Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Rene (The Sims 5) speculation time

Comments

• simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited October 2022
    But will the whole experience be online multiplayer or just things like CAS and Building?
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited October 2022
    But will the whole experience be online multiplayer or just thinks like CAS and Building?

I think they want to bring back The Sims Online experience but at a smaller scale.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    But will the whole experience be online multiplayer or just thinks like CAS and Building?

I think they want to bring back The Sims Online experience but at a smaller scale.

That's what I'm wondering too, because the "Playtesting" description states something about an apartment
    This playtest will focus primarily on our new object customization tool currently called “Workshop.” This tool is meant to help you customize objects to decorate an apartment.

and if it's MMO-ish, having several sims live in an apartment would make sense to be bringing that to the base game.
    edited October 2022
    I'm extremely concerned about the multiplayer element. @Oldeseadogge with another nugget:

That is an online game, which has already been shown to be unworkable in Sims format. Sims is for us to make and play our own households as we wish. The very idea that some unknown personage from no telling where with quite possibly malevolent intent could bust into my game and wreck havoc (not to mention introduce viruses and such) is utterly repugnant. There are at least 2 Sims-like games out there already, so try those if you like dangerous gaming.

Dangerous gaming, indeed!
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    edited October 2022
    So this might be some interesting information.

I was trolling the Sims Community website looking for the "Sims 5 charaters" that someone said was shown on their Instragram account. I don't have Instragram so I couldn't view anything there, so I went to their actual webpage.

Anyway, I was reading articles and they had a post from July regarding Official EA Job Postings, and one of them specifically was for a "Mobile Simulation Engineer".

But, the interesting part was one of the requirements in the job description. It stated:
    Create mobile application features and systems that contribute to the experience of the main product.

https://simscommunity.info/2022/07/20/ea-starts-working-on-assistive-mobile-features-for-the-sims-5/

When I read that, I didn't interpret that as a true "online multi-player" version.

What does anybody else think?

edited October 2022
    So this might be some interesting information.

I was trolling the Sims Community website looking for the "Sims 5 charaters" that someone said was shown on their Instragram account. I don't have Instragram so I couldn't view anything there, so I went to their actual webpage.

Anyway, I was reading articles and they had a post from July regarding Official EA Job Postings, and one of them specifically was for a "Mobile Simulation Engineer".

But, the interesting part was one of the requirements in the job description. It stated:
    Create mobile application features and systems that contribute to the experience of the main product.

https://simscommunity.info/2022/07/20/ea-starts-working-on-assistive-mobile-features-for-the-sims-5/

When I read that, I didn't interpret that as a true "online multi-player" version.

What does anybody else think?

We've got an investigative reporter on our hands. Now THIS is what I call connecting the dots! Bravo, Chicklet!
    ----
    The way I read it, we must logically separate mobile features with multiplayer features. As the two can both exist together or by itself. My conclusion is that a Sims 5 mobile app will augment the experience of the core Sims 5 game (presumably on PC and console). It will augment the singleplayer experience AND / OR the multiplayer one - we do not know. As for multiplayer, we know AT MINIMUM multiplayer exists in the form of building collaboration. This multiplayer could even be extended into a Sims Online type of experience. Nothing disapproves that at the moment.
    edited October 2022
    More old interviews I remember @Chicklet453681
    Pearson shared that while most Sims players are on PC, there's a growing group who are "adding" playing The Sims on their phone to their routines. Players might play both The Sims 4 and The Sims Mobile. "We know younger audiences are tending toward their phones, which means they will grow into audiences who will probably still 'multiscreen,' she said. Meaning that more Sims players in the future will likely have their phones on while interacting with the game on PC or console.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/pc/lyndsay-pearson-dishes-on-the-sims-recent-development-challenges

I think this explains the whole mobile element. I think a Project Rene app could augment the core game experience on PC or console but is not meant to run the game entirely.
    @simmerorigin I think you may be right! And that the "mobile aspect" is not necessarily meant to actually play the entire game, but if someone was in the middle of building or creating something and they had to stop, they could potentially continue while away from their PC or Console and when they returned, what they did while on their phone would show in the game when they loaded it back up.

That's actually a little cool, if that's how it would work.

Think about it, you ever been building or creating something and stop because you have to go do something, and then some "inspiration" strikes you while you're away and you don't want to lose that train of thought .... just open the game on mobile, make the changes or additions or whatever you were thinking and then when you return, it's there .... WaaaaLaaah!
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    sam123 wrote: »
    TheBoyXP wrote: »
    "the couple of years", "the next few years", early announcement of 2 TS4 EP, ... I would say in 2 or 3 years, 2024 or 2025.

The studio usually stops creating content 1 years before the release date of a new game.

Yup, that's what I think too. They will post sneak peaks and updates through 2023 and 2024.

Also did you guys notice they added all threads about TS5 into this section? Some of the threads were made months ago is this confirmation of it being called Sims 5 lmao??

It's confirmation that I moved all the Sims 5 threads out of Off Topic because I hated putting them there. :)

LOL thanks for the clarification. :D
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I hope its just a spin-off.

The "cross-platform" thing sends shivers down my spine. Very few phones have the same RAM and processing ability as even entry-level PCs. I think the best have 8GB of RAM--with most having 4 gigs or so including my current phone. So, looks like we'll have basic graphics, basic mechanics, and no open world.

cody6268 wrote: »
    I hope its just a spin-off.

The "cross-platform" thing sends shivers down my spine. Very few phones have the same RAM and processing ability as even entry-level PCs. I think the best have 8GB of RAM--with most having 4 gigs or so including my current phone. So, looks like we'll have basic graphics, basic mechanics, and no open world.

