Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rene Speculation: Personality

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
A thread to talk about all things related to personality and traits in Project Rene.
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
Post edited by simmerorigin on

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022
    With Project Rene, we could see a return to the personality points system of the Sims 1 and 2. Except instead of having a set amount of total allocated points that you can spread across the dimensions, the personality would be "sliders" that can be set across the extremes:

Sloppy-Neat
    Shy-Outgoing
    Lazy-Active
    Serious-Playful
    Grouchy-Nice

Traits are also nice for more specific quirks, so I could see the Sims development team combining core personality sliders with traits, kind of like this concept (although it still uses the points system).

media%2FFL-zPTWXoAA-7y8.png

I'm curious to follow Project Rene's development to see how they think about sim personality.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Wonder if there's a possibility of non-static traits? 🤔 Once a slob doesn't necessarily mean forever a slob.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,384 Member
    Wonder if there's a possibility of non-static traits? 🤔 Once a slob doesn't necessarily mean forever a slob.

That would be nice, to be able to change some of their traits if we enforce certain behaviour and if we stop enforcing it then they will go back to their native trait. Kind of like how likes and dislikes work. I would like to see a lazy sim moaning about having to clean, but not become neat because I make them clean. Would also be nice if there was a difference in how sims did things based on their traits. Like a lazy sim might prefer to throw away the dishes rather then wash them, or make the bed in a sloppy manner.
  • Options
    CordeliaBeaufortCordeliaBeaufort Posts: 76 Member
    I hope they dont tie this point system to astrological signs same as Sims 1 and 2. Otherwise, combining traits with personality sliders is great idea. Sliders should be dynamic though. For example, if you are influenced with someone who's neat, your neat point goes up.
  • Options
    I hope they dont tie this point system to astrological signs same as Sims 1 and 2. Otherwise, combining traits with personality sliders is great idea. Sliders should be dynamic though. For example, if you are influenced with someone who's neat, your neat point goes up.

Yes. Zodiac is independent of personality sliders. And I think the personality should be set at birth but there should be opportunities to gently nudge the personality sliders somewhat through things like parenting
  • Options
    CordeliaBeaufortCordeliaBeaufort Posts: 76 Member

Yes. Zodiac is independent of personality sliders. And I think the personality should be set at birth but there should be opportunities to gently nudge the personality sliders somewhat through things like parenting

As I remember, there was a Crystal Ball item in Sims 1, that gives you some special "quest" like "have a clean house, be nice to people" like. If you sucessfully complete these quests, your sliders corresponding to quest would go up (and goes down if you mess up with quest, would stay neutral if you neither did bad or good). Something similar would be nice.
  • Options

As I remember, there was a Crystal Ball item in Sims 1, that gives you some special "quest" like "have a clean house, be nice to people" like. If you sucessfully complete these quests, your sliders corresponding to quest would go up (and goes down if you mess up with quest, would stay neutral if you neither did bad or good). Something similar would be nice.

Oh I never used the crystal ball from Sims 1. That's what it was for. Very clever, Will!
  • Options
    SimmingWithDanaeSimmingWithDanae Posts: 15 Member
    @simmerorigin I completely agree and have envisioned that same concept before. Bringing back personality points or something similar would not only be nostalgic but allow for coverage of basic qualities and correspond to zodiac signs, while the addition of traits would be great for specific things like never nude or kleptomaniac.

On another note, I would love to see a return of turn ons and turn offs. Personally, I prefer to play in a way where I'm in total control of my sims' fate, so I enjoy predicting who's going to be attracted to who. If you're not like me, though, and you like your sims to decide for themselves, you could always choose to randomize attraction preferences in CAS.
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I don't mind the return of the personality slider from the first three games but I don't miss the astrological signs.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    I don't mind the return of the personality slider from the first three games but I don't miss the astrological signs.

Yes, some people have proposed and "unlinking" of the Zodiac signs to the personality points/sliders of Sims 1 and 2. I agree. they can be used for attraction system to some extent.
  • Options
    @simmerorigin I completely agree and have envisioned that same concept before. Bringing back personality points or something similar would not only be nostalgic but allow for coverage of basic qualities and correspond to zodiac signs, while the addition of traits would be great for specific things like never nude or kleptomaniac.

On another note, I would love to see a return of turn ons and turn offs. Personally, I prefer to play in a way where I'm in total control of my sims' fate, so I enjoy predicting who's going to be attracted to who. If you're not like me, though, and you like your sims to decide for themselves, you could always choose to randomize attraction preferences in CAS.

Same, I like playing wants-based and also letting my Sims decide their fate. I loved the "scope room" interaction where Sims would tell you who they preferred. Also the "one true sim" feature from the ACR mod.
  • Options
    I feel like it will take very long time for The Sims team to reveal this to us. I hope a volatile and overpowered emotion system doesn't supplant sims' personalities.