there. The only reason some gallery updates have lots of views and downloads is because of all the social media.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Also the ceo never said it's a cloud game.
    Great analysis/speculation video from @SimmerErin "Sims 5 May REQUIRE A Subscription. Here's Why. (Cloud Gaming)"

https://youtu.be/Le_lOQhHEXg

sjeznosuyeu9.png
    0e0q3na4euct.png
    5z2dmcs3i16v.png
    9u1cb2x18h9x.png
    xnmbz64pmtj0.png

Alright re reading the quote .I don't think this implies anything.A.This was an investor call in late January.Its almost been a year things change.B.In the summit they said multiplayer was optional.It won't be optional if they do this cross platform cloud enabled world?C.Even though they mention next sims.They might not be talking the sims sequel in general. So I see two possibilities.

A. This istalking about a spin off project that's related to Rene.Why Rene it's own game.
    B.This is just going to be a side feature and not the main feature if the game .

• JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Its online multi-player feature could possibly have this attached to it but it is also going to continue its stand-alone single-player mode. It was vaguely said in the summit. At least I could've sworn I heard her mention it briefly.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    looks like sims4 will be the last sims game for me. Hello paralives. bye sims you had me from sims1 this a killer for me.
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    NO! Non, Nein, Nyet, Lo, Ou, Ouk, Ouchi, No bloody way! Anything cloud based is out there for all who have the skills to hack and mess with as well as see. My current employer's financial software is cloud based and is a nightmare to use, is prone to freezing, is frustratingly slow when not frozen, and has the nasty habit of crashing at the most inconvenient time possible. It is taken down regularly for server maintenance. And that's without the Orwellian 1984 feeling I got from the OP's post.
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 367 Member
    edited December 2022
    Only thing good I see is about subscription nothing unless its a subscription where you can buy from the Sims Store like a TS3 store and the subscription is similar to a gift card except you can purchase an amount from 10+ simuleons to be used in the store and but $5CAD equals to 550+ simuleons otherwise forget it
    The only game I play that has a subscription is World of Warcraft where you don't need a subscription to play a character below level 20. Been playing that game since its early days when you could purchase the game disks at your local store and plan on keeping it that way as don't have much money to spend on entertainment every month
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 642 Member
    edited December 2022
    Definitely not.

I'm burned out of dealing with subscriptions for anything.

I did the math and looked at what I had for streaming services. For a LOT less than the $350 or so a year I spend on them, I can just buy the DVDs and a new Blu-Ray player (I have a DVD player, but most things seem to be Blu-Ray these days). Plus, a lot of these services have jumped anywhere from $2-5 a month in the past year, with Netflix being the biggest offender.

Plus, a lot of shows have shifted between streaming services. First of all, it was my shows moving from Netflix and Hulu to newer network-owned streaming services like Disney+, Paramount, and HBO Max. Now, it seems the "in" thing is moving shows to YouTube (older seasons of Power Rangers; which moved from Netflix a year or two ago) or free ad-supported platforms (recently canceled my HBO Max subscription as they planned to do the same with Westworld). Both "free" platforms are horribly ad-ridden, and the ads are annoying and intrusive.

With DVD/Blu-Rays, I can avoid the "musical chairs" my shows have been playing lately, and I don't even need internet, which is a plus to my "man cave" in an outbuilding/former above-garage apartment.

I had an XBOX subscription shortly to try a couple of games I wasn't exactly keen on spending $60 each for, but I canceled it after I did so, pretty much before the trial ended. It is cheaper for me to just wait for a sale than continue spending ten bucks a month for two games. "

Used to be, one could use Flickr pretty much unencumbered for free; then Yahoo spun them off to be sold to SmugMug; and I ended up having to pay $8 for PRO to get much use out of it Then, after getting sucked into a subscription, they changed it back to where it was by changing all "public" photos to not count towards storage limits. And it went up to $10 a month, for something I don't use much. Thinking about going back to free.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    That's one way of limiting their customers & slowly losing business.
    edited March 2023
    Cross-platform is probably a bad idea.

Because Maxis forbid a lot of things, mods are required to unlock the game.
    But cross-platform means no mod and no CC on console and mobile, your savegame might be broken without them.

edited March 2023
    When I see how much EA app 100% online service is broken , I worry about the future of The Sims Project Rene.

It reminds me SimCity (2013) launch. 10 years later EA seems to repeat the same mistakes.
  • Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    edited March 2023
    Exactly. Sims 4 releases a new patch, then a few days later a new expansion pack. Both times the servers at EA couldn't keep up. Players got mad that they couldn't get in to download it. Now, imagine an engine where just to play you need to go online. EA's servers would go up in smoke. There would be times of the day when your hope of playing would be nil to nothing. I certainly wouldn't buy into a system like that.

What does give me some hope is that they've said it won't be MMO and that multi-player will be optional. This means that, maybe, it won't be as we fear. However, we will all need to wait and see. The good news: EA is not the only fish in the sea anymore. At least two other similar games have been announced as being in development. So if EA doesn't give us what we want anymore, Bye Bye.
  • tischidlytischidly Posts: 18 Member
    SUBSCRIPTION??? Idk how, but I feel like all of this is Netflix's fault. The root of all of these related problems can be traced back to Netflix and I will forever rue the day that company came into existence.

Anyway. I would never ever buy the Sims 5 if it was a subscription. Trust.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Subs existed before Netflix, I paid Everquest and WoW before then lol. But Sims isn't MMO friendly, and should never go cloud, unless EA likes all the lawsuits. Second Life is a warning to all, and that's more social network than game - but boy, oh boy, the drama.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top