Cross platform I think means that you can augment the experience with mobile I think.
    Pearson shared that while most Sims players are on PC, there's a growing group who are "adding" playing The Sims on their phone to their routines. Players might play both The Sims 4 and The Sims Mobile. "We know younger audiences are tending toward their phones, which means they will grow into audiences who will probably still 'multiscreen,' she said. Meaning that more Sims players in the future will likely have their phones on while interacting with the game on PC or console.
    edited October 2022
    Playtesting has already started, this development is enough advanced to let people to use it.

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I don't think we'll be waiting till 2024 somehow. Sometime 2023 is my guess.
    IngeJones wrote: »
    I don't think we'll be waiting till 2024 somehow. Sometime 2023 is my guess.

So when they say Sims 4 has "years [plural] to come," do you think they will overlap Sims 4 and Rene? Release Rene but still make content for Sims 4? That seems very unlikely.

If we assume no overlap, then the plural years implies the earliest must be 2024.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I think there will be overlap and it will be a very different game. I think they are prepared for some people to not like what Rene represents and to prefer to stick with TS4, and therefore it will still be making some pack sales.
  • SimmingWithDanaeSimmingWithDanae Posts: 15 Member
    I get the strange feeling that history is repeating itself with the Sims 5. I worry that the Sims 5 will be the new SimCity 2013, and Paralives or some other life sim is going to be the new Cities Skylines. Sure, the project Rene footage we saw looked promising in terms of customization, but let's not forget that micro-transaction is EA's middle name lol. Personally, I'm content to stick with the Sims 3 for now.
  • SimmingWithDanaeSimmingWithDanae Posts: 15 Member
    I wonder if Project Rene will sort of reinvent the Sims and do away with classic characters like the Goths / Calientes, etc. Maybe abandoning the traditional timeline in the sims 4 was a stepping stone to a different era of lore.
    I wonder if Project Rene will sort of reinvent the Sims and do away with classic characters like the Goths / Calientes, etc. Maybe abandoning the traditional timeline in the sims 4 was a stepping stone to a different era of lore.

Yes, delete Sims 4 out of the lore. It was an alternate universe game with no continuity. My preference is a game immediately after the events of Sims 2. Also a return of Sims 1 families like the Mashugas.
    edited October 2022
    But Project Rene could also be a reboot.
    Maybe the studio would like to refresh the stories of Bella Goth and others for Gen Z/Gen Alpha players.

The original universe also lacks of diversity. For example the relationships are only heterosexual.
    It's the opposite of the public image that EA is building for The Sims franchise.
    edited October 2022
    But Project Rene could also be a reboot.
    Maybe the studio would like to refresh the stories of Bella Goth and others for Gen Z/Gen Alpha players.

The original universe also lacks of diversity. For example the relationships are only heterosexual.
    It's the opposite of the public image that EA is building for The Sims franchise.

The original universe can always be updated with new Maxis-made families to add diversity. That's a simple fix. My point is that the return to the lore and canon is a welcome one given the much-maligned "alternate timeline" of the Sims 4.

No need to rewrite fundamental characteristics, relationships, and timelines. Continue the history and build on the foundation.

Sims 3 added a backstory to the events of Sims 1 and 2. Now for the future.

My prediction is that the Narrative Producers working on Project Rene will have the perspicacity and prudence to grasp the lore and continue the timeline into the beyond with Maxis-made events and storylines immediately following those of the Sims 2.

Best of luck!
    edited October 2022
    @simmerorigin

But who will remember the name of the new characters ?
    For example who remember the name of the gay couple in EP04 Cats & Dogs or EP11 Cottage Living.

These characters never become main roles, they are extras that nobody notice. It's not really a strong message of diversity.

It won't be surprising if the studio decide to change the lore because TV shows already do that.

For example Amber character in Invincible.
    Original vs TV series
    main-q10.jpg

Lord Corlys Velaryon
    Fire & Blood vs House of the Dragon
    corlys10.jpg

Lucienne vs Lucien in Sandman
    fpcauo10.jpg
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    @simmerorigin

But who will remember the name of the new characters ?
    For example who remember the name of the gay couple in EP04 Cats & Dogs or EP11 Cottage Living.

These characters never become main roles, they are extras that nobody notice. It's not really a strong message of diversity.

It won't be surprising if the studio decide to change the lore because TV shows already do that.

For example Amber character in Invincible.
    Original vs TV series
    main-q10.jpg

Um no? None of the sims characters in the pass sims games are main characters.They are characters that are there.That you can play as if you want, but the main character are sims we create or choose .

As for the reason no one remember the new diverse characters.Is because this is a problem in sims 4 in general.The new games characters in geral are not memorable .There stale and they have nothing really mind blowing about them.In sims 2 and 3 the npcs are more flesh out and have memorable backgrounds.If you look up sims lore the amount of detail they put in them in amazing.

I also would not want them to change the lore to make preexisting characters diverse .That sounds like bad idea.Just add new diverse and memorable families to the old lore.
    edited October 2022
    None of the sims characters in the pass sims games are main characters.

Yes and no, Bella Goth, Mortimer Goth and Malcolm Landgraab are main characters of this universe. The lore is based on these families.
    Agnes Crumplebottom (Mortimer's aunt) is even a special NPC.

arajofi8bwpg.jpg
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    None of the sims characters in the pass sims games are main characters.

Yes and no, Bella Goth, Mortimer Goth and Malcolm Landgraab are main characters of this universe. The lore is based on these families.
    Agnes Crumplebottom (Mortimer's aunt) is even a special NPC.

arajofi8bwpg.jpg

They're not the main characters! There the ones that are most popular!.
    edited October 2022
    We don't know yet if Project Rene will be a "reboot" like the 5th SimCity, or just an expansion of TS4 or TS1/2/3 universe.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think TS4 is the beginning of the new trilogy.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on