February 3rd- It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

New EA App

Comments

  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,126 Member
    I'm bailing on the EA app since it's not working for me. I reinstalled Origin, it will open and I can get back into my game library again.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,073 Member
    @Catzilla unfortunately you'll have no choice but to use the EA App by the end of the year when they close down Origin.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,126 Member
    Starfree wrote: »
    @Catzilla unfortunately you'll have no choice but to use the EA App by the end of the year when they close down Origin.

    Yes, eventually there will be no alternative. Hopefully they'll get the issues ironed out of the EA app soon. For now though I'll use the Origin app and save myself some grief.
  • userafwuserafw Posts: 34 Member
    shorty943p wrote: »
    As the title says. at start Origin is pushing the new EA App.

    Has anybody installed it and how bad is it?

    Does it totally replace Origin and can we use it the same way, or have they "messed" with us again?

    Unfortunately they now disabled Origin to force everyone to use the EA app instead. But the EA app is missing several features Origin had… it cannot use command line arguments for compatibility. It cannot repair game. And it does not play nicely with older games. Not to mention, if EA refuses to continue to support and distribute a game, this is the very definition of abandonware. Off topic… there are a lot of Commodore and Atari 8 bit games in that category that can be played with emulators.
  • userafwuserafw Posts: 34 Member
    shorty943p wrote: »
    OK, thanks all.

    Now, where do I find a way to disable yet another unwanted "friendly reminder" from EA.
    This 🤔🤔🤔🤔 thing is annoying me.

    Talk about nagware….

  • userafwuserafw Posts: 34 Member
    HimRumi wrote: »
    For some reason when i’m offline and launch the Sims 3 launcher my expansion packs don’t show up. I’m so confused on what to do..

    Unfortunately the final update to Sims 3 turns off ALL the EPs off by default. You have to reenable them in the Sims 3 launcher, EVERYTIME you play. They should have done that one year in with a setting to remember preferences. Instead they did it at the end after more people got newer computers that could run all the packs.

  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,268 Member
    i had the beta version but didn't like it. decided to get the app when they annonced it was out of beta though i'm the least techy person on the planet but no issues everything shows up
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 3,849 Member
    edited October 2022
    userafw wrote: »
    shorty943p wrote: »
    As the title says. at start Origin is pushing the new EA App.

    Has anybody installed it and how bad is it?

    Does it totally replace Origin and can we use it the same way, or have they "messed" with us again?

    Unfortunately they now disabled Origin to force everyone to use the EA app instead. But the EA app is missing several features Origin had… it cannot use command line arguments for compatibility. It cannot repair game. And it does not play nicely with older games. Not to mention, if EA refuses to continue to support and distribute a game, this is the very definition of abandonware. Off topic… there are a lot of Commodore and Atari 8 bit games in that category that can be played with emulators.

    Actually you can repair game with app and there is a place for command lines but I don't know which ones you can use there.

    MyoWRUZ.png

    1id6LSt.png

    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg
  • lori171957lori171957 Posts: 189 Member
    I did not hurry into choosing the EA app. In fact, this has been a bad year for Sims 4 on my computer.
    To start with it just kept crashing and freezing, after trying every remedy known and getting some good advice from players, I finally got it to a stage where I could play it as long as I kept the graphics low. Then when another update or kit came, I would have to go through it again.

    I decided it was time for my old computer to go and I would get a new one.

    I installed Origin which promptly told me it was being phased out. Then I tried installing all my games, no luck with Cottage living so I decided to go ahead and install the EA app which uninstalled Origin.

    The Ea app will not download Cottage Living either, so I asked EA Help to HELP. They stated they are aware of the problem and will get around to it asap. My opinion is they should refund my money or give me my game today.

    Anyhow I decided to play other games while I wait, Need for Speed "Heat" promptly asked me to install Origin as it was needed to play, I can't wait to see what happens when Origin is scrapped.

    All of my Steam games play perfectly, and I am very happy with the new computer. In fact, I have bought a lot of new games on Steam and don't play Sims much now. I can't add my old saves as they had a lot of Cottage Living content in them and I don't want to change them all.

