Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does it bother you to restart with new The Sims game (basegame only) ?

Does it bother you to restart with new The Sims game (basegame only) ? 129 votes

Yes, it feels empty.
49%
crocobauraLeGardePourpreGalacticGaldjacquelynstewbandit5rudolphalisamwittGoodywoodSimsILikeSimsSketchMonaSolstraaleSimMommy05Isb917SusanaLeoteMarkooshPipersfun2maggiemae8135Mariefoxprice83BoergeAarg61Paigeisin5 64 votes
A little
13%
canitbemanauricio288Cinebarbixtersbenson2006AstroKrayzieStrykerEgonVMCharlotta11SERVERFRAPatriceGeralt_ofRiviaFlikka_FlikkaRySBISimDork23Elerithewolfsalem 17 votes
Not all.
24%
BluegayleCamkatDeshong04MamaSimTeeDijktafoneheiblumesimgirl1010friendlysimmersalanmichael1Sk8rblazeClassicalSimMoonCrossWarrior22TrashmagicLatinaBunnyRedDestiny92Sarah26CatEricasFreePlaycomicsforlifelogionLady_Ballora 31 votes
Other choice ...
13%
Sara1010PSimburianCAPTAIN_NXR7cyncieSorak4ChadSims2EnkiSchmidtking_of_simcity7Bren91lunaoddityRedShoe7Atreya33ZazzyKittynchonkieUmbreon12mightyspriteStreicher 17 votes

Comments

• cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    Other choice ...
    Because of my play style, I never start a new version of the game as soon as the base game releases. Base game is usually just basic job and family play, and that’s not how I usually play, so there’s nothing really for me until a few packs in. I waited to bundle TS3 base game with Showtime to get something that fits my preferences, and waited for several TS4 packs to release before I switched over.

Having said that, if a TS5 base game released with more than just the usual jobs and family play, I would probably want to take a look at it
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    Not all.
    I answered "Not at all" but this is relevant from my migration to Sims 1 to Sims 2 and Sims 2 to Sims 3. With those games, there was a HUGE wow factor with what it offered that I was excited to start fresh.

Sims 4 is a different case because the base game was so awful and disappointing to me that I stopped playing after a few days.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    edited November 2022
    Depends. I never, ever minded at all going from TS->TS2->TS3. To me they were all similar to the previous versions, only improved and with better and unique aspects. I was always wow'd even though I did miss some of my packs (like OFB, AL, and SV). I can honestly say that once I tried the newest version I was hooked immediately even though it took awhile to get DLC and I never ever went back to the previous version.

I can't say the same about TS4.

When I tried to go from TS3->TS4, I just couldn't do it. There were so many limitations and missing things that had been in the other games, that I literally only had the game open for maybe 15 minutes.

I tried out CAS, moved them into a lot and immediately hated the uber cartoony look of the world, the ridiculously oversized furniture, the super bright and happy (and sometimes quite U.G.L.Y.) color/pattern choices they chose and how NOTHING MATCHED! Hated that every .... single ..... piece of wood had nicks and chips in them trying to make it seem worn and rustic, but failed immensely due to the "Fisher Price plastic wood" textures they used.

I closed the game, rebooted TS3 and never looked back for a few more years.

So if the basegame can wow me and get me excited and antsy to hurry up and get off work so I can play it, then nope I don't have a problem with it at all.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited November 2022
    Yes, it feels empty.
    yeah i don't like the wait and abandonment of the game that i was just beginning to enjoy as there is more content i like and more new interesting themes to explore instead of repetition of same eps

only time i gladly made the switch was with ts3 to ts4 cause i just didn't like ts3 very much and it was already kind of dead for me like too stressful with my perfectionist swatch choosing n all

ts1 and 2 I was so sad to see discontinued like makin' magic is my absolute fave and it was just like whyyy can't i have more why do we need to restart

well thankfully ts2 was lit too but still I miss my makin' magic tho TT
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    Base game does feel empty and boring. I love taking my sims to various community places for socials, skilling, and fun activities, and base game has a very limited choice of those.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Other choice ...
    It does bother me, but not because of basegame being very barebone. It's more that I'm too invested in my sims and dread the idea of having to recreate the merry bunch in a potentially very different artstyle. Hopefully the next iteration comes with a facial recognition software that can convert Sims 4 sims.

As for basegames, it took me a long time to transition from Sims 1 to Sims 2. By the OfB got released the new sims had finally won my heart.
    To the contrary Sims 3 basegame had me hooked at first, but the new car smell quickly wore off and I dropped the game after about 1,5 years and two EPs. The Sims 4 progression went from "It's okay" to "I really enjoy this" to "I won't update ever again, you're ruining my sims".
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    There may be some things improved, but it will take years to get things from previous games. I mean, we still don't have horses (as well as a number of things) in TS4 that other games in the series had.
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,061 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    There is absolutely no way I could play with just the base game. Not enough items and activities to make me want to open my wallet.

