Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

First Job Listing To Mention Project Rene (Animations)

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
Lead OS Animator - Maxis

Teams are building the next generation game and creative platform, Project Rene and reimagining The Sims that players know and love with even more new ways to play.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3335409290

What new animations are you hoping to see in Project Rene?
Post edited by simgirl1010 on

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    My most wanted animation is for sims to actually open cabinets and drawers and dressers. I don't know how possible it is but I'd like to see them actually retrieve items and not just pull everything out of their pockets.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited October 2022
    Noteworthy that there's no mention of parameter-based procedural animation, only keyframing and motion capture.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    Noteworthy that there's no mention of parameter-based procedural animation, only keyframing and motion capture.

I'll have to Google that later. 😄
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    @simgirl1010 how would you see sims actualyputting on removing there clothes rather than spin in there outfit and have the control to change there outfit the next sim day in game?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    @friendlysimmers I really have no idea if something other than spinning is even possible. The spinning doesn't bother me. I just want to see them remove plates from the cabinet and set the table. Maybe remove the pillows when making a bed. Toilet brushes and toilet paper rolls that are actually functional. Eyeglasses and sunshades that sims can remove and place on a surface. Then pick up and put on. Putting groceries away in the pantry. Things like that.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I want them to return different spinning animations depending on the laziness of your Sims in the Sims 2. It was a neat little detail I loved and miss in future Sims games.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    My most wanted animation is for sims to actually open cabinets and drawers and dressers. I don't know how possible it is but I'd like to see them actually retrieve items and not just pull everything out of their pockets.
    I completely agree on these basic animations they give so much life to the game I'd also include things like getting into elevators opening the dishwasher and so many other basic animations that ended up as poofing or did not exist in Sims 4 not immersive at all.

I'd say these are completely possible seeing as Sims 2 did them no problem the team making the game really cared.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,395 Member

I'll have to Google that later. 😄
    Some background
    j7wdac8brkkt.png
    simsl6vjosee.png
    amijottrqrla.png
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member

@simgirl1010 In Sims 2, Sims took things in and out of the counters like bowls/spoons/pans etc. I think only Seasons had an upper cabinet but I’ve not seen animations for that. It would be good to see them take things out and put them away.
    Sims 3 some Sims had trouble opening the dresser drawers and would fall over and try again. 😂.

I still don’t understand how some animations existed before but don’t now. Where did they go? Is it the current animators don’t know or just not interested? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

I like the spinning to change clothes so that doesn’t bother me, I see that as a core Sim animation as its part of the fun since Sims 1.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I still don’t understand how some animations existed before but don’t now. Where did they go? Is it the current animators don’t know or just not interested? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

I like the spinning to change clothes so that doesn’t bother me, I see that as a core Sim animation as its part of the fun since Sims 1.

I think that's a budget thing, it costs money to create animations and I think they decided that was useless budget costs, but for most simmers those little animations make the sims seem more alive and realistic.

I also don't mind too much the spinning to change clothes, that's been in each version so I'm use to that.

But the whole lack of animations were in previous versions and were stripped out for TS4 has always made the game seem more "mobile game-ish" to me. Maybe the whole not opening drawers thing is due to how they created the meshes. Previous games drawers/doors were actually meshed which could be animated/rigged to open and close. Most of TS4's objects are a solid mesh that is painted to appear to be a drawer or door.

I too used to love when TS3 sims would sometimes fall from the drawer being stuck, used to make me laugh every time because it didn't have EVERY time, just on occassion, like in my mind I always imagined the drawer was too full and something was catching and when the sim finally tugged the drawer hard enough to release what ever was keeping it from opening, the momentum from the pulling knocked them backwards, just like in RL.
  • JadedJaneJadedJane Posts: 991 Member
    I want unmade beds again. Especially for the lazy or sloppy trait people. Or even for most of the toddler, kids and teens not making their beds and the parents telling them to make their beds and even have a toddler action to "attempt to make bed". And instead of making it look sloppy or messy through objects that even if there is a laundry basket they leave their clothes on the floor and leave dirty plates in their rooms like real teens do. Although it is a rule in my house no food in the bedrooms, many other households do not.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member

It's not "new" but I hope they get rid of the "Butt-in-the-Air" animation for when sims pass out from being too tired. Absolutely HATE that one, irritates me still to this day!

