Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has the sims comfort you in away ?

I am not going to get into to many details . Just that I am disabled I have autism and ADHD . So life is not easy for me .When I play the sims besides writing is my way to escape .To play with different characters giving them a reality thats great.

Comments

• cynciecyncie Posts: 4,547 Member
    I was working in long term healthcare during this pandemic. The game was one way I dealt with the stress. Especially my fantasy save. Sometimes the stories that came from it reflected my anxiety, sometimes they were an escape from it. But it definitely was a form of therapy during a stressful time.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited November 2022
    yeah i guess it kinda helps

its nice to have something creative to do that you don't particularily need any skills for

doesn't need to become your hobby career and lifes purpose

doesn't need any particular tools besides good computer

won't be asked about at family gatherings

no one will ask you to do for them

mom won't complain if you don't do
    or worse ask you to do

you don't need friends / other participants to have fun with

and list goes on :lol:

also its just nice escape from my depresso and anxiety really and i just like it so much to create something without having to physically create anything at all

my family has knack for hoarding most peculiar items already and it feels so suffocating to me without me adding to it and yet sometimes you do feel like creating things for sake of creating
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    When the other games are no longer fun, The Sims franchise is always there to save the day.

• ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Yes, and great thread👍

I have used sims games as a way to focus on something else when something was hanging over my head, that I was anxious about but could not otherwise affect (waiting on news when it could be good or bad for instance) and when struggling with depression or just on need of, as others have mentioned, fun that is easily accessible, doesn't require special equipment, materials, or planning, or needing other people to be reliable for group things.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it really is one of the most comforting, easy forms of stress relief.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    No. I have my faith, family, and friends for getting through difficult times.

• SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,767 Member
    Interesting discussion and spot-on, it's escapism for me. Writing TS4 stories has been my overwhelming obsession since 2019. Without a project to focus on, things get bad, very quick. XD
    Doing storytelling, building etc, and having stories and build / Sim ideas to think about keeps me distracted from other things. It's my main hyperfixation and currently my longest one where the others have fizzled out over time. I think part of the fun is seeing what other people create in the game and that's what's made it more enjoyable as well. Keeping up with others' stories and challenges and such, it's something to enjoy and look forward to.
    they/them or she/her
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    No. I have my faith, family, and friends for getting through difficult times.

and a increasingnumber of grand kids, sorry mom still hasn't hooked up the game where we met .

back on topic it wasn't in the very begining butlife happens. so one death and i divorce later my sim family beings me happiness ive been trying to finish my what was supposed to be a legacy but became a story for 6 yrs. the generation 2 heir hates rules he has a tendency to break them then my game save breaks.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    my answer is yes since my light autism syndrom diagnoses do not remember the exact year + the pandemic it help me relax
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • HeronyxHeronyx Posts: 43 Member
    I am not going to get into to many details . Just that I am disabled I have autism and ADHD . So life is not easy for me .When I play the sims besides writing is my way to escape .To play with different characters giving them a reality thats great.

I believe there is a known correlation between enjoying The Sims and having developmental disorders such as Autism Spectrum Disorders. Actually there are several articles about neurodiversity and The Sims players, so I think, and I do write this with all possible respect, that your experience of almost therapy through escapism whilst playing is by no means unique in the fanbase.

I've been using The Sims since The Sims 2 as a kind of escape myself. Family members becoming ill and dying, even with my writing, my faith, reading etc. Sometimes the easiness of The Sims is preferable. What I enjoy most is that you don't have to follow anyone else's plotline and there's really no winning. You can put as much or as little effort into it as you feel like. I do find it relaxing, addictively so actually, :D
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    edited November 2022
    Like the majority of adults today, I am not fortunate enough to have some ideal network of family, friends, and institutions to ease my burdens.

Came from a small family, never had get together with the few relatives. Moved often growing up, so never had lifelong friendships with schoolmates. Jobs don't offer anything but temporary job friends either.

While I'm happy for people who are ensconced in a big longstanding network of family and friends, that is not the typical case for most adults today, and the lack of that for your average American at least, grows more prevalent and severe with time.

I don't suggest that Sims can be any kind of replacement for real life social support networks, or that escapism into a comforting fantasy is a healthy way to live life all the time, if it means ignoring problems that need facing. But not all problems have a solution, and sometimes distraction from suffering is a valid mode of survival.

Additionally, exploring fantasy without scrutiny and judgement has helped many a simmer realize things about themselves that lay hidden due to pressure to conform to roles and forms of expression that society expects of people.

Sometimes one doesn't know one's shoes pinch, until one tries another pair.

Unlike games that offer primarily the sense of achievement that comes with besting others in competition, this one offers solace to the senses alongside open-ended fantasy, plus some aspects of grinding for rewards that give it something besides a total sandbox feel.

That sets it apart from all others in having the potential to be comforting and inspiring whatever your situation. 😀
    Post edited by ignominiusrex on
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    Yes, I lost my husband and went through two years of a probate nightmare. I also lost one of my dogs. And I had to spend a couple of years there taking care of everything. So two winters alone in Michigan and I don't drive. The Probate was sooo stressful, I didn't eat or sleep, I knew I needed something to distract me and saw an add about sims 4. Ok, I'll try this. I am now at 9984 hours played. Sims 4 saved my sanity for sure.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Yeah, TS/TS2/TS3 has been great in helping to cope with life. However, it's not just The Sims. I've played video game consoles since I was young and even had a few PC games too. For me, it's not just used as a coping mechanism but can also inspire creativity and I enjoy being entertained by thought-provoking and intelligent subject matter; which stimulates my deep interest of learning and development of my own individualism.

