Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seventeen & Maldusk: A Supernatural Soap Opera

Comments

• SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,767 Member
    Woop new chapter!!!
    I love Ion so much XD I love how clueless they are on Earth culture but also how fascinated they're adorable. I laughed so hard at the 'NAILED IT!' with the compliment to Tristan XD All of his social attempts are far too relatable. Know all too well the 'yeah I nailed that interaction' and they look at me like I nailed their cat to the ceiling. I love this so much still, can't wait to see Ion find out about their 'unit mate's likely vampirism : P
    they/them or she/her
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    Thanks for reading!

@HermioneSims I think the Sims 4 aliens are super adorable. I just love them.

@SnowBnuuy Ion is very easy for me to relate to as well. I think this XKCD comic pretty much sums up how I typically feel in social interactions. :lol:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,808 Member
    You are truly a creature after my own heart! I love XKCD but haven't read them in a long time. Sometimes I feel very understood by those stick figures.
    Here in exchange is a very old, but Ion-appropriate, entry
    https://xkcd.com/15
    gen3-banner.png
    @mightysprite :lol: Wow, that one takes me way back. Only the serious xkcd fans know about those. Lol.

We love that comic strip in this family. We're two super-science-nerds, with lots of social awkwardness, so lots there for us to love. Clips from that comic are literally the only things I have taped to my office door at work.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    edited May 2023
    Chapter 4 is ready! Reuben gets his turn to talk.

Main page link

Chapter index link

Reuben has a secret.
    SAM-C4-Reuben-Chap-Link.jpg
    Post edited by GlacierSnow on
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    YES this was great
    The way you wrote vampirism into the story was awesome. I really got a sense of how it functions (or doesn't) in the city. The darker fringe world that some know about and avoid, others are blissfully ignorant of.

Also, Seventeen and Maldusk are quite opposite indeed, light and dark...

And "blah blah blah" was quite telling too XD
    gen3-banner.png
    @mightysprite Thanks for your comments! :heart:

When I started working on this story idea (about three years ago) one of the few things I knew for sure was that vampires would need to get fresh blood (no convenient plasma packs or fruit). I've since fleshed that idea out even more, so eventually you'll learn more about it. But yeah, Reuben either has to hunt, or "make arrangements" with someone.

Ion and Reuben are quite different. I definitely prefer stories with characters who are all very different from each other. How they interact because of being different is what draws me in.
    And "blah blah blah" was quite telling too XD
    :lol: I think Reuben also doesn't listen unless he's getting paid for it.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 774 Member
    Seventeen is always so funny!
    ... he really seems to be talking non-stop with Reuben, I can definitively relate with the latter in this sense XD
    Seeing Reuben's viewpoint was quite intriguing as well. Now it's confirmed that he's actually a vampire and that he needs to drink blood, but he also sounds like he has a quite difficult relationship with his true nature after all... Interesting.
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.12 posted on the 25th of March 2024*
    @HermioneSims Thanks for reading and commenting! :smiley:

Reuben's definitely having a hard time adjusting to sharing his space with someone else. It remains to be seen whether Ion will actually notice this. :lol:

I'd say you're right about Reuben having a difficult relationship with his own nature as a vampire.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
    Chapter 4
    Ah, rent. I feel your pain on that one, Maldusk. I really do. It’s a black hole that sucks up all your hard work and keeps you from saving to afford anything better. Huh. Maybe I should get an alien roommate, too…

Aw, I was wondering why he’d taken Seventeen in so readily, and reading that he’s looking out for naive Ion’s safety is actually very heartwarming. Maldusk seems like a good guy. Wait no, tell me more about the music and mating rituals, darn it- bwaha omg Ion 😂 I mean, I understand why he doesn’t understand that he’s bugging Maldusk, he needs to learn absolutely everything fresh. Having someone leave you mid-conversation and not getting the hint, though. My gods 🤣

I wonder how he turned into a vampire. He seems to have a very good handle on himself, down to who he picks and how much he allows himself to drain. It sure doesn’t sound like he had a choice about his vampirism. I wonder if someone turned him, or if he was like that from the start. Poor guy. Hating yourself for something you can’t change is… rough.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    @_sims_Yimi Thanks for reading! :smiley::heart:

Yup, rent. :lol: Even vampires need a place to... uh... "live". Not everyone has some big gloomy ancestral castle they can hang around in.

