Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Rene: Base Game Content vs Pack Content

filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
I would like to have a conversation about Project Rene and it's potential content distribution in the Base Game vs Packs. To start, staple pack themes (that have been repeated throughout the franchise), I believe NEEDS to be in the base game; Seasons, Pets/Animals, University, Active Careers/Business, Generation/Family, and Fame. All of these themes are staple parts of an average human life in some way shape or form, and would greatly contribute to a fleshed out life simulator with variety and range of the types of lives a sim could live in just the Base Game.

Beyond the potential these themes would provide in the Base Game, I also believe it would expand the possibilities of the types of DLC the team could make. Having these features in the base game would mean the team wouldn't be limited with how they can use or expand these features in DLC that they develop, creating the potential for these themes to be continuously built upon and refined as more content is created. For example, even though Seasons would be in the Base Game, they could still create a seasons themed Expansion Pack that delivers more weather and climate types, new seasonal related gameplay and activities, more seasonal related consequences and effects that influence the environment and the sims within it, etc. Another example I can think of is Pets, having pets in the Base Game would mean they could create an expansion pack that expands the pets adding more pet interactions, pet related activities and objects, pet types, animations, and so on. As it is right now with themes like Seasons and Pets being in a Pack instead of the Base Game, the potential to further expand these themes just isn't very possible or realistic, and I consider that to be a limitation.

I would also like to see the return of some gameplay systems and mechanics that have been introduced throughout various packs, in the base game of Project Rene; Retail/Business', Clubs, Lot Traits and Challenges, Customizable Holidays, Reputation, Character Value Traits, Self Sustainable gameplay, Eco Footprints and NAPs. I don't want an exact dupe of these features, but something that mimics a similar function. Again, having these features in the Base Game only expands the potential for DLC to use these mechanics in any way, shape or form without limitations.

I truly believe having all these features and mechanics in the Base Game would be a win win for both the Base Game and any potential packs that may be created. It would also be something new for players to explore and experience instead of getting the same old pack time and time again. But this is just my hot take, I'm curious to know your thoughts.

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    Seasons and Pets/Animals are big sellers for EA.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited November 2022
    Smaller is the basegame, bigger will be the need of DLC.

Not everybody like the same thing, if they remove the very popular features from the packs then less people will buy them.

As we look at the last 12 months, about 90% of all revenue was from extra content, not the base game.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    The challenge will be to find a way that they can have a base game that is offering a good set of features while leaving room for future DLC.

I think they should strive to offer a wide range of basic features and then future DLC can expand upon those features, like offering new ways to play and create with those features. This will give them more options when making DLC and new worlds.

The game should offer better management features too like for example offer ways for the player to assign roles to sims and controlling them more easily so they could make future DLC like Restaurants and Hotels play better.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Smaller is the basegame, bigger will be the need of DLC.

Not everybody like the same thing, if they remove the very popular features from the packs then less people will buy them.
    As we look at the last 12 months, about 90% of all revenue was from extra content, not the base game.

I don’t like the weather system for TS4 so haven’t got Seasons.

I wouldn’t like a base game which had weather that couldn’t be customised to what I would like. Even an off switch would be good for me.

I see fame and occults as DLC as I wouldn’t want those system by default.

@logion I like the sound of better management features. Options for individual Sims might be complex but if assigned roles at a workplace that might work.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,860 Member
    I know they're the two big sellers but it's time to have basic weather and basic pets in the base game. Or at least, basic weather and make pets the first DLC. They can still expand on weather and holiday events, etc in seasons, but the game doesn't need to have just sunny days for the fist few years. If mobile-level games can have rain from the start, Sims can too.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
    edited November 2022
    The basegame could include a light rain at least.

I mean a lush world with Sunny days in loop is very strange.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,372 Member
    So far they always offered, weather, pets, shops, and businesses, etc. as separate DLC, which maybe suited them development wise, but for us players was a bit underwhelming coming from a fully fledged game to a bare bones base game. So with this in mind, maybe for TS5 they could offer basic features in base game and then expand upon them in DLC. Weather in base game, we get full weather effects, with cold and hot weather outfits, umbrellas, snowball throwing, and then in DLC they add various seasonal activities and sports. Same with Pets, we get basic dog and cats in basegame from small pool of pets up for adoption, and in DLC we get Vet, pet training, pet shows, pet career, small pets, outfits, and choose our own breeds and what not. With business, we should have basic grocery and clothes shopping at least in base game, and then expand upon the business side in DLC with ownable shops and entertainment venues. Also would be nice to have at least bicycles in basegame, and a public transit system even if the neighbourhood is not fully open, like in TS4, and make it feel like an open neighbourhood by being able to fully interact with the environment. No more decor buildings in the middle of the neighbourhood with no function to them, especially if they are designed to look like shops and public venues.
  • AbsafraginlootlyAbsafraginlootly Posts: 34 Member
    I do feel like seasons, pets, university, owning a business, and a functional wants and fears system should be base game.