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member

It's not "new" but I hope they get rid of the "Butt-in-the-Air" animation for when sims pass out from being too tired. Absolutely HATE that one, irritates me still to this day!

i totaly agree with you 200%
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member

It bothered me so much I use a mod to remove it and make them pass out normally instead.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited November 2022
    More variations probably, and more interactions with smaller objects. I think they have said that they are looking into new ways for different sims to interact with each other. I would not mind different animations when they are sitting and talking, so three sims that are sitting down in a sofa will all sit differently and they will move their hands differently when they are talking.

I also think for standard animations that you use a lot and when it's supposed to be romantic or serious the animations should be more subtle. We can still have over the top animations for rare occasions like failing to cook something but not for animations that we see often in my opinion.

Their idle animations should also be more subtle, I have never liked that sims are smiling with a large smile and laughing when they are happy, which they often tend to be.

Sims should also heat up their leftovers in their microwave, for suitable leftovers, not salads...
  • userafwuserafw Posts: 34 Member
    I hope they actually build a pose player into the game instead of Simmers having to download something like Andrews pose player (Sims 4 studio).
  • userafwuserafw Posts: 34 Member
    logion wrote: »
    More variations probably, and more interactions with smaller objects. I think they have said that they are looking into new ways for different sims to interact with each other. I would not mind different animations when they are sitting and talking, so three sims that are sitting down in a sofa will all sit differently and they will move their hands differently when they are talking.

I also think for standard animations that you use a lot and when it's supposed to be romantic or serious the animations should be more subtle. We can still have over the top animations for rare occasions like failing to cook something but not for animations that we see often in my opinion.

Their idle animations should also be more subtle, I have never liked that sims are smiling with a large smile and laughing when they are happy, which they often tend to be.

Sims should also heat up their leftovers in their microwave, for suitable leftovers, not salads...

Yup. I don’t know about you, but heated iceberg lettuce with cucumbers, olives and dressing is not my favorite food. Even combined with tomatoes and cheese. Spring rolls and sushi are also served cold, not hot. Keep the cold food cold, and the hot food hot!

Having usable clutter items and more activities would also help here. A fruit bowl Sims can actually grab fresh fruit from. A knife block that Sims can grab a knife or even scissors from. A bottle of suntan lotion that can actually be carried in inventory and applied at the beach, and bought at the beach. “Don’t forget the sunscreen”. The umbrella rack from Seasons needs to return with options for custom user recolored umbrellas. The dishwasher with loading and unloading animations needs to be included from the start, as should stairs, slides, swings, elevators and ladders. Ramps are an important architectural feature as are spiral stairs.

Having transportation animations is also important, whether it be walking down an invisible stairs to a subway rabbit hole, waiting for and entering public transportation or carpools, riding bicycles or motorcycles, or opening the car, van or truck door for traveling or delivery. Plus if you are playing with a household but only want part of the household to move, a moving truck should arrive before the location to move to screen shows up.

Seeing Adult and child Sims open doors and cupboards would be adorable. Blenders and garbage disposals would be a nice addition too. Instead of the loading screen when traveling within the same world, cut scenes should be used, like ringing the doorbell, knocking on the door, having a friendly chat with the neighbor. I really miss the cut scenes from Sims 2. I miss the ability to see Sims repairing cars and fixing or repairing stuff from the junkyard.

Cars: there could be a choice between buying one from a used car salesman, repairing a junk car from the scrapyard, or a rabbit hole dealership selling hybrid vehicles.

Also, since Sims 4 has a playful emotion, laughing should be limited to this emotion, or serious should be a selectable trait. Also, Sims 5 really needs at least 5 trait slots, even if some are initially hidden. Reward traits help enormously and should absolutely be kept as well.

@CtrlAltDel good luck! Please keep us posted. 🙂
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Elevator animations. I want to see my Sims enter the elevator and not just vanish into thin air before the elevator.
    https://youtu.be/VxycaqJA8jE
    a256aFi.gif