Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Rene?šŸ¤”

This might be an unpopular opinion, but 'Project Rene' should just be an update to the sims 4šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
With Project Rene, it feels like EA is just piggybacking off Paralives, which is why I think they announced it so early, knocking out the competition before it even has a chance.
Don't get me wrong though, I'm excited about Project Rene. It's just something that EA should have already incorporated into the sims.
I just hope they don't butcher this project like they did the sims 4.
šŸ«°šŸ»

Comments

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    all i can say is only time will say so at the moment will be on watch for new info
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • OceancatOceancat Posts: 21 Member
    Personally I don't think the Sims 4 engine can support many more features. Every time something new is added more and more bugs pop up and never seem to be fully fixed before the next update. If it continues like this it will be unplayable for many simmers. For that reason I am hoping that Project Rene is its own game, but I agree that it does seem heavily inspired by paralives and I'm not super hopeful about it.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited October 2022
    Well not to play devil's advocate, but EA/Maxis had a Color Wheel and Re-colorable Patterns in TS3, so it's not like this is a new concept for them on those features.

I'm super happy those abilities are being brought back!

Also, Paralives has "push/pull" options to resize things, I'm not sure that's what EA/Maxis is going for (unless I didn't see that part). What I saw was them choosing the size of the mattress then a headboard and footboard to fit that mattress size .... not pushing/pulling it to resize it. It will probably work similar to how TS4 counters work where there's many object meshes you can choose from within one object.

And I personally prefer the way EA/Maxis is doing it, because with the way Paralives is going to do it, the texture will be squished or stretched when resizing. With how they are planning on doing in this next version of Sims, the textures will all be uniform depending on what size mattress you choose. No distorted textures that way.

So to me personally I don't feel like they're "copying" Paralives because some of these things were already implemented in a similar type fashion in various Sims Games.

Now, what I do think is it's possible that they have taken feedback on what the Paralives Fans have ooooh'd and ahhhh'd over for that game and made sure that they also offer similar capabilities in the next Sims game.

• Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    To be fair, if a project revolving around the idea of renewal and rebirth is anything but improvements for the Sims 4ā€¦ Iā€™ll be even more angry about the announcement.
  • jellybelly_3jellybelly_3 Posts: 75 Member
    Well not to play devil's advocate, but EA/Maxis had a Color Wheel and Re-colorable Patterns in TS3, so it's not like this is a new concept for them on those features.

I'm super happy those abilities are being brought back!

Also, Paralives has "push/pull" options to resize things, I'm not sure that's what EA/Maxis is going for (unless I didn't see that part). What I saw was them choosing the size of the mattress then a headboard and footboard to fit that mattress size .... not pushing/pulling it to resize it. It will probably work similar to how TS4 counters work where there's many object meshes you can choose from within one object.

And I personally prefer the way EA/Maxis is doing it, because with the way Paralives is going to do it, the texture will be squished or stretched when resizing. With how they are planning on doing in this next version of Sims, the textures will all be uniform depending on what size mattress you choose. No distorted textures that way.

So to me personally I don't feel like they're "copying" Paralives because some of these things were already implemented in a similar type fashion in various Sims Games.

Now, what I do think is it's possible that they have taken feedback on what the Paralives Fans have ooooh'd and ahhhh'd over for that game and made sure that they also offer similar capabilities in the next Sims game.

I think you're missing the point or I didn't explain it well. Obviously, the sims had a color wheel in the past and the mechanics to resize and customize objects are different compared to Paralives, but why do it now?

Simmers have been begging for these things for years, so why are they just now deciding to do it or evening announce it? As they said during the summit, they don't usually release early footage, so why do it now? The Sims have competition now, yes (and I'm not only referring to Paralives), but it shouldn't have taken another simulation game(s) to come along for EA to start implementing overdue features.

I just think this "feedback" is just EA seeing a main feature on another's game then running with it and making it their whole shtick, which is why I think it's especially a jab at Paralives because why show footage of object resizing and customization, knowing that that's one of the main things about Paralives that many were excited for? Why not showcase something else? Something new that other simulation games just don't have?

And I get it, they got inspiration from Paralives yada yada, but this small developer team took the time to listen and interact with their community, incorporating the input of their whole community, not just certain people's input, into the game since it's their community as a whole that is going to make the game what it is, so don't take away from small creators before they even have a chance.
    @jellybelly_3 Thatā€™s another thing that made me incredibly angryā€¦ the update was a middle finger to existing playersā€¦

Merfolk are the only feature of the sims that helps the game stand out because of how extremely rare they are as playable characters in games.

90% of games include ONLY mermaids and exclude the male counterpart, mermen.

The Sims is one of the few that actually do merfolk, as in the collective term for mermen and mermaids.

The second a better option comes out, I might jump ship after this announcement. Iā€™m currently looking for options.

Instead of developing on anything that might be unique about the sims and attract people looking for specific content unique to the simsā€¦ They are jumping into the rabbit hole of trying to compete with competitors that donā€™t do everything they do.

