Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Under The Tartosan Sun

Comments

• luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,552 Member
    My favorite joy and challenge with Sims storytelling is that the characters really do jump up and do surprising things. Thanks for sharing. It's always interesting to get insight into someone else's creative process.

Of course, you realize the trap you've put yourself in now? I want to know what's going on with Allegra! :)
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,654 Member
    @luciusstorm Allegra will definitely join the cast before we get to Matteo and Liberty's wedding. I'm not sure she's going to make it to the main cast, but the door is open. I feel like I'm still setting up the story, and that the real storytelling hasn't begun. As I'm fond of saying, this story is just getting started.😁
    edited October 2022
    I'm working on the next episode and I'm taking a break to eat breakfast and have another pot of coffee. As I was writing and leading up to Matteo's proposal I was recapping some things that happened a few episodes back and that tie into their relationship dynamics. I unintentionally wandered into Leonardo's role in all of this, the descent and the rebirth of Matteo. For Leonardo's part in this I thought back to things I've overheard in the real world. Those sexist, misogynistic men, and the things they say to each other when they think there's no women within earshot. I have grown to the point of really disliking Leonardo, even though his character developed like I thought. When you get done reading his paragraph though, you're going to hate him. He's a world class slime ball, and he makes Travis look like a choir boy. That also works into setting up Izabella Bernard's role in the story coming up. Oh dear readers, that one's going to be fun.😋
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    Sometimes stories develop forwards and sometimes they develop outwards :) I'm enjoying this
    gen3-banner.png
    @DaniRose2143, @mightysprite and I were just speaking about the joy of a good villain over on Wyrd Girls. I think Leonardo counts.
    edited October 2022
    @luciusstorm @mightysprite I wouldn't call him a villain just yet, but I take back my slime ball comment. Slime ball would a few rungs higher up the evolutionary ladder. I've reread what I've written up to this point three times now and I hate his guts more with every reread. His relationship with Izabella is going to be really entertaining for us. Right now in my mind the way I have her character fleshed out, he has no idea what he's getting himself into. His extremely dismissive and misogynistic views of women are blinding him.

Edit: I just thought of how to describe him. As women no matter what our sexual orientation, we have all met at least one man who openly suggests that we should be down on our hands and knees groveling at his feet and thanking the Lord God almighty for granting us mere women the gift of his presence in our lives. That's Leonardo.
    edited October 2022
    @DaniRose2143, I'll be looking forward to seeing the proto-slime (would that be sludge?) get his... and to seeing how you write it up. :)

Edit - Why do I feel like Leonardo and Max should meet up at bar and share their sludge-ness over a generic Rated-T drink. :smiley:
    edited March 11
    *Trigger Warning*
    This episode does include language, thoughts, and ideas of the character Leonardo that are of a sexist nature. They are under the first spoiler tag. I apologize to any who may be offended. Their inclusion is intended to show what he’s like and make his downfall later sweeter. I also apologize that this story has been up for several hours now without this warning. I pulled his dialogue from conversations I have overheard where men have been talking without realizing there were women within earshot.

Chapter Twenty Two

For Liberty and Matteo the last few months have been full of discovery, passion, and the coming together of two hearts. Their meeting at the bay in Tartosa on that beautiful spring day had been an accident. Summer and Danielle had known Matteo for a while but were still a little unsure about what to think of him. His seemingly close friendship with Leonardo wasn't exactly flattering to his image. Summer did feel a small spark of romantic attraction for Leonardo, but she wasn't completely convinced he was someone she could trust with her heart. He had an undeniable sex appeal, but he didn't inspire trust. Summer wasn't sure, but there were one or two times out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw a dismissive and condescending look from Leonardo. Those feelings were carried over to Matteo, a guilt by association thing. To Summer it felt like Matteo was trying really hard to keep up with, and impress, his friend. At the same time Danielle was telling her there was something about Matteo that she couldn't put her finger on. She told Summer that she sensed Matteo was a lost soul. That he was looking for something or someone to give him purpose. She wasn't convinced after talking with him on a few occasions that Matteo was the player he was trying to make himself out to be. Under the shallow bro cover, there was a deep thinker, a compassionate and sensitive soul.
    p7e4qKY.png