It's been a while since I started wondering if I was autistic based on a few tell-tale signs. But still didn't really know much about it, so I started doing research and watching others who were officially diagnosed and was surprised to find out how much I could relate, though not to everything, naturally of course. I took two different online tests that says it's mostly accurate at determining and said I have Asperger Syndrome and OCD. Yeah, that makes sense. The way I think, the way I process information, the way I view the world, the way I hyperfocus, etc. is just different. However, I don't define that a problem at all or a disorder or a disability. It just means I'm in a group of people that also possesses these kinds of unique abilities or gifts. Truth be told if everyone thought the same way then it would be a very boring world because it would lack not only diversity but innovation.

Besides video games, I like creative writing, animation, movies, books, arts & crafts, sewing, photography, doll collecting, fashion, drawing, comic books, nature, animals, etc. My understanding, wisdom and sanity all comes from my faith. Based on my own experience I love being different and I love being myself even when others don't. I've grown a lot since I was young and I am very comfortable with me, myself and I. I don't seek others validation because my self-worth comes from within/internally not without/externally.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,061 Member
    edited November 2022
    This game is my escape from the rest of the world and other people in general. I'm an introvert, so I need to disappear into my own cave (alone time) to 'recharge my batteries' on a regular basis or I start to feel drained, tired, and grumpy.

The Sims is great for that because once I turn on my game, I can disappear into it for a few hours easily. And hubby and the dog have both been trained to know that it's "mommy time" when the Sims game gets turned on. :D

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • RuxieCat121RuxieCat121 Posts: 20 Member
    It's definitely been a great comfort to me since the pandemic and lockdown started. Building, creating, etc. helps so much when I get really stuck in my depression. <3
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited November 2022
    Sims keeps me busy when I am bored.
    Also I have autism; hence why I was suggesting VR for the sims, because it would be immersive + I can do things on it that I can't do IRL.
    (I'm not talking about those sus mods btw) >.>

like I want to Roleplay in VR and the sims would be perfect with that if one has the right content since I do reincarnation challenge; I will be able to live the lives of many sims, kinda like how we are IRL. except IRL it takes forever to live a life and it's a bit more complicated. In the sims the lives aren't as long and I get more fun out of em, I've did like over 20 sim lifetimes already and had sum fun stuff go on in em. So yea, that is why I want to play sims in VR.

Edit: yes I want to play in a life sim in VR, but there is no life sim game for it. D:
    Moar edit: like being able to RP a cop, or a thug, or a lumber jack or a doctor, a fire fighter, etc... then one day your walking around in the virtual city and some thugs pop out of no where and murder ya and your character gets deleted, then you start a new game and end up being a baby again and have to go through the steps to reaching adulthood. lol

I'm a fan of RP so yea, VR RP would be immersive and fun as fluff! (Xenoblade chronicles style of cursing, gota love censorship)
    Post edited by MoonCrossWarrior22 on
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • usergillyflowerusergillyflower Posts: 1 New Member
    Yes. (Also how do I change my profile pic?)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    edited November 2022
    @usergillyflower

You need to have 15 posts and 25 points to become a member. Then you can change your profile pic.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/934205/small-change-for-new-members#latest
  • Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    Yes. Things change and come and go, but since its been released the Sims has always been there. That is one thing that has stayed consistent throughout my life and so its become comforting and familiar in that sense. Things have changed a lot for me over the last few years after having gone through a rough time things are finally evening out but I like that I can still pick up from where I left off with the game.

Although new versions and expansion packs come out; not a whole lot changes with it and that's one thing that I hope stays the same for future players. I am lucky enough to have grown up with the game. :)
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    I don't know if comfort is the word I'd use exactly, but we all need playtime, in whatever way is fun for us ☺

Kids aren't the only ones who understand themselves and others better through imaginative play

When we don't get enough playtime that's when we tend to be sad or stressed-out or irritable and then we are more likely to make bad choices or respond to others without enough kindness and patience

i. e. without playtime we humans can be quite un-comfort-able indeed
    gen3-banner.png
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    I can find stress relief in game play or whatever entertainment that floats my ship, but what alleviates tension in the healthiest way possible for me is physical activity. As long as I’m able I will continue to spend time outdoors, preferably in nature, for as long as possible. A hike up a mountain or a walk in the forest is the only therapy I’ll need. For now anyway. I can do this on my own or with someone close to me, but it’s gotta be outside, away from the everyday hustle ‘n bustle. Away from people. After I’ve done that I find it much easier to appreciate the comfort of a cosy home and playing games or watching movies and deal with this demanding world of madness again the next day.
    There have been times in the past when I was physically too wrecked and mentally too anxious to set a foot outside my door so I’ll take anything I can get. When the wild calls, this boy will answer. 🌳⛰🌳
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Sims makes me laugh, it's a very relaxing game to play.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Not sure if comfort is the exact word, but since TS1 came out the game has been a great way to create, do stories, and just plain relax after a long hard workday. I have several other interests, so simming is part of a blend providing recharging when it's needed.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited November 2022
    No, I don't use the Sims as a substitute for IRL human connection or emotional support.

The Sims is like any other diversion + enthusiast hobby.
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • DivorcedMarySueDivorcedMarySue Posts: 7 New Member
    Yes, I escape into my sims worlds and it brings me great comfort and good emotions. In fact, even planning my sims activities, builds, relationships etc when I am away from PC calms me down and gives me a feeling of control at least over something in this mad world. Sims is possibly my best hobby mental health wise.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    No, I don't use the Sims as a substitute for IRL human connection or emotional support.

The Sims is like any other diversion + enthusiast hobby.

I don't use for that either .