Ion sure does seem to have some trouble with social cues. Probably they are different than the norms on Sixam. (Breaking immersion for just a moment, this was one of those "I canceled the chat interaction and walked away but the other sim is still talking" game moments, but in this case it really fit. :joy: So I went with it.)

Yeah, Reuben felt protective of Ion for a moment and made that choice kind of impulsively. I think he's regretting that already. Lol. He seems like a guy who puts a lot of stock in self-control and careful decisions. This can't be easy for him.

Reuben's past... We will want to gather some supplies, and perhaps arm ourselves, before we sail into those waters. :wink:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Chapter comment!
    Throughout this whole thing my thought is...it's a stark contrast to Ion. We have the one who's curious and wants to see everything, and then one who's probably been alive enough to feel like there's no such thing as curiosity when you already know the ways of the world.

I already love the fact that Reuben is just 'ugh' with roommates and seemingly with people, meanwhile Ion is just 'let me tell you everything about EVERYTHING!' Nooo Reuben don't snack on your roommate...who knows what's in Sixamian blood? And how it tastes? Ahh 🐸🐸🐸🐸, that fight in the park X_X Ah there we go. I didn't expect him to feel guilty about drinking for some reason, mainly since I figured he'd be more of a careless type when he walked past what happened in the park. Interesting that his position is an attempt at some form of redemption. I already love the depth to him, and I think Ion's cheery and energetic nature will compliment him well!
    they/them or she/her
    @SnowBnuuy Thanks for commenting! :heart:

Reuben definitely gives off that "I've seen it all" vibe, in contrast to Ion's "everything is so interesting". When I first created Ion and Reuben, I actually was just testing out some stuff from new packs I had bought (I got "Get to Work" after I got "Vampires"). But there was just something about those two that I loved, and a story needed to happen.
    Nooo Reuben don't snack on your roommate...who knows what's in Sixamian blood? And how it tastes?

:joy::joy: Reuben better be careful. Sixamnians may not have the same blood chemistry as humans...
    I didn't expect him to feel guilty about drinking for some reason, mainly since I figured he'd be more of a careless type when he walked past what happened in the park.

Did you notice that the guy he picked to drink from was one of the bullies roughing up that blond kid?
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    @GlacierSnow Oh my goodness I had to take another look!
    IDK how I didn't notice that? I'm a melt XD
    they/them or she/her
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @GlacierSnow Oh my goodness I had to take another look!
    IDK how I didn't notice that? I'm a melt XD

:joy::lol: Easy to miss. I doubt you're the only one.

In this story it pays to pay close attention to details in the screenshots. In many cases characters will appear in the background (sometimes several times) before they become significant to the story.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    I totally missed it too @SnowBnuuy :blush:
    gen3-banner.png
    edited May 2023
    Chapter 5 is ready.

Main page link

Chapter index link

Ion learns it isn't always easy to adapt.
    SAM-C5-Ion-Chap-Link.jpg
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 774 Member
    Ion's perspective it's always so funny to read!
    I mean, I understand that this contrast between Paladin's orders and Reuben's distress is probably hard to handle for him, but his viewpoint on normal earthlings' stuff is always very refreshing.
    Reuben doesn't seem to be doing particularly well instead, is it about what we saw in the previous chapter or did something else happened in the meanwhile? I'm very curious about this part too...
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.12 posted on the 25th of March 2024*
    @HermioneSims I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Ion kind of reminds me of watching very young children seeing things for the first time that adults take for granted. Everything is so new and strange and fascinating.