    After watching the Rene Project, not sure I will be buying that either. I have spent more time this year trying to get Sims working than I have playing it.
    I love building houses, and I check every day to see if it is fixed, but I have other games to play now, and a really great computer.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 6,904 Member
    edited October 2022
    Still using Origin myself
    just worried the new app is not gonna work or that I lose things when I switch to it

    i don't like how they are forcing the switch to new app with getting rid of origin all together

    also like don't you say " your games will be safe" when i have yet to this day been able to access some of my games in origin because it keeps thinking i used the codes because obviously my games before origin are physical copies ive installed quite many times indeed
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 3,303 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    userafw wrote: »
    shorty943p wrote: »
    As the title says. at start Origin is pushing the new EA App.

    Has anybody installed it and how bad is it?

    Does it totally replace Origin and can we use it the same way, or have they "messed" with us again?

    Unfortunately they now disabled Origin to force everyone to use the EA app instead. But the EA app is missing several features Origin had… it cannot use command line arguments for compatibility. It cannot repair game. And it does not play nicely with older games. Not to mention, if EA refuses to continue to support and distribute a game, this is the very definition of abandonware. Off topic… there are a lot of Commodore and Atari 8 bit games in that category that can be played with emulators.

    Actually you can repair game with app and there is a place for command lines but I don't know which ones you can use there.

    MyoWRUZ.png

    1id6LSt.png

    Thanks for the screenshots. Does the advanced launch options field accept the code to disable packs?
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 3,849 Member
    @Atreya33 Sorry I don't know about disable packs. I thought I saw someone on the forums say yes but not positive. If i find that thread I will link you.

    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,274 Member
    So when you play offline in sims 3 and 4 it disables all packs ?!
  • AjaGioAjaGio Posts: 260 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »
    I'm bailing on the EA app since it's not working for me. I reinstalled Origin, it will open and I can get back into my game library again.

    Same for me, it will play my Sims Medieval, Castaways and such but it fails to launch Sims 4 :( and won't load all my Sims 3 games. I had to reinstall Origin. Now I'm waiting for the games to reload :# I just want to finish my scenario in Sims 4!!!
  • AjaGioAjaGio Posts: 260 Member
    My poor Sims are missing me!!!! I can feel it :'( I hate waiting for games to reload!!! Darn it EA !!! please fix the bugs on loading and launching. I tried the repair game and app. and I get No change. If there is a solution, please let everyone know.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    For those who say they plan not to use the new EA app, how does that work? It's not going to be a choice much longer. Do you mean you're going to download Origin and the games you play on it and stick them on a computer that you keep offline always, just to play legacy Origin games on? Is that even possible now?

    I am wondering what if anything I can do to preserve my ability to play all the Sims3 worlds and nearly the whole Sims3 Store that I have in dlc that I'm afraid will evaporate without a trace once there is no more origin, from what people are saying about how bad it is with soms3 and with store content in particular.

    I poured more money into sims3 and store content and worlds like Midnight Hollow and Sunlit Tides than I like to admit to.

    There has to be way that money spent on a single game, amounting to more than a cheap laptop costs these days, should not simply be forfeit when it was paid in good faith.
    🤨
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 6,197 Member
    Now that I finally got the EA App on October 18th. I've been playing around with it just to try to learn it. Unfortunately, I still can't find out how to update my Sims 4. :'( However, my daughter says that it might just automatically update itself. She's usually right about these things. :) She was so right about me finally getting the EA App on release day. ;)
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 3,849 Member
    edited October 2022
    I did not have 3 still on Origin when I switched to the app so I had to reinstall Origin to get it again as it would not install everything on the App.. However it transferred over with no problem except for Fast Lane. I have the disc so may try to install it that way.

    Previously even Origin wouldn't let me download and install and so this is just recent that it worked again. Its been a journey . LOL

    However my other games work fine on the app and transferred over with no problems. Including sims 4, castaway and my Sims2 collection. Hopefully everyone will have their games sorted out soon.

