Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited September 2022
    Will Wright was the creator and Rod Humble was a follower.

Decades later, both did nothing amazing after The Sims.

I think this is sort of missing the point on their background and what the potential is for the game. Read the comment above mine.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    It might be a while before we see a game from them.
    First they had to assemble the studio, getting all the people, deciding on what they will create, creating all the tools needed, and then building the game. They might even want to wait until TS5 is revealed to see what they are competing against. Probably 2025 or longer.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    I'm not interested in either of these.

The first one, Paralives, has been "rumored" for a very long time. It's gotten for me to the point where they either need to "poo" or get off the pot. I have been thinking for a long time that it's a scam to get Patreon money. Sorry but that's how I feel.

The second one, by this Humble character who had something to do with Second Life? HARD PASS. I have ZERO desire to play anything that even remotely looks like Second Life and I don't see him creating anything different.

But that's just me, I have OCD and I'm resistant to change. So whatever, lol.

I wish I could get TS3 to play on my computer. My beast is too advanced for it or something. I also have zero interest in an online TS5. So, TS4 is the end of the road for me and I'm very salty about that possibility.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

The first one, Paralives, has been "rumored" for a very long time. It's gotten for me to the point where they either need to "poo" or get off the pot. I have been thinking for a long time that it's a scam to get Patreon money. Sorry but that's how I feel.

The second one, by this Humble character who had something to do with Second Life? HARD PASS. I have ZERO desire to play anything that even remotely looks like Second Life and I don't see him creating anything different.

But that's just me, I have OCD and I'm resistant to change. So whatever, lol.

I wish I could get TS3 to play on my computer. My beast is too advanced for it or something. I also have zero interest in an online TS5. So, TS4 is the end of the road for me and I'm very salty about that possibility.

Para lives is not a scam.Its an indie game, by a small team.They update on their channel often.Showing there progress there now working on live mode.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    edited September 2022

Games take a long time to make. Most AAA games aren't even announced to the public until years into their development cycle, creating a false impression they got made very quickly. Indie games have to announce sooner to get funding. There are reasons to be wary of Paralives but it's not a scam.

Why don't you see him creating anything different? You don't even appear to know who he is, and yet use such confidence about whether he can create something that looks "different" from SecondLife.

Rod Humble didn't create SecondLife. SL had already been running for over a decade when he took over as CEO. He just managed it for a few years from like 2014-2017 (ish? I'm not gonna google right now). It certainly adds to his resume for certain aspects of life sim games, but there's not much about it that would reflect on his design sensibilities, since he didn't design the game. He just successfully managed it for a while.

If you think TS3 looks interesting at all, I'd say that's a reason for you to at least not dismiss Paradox Tectonic's game out of hand. TS3 is the best example we have of Rod Humble's life sim design priorities, after all. Rod Humble did create The Sims 3, and managed it for its entire run.

It seems weird to pick now, of all times, to be salty about the future of life sim games, when the upcoming market is bigger and more varied than the genre has ever seen.

IDK, you just seemed predisposed to believe the worst about stuff that doesn't even exist yet. TS4 is already "online" and people don't seem to mind, and we don't know that TS5 online features will be any more or less invasive. Paralives is a passion project by hardcore Sims fans who really want to make a game they love. And Tectonic's game is being led by industry veterans with an unprecedented amount of freedom. To decide this early that they will all be failures feels intentionally pessimistic for no reason.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

IDK, you just seemed predisposed to believe the worst about stuff that doesn't even exist yet. TS4 is already "online" and people don't seem to mind, and we don't know that TS5 online features will be any more or less invasive. Paralives is a passion project by hardcore Sims fans who really want to make a game they love. And Tectonic's game is being led by industry veterans with an unprecedented amount of freedom. To decide this early that they will all be failures feels intentionally pessimistic for no reason.

And yet people are allowed to dismiss TS5 out of hand while I can't do the same with the unknown?

How would you know what I'm predisposed towards based off one single post?

I'm hardly a pessimist. I just am not a fangirl rah rahing something that's not even close to completion.

And yet people are allowed to dismiss TS5 out of hand while I can't do the same with the unknown?

How would you know what I'm predisposed towards based off one single post?

I'm hardly a pessimist. I just am not a fangirl rah rahing something that's not even close to completion.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as accusatory, though I can definitely see now that it reads that way.

I actually defended TS5 from dismissal. I think a fair amount of suspicion of EA's business practices is earned at this point, but that doesn't mean the game will be bad, and people are pretending to know things about it that we just do not know (like thinking it will be an mmo or multiplayer based on the vaguest of statements from a man working the business side of things who isn't actually one of the people making the game).

All three of the games coming out could be huge disappointments. I just like investigating things I'm interested in (like sim games) in detail, because I find the research itself fun. And because I feel like with time it helps me get better at spotting what potentially exciting or disappointing news will pan out. So it caught me off guard to see what felt like (to me) such an easy dismissal with so little information, because that runs very counter to how I engage with anything. I'm always looking for the data like a treasure hunter, hoping to find something good while prepared to find something bad. I'm unlikely to comment at all if I don't think something is exciting or interesting, because I think "who cares if I don't care? I can go find something else I think is interesting and talk about that instead." I personally don't really get any benefit from being negative without specifics (like bringing real problems to the attention of the people who have power to address them). I like opening up conversation and possibilities and contributing when I find new information or have an idea I don't see being discussed. Especially when it's with strangers, as the only time complaining can ever really be fun to me is in solidarity with friends.

Which is all how I engage with things, and is not how anyone else is obligated to engage with them. So I'm sorry again. It's fine for you not to be curious about these games.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
    To be honest I expected to hear a teaser about this game this year. It might not happen. Very early in development (just like Rene).
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,049 Member
    If this game ends up being for real then I'm all for it. Competition would be a good thing since EA has had a monopoly in life simulation games for over 20 years now. The Sims just isn't what it used to be and I don't have any confidence that there will be any significant changes for the better in the future.
    Hi @EA_Cade , can this please be moved over to the Rene forum?
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited October 2022
    Now we have

The Sims : Project Rene started in 2019 : Screenshots, videos and usable prototype (Playtesting)

Paralives started in 2019 : Screenshots and videos
    Rod Humble's game started in 2019 : Nothing
    Now we have

The Sims : Project Rene started in 2019 : Screenshots, videos and usable prototype (Playtesting)

Paralives started in 2019 : Screenshots and videos
    Rod Humble's game started in 2019 : Nothing

Rod Humble is really keeping it under wraps. I’ve been looking at their LinkedIn and the team keeps growing!
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Rod Humble is really keeping it under wraps. I’ve been looking at their LinkedIn and the team keeps growing!

I think that is Paradox policy. Typically their developers are secretive.

Yeah, it's not bad that Rod Humble's game hasn't show anything. The wrong takeaway from that is to assume the game is a "scam," a term thrown around too loosely. Rather, it's their development approach.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yeah, it's not bad that Rod Humble's game hasn't show anything. The wrong takeaway from that is to assume the game is a "scam," a term thrown around too loosely. Rather, it's their development approach.

Some people really think that? The only way to win is to not hint at anything it seems, because people will think that anything that takes more than 2 years is a scam. People really think that developers start working on games when the first trailer drops a year before release 🤦🏽‍♂️
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited October 2022
    Yeah, it's not bad that Rod Humble's game hasn't show anything.

Today it's not a matter of "bad" or "good", people likes to be part of the project, submit ideas and be listened.

Project Rene and Paralives are done with the community and for the community.
    Paradox is doing their own thing no matter what people want.

It's not a bad or good thing, at the end we'll see what method is the most appropriate for this kind of game.
  • Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    That new paradox game sounds interesting, I would like to see more information about it
    edited October 2022
    Hauk150 wrote: »
    That new paradox game sounds interesting, I would like to see more information about it

Same, this article is all we have about it. https://www.pcgamesn.com/paradox-tectonic-new-game-rod-humble
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

Some people really think that? The only way to win is to not hint at anything it seems, because people will think that anything that takes more than 2 years is a scam. People really think that developers start working on games when the first trailer drops a year before release 🤦🏽‍♂️

Yes, I've heard of Sims 5 (before Project Rene announcement), Paralives, and Paradox Tectonic being labeled as scams.
    The game from Paradox Tectonic is finally going to be announced in one week on March 6! Paradox is having a 30 minute stream on their Twitch and YouTube where they're showing three new games (including the one from Tectonic) and a bunch of new DLC and news, so we probably won't get a lot, but we'll get something! Definitely a name, maybe some footage, maybe even a release date! (Link here)

They say, "Paradox Tectonic pushing boundaries

We're expanding your creativity. Life simulator visionary, Rod Humble, and Paradox Tectonic are itching to unveil its new ground-breaking project."

Haven't streamed in ages but maybe I'll do a watch party since I've been following this project for so long. In either case, exciting news!
    Sometimes I stream.

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    The game from Paradox Tectonic is finally going to be announced in one week on March 6! Paradox is having a 30 minute stream on their Twitch and YouTube where they're showing three new games (including the one from Tectonic) and a bunch of new DLC and news, so we probably won't get a lot, but we'll get something! Definitely a name, maybe some footage, maybe even a release date! (Link here)

We're expanding your creativity. Life simulator visionary, Rod Humble, and Paradox Tectonic are itching to unveil its new ground-breaking project."

Haven't streamed in ages but maybe I'll do a watch party since I've been following this project for so long. In either case, exciting news!

Unlikely, but I hope it's a life sim game.

Unlikely, but I hope it's a life sim game.

Me too, but even if it isn't, everything I've heard about it makes it sound like a game I would like!

What we know so far (off the top of my head), from: job listings, tweets from employees, podcasts with employees, and the original creation of the studio:

- the game is meant to be open-ended and sandbox-y, where "failure" is as interesting as "success" and there is no real fail state.
    - lots of complex systems for the user to discover
    - made in Unity
    - for a "primarily female PC gamer audience"
    - (from twitter a couple years ago) one of the most heated debates in development was about levels of color customization, with the ideals of the team being similar (we need as much customization as possible without causing too many performance issues), but wildly different opinions on where that line was (these were funny tweets!)
    - (from a podcast) there is an in-house world-building tool that was planned to maybe become user-facing - so players would have their own world building

Anyway, we'll know more in a week! I'm super excited!
    Sometimes I stream.

• Stones36Stones36 Posts: 9 New Member
    If sims5 is an MMO I will not support it, I find MMO's are a way predators can groom children into online relationships, and unless online games are going to be more diligent to protect minors then it will only be dangerous. One thing I've always liked about sims is that its not an MMO but you can create your own world.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Stones36 wrote: »
    If sims5 is an MMO I will not support it, I find MMO's are a way predators can groom children into online relationships, and unless online games are going to be more diligent to protect minors then it will only be dangerous. One thing I've always liked about sims is that its not an MMO but you can create your own world.

It isn't going to be an MMO. You will be able to invite your friends to play, but you will be able to solo play as well.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    @Ivyeyed TYSM for that info! I have been hoping for some news about their new game! This is exciting! I'm actually looking more forward to hearing about it than I am TS4's EP after learning that we once again get a piddly 12-lot world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top