Danielle invited the guys to join them for a swim in the bay. She never thought that Matteo, or Liberty for that matter, would find such chemistry. It never occurred to her that either one was looking for love right then. Her conversations with Liberty since her arrival in Tartosa had barely touched on the subject of Liberty's love life. But Danielle saw the spark when they met face to face. From there, she knew she had to make sure those two got together again so that they could explore that connection further and see if something might come from it. It did, and soon their relationship became committed. Everything Danielle thought she sensed in Matteo early on was being proven true, and that she hadn't truly comprehended how right she had been. Matteo was showing himself to be someone very special, a unicorn even. Unlike the bro cover, this didn't have even the slightest hint that it was an act. The 'love 'em and leave 'em' Matteo, that was an act. Now the world was seeing the real Matteo Rossi, the one his family knows and loves. Liberty's love was the bump he needed to get his life back on track. She filled that empty space in his soul so perfectly you could imagine it was shaped exactly like her.
    Liberty soon moved in and Leonardo was out the door. That was fine by him. He didn't need all this nonsense, and his 'friend' was turning out to be a real flake. He gave them both his best fake smile as he was packing up to leave. " Just like he was back in school. He was soft then and he's as girly as that Liberty chick" Leonardo thought as he was walking away, all the while mocking the lovers talk he'd heard Matteo and Liberty share since they met. He should have known Matteo wasn't man enough to hang in the real world. "Good riddance" he added out loud even though by that time Matteo and Liberty were well out of earshot. "I'm getting tired of her friend too. When is she going to get the hint? If she doesn't break things off, and soon, I'll boot her out myself" Leonardo fumed. "She isn't very bright but I thought she was smarter than this. Dumb women are the best but only if you get the right one Leonardo! Remember that the next time" he added as he drove on towards another friends home where he could crash for a few days. That would work while he found his own place. Even better, someone else he could leach off of. Then it hit him, Izabella. In Leonardo's mind she had everything a woman needed to be perfect. She was rich, like super rich. She was gorgeous, and in his mind dumb as a rock. "Time to start thinking about a move to San Myshuno Leo" his reptilian brain was working overtime. "San My is the perfect place for me, and it'll be even better with Izabella's bank account to play with! Thank you Matteo, loser."

Liberty settled in quickly and got busy renovating.
    NqdkOsU.png

Matteo meanwhile had rediscovered his magic. A career that was falling apart has found new life.
    tuu1ovn.png
    IOIqgnS.png

They both feed off the love they share, and they aren't shy about showing each other just how much they're loved.
    tHMnKYN.png
    ZvlnLJl.png
    oHBgrCL.png

With his life on track, and Liberty to thank for it, Matteo knew in his heart it was time to really and truly show Liberty how much she means to him. Liberty is his muse, his confidante, his rock, his soulmate. It's the perfect time to propose and he wanted to make it as memorable as possible. He needed help though, and he knew exactly who to ask. The romance novelist who was the cupid that brought his angel into his life. Even better she lives next door so they can get together and plan this properly.

"You're not going to believe the phone call I just got", Danielle said to her friends, barely able to contain her happiness.
    "I'm sure it was something big judging by that squeal I just heard you let out" Summer said as the smile bloomed on her face. "I caught a couple of words too. Is it what I think it is?"
    "Matteo's on his way over" Danielle deadpanned.
    Londyn knows her bae well, and she knows when Danielle is setting them up. "That's all?" she asked slyly, playing into Danielle's hands
    "No. He's coming over to discuss his proposal to Liberty!"
    WkmM8Rq.png
    "Your kidding? Your not kidding! OMG!!!" Summer screamed, totally unable to stop herself.
    "I don't know her like you two do", Londyn said, "but she is so sweet, and I'm so happy for her! Matteo is such a wonderful man and they are good for one another."

A few minutes later Matteo arrived and they got down to business. Matteo told them that he wanted to make the night as special as he could. "Who better than you Danielle to help me plan the perfect surprise?" he asked in his charming way.
    "I watched you with Liberty and you're really good with affairs of the heart yourself. But I would love to help you anyway I can" Danielle added. "Liberty is very dear to us too and we're all very happy for both of you."
    "I can't believe Liberty is getting engaged! Oh my god, she is such a lucky girl for finding you!" Summer said still feeling as giddy as if she was the one getting engaged.
    3UvB87U.png

Matteo mentioned a few ideas and quickly hit one that the ladies really liked. He told them about this wonderful little family owned restaurant right there in Tartosa. His father Davide used to take the family there once a month. His dad often slipped away with his mom Francesca so they could enjoy a romantic dinner without the kids, which did wonders to keep their romance alive.

"What's the name of this restaurant?" Danielle asked.
    "La Cucina Toscana" he said.

Matteo had barely finished talking when Danielle said it was a lovely idea. She and Londyn had been there once not long ago and thought the atmosphere was prefect for the occasion. Also that ravioli was to die for! Summer added that she and Darian visit often, it's not far from their love nest, to enjoy how the place gets them in the mood. That little tidbit was met with three sets of raised eyebrows and knowing smiles. Summer quickly blushed a shade of red that most doctors would say was impossible.

"I've got their website up" Londyn said. "Do you have a day in mind? I'd be happy to make a reservation for you two if you want?"
    "Actually I have an idea, if Matteo is willing?" Summer said, excitement all over her face.
    "I'd love to hear it!" he said
    "How about we make this a couples night out. It will make it even more of a surprise for her."

Danielle was already getting into this. "We could start the night with drinks and dancing at Celebrazioni, and then head over for a late night dinner." "We were there", she said reaching to touch Londyn's hand, "around 11pm the night we went. It was quiet which would better. I do get a little squeamish when men pop the question in crowds. It can feel very awkward for the woman with all those eyes on her. And feeling pressured to say yes. I feel like having us there, as her lifelong friends wouldn't be awkward for her."

Summer said, "Liberty would love to have us there. I know that for a fact!"
    "It's settled then. Would you like me to make the reservation Matteo? I see here, we can book the entire main dining area after 11pm! That would make it just the six of us." Londyn asked hopefully.
    "Yes. If we can get the reservation for Friday...
    "We can." Londyn beamed.
    "Perfect"
    "Alright, it's done."
    "I don't know how to thank you ladies for all you've done for Liberty and I"
    "You can thank us by just being you and making Liberty very happy" Danielle said before giving him a friendly kiss on the cheek.
    Na0ppYC.png

The rest of the week flew by and before they knew it the day was here. Earlier they got together for a little fun on the beach before they started to get ready for the evening. Danielle even brought along her new guitar to entertain everybody...and serenade Londyn.jelO12f.png
    They met up again later that evening at Celebrazioni. The dancing soon commenced.
    vNyZXPU.png

And so did the romance.
    jNXT8jX.png

The group gave Liberty and Matteo space to be together. They couldn't resist the temptation to have a couple of slow dances.L2j3BjW.png

"Dear sweet Liberty, you have no idea what's in store for you. You are going to be so happy." Summer thought while watching her friend dance.
    kfDlaSV.png

It's just about time to leave for La Cucina Toscana. A quick moment alone to calm the nerves. Matteo wanted to be sure he didn't mess this up. He had no worries about Liberty's answer, he knew it was going to be yes, but he was still a bundle of nerves.
    bL2nac0.png

The couples arrived at La Cucina Toscana and were seated quickly, the moment drawing nearer and nearer. The romantic vibes the restaurant puts out were already working. Danielle and Londyn couldn't help making eyes at each other over their menus. Summer sitting there trying not to laugh at what was going on next to her.
    ilUZTM4.png
    With their orders placed head chef Caleb Vatore and his staff swung into action. They are a marvelous crew of professionals that make some of the most wonderful meals inspired by the founding owner's home of Tuscany.
    MSI58S6.png

GWyBbmq.png
    Liberty ordered Mushroom Risotto with Truffle Oil and a glass of Monte Vista Reserve Renoit. Matteo had Ravioli Pomodoro and Old Yorkshire Classic 16 which he didn't touch until after the proposal, he was so nervous. Danielle chose Linguine Al Pesto instead of the ravioli and a Soft Shadow Avornalino. Londyn's choice was Butternut Gnocchi and a glass Soft Shadow Avornalino too. Summer couldn't pass up her regular order, Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe paired Soft Shadow Avornalino, combination guaranteed to please. Last but not least Darian ordered the Volcano Pasta which seemed to hold his attention. So much so he missed Matteo's lovely proposal. Darian chose to pair his pasta with a Ridgeport.

And then it was time. Matteo turned to Liberty and asked her to join him by the fireplace. Meanwhile things were heating up with Londyn. It seems the fireplace wasn't the only thing on fire. Truth be told, things were heating up all around that table. La Cucina Toscana is a powerful love charm.
    eT5vCV3.png
    "Liberty, when you came into my life I was lost and alone. I had become someone even I didn't recognize. I was living from one party to the next. I had no direction, no purpose, and life had no meaning. Then that day on the beach. I met you, we talked, and I knew I didn't want that moment to end. I wanted to stay right there and keep talking to you. It hurt when you had to leave for home. But I knew when you left that I would see you again."
    2uWhDTJ.png

"I knew the miles were not going to keep us apart. And so I came to you, and you welcomed me into your life. Little by little our love grew until you came back to Tartosa, and that night by the sea, we both knew there was no staying apart any longer. I knew I wanted you in my life from that day on. I know you felt the same, you packed up your world and joined me here. And now I want to take the next step, the step that will bind us together forever."
    dvN3JMr.png

"Liberty Lee, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"
    wDTBVSA.png

"There is nothing in the world that would make me happier!"
    BQ2w692.png

"Yes, baby I will marry you!"
    rb1xFgO.png
    vt4G5ZM.png
    J1pNwmg.png
    7aE5VWB.png
    8nKPsrq.png

Yes!!!!
    FIghWoQ.png

Allow me to show you just how happy I am..big boy!
    cp2qmJw.png
    fJIMWc3.png

Thank you for hanging in there when it takes me forever to do an episode. As always, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for reading.🥰 I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did creating it.
    Post edited by DaniRose2143 on
    @DaniRose2143, well worth the wait. Bravo Matteo... got his life on track, listened to sage advise of friends and proposed to a wonderful woman.
    Meanwhile, I have the distinct feeling the wretched Leonardo is heading for trouble...
    edited October 2022
    @luciusstorm Thank you very much. That breakfast break on Saturday cost me time. I was in the flow and afterwards I lost it.
    I really wanted to make Leonardo the bad guy he is in my mind and I wanted readers to really hate him. I just hope I didn’t go too far with his dialogue. I sincerely apologize to anyone is offended by his thoughts of women. He is going to rue the day if he continues on this path, because he’s judging Izabella on her looks. Just because she looks like a certain negative sexist stereotype. She just happens to like those clothes and makeup style. She feels empowered and confident even though others look down on her or make rude comments. She feels pretty and nobody is going wreck her mood with those remarks. As Leonardo will discover eventually, there is a lot of truth to the saying ‘Never judge a book by its cover’.
    @DaniRose2143
    I think you kept Leonardo within the rated T confines while making him sufficiently sludge-like to be despicable. I'm rather looking forward to seeing him again... ideally crushed under the heel of a fashionable stiletto pump. :)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    Great job! @DaniRose2143 What a fun read. Sometimes, it's wise to take time on a chapter. You did yourself proud.
    @luciusstorm Thank you very much. That breakfast break on Saturday cost me time. I was in the flow and afterwards I lost it.
    I really wanted to make Leonardo the bad guy he is in my mind and I wanted readers to really hate him. I just hope I didn’t go too far with his dialogue. I sincerely apologize to anyone is offended by his thoughts of women. He is going to rue the day if he continues on this path, because he’s judging Izabella on her looks. Just because she looks like a certain negative sexist stereotype. She just happens to like those clothes and makeup style. She feels empowered and confident even though others look down on her or make rude comments. She feels pretty and nobody is going wreck her mood with those remarks. As Leonardo will discover eventually, there is a lot of truth to the saying ‘Never judge a book by its cover’.

You shouldn't have to apologize for showing how a character is. Yes, there are people who think like him in the real world. You are just depicting things as they are. But, I would suggest you substitute a word such as boofoe (which is the phonetics of what I heard my Sim Teen say several times) or plum. I was distracted trying to figure out what word he used underneath the censoring hearts.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited October 2022
    @GalacticGal Thank you very much for the kind words and advice.

It was an abbreviation, one I meant to go back and change once I had that part written. I included it help me get into his mind, what would a guy say. I just forgot to clean it up in the editing stage.☺️ This was a very rare time when I initially wrote it exactly how I think the character would say it in the real world. It was salty in places. That’s a dangerous way to write for just this reason.

I’m so glad you pointed it out.🤗

My worry, and why I decided to add the warning, was in case the picture I was painting of him, could bring back painful or traumatic memories for someone who has been through an abusive relationship. That’s something I would never want to do.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,775 Member
    Lovely episode <3

I so wish they would of brought that table proposal back with MWS , ah , maybe some day.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    Lovely episode <3

I so wish they would of brought that table proposal back with MWS , ah , maybe some day.

Table proposal? Do you mean the way they proposed at a restaurant in Sims2?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,775 Member
    Lovely episode <3

Yes, I used it all the time :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    Lovely episode <3

Yes, I used it all the time :)

Me, too.
    edited October 2022
    @Ellupelluellu Thank you very much!

I missed out on that because I never got to play 2. I did want him to get up and move a couple of steps and propose closer to the rest. But when he got down on his knee and had Liberty right in front of the fire place I was like, go for it. It wasn't my first choice, but it was a lovely second. And it kept the camera turned so that you couldn't see the others completely absorbed in their own little conversations. It wasn't until she slipped the ring on her finger and held it up to admire it that the others became aware that something was happening.🤣 It took lovable goofball Darian a lot longer to figure it out. That's why this picture cracks me up...
    XUSVqef.png?1

That slightly dumbfounded look on his face. "What are you ladies cheering for? Did I miss something?"
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    Great proposal chapter <3
    I might have said this before, but I really like Liberty's decorating taste, and the lighting in the restaurant is gorgeous.
    As for Matteo's journey, I think sexism is damaging for men as well as for women; too many guys get caught up in trying to prove that they're superiorly masculine compared to all the other dudes, and forget how to just be themselves (or even human beings) in the process. I'm so glad Matteo is finding himself.
    gen3-banner.png
    edited October 2022
    @mightysprite For a few weeks now I've been thinking about what direction exactly I wanted to take Izabella's character. I have it now. There are still some things to work out but that can happen as her storyline develops.
    I want her character to push back at stereotyping. Her appearance was always meant to be a bit misleading. The motivations and personality it was covering is different now, and yet, she is still not as she appears. She has a past. There are some things in it that's she proud of. Some things she's not. She owns her mistakes. She will not allow her past to dictate her future, or a sexist sleaze like Leonardo to do so either. I have a feeling Leonardo will learn this lesson one day. How much it hurts, we'll see.😈

@AprilS Thank you, I'm so happy you are enjoying the story!

I have an idea coming together in my imagination right now for the debut of Izabella. It will be a different narrative style, she'll do a monologue and explain to us how her life choices and circumstances have led her to where she is now. I think everybody is going to love it, and it makes her a very sympathetic character. But there are one or two details that are important to her story and they could once again tap into difficult subjects, and ones that are potentially far more upsetting than Leonardo's caveman thoughts. I just need to sort out which direction to go and how far is too far.
    I'm really close to having the next episode ready. I have a lot of the dialogue done, just a little left to write. I want to get a couple of screenshots to go with it. I have a couple of appointments but I may still have it ready to go tonight.
    edited November 2022
    Hi everyone!🤗 I’m back!😁

I have the new version of Izabella’s story ready to go. When I get home from work I want to proofread it one more time and paste it in here to be sure the pictures are in the correct order. Then it will be ready for your enjoyment. This will be an entirely new backstory for her to go along with her all new look. Honestly, I love the new story and the new Izabella so much more. I hope you will too.🥰

I have a lot more to say but I will talk about that in an author’s commentary after I post the story.

I missed you all so much!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top