Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing with the Grim Reaper hidden trait

Ok so I’m curious about this but also slightly paranoid that I’ll break my game…

Have you ever played with giving your sims the GrimReaper trait using cheats?

Are there any risks that it will cause crashes when spawning Grimmy if more than one sim has the trait, or is it a “there can only be one” kind of deal like the sages?

I like the movement animations and im curious to hear what others have done with this.

Comments

• GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    untotemeditationeyf2q.png

I've had the Grim Reaper as a regular sim in my main save for a long time and nothing bad ever happened. For the most part, he behaves like a regular sim despite obviously looking different, having a deep voice, and some of his needs being frozen. He still kept his job as the NPC that showed up when someone died in another household, except when there was a death in his own household, which caused a different Grim Reaper to appear.

zweisensenmannerf5cgz.png

That new Grim Reaper has been the "official" one ever since, but the old one kept all the other properties that made him special. I haven't played with this family for over a year, so I don't know if the same rules still apply with all the catastrophic patches that have been released since. But you can always make a copy of your save and try it there first if you're unsure.
  • RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    untotemeditationeyf2q.png

I've had the Grim Reaper as a regular sim in my main save for a long time and nothing bad ever happened. For the most part, he behaves like a regular sim despite obviously looking different, having a deep voice, and some of his needs being frozen. He still kept his job as the NPC that showed up when someone died in another household, except when there was a death in his own household, which caused a different Grim Reaper to appear.

zweisensenmannerf5cgz.png

That new Grim Reaper has been the "official" one ever since, but the old one kept all the other properties that made him special. I haven't played with this family for over a year, so I don't know if the same rules still apply with all the catastrophic patches that have been released since. But you can always make a copy of your save and try it there first if you're unsure.

Amazing! Thanks for the info! I love that your Grim is into meditation too :D
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,826 Member
    edited October 2022
    I'm not usually a lawn decorator, but I do wish I could have a life size version of that meditating Grim Reaper for my lawn this Halloween @GrumpyGlowfish
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    Yup. I've actually given a few of my hybrids the Grim Reaper Trait. :p
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Yup. I've actually given a few of my hybrids the Grim Reaper Trait. :p

That sounds really cool! Are they on the gallery?
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    I don't remember which one of my sims has the Grim Reaper or if I still have them in the Gallery. It's been about two years since I made one. However, since Halloween is coming up, I will be making a new Hybrid with the Grim Reaper trait & save it in the Gallery. :p I'll let you know when that's done. Unless I have any problems with any new changes to my game due to the upcoming EA App. I'm still dreading that. :s:'(
    edited October 2022
    Hrmmm I’ve been experimenting and adding Grim to family, removing his special trait, adding the trait to my own Sim, removing my sim from family but the game just spawns a new Grim Reaper when people need reaping.

Edit:
    Turns out I just needed to be patient. My sim replaced Grim Reaper after I changed lots and waited one game day before making him appear. My original Sim must have just been busy elsewhere.
    Post edited by RySBI on
  • TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    I was just thinking a few days ago about making a new monster and putting that trait on him. (I don't remember what I was thinking about making though!) I need to think again about what character I want to float around with black smoke around them.
  • CordeliaBeaufortCordeliaBeaufort Posts: 76 Member
    I have seduced Grim but couldnt dare to even add him on my family because I scared it would break my game. I dont dare those things since I married with Witch Doctor in Sims 2 and it ruined my save.

I downloaded some random Grim Reaper and use him to start family instead of orginal Grim. Its just more safe that way.
  • TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    I've had a character seduce the Reaper, and add him to the family. You need to turn the Grim Reaper trait off him to get a baby, but you can put it back on him later.

He's a great dad.

2wr0bMN.png

• CordeliaBeaufortCordeliaBeaufort Posts: 76 Member
    Tammors wrote: »
    I've had a character seduce the Reaper, and add him to the family. You need to turn the Grim Reaper trait off him to get a baby, but you can put it back on him later.

He's a great dad.

2wr0bMN.png

aww cute pic
    You used only testingcheats and add family I reckon? Once I used that on Night Wraith and that worked fine, but Night Wraith is not an essential character for gameplay anyway so It was less likely to mess something.
    edited October 2022
    I have seduced Grim but couldnt dare to even add him on my family because I scared it would break my game. I dont dare those things since I married with Witch Doctor in Sims 2 and it ruined my save.

I downloaded some random Grim Reaper and use him to start family instead of orginal Grim. Its just more safe that way.

Wise decision! I was worried about this too so I made a separate save file to experiment with and it turns out if you do mess with the original Grim Reaper, the game just loads a clone of him to take on his normal duties so it’s quite safe.

For anyone that wanted to do this though, if you do want to add him to the family then be sure to do testingcheats on followed by traits.remove_trait IsGrimReaper otherwise you’ll have limited interaction options. The downside is he’ll lose his floaty, black smoke movement animation without his special trait. But you’ll be able to marry and have children. You can always add the trait back with traits.equip_trait IsGrimReaper after you’ve had your kids/married if you want to.

Here’s what I replaced my Grim Reaper with:
    GxpW33a.jpg

5JKtz8A.jpg