Reuben does seem like he might be having a bad day. Or maybe he's just really bad at controlling his temper. Next chapter is his though, so we'll probably find out...
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
    Chapter 5
    Grumpy supernova 😂 Naaaah there’s nothing wrong with being attached to toys, Ion. I still have mine from childhood, too. I’m willing to bet that most people do, at least one or two. Even if they’re just left in an old closet and forgotten.

Haha, he’s still clueless about his constant blabber adding to Maldusk’s grumpiness, I see. Oh, no. Oof. Ow. Poor guy. Poor Reuben, too, he’s being very accepting and probably had a bad day at work, from the looks of it, and Ion's shenanigans might have been the last straw there. I like Ion’s restraint in not trying to read his mind. That probably would have ended badly. He’s trying really hard, the sweet guy.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    Just read new chapter!
    I honestly love the speech bubbles and captions and such in this story, they always make me laugh XD I laughed so much at Paladin's 'battle conditioning gym' as well XD Ion and Grumpy Supernova are so adorable. I really love Ion so much, and I do wonder down the line whether he'll always be the adorable awkward alien, or if he'll attempt to fit in.
    they/them or she/her
    Thanks for reading, and for your comments. They always make me smile. :smiley:

@_sims_Yimi
    Naaaah there’s nothing wrong with being attached to toys, Ion

So true! I still have several. Grumpy Supernova must have been quite special to Ion to get to go on such a long journey together.
    Poor Reuben, too, he’s being very accepting and probably had a bad day at work, from the looks of it, and Ion's shenanigans might have been the last straw there.

Yeah, Reuben's got "had a bad day" written all over him here.
    I like Ion’s restraint in not trying to read his mind. That probably would have ended badly. He’s trying really hard, the sweet guy.

Ion definitely seems eager to get along with humans and adapt to human customs, but struggling to figure out how. Must be especially hard for someone who's used to having a telepathic connection that aids in communication and understanding.

@SnowBnuuy
    I honestly love the speech bubbles and captions and such in this story, they always make me laugh

Thanks! I got about 17 chapters into writing this story when I realized I was imagining it like a comic book, and decided to go back and start over with something more like that approach. It ended up being a lot of work to convert it, because to do all the dialogue as speech balloons I needed a lot more screenshots than I originally took, so a lot of scenes had to be re-staged. But I feel like it was worth it. This style works so well for the story, and I have more fun with it.
    Ion and Grumpy Supernova are so adorable.

:love: They are, aren't they? Ion has some face expressions sometimes that just make me melt. It's those big huge eyes, I think. Like a puppy.
    I really love Ion so much, and I do wonder down the line whether he'll always be the adorable awkward alien, or if he'll attempt to fit in.

I'm so happy you like Ion!
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    edited May 2023
    Chapter 6 is ready!

Main page link

Chapter index link

Reuben makes a mistake.
    SAM-C6-Reuben-Chap-Link.jpg
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    New chapter!!!
    I love that there is a whole site for folks who are willing to give blood...or who are otherwise into that sort of thing I imagine XD I really love the way you talk about Reuben's feelings, and how he always seems to be trying to make peace with himself but it always seems to be just out of his reach. I laughed so much at the 'I can feel the cat watching me' and Paladin is in the BG like OwO ohhhmnoooo Reuben no! That's not gonna look good, esp if they go to the police AND THE DESCRIPTION FITS ONE OF THEIR COLLEAGUES...
    they/them or she/her
    @SnowBnuuy Your comments always make my day!
    I love that there is a whole site for folks who are willing to give blood...or who are otherwise into that sort of thing I imagine XD

Modern day vampires... of course there would be an app for that. :wink: Reuben's pretty with-the-times for a "centuries" old guy.
    I laughed so much at the 'I can feel the cat watching me' and Paladin is in the BG

:joy: Yup! Paladin's got his eye on him. He's Ion's bodyguard after all. That outburst of Reuben's did not win him any points in the "don't get on the security guy's watch list" department.
    That's not gonna look good, esp if they go to the police AND THE DESCRIPTION FITS ONE OF THEIR COLLEAGUES

Indeed. That would be bad... :naughty:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg