Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rene Speculation: Art Style, Graphics, and Lighting

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,395 Member
A thread to talk about all things related to art style, graphics, and lighting in Project Rene.

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
Post edited by simmerorigin on

Comments

• simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,395 Member
    I'm curious what art style and lighting Project Rene will end up with? As a side note, I wouldn't read into the prototype we saw in the Sims Summit as confirmation of anything.

We've had the Sims 4 style for a while. In terms of my taste, I liked it at the beginning but I am a visually tired of it. In my opinion, it has a very happy, family-friendly, utopian look to it. I would be very interested in something different.

This art style feels very "Disney." I'd be curious to know if textures like the grass could be improved in Project Rene.
    caFKhb2J8vkFYhobN5YMeV.jpg

I do not think Project Rene will go for something hyperrealistic. Creatively and technically, this does not seem to be a match for the brand. But

In terms of lighting, I think something more contrasty and dramatic would be very interesting. This is what I mean (shown in different art styles for clarity). Note that this light style can still work in games that are cartoony and not hyperrealistic.

yly60z0x1lli.png
    MTS_dDefinder-817613-2.jpg

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    I like the art style and lightning of TS4 because it's muted, hope TS5 will be similar. TS3 had shiny textures and very bright lightning which made the game unplayable for me. Playing inside the houses during daytime was Ok, but at night it was too dark, even with lights on, and outside during daytime everything, even sims, just sort of glowed and reflected light everywhere like they were made of plastic.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I like the art style and lightning of TS4 because it's muted, hope TS5 will be similar. TS3 had shiny textures and very bright lightning which made the game unplayable for me. Playing inside the houses during daytime was Ok, but at night it was too dark, even with lights on, and outside during daytime everything, even sims, just sort of glowed and reflected light everywhere like they were made of plastic.

This is true about TS3
    The power of different post-processing and lighting can completely change the vibe of the game!
    More BoringBones:
    sxw0ukudtdtl.png
    achg5eut50vc.png
    e8g0z6a1l1ov.png
    ey93ecnmlvs3.png

With all of the different visuals we are getting - Paralives, Life By You, and inZOI - what are people feeling in terms of what they want for Project Rene?
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    Many people call TS3 "ugly" but sometimes that game can be so dang beautiful. The indoor lighting can also be atrocious though, but I digress xD I would like a mix of sims 4 indoor lighting and sims 3 outdoor lighting. I saw LBY outdoor lighting and it was really lovely, had a really cozy feel. I remember seeing prototypes for Rene and i will be honest, i kind of liked how that art style looks, at least for the furniture and object textures. Idk about the sims obv since we didn't see a fleshed out version in their prototypes.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i relly do not get it the art is nice but you also need to take note that by the the time the game is officaly realise that what is shown now might have change by then just sharing my toughs as a player of the sims
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    i relly do not get it the art is nice but you also need to take note that by the the time the game is officaly realise that what is shown now might have change by then just sharing my toughs as a player of the sims

I'm not referring to what Project Rene has shown yet. I know it's a work in progress. I'm curious what the targeted "finished product" look of the game will be. Will they follow exactly the same stylized Sims 4 aesthetic? Or push a little bit more towards the realism side of the spectrum, powered by a robust Unreal Engine 5?
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited November 2023
    I wouldn't mind a slight realistic feel. In fact, I prefer it haha. The graphics of TS4 are nice, but I actually prefer TS3 graphics (when they are all set to ultra high, not the pudding pixel mess when it's on low settings :D ) I hope they make a slight change in direction for graphics for Rene compared to TS4. It seems like they might, but who knows. With unreal engine 5 I think it could definitely be a possibility.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I think to compete with other games, it would need to be both very realistic and very beautiful. I could see changing as graphics capabilities change. Honestly in the simulation game category, TS4 still looks very attractive compared to some of what is out there. I say that while agreeing that it's an older game at this point and time will move on. I think Rene would need to offer something new. Maybe they could make options to choose more or less visual realism. They could probably offer different options for the lighting in the game for different players. I could see being able to choose the degree of brightness, warmth or coolness of the colors, and maybe some options for different types of players whether they want a smoggy, dark world or the opposite.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Diamondback7TCDiamondback7TC Posts: 20 Member
    The Sims 5 graphics settings should really make a difference for players, so the various qualities of computers can handle the game. My computer is still superior to extremes over most new computers after being 7 years-old. That's how bad modern computers are.
    So, Sims 5 isn't going to be much higher in graphics than Sims 4. And, yes, my computer handles Sims 4 with ease.
    Modern computers are really bad quality. When I look for a new computer, the only computers equal to my computer cost more than my computer did. And, they're not even better computers after seven years. Even the computers from the same brand are only equal to or inferior to my computer for higher prices.
    So, I don't think Sims 5 is going to be a big improvement in graphics from Sims 4.
    Also, Sims 4 wasn't a big improvement from Sims 3 either. Sims 4 was nothing but Sims 3 with multitasking and without the content for around four-five years straight. The only improvement it had was multitasking.
    Sims 3 has almost everything the earlier years of Sims 4 had to it.
    Sims 4 was a big-time flop for half of it's lifetime, with people preferring Sims 3 all that time for the packs.

Though, Sims 5 looks like it greatly improves upon Sims from 4, so I'm going to jump ship to 5 when it comes out. It is way more realistic in furniture.

I gave a lot of ideas to add to Sims 4... But, I think Sims 5 is soon to be announced. I'm not staff or anything, so if I'm wrong, calm down. But, the way they say the next Behind The Sims is about "the future of Sims 4" sounds to me like Sims 4 is finished, like For Rent is it's very last pack.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    They said they are continued with the games m.With Prpject Renee.
    edited December 2023
    They said they are continued with the games m.With Prpject Renee.