As far as I know, paralives wonā€™t get my business because they donā€™t have merfolk. At the same time, The Sims devs are burning their bridge with occult players like a flaming infernoā€¦

Their restrictions on occult gameplay and no news of anything improving is fuel for my burning anger.

Iā€™ve waited years for them to fix things with merfolk! Iā€™m running out of patience!
  • jellybelly_3jellybelly_3 Posts: 75 Member
    @jellybelly_3 Thatā€™s another thing that made me incredibly angryā€¦ the update was a middle finger to existing playersā€¦

Merfolk are the only feature of the sims that helps the game stand out because of how extremely rare they are as playable characters in games.

The Sims is one of the few that actually do merfolk, as in the collective term for mermen and mermaids.

The second a better option comes out, I might jump ship after this announcement. Iā€™m currently looking for options.

Instead of developing on anything that might be unique about the sims and attract people looking for specific content unique to the simsā€¦ They are jumping into the rabbit hole of trying to compete with competitors that donā€™t do everything they do.

As far as I know, paralives wonā€™t get my business because they donā€™t have merfolk. At the same time, The Sims devs are burning their bridge with occult players like a flaming infernoā€¦

Their restrictions on occult gameplay and no news of anything improving is fuel for my burning anger.

Iā€™ve waited years for them to fix things with merfolk! Iā€™m running out of patience!

I see where you're coming from. I love everything supernational! When the Sims 3 came out with that supernatural pack, I was obsessed. With the Sims 4, EA isn't giving much love to anything unnatural. (I made a whole discussion about itšŸ˜… check it out!)

As for Paralives, they are still in early development and plan to incorporate the supernatural in their game, but just later on after release. Another cool thing about Paralives is that even after release, they plan to continuously add cool updates to the base game. For example, only cats, dogs, horses, and birds I think will be in the base game, but as time goes on, they plan to add more animals to the base game with an update, so it'll be free... unlike the Sims. It's just little things like that I like. Even in the Paralives base game, they plan to automatically have the weather changing upon release!!!!

There are a lot of cool things about Paralives and I hope that you at least watch a couple of gameplays on Paralives once it is released to get a final decision.

Back to the sims; I am looking forward to seeing their progression with Project Rene, and I'm excited about the mod library, that's something that we all need.
    edited October 2022
    @jellybelly_3 Iā€™ll definitely look into Paralives.

I expected certain things for the Sims 4 Island Living BECAUSE they had those features in the Sims 3.

Iā€™ve waited patiently for years to see something meaningful done with merfolk now that they seem to understand how to do occults well.

They have rolled out multiple major updates with little to no improvements for Island Livingā€¦

This Summitā€™s Announcement felt like a slap in the face.

I actually bought every single pack with the exception of some kits at FULL price. I didnā€™t wait for a sale. I genuinely had hope that they would do something, ANYTHING, to put some life into merfolk gameplay and there has been nothingā€¦ NOTHING that I consider meaningfulā€¦

The most recent update for merfolk is how Lunar Phases affect Hydration, but merfolk abilities are so poorly done and so heavy in the Siren Romance that I almost never use the abilities they do have enough for the lunar phase to matter!

For watcherā€™s sake, the forever fresh trait makes the hydration trait obsolete because it makes it so my merfolk can use their abilities where ever they wantā€¦ it is not meaningful to have lunar cycles affect their hydration because there are reward traits that completely nullify the needā€™s limitations!
    edited October 2022
    Iā€™m tiredā€¦ Iā€™m tired of supporting a game that has done so little for the core reason I got it in the first placeā€¦

If they are moving onto a Sims 5 and leaving the Sims 4 as it is without any clear road map for refreshesā€¦ Iā€™m finding another game to play.

Thatā€™s what the Summit told meā€¦ leading up to the Summit they never did a single refresh, they sat on the growing hype for a new gameā€¦ for watcherā€™s sake, their last major update literally broke peopleā€™s saves. It almost broke mineā€¦

What they are actually doing compared to what they are saying are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things.
    Also, one of the FEATURES of Island Living that was exclusive to Island Living was the OFF THE GRID lot trait that became a Lot Challengeā€¦

That trait and ALL the Island Living build mode items have been moved to base game WITHOUT ANY REPLACEMENTS!
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I don't really get the complaints that The Sims 5 is copying Paralives. It's very possible that the developers are looking to Paralives as a source of inspiration yes, but frankly, push and pull mechanics for customization are increasingly common in games focused on customization, and it's really about time The Sims 5 has an in-game mesh manipulator of its own (Spore had a system like this all the way back for starters). Paralives didn't patent user friendly 3D manipulation tools, if the tool UI they developed is convenient, easy-to-understand, and is completely functional for the general player, why not take inspiration from it rather than attempting to reinvent the wheel.

In addition, the bare minimum UI that could also inspire the similarities between both games isn't a priority at this stage of development. What's important to the developers is that the game is functional first and foremost. Frankly, both Paralives and Project Rene has minimalist UI since both of them are very early in development because that type of polish and helping give your game an identity is the last thing that happens.

The Sims 4 engine is also ancient. Old. We're talking about "it used to support 32 bit systems" old. We could use a new game that runs on a more modern engine at this point, like support PBR shading in our models for one. In fact, one of the reasons Sims 4 has a messy code was because it was hastily screwed around with when SimCity launched as a disaster.

