March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Subscription Services in the Sims Yes or No?

12346...Next

Comments

• ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited June 2022
    Other
    I voted Other.

Base game and DLC should continue as normal.

For online connectivity then I wouldn’t mind a monthly subscription to access multiplayer features. It does depend on who you know (or wish to play with) or if you’re willing to ‘give it a go’ with whoever else is logged in at the time.

Perhaps there’s certain worlds 🌎 accessed by multiplayer mode only. (Not sure if one world 🌎 would be enough anymore!)
    You don’t visit them to keep in single player mode. You pay the monthly fee to gain access to the worlds. You select each month whether you go go back.

Things that happen in a multiplayer world do not influence other worlds. There could be two save file functions to keep things separate.

My concerns are:
    Would you be able to use stuff bought in multiplayer mode if you don’t renew that month etc. 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

Also tracking progress and logging last achievements will need clarification as would you need to be ‘active’ to your keep saves or if you stay away too long that means starting over? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    No, I am not okay with paying each month to play the game. I want the base game and packs, DLC to be sold for standard prices like always
    I voted Other.

Base game and DLC should continue as normal.

For online connectivity then I wouldn’t mind a monthly subscription to access multiplayer features. It does depend on who you know (or wish to play with) or if you’re willing to ‘give it a go’ with whoever else is logged in at the time.

Perhaps there’s certain worlds 🌎 accessed by multiplayer mode only. (Not sure if one world 🌎 would be enough anymore!)
    You don’t visit them to keep in single player mode. You pay the monthly fee to gain access to the worlds. You select each month whether you go go back.

Things that happen in a multiplayer world do not influence other worlds. There could be two save file functions to keep things separate.

My concerns are:
    Would you be able to use stuff bought in multiplayer mode if you don’t renew that month etc. 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

Also tracking progress and logging last achievements will need clarification as would you need to be ‘active’ to your keep saves or if you stay away too long that means starting over? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

No worlds or anything like that that is accessible by multiplayer only.

I do not want my available worlds to be limited just because I do not wish to subscribe or play multiplayer.

Multiplayer versions of worlds? Sure. But no multiplayer only worlds.

And achievements should not expire just because you didn't subscribe for a long enough period of time. That's just absurd. And if I achieved something only to come back after an extended break to find out that the achievement had been erased, I'd be done. That would be my final purchase of the entire game - include of the single player portion. At least for a very very very good long while. And I would never subscribe again and would likely reach out to EA to get the month or whatever I subscribed for refunded. Because I would not play it.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2022
    No, I am not okay with paying each month to play the game. I want the base game and packs, DLC to be sold for standard prices like always
    No, thanks. This is not like an MMO like Final Fantasy 14, etc. (And even then, I do prefer Elder Scrolls Online with the one-time paying of base games and expansion packs, to use a different MMO model, though.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Horrible idea and if they do go that route I will not be playing The Sims 5…
  • AraeliumAraelium Posts: 60 Member
    No, absolutely not. Sims 4 is already somewhat lacking, imo, and doing this to later games will just turn me off the franchise. And what about players who cannot afford it?
  • KurotardKurotard Posts: 380 Member
    ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I've paid enough for The Sims series already. If it goes sub based, I'm tapping out.
  • beckyx1991beckyx1991 Posts: 19 Member
    If it’s not broke, don’t fix it - buying expansions and packs works fine. When you add everything together, it’s actually crazy expensive if you were to buy them all at once.
    Subscriptions are an absolute money pit, they’d lose me as a player.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    I once got laid off--they closed my office and let everyone go--and for the first two weeks if I didn't have the Sims to distract me, I would have been in despair while I was waiting for interviews and callbacks. Can you imagine being rock bottom and getting blocked from your game?! No thank you.

Rachel Franklin tried this with TS4, didn't she? Doesn't she work for FB now... what a hot mess.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    Yes, I have no problem paying a price each month to play with specialized content but I don't want to pay subscription for the base game and normal packs, DLC
    I once got laid off--they closed my office and let everyone go--and for the first two weeks if I didn't have the Sims to distract me, I would have been in despair while I was waiting for interviews and callbacks. Can you imagine being rock bottom and getting blocked from your game?! No thank you.

Rachel Franklin tried this with TS4, didn't she? Doesn't she work for FB now... what a hot mess.

She's actually back at EA now! The revolving door revolves! She's working on "Positive Play"
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    Short answer: No
    Long answer: Nooooo
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr
  • DeeSimsGirlDeeSimsGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Absolutely not. If they do some kind of thing for those who don’t have all the packs that’s different but I prefer to purchase it straight out. & what would that mean for the ones who have already purchased all the packs?? Cause if they try to make me pay again (which is illegal) I will sue.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Subscription service is okay if it's an either/or type of thing. My son played Wizard 101 when he was little. They have two ways to access the game. You can either buy permanent access to lands in the game or pay a monthly subscription to access them all. A slow player might save money buying lands, but a player who wants to do a quick run through might be better off with a subscription.

For Sims there might be players who want to own the game and others who might just want to experience the game for a short time. As long as I am able to get the same experience buying DLC as someone with a subscription I would be okay with it.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    edited October 2022
    If I could figure out a way to keep my sims3 store content in which I have invested so much money, and keep my sims3 game beyond and without origin or the pesky ea app which by all reports doesn't play well with soms3 and denies people the dlc they paid for, it's probably going to be farewell forever to the rest of the sims franchise, if they do the craven thing and make you put your bank account on a slow drip transfusion straight to their coffers, just to play.

The purported convenience of merely subscribing for access is oversold: have they paid attention to how many people are turning to vinyl now that they have seen the problem with paying an access fee to stream music? Never really owning anything but paying rent on it forever?

The same consumer backlash is happening in streaming media: yes, Disney Plus and HBOmax, primeVideo etc are all raking in the big bucks, but people are starting to realize how fast sp many leeches can bleed one dry even if each one alone isn't such a problem.

The big problem is the overall lifestyle of owning nothing, and ending up with nothing after paying continually over time, far more than any of the hardcopy versions would have cost, and it's not even yours later. You can't pay monthly til you've sunk in 3x what it's worth then walk away owning it like you can with rent-a-center: it's never yours, and you are left holding nothing the minute you stop paying.

It's a glorious scheme for corporations and the worst one for the consumer in the end.

But even now, GenZ are buying up vinyl records and hard media for movies and shows they love because they have seen what happens when all you did was rent access temporarily but it's something you love. So I think the feeding frenzy of access-fees-forever has already crested.

Edited because autocorrect is a dunderhead.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • AjaGioAjaGio Posts: 262 Member
    edited October 2022

I am not okay with paying a monthly fee. Some months are busier than others and bills add up. (Holidays are coming) What
    if someone can't afford to pay every month! What if someone lost their job?! What if... what if ...what if!!! When I buy the game, I want to play whenever and wherever I like. If I don't play for a while because of life events my game will still be there and not cost me anything more! I have canceled subscriptions because life happened and either it got too expensive (because we know things keep going up) or I just haven't the time to use it. I don't like the idea of pay to play. I like it how it is now. Please don't change this part!!!! I have been playing SIMs for the 20 + years, I'm an original Simmer. I have always moved with each game; I don't want this to be my last! :'(
  • AjaGioAjaGio Posts: 262 Member
    telemwill wrote: »
    Subscription service is okay if it's an either/or type of thing. My son played Wizard 101 when he was little. They have two ways to access the game. You can either buy permanent access to lands in the game or pay a monthly subscription to access them all. A slow player might save money buying lands, but a player who wants to do a quick run through might be better off with a subscription.

For Sims there might be players who want to own the game and others who might just want to experience the game for a short time. As long as I am able to get the same experience buying DLC as someone with a subscription I would be okay with it.

So a combo like thing. That might work, as long as there isn't subscription only content and we can just buy the games for the long term players, that is an idea. :)
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    Yes, I have no problem paying a price each month to play with specialized content but I don't want to pay subscription for the base game and normal packs, DLC
    My theory is that, if Sims 4 base game being free goes well, Sims 5 base game will be free. And the Sims Team will need to make their money somehow....
    No loot boxes in the Sims --> subscription service. It's likely.

If it MUST happen, I want a subscription that is opt-in and nonintrusive as possible.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • DarkLady2788DarkLady2788 Posts: 345 Member
    I said no as I have spent possibly over a £1000 over the years of playing the sims. Since sims1 I have bought every EP,SP, GP and now Kits I bought a lot from the sims three store worlds where not cheap and I have every one of them too 😂
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    edited October 2022
    My theory is that, if Sims 4 base game being free goes well, Sims 5 base game will be free. And the Sims Team will need to make their money somehow....

If it MUST happen, I want a subscription that is opt-in and nonintrusive as possible.

i do not mind the sims5 being free but subcriptions no thank you and question have you tough that not all players went a subcription base game as a player i do not went a subcription in the sims5 and i doubt the day of realise the sims5 base game will be free also *edit a little reminder on the poll results that 88% of players of the sims do not went a subcription basegame No, I am not okay with paying each month to play the game. I want the base game and packs, DLC to be sold for standard prices like always
    88%
    crocobauracanitbemanCK213icmnfrshLeGardePourpreBreeSashapisceschick75Sara1010PEmma_ValentineGalacticGalMichelleWNighteyesOolonglongRflong7MartinvBloodC24AyradysslisamwittGoodywoodSasquatch7 261 votes
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member

Interesting theory but... TS4 is currently free only as a marketing ploy to entice fresh players into the game. TS4 is ancient by game standards and would have been in the bargain bin years ago if the old buy PC games in retail stores model was still around.