Newer stuff that I'd like to see as base game in sims 5 include parenthood parent/child interactions and customisable clubs, holidays, and neighbourhood action plans. Those features really add alot to sims 4.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    As @LeGardePourpre and @ncisGibbs02 have already mentioned, the more features get moved the basegame, the higher the chance that one of them is a dealbreaker. If I feel I absolutely need the, for example, the Seasons EP, because without it the basegame weather system is annoying, then I'd rather not buy the basegame in the first place.

A feature that probably needs to be made basegame even so is the club system. Student Societies and werewolf packs were very underwhelming, because they had to invent them again from scratch everytime anew.
    edited December 2022
    The Sims evolved, the basegame in 2000 isn't the "live service" basegame from 2014 to 2022.

Even if Maxis decide to add these features to the basegame, they won't be available at the launch.
    You may wait for years like we did for Toddlers and Sexual Orientation.

And time spent to do stuff for the basegame is time lost for the packs.
    Gender Options, Toddler, Pronoun/Sexual Orientation and Infant updates cost us 1 EP in 2016, 2017, 2021 and 2022.
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,027 Member
    If too much is included in the base game the base game will be more expensive, and as people here point out, not everyone is into the same kind of game play.

With that said, I do agree that seasons is so basic that it should be a part of any basegame (costumizable or toggable on/off for those who do not want it). My reason for this opition is that weather has a huge impact on a world, and to have it as base would make a difference on how worlds are created. For one this would be an opportunity to really think about how a world will be used from the get go:

* swimmable waters in all worlds that it would make sense in
    * the ability to skate on lakes and frozen boddies of water in the winter in worlds where winter is a thing
    * sledding on slopes of the worlds in winter
    * holiday decorations and things like easter egg hunts, winterfest markets in public places (not lots, but town squares and other open communal areas)

But also just the planning for weater when making a world. For example San Myshuno has an open air lounge and an open walled kareoke bar, yet is a world with heavy snow in winter. Plantet Honey Pop is so poorly built that it snows inside, meaning three original locations are useless in winter. In dorms in Britechester people freeze to death because there are no thermostats in their dorms (which can only be edited by cheat codes after you move someone in). This proves that weather has not been a factor when building these places. Add weather as a base game feature, but let those who wants to turn it on and off do so.

Another feature I would add as base game is the club system, the dance floor and dj booth, restaurant and retail lots (go to not own) because these are again features of every day life. I would also add some active careers and make all other careers semi active so you can play them if you want (and build their offices). I would also make uni-education base game, perhaps not active in base game, but so that some jobs were tied to some degrees.

The DLC I would have: pets (with more than just cats and dogs), fame, own your business (including the cafés, restaurants, night clubs, bars and retail shops in the base game), school (primary, high school and uni) and all occults, holiday (with resorts of different types).
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I hear this idea a lot from simmers and I understand people are tired of buying packs over and over, but this sounds like a bad idea from a business prospective 😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    I'm one of those weirdos who actually doesn't want too much in the base game. Now, I don't mean I want it to be a bare-bones game with no pools or toddlers. I also want there to be a ton of Aspirations!

But I don't want a bunch of gimmicks that make my Sims' lives difficult. I like that TS4 is easy, and while I think it could use more personality and variety in interactions, traits, and autonomous behaviors, I'm hoping we won't get something that's insanely difficult like the first Sims game. I like to create a ton of new Sims, and it gets rather tedious when they all start burning the house down the first time they cook. I also remember that in the first Sims game (and, to a lesser extent, Sims 2), it was insane trying to keep all their motives high.

I think a good solution would be a "Woes and Misfortunes" pack for those who really want a difficult challenge. With no new Aspirations, please, so I won't be forced to buy it, haha.
    @SuperCoolRachael

What I would really want is a difficulty setting, somewhere I could adjust how easy or hard the game is to suit my current playing style. I would also like to have the option to go in depth and adjust the difficulty of individual settings - such as making it harder to make money but easier to make friends if I feel like it.

• honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    i'm also one of those people that doesn't want too much in the base game. i'd be thrilled with barebones weather - hot/warm/cool/cold, sunny/cloudy, hot and cold weather outfit categories, that's it. then a robust seasons pack.

same re: university. i want a higher education ep with two colleges, a trade school, and a big mixed use city. i'd like these base game options = attend community college online or commute to rabbithole college classes/events.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    honeywitch wrote: »
    i'm also one of those people that doesn't want too much in the base game. i'd be thrilled with barebones weather - hot/warm/cool/cold, sunny/cloudy, hot and cold weather outfit categories, that's it. then a robust seasons pack.

same re: university. i want a higher education ep with two colleges, a trade school, and a big mixed use city. i'd like these base game options = attend community college online or commute to rabbithole college classes/events.

I also think having a fairly bare base game let's us pick and choose what we want. Some people may not want pets and I've heard some simmers say they don't like weather because they prefer it sunny all of the time.
    I think a nicely done base game doesn't need all the packs added to it but it should also be entertaining enough to stand on it's own.
    I would personally be okay with however they decided to do it though.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited December 2022

I also think having a fairly bare base game let's us pick and choose what we want. Some people may not want pets and I've heard some simmers say they don't like weather because they prefer it sunny all of the time.
    I think a nicely done base game doesn't need all the packs added to it but it should also be entertaining enough to stand on it's own.
    I would personally be okay with however they decided to do it though.

I'm mostly hoping that they will add a lot of features to the base game so they will not struggle with making content for future packs. The Sims 4 often had a problem with not having a lot of lots in the base game so a lot of new worlds ended up with bars and libraries. Hopefully Rene will have a lot of different lots so they will have more lots to choose from when making packs.

That's also why I'm hoping they will work on some system so they can make interactive careers easier, it felt like they came up with a good start with Get To Work, but then it felt like that was never really more developed.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,826 Member
    edited December 2022
    I agree that it's boring to have the same packs over and over. I've only played TS2 and TS4, and I got TS2 in the ultimate collection for $30 or something in 2020, and I already don't want to pay for Pets and Seasons over again. If too many features are missing from the next basegame it probably won't be fun for me to play it.

And then, why not have packs that are based around ideas totally different from what we already have in existing games?
    @mightysprite good point. i just have concerns about adding a lot to the base game for a few reasons. first: a packed base game expects them to fully incorporate their best sellers. that's not a profitable decision so i'd be surprised. second: performance concerns based on precedent. third, and my personal reason: i'd much rather they focus on delivering a solid, fully playable base game. truly smart sims with complex personalities and relationships, a bevy of impactful traits and aspirations and careers and part-time/odd-jobs, a variety of familial and social dynamics, vibrant open neighborhoods, plenty of hobbies and community lots, stellar build/buy and cas, etc. if they sold me all that as a base game then sold me seasons and pets as expansions i'd be overjoyed.
    I have to say I don't understand how more base game content could ever be a bad thing. Are we really saying that we want to pay more rather than less? How could a richer base game ever be a bad thing? Here I am seeing people saying they wouldn't buy the game if it contained more than they want? Seriously? As long as you can toggle features on and off, why is more a problem?

Also I agree with the idea that new DLC should be new, things that haven't been done before. So give us seasons as base game (and a working club system, parenting interactions, semi active and active careers and possibly pets) and then come up with new ideas for DLC. Some could be the same (own your business, fame), but how about a full tourism pack where we can own and run hotells and b&bs? How about a realestate pack where you can build, develop, own and sell realestate and rent out your apartments (that you can of course build in any world)?
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,826 Member
    @honeywitch Honestly those both sound like fun games-- either a very different in-depth basegame, or very different packs. I love those ideas for packs @JAL .
    @JAL i get where you're coming from but the reasons a packed base game isn't that appealing for others = performance concerns, quality/depth concerns, and it's a more unrealistic expectation.
    @honeywitch I think it is sad, and quite depressing, that we find a reasonable sized basegame to be unrealistic and that we are so used to poor performing games that large=bad quality and lack of depth. I have to say I haven't encountered that anywhere else than here with sims or pehaps EA (this is the only EA game I play). Most games I play are big, and get bigger with every new game, and if a game has poor performance, people do not buy it, but wait for the next one. It's incredibly depressing to see that so many of us are willing to accept that bugs, poor performance, lagging issues and lack of depth is a state of normal, and while we complain, we still buy everything they churn out. No wonder EA doesn't need to focus on quality and depth and a rich contet. We'll buy scraps apparently.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,805 Member
    @JAL i get where you're coming from but the reasons a packed base game isn't that appealing for others = performance concerns, quality/depth concerns, and it's a more unrealistic expectation.

I agree that it's unrealistic to expect EA to release a packed base game. Their bread and butter is
    DLC and that formula has worked through four iterations. I'm definitely keeping my expectations tempered.

I can understand performance concerns for those simmers who don't have access to a mid/high end computer. And Maxis knows they comprise a sizable percentage of the fan base.
    @JAL i do generally agree that it's a sad situation :lol: i'm assuming they'll mostly go with precedent in this case because it's profitable. i'm cool with that as long as they deliver quality. personally speaking i only buy what i really want and can afford, and if a pack i originally wanted gets poor reception due to major bugs and/or other unfortunate issues i don't buy it (example: my wedding stories). what i listed above in the thread as my primary desires for a base game are far from scraps imo but also don't include pets or full-on seasons or university.