I don't think EA even views Paralives as a serious competition at all, and I don't think even seriously considered it when they released footage for Project Rene. It's not really in the public mind, while the Sims still practically prints money (evident by EA still supporting an 8 year old game when it could have pulled the plug on it if it didn't sell well).
    A1hnP0t.png
    In Reality, the Eco Living Expansion Pack expands on the Gameplay introduced with ISLAND LIVING! The OFF THE GRID gameplay is not something introduced with Eco Living.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,396 Member
    edited October 2022
    I don't think EA even views Paralives as a serious competition at all, and I don't think even seriously considered it when they released footage for Project Rene. It's not really in the public mind, while the Sims still practically prints money (evident by EA still supporting an 8 year old game when it could have pulled the plug on it if it didn't sell well).

I'm not sure this take is supported by what I see.

We know the Sims developers are curious and watchful of Paralives at the very least. Some follow the Paralives devs and account on Twitter and are aware of the brainstorming discord. Also, the amount of Patreon money a no-name Canadian dev has raised monthly is incredibly impressive. This is almost exclusively from people who are Simmers/ex-Simmers...the discord is full of them.

Second, the decision to release a working prototype (not even alpha) is extremely unusual for EA. I can't stress that enough. You have to ask yourself why this happened.

Think about all of the public feedback surveys that the Sims team has sent out. I wonder about a lukewarm or perhaps negative sentiment, particularly during key moments like the My Wedding Stories fiasco.

Unfairly, Paralives is being seen as the "answer to everything wrong or dissatisfying about the Sims 4" because it is the closest thing Simmers have to a potential substitute. Perhaps the Sims team felt it was appropriate at this time to boost morale within the Sims franchise.

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but 'Project Rene' should just be an update to the sims 4šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
    With Project Rene, it feels like EA is just piggybacking off Paralives, which is why I think they announced it so early, knocking out the competition before it even has a chance.
    Don't get me wrong though, I'm excited about Project Rene. It's just something that EA should have already incorporated into the sims.
    I just hope they don't butcher this project like they did the sims 4.
    šŸ«°šŸ»

I feel like EA doesn't need to reinvent the wheel with TS5, just perfect it. Fix the issues in TS4, improve the AI, and move it to a better engine with better physics. I'mm not tech savvy so what I proposed may be impossible, but it kind of explains how little they really need to do with TS5to make it good. One of my early worries when I first encountered talk about TS5 was they were going to radically change the game in ways that make it unrecognizable. I don't have that same level of worry after the summit, but it is still early. And as we saw with TS4 there is a history in this franchise of major 11th hour changes. They tried to go multiplayer and got backlash if I remember correctly. They still want multiplayer but they're going to try to lure us holdouts to the dark side with TS5, hence the either or option. The next iteration after 5, if there is one, will be where they hope they can go entirely multiplayer. Unless, like TS4 there is a last second change where they say no we are going total multiplayer now and if you don't want to play that way goodbye. That wouldn't go over well and I don't feel like the either or option is going to change many minds.

The Sims is almost of the last of its kind, a name brand game that is totally single player. Everything else is either entirely multiplayer or both. I can't think of another off the top of my head, but I haven't really played anything except The Sims since 2015 or so. I have played some little time wasters like Plants vs. Zombies but its pretty much Sims or nothing for me. I am interested in Dreamlight Valley but it won't be out for Macs for awhile yet. I've read estimates of anywhere from this December all the way to late 2023. Paralives is still early in its development so there is time for it to grow on me, but if it came out now I wouldn't have any interest in it. I think with DV its the fact that the characters look a bit like polished TS4 sims that attracts me. TS4 sims are the graphics yard stick that I judge all life sims by, unpopular as that opinion may be.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Project: Rene will be much more superior than Paralives and will outsell it by the billions on Day 1. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,396 Member
    edited October 2022
    Project: Rene will be much more superior than Paralives and will outsell it by the billions on Day 1. o:)

I prefer to view it not as a competition.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member

I see where you're coming from. I love everything supernational! When the Sims 3 came out with that supernatural pack, I was obsessed. With the Sims 4, EA isn't giving much love to anything unnatural. (I made a whole discussion about itšŸ˜… check it out!)

As for Paralives, they are still in early development and plan to incorporate the supernatural in their game, but just later on after release. Another cool thing about Paralives is that even after release, they plan to continuously add cool updates to the base game. For example, only cats, dogs, horses, and birds I think will be in the base game, but as time goes on, they plan to add more animals to the base game with an update, so it'll be free... unlike the Sims. It's just little things like that I like. Even in the Paralives base game, they plan to automatically have the weather changing upon release!!!!

There are a lot of cool things about Paralives and I hope that you at least watch a couple of gameplays on Paralives once it is released to get a final decision.

Back to the sims; I am looking forward to seeing their progression with Project Rene, and I'm excited about the mod library, that's something that we all need.

birds aren't planned for the base game, but the other things (cats, dogs, horses)
    6adMCGP.gif