I waited a year before getting Sims 2, waited a couple of years before getting Sims 3, and waited 3.5 years before getting Sims 4. I won't be rushing to get Sims 5 for the same reason (if I get the Sims 5 at all).
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • RuxieCat121RuxieCat121 Posts: 20 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    It took me a while before I moved from TS3 to TS4. I know it'll sound a bit snobby or spoiled, but starting over with the bare minimum gives me anxiety. I need to be able to create a LOT to feel good about what I'm doing. It's like when I was a kid and used the 64-box of crayolas and then someone tells me I need to start over with the tiny box of four crayons they give you in restaurants lol.
  • RySBIRySBI Posts: 328 Member
    A little
    It’s kind of a difficult one to answer. On one hand… yes, I’ll be sorry to let go of Sims 4, but at the same time it brings with it such potential… but also I have to wait for all my fave content to release again with future expansions. It’s bittersweet.

Like others who’ve commented, I’ll probably wait a while to switch so that more expansions can be released first. I like occult sims so they usually come with packs.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    Other choice ...
    I've never had that experience... I'm a late adopter lol

I'll start being interested in the next sims game if/when it's up and running and seems like a lot more fun than my current ts4 with the packs that I have, and doesn't have any bugs that are more troublesome than the current ts4 bugs at that time.

Then realistically I might not even buy it until a year or more after that point.
    gen3-banner.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited November 2022
    Yes, it feels empty.
    A game without weather, occult and apartment isn't interesting.

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited November 2022
    Not all.
    I have never had that experience either but I don't think I would mind it. I like to play games for variety and relaxation and I have always liked that part of gaming where I watch trailers and look forward to upcoming games.

So even if the next sims game would have less features at launch like The Sims 4 I think it would still have new features and feel different enough that it will be fun to play.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    A little
    I prefer to use my packs/kits for my game saves.
  • MarkooshMarkoosh Posts: 108 Member
    Yes, it feels empty.
    So I'd have Willow Creek, Oasis Springs and even LESS gameplay activities? *shudders*
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    Other choice ...
    It depends, I didn't mind going from 2 to 3, because it had something totally new, open worlds, plus it didn't feel as empty as Sims 4 base game did. After 4 I will take a wait and see attitude.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Other choice ...
    It really depends Sims 1 to 2 there was just so many improvements that Sims 2 base game was more enjoyable than Sims 1 and all its expansions but for Sims 4 base game it was a nightmare restarting with such an empty featureless game.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited November 2022
    Other choice ...
    Playing with the base game from TS1 to TS3 was a delight. TS4 gave me buyers remorse within minutes of playing in live mode lol. That will be my last base game experience. I'm not buying TS5.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    Other choice ...
    I never really bought the base games for TS2, TS3, or TS4 without a pack attached to it.
    So, with the older games, they don't feel super empty when it is just the base game, because there is still quite a bit to do.
    With Sims 4, I have just the base game for my PC, and the base games and expansions on my PS4. My PC version feels kind of empty once I finish my PS4 version, but I can download mods/CC if I want to.
    So it is kind of a mixed bag, because I never really play the base game by itself, but it being the base game for Sims 4 it doesn't feel super empty.
  • StreicherStreicher Posts: 31 Member
    Other choice ...
    It will depend on what the new Base game offers in terms of build buy as this is where I spend most of my time. Otherwise I'll wait for some more content to be available.
  • DivorcedMarySueDivorcedMarySue Posts: 7 New Member
    Not all.
    I started TS3 at launch with no packs and it kept me entertained long enough for a few expansions to come out. For me, base game should have enough worthy features on its own to be both fun and clearly different from previous games. If it is not chances are expansions won't help.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited November 2022
    Not all.
    TS>TS2
    It didn't bother me at all because TS2 base game bought a lot of new features but also fully 3D graphics and 360 camera plus generations along with genetics which I rarely played with.

TS2>TS3
    Again the game bought innovation and many new gameplay mechanics which made it worthwhile to start anew. I like the more realistic aesthetic in graphics but also the real-time simulation across the whole neighborhood than just one lot at a time.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • heiblumeheiblume Posts: 33 Member
    Not all.
    Going from TS1 through TS3 not a problem because each one advanced so much in graphics and gameplay. Going to TS4 I was very disappointed and with each pack I got excited to see added gameplay which never fully fleshed out.

I am extremely excited for TS5, online or not, just hoping a return to in depth gameplay. I have avoided all multiplay games so far, but I am willing to give it a go if it is awesome in all other ways.
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 858 Member
    edited November 2022
    Not all.
    Not at all because if it is done well (like TS2 & 3) then it won't feel empty. It will just leave me excited to expand upon it with new DLC. I know with how EA has handled TS4 pricing this game is way too pricey and as of kinda recent I refuse to buy packs at full price, but if I can see reviews for TS5, if it shows the game is packed with gameplay and new, better experiences and sims, then I won't mind paying the price. It just has to feel worth it. For me, TS4 packs are not worth their current sales prices, they are way overpriced.