    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,643 Member
    I was having spotty internet connection yesterday so I learned that if not connected to the internet when the game loads, the EA app will only recognize the few packs I installed through the app and not those I installed through Origin. This happened even after a repair of my game through the EA app that appeared to run through all the content.
    However once I was able to load the game with the internet connected, the game continued to play all my packs just fine when the connection went out during play.
    I finally figured out how to use the app in offline mode. Since I logged in to the app online and then switched it to offline mode it had all my packs when the game loaded. Apparently it's just when the EA app opens offline, such as if I try to start the game from the Sims4 icon on my desktop rather than the app while my internet is down, that it doesn't recognize my packs.
    My biggest problem is that so many options, like offline mode and repair game, are harder to find than they were on Origin.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,126 Member
    I tested the EA app out again today and it still will not open at all. It worked the first few days I had it but then it stopped. I changed nothing on my end. I hear crickets from EA so there we are, I'm using Origin until I can't or the EA app gets fixed. Or I'll see about transferring everything over to Steam, if possible.
    This is a huge flaw in requiring a game launcher to play games, if the launcher is borked you have no access to the games you've purchased. Also, I do not feel I should have to work hard trying to research solutions or troubleshoot launcher problems, the launcher needs to work reliably and easily since they are required for access.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »
    I tested the EA app out again today and it still will not open at all. It worked the first few days I had it but then it stopped. I changed nothing on my end. I hear crickets from EA so there we are, I'm using Origin until I can't or the EA app gets fixed. Or I'll see about transferring everything over to Steam, if possible.
    This is a huge flaw in requiring a game launcher to play games, if the launcher is borked you have no access to the games you've purchased. Also, I do not feel I should have to work hard trying to research solutions or troubleshoot launcher problems, the launcher needs to work reliably and easily since they are required for access.

    Don't you have to just repurchase everything on steam though if you want to use that instead? And what about if you have store content for sims3, can't just switch it over to a steam account, right?
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 14,031 Member
    edited October 2022
    @Atreya33 wrote: »
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    userafw wrote: »
    shorty943p wrote: »
    As the title says. at start Origin is pushing the new EA App.

    Has anybody installed it and how bad is it?

    Does it totally replace Origin and can we use it the same way, or have they "messed" with us again?

    Unfortunately they now disabled Origin to force everyone to use the EA app instead. But the EA app is missing several features Origin had… it cannot use command line arguments for compatibility. It cannot repair game. And it does not play nicely with older games. Not to mention, if EA refuses to continue to support and distribute a game, this is the very definition of abandonware. Off topic… there are a lot of Commodore and Atari 8 bit games in that category that can be played with emulators.

    Actually you can repair game with app and there is a place for command lines but I don't know which ones you can use there.

    MyoWRUZ.png

    1id6LSt.png

    Thanks for the screenshots. Does the advanced launch options field accept the code to disable packs?


    Don't forget to skip intro with -nointro argument
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited October 2022
    Don't you have to just repurchase everything on steam though if you want to use that instead? And what about if you have store content for sims3, can't just switch it over to a steam account, right?

    @ignominiusrex You should Not have to repurchase anything, you should be able to bring your games over if you have the game serial number or you can link your Origin account to your Steam acct directly. I switched some things over to Origin from Steam a few years back and it worked just fine. With the Sims games I had to provide Origin the long number for each pack before they would acknowledge that I did indeed own the content. I have also had games I bought elsewhere added to Steam as well and that worked. Google knows how to do all of this. I'm not sure how it works with Sims 3 store content but your Origin account will know what you own. Which brings me to the following part.
    Know this: If you bring your Sims 4 game to Steam you will still automatically launch the Origin launcher to play your Sims 4 game but you may be able to bypass a problematic EA app for now. Frex: If you have ever played Fallout 3 or 4 on steam when you press Play it opens a Fallout launcher to play the game. It should work the same way.

    ETA: Since the Sims 4 base game is now free to play you can get that on steam for free and test drive how it opens, if it works, if it allows you access to your Origin account if you've lost access to it after switching to the EA app.
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited October 2022
    My Experience with the EA App as a PC user
    The EA app at present is subpar compared to Origin. I never had any issues using Origin.

    Here is my experience using the EA app before uninstalling it, then searching for and re-downloading Origin because I could not get the EA app to repair the game. And yes, I know where all the features and settings are within the EA app.
    1. EA App automatically updated my game although in settings I have this feature turned off.
    2. EA App has crashed my game many times.
    3. EA App game repair is hit and miss at best. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work. Or, perhaps I'm repairing the game for nothing because the issues are related to the EA App.
    4. Sometimes you have to sign into the App more than once to get the App to open because it will crash.
    5. Playing off line is hit and miss. Sometimes it will not load any of your games because you are off-line and then you have to try again.

    Today is October 24, 2022 and thank goodness I was able to find Origin on the net and be able to download it again. Hoping they fix the EA app before they require everyone to use it because from my experience it has not consistently worked to-date.
    Post edited by Hearts4u on
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top