Yes, Project Rene is the next generation of the franchise.

But really what this thread is about is the art style and lighting of the game. While that's correlated with computer graphics capabilities, I wouldn't say they are the same.

Personally, I would be disappointed if they went with the exact same art style as TS4. I'm not visually excited by the same saturated green grasses and blue waters that are so prevalent in the game. However, in the sake of being accessible, I don't think they will go for something like inZOI. My hope is for something still cartoony but with more dramatic/contrasting Unreal Engine 5 lighting and more color variety.
    edited January 3
    Job posting for Technical Artist (Environment). This is definitely encouraging as they are looking for experience with, it seems like, best practice third-party applications and technologies

Unreal Scene Management is notable - it’s important for optimizing open world environments so they run well on a variety of system requirements.

0nct98tc3oy8.jpeg
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Scary looking list. Can't imagine anyone on the planet having all that. A team of them might, but only one?
  • Rob1992Rob1992 Posts: 51 Member
    Scary looking list. Can't imagine anyone on the planet having all that. A team of them might, but only one?

It's not uncommon for programmers to know multiple languages. Although this does read a little bit like they want to get someone they can overwork to the bone from the start. Because why hire a team when you can make one person crunch for 60 hours a week for months because they can do it themselves. Could it be that the sims team just has no clue how unreal works so they took the feature list and posted it as requirements?
    edited January 9
    This style has worked for the Sims 4. It has elements of mobile game vibrancy and cartoony art, given Project Olympus origins.

Now, I’m excited for a reset and the possibilities of something different with Rene. A repeat of this would be a miss IMO.

z1d40mni03f0.jpeg
  • passionfruitpassionfruit Posts: 171 Member
    Honestly, I'd prefer TS4 style graphics over anything else.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I do like the Sims 4 style, but there are areas that I would like to see them take a few steps towards realism. Not all the way, as one of the advantages of a toon style is that the deaths seem more goofy than disturbing (though some of them are both...) which makes gameplay less traumatic... or encourages a certain level of Sims Sociopathy... or perhaps a bit of both, take your pick. :wink:

But I'd like to see more details in the hair (and maybe transparency painted, rather than clay), eyelashes rather than a solid block, more detailing in the clothes, etc. Someone a few year's back posted a picture of Victoria 4 from Daz Studio as a hypothetical "Next generation" of the Sims, and while not neccisarily Victoria 4, something that was a combo of Aiko/The Girl 4 (I don't have any of my Gen 4 stuff installed anymore, so I can't show what I'm talking about) in general style would be good. I'd still want the skins to be relatively clean, with hair and details being an overlay rather than on the base texture.

And then, of course, that be carried over into the environment.

Lighting... that's a hard call. I still find Life By You's lighting a little harsh for me, but it's also realistically harsh - about what I'd expect on a cloudless summer day while I was down visiting family that live further south than I do. It's just a level of lighting I don't like. But I get what Simmerorigin is saying about Sims 4 lighting being too ... Utopian. Maybe a little cooler, a little less Sitcom and a little more Drama style lighting would be a nice change.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited January 9
    I don’t mind if the art style stays the same for Sims ‘Rene’.

My list presently which is deciding whether I get it or not is;

1) DLC must be done differently. I build more than use CAS so my views will reflect this.

I think Game Packs should be the main pack, quality over quantity. $20/£20 is a good price. I think the game packs have generally hit better.
    A set theme so you can decide if you want to add it or not. Stuff Packs continue with kits being phased out.

Currently TS4 packs are not balanced in build mode. Most packs come with beds, sofas and chairs. Yet there are few carpets and lino choices.
    Oasis Courtyard Kit is great but there’s nothing else Moroccan so it’s a bit odd.
    The Industrial Loft Kit only had one window and not much else in the kit to define a loft space. I didn’t understand why a living room and bedroom set were needed. More large windows, doors, radiators, more piping and some different brick and concrete wallpaper and flooring would have been more welcome.

We need more small statues and items to differentiate homes. Plants are more represented, even if you don’t get the Blooming Room Kit there’s still plenty of plants 🪴in other packs to add.

2) Worlds should be larger with at least one established neighbourhood. One zone empty for players who want to start thier own stories. Each world should have 12-15 lots minimum.

3) In regards to lighting I would like an option to control the brightness of the sun 🌞 in each world. I agree if you visit a different place the light should reflect it.

4) I would like Sims to be able to own little pieces like glasses, a favourite cup and they get mad if another Sim uses it.

I would also like the animation of Sims using house keys to enter thier home and putting them in a bowl by the door. More little realistic nods would be more immersive.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I wouldn't mind staying with the TS4 art style.
    But with more detailed meshes and textures, and also get rid of the doll house esthetic. Everything is so thick and blocky in The Sims 4.
    It should be a mixture of thick and thin elements.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Roughly mid-way between the current cartoony and realish. Real enough to be taking advantage of the improvements in graphics technology, cartoony enough to stay light-hearted and fun. The 'sims' of in/enzoi are too close to looking like real people.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    I personally like TS4 style. The cartoon-look has aged well IMO. Maybe they can add more details on the sims themselves. Higher quality models etc, but the overall look of TS4 is just great and colorful.
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,374 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind staying with the TS4 art style.
    But with more detailed meshes and textures, and also get rid of the doll house esthetic. Everything is so thick and blocky in The Sims 4.
    It should be a mixture of thick and thin elements.

Yeah, this is how I feel too. I still like the open world of 3, the interactions and behavior of ts2 and the way ts4 can multi task. I think a more refined art style would be ideal.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8