Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Rene Specs

ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
Does anyone have any idea what engine they are using to create Project Rene? Any hint as to what the specs will be? I ask because I want to plan ahead for upgrading or replacing my computer. I like to play the Sims on very high settings... lol
fkgck4xkargo.png
"If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    edited October 2022
    First, it was said that it’s years away (exactly those words were used) so I would really wait with any plans of upgrading your PC. Second, as a console player, I don’t think Sims 5 will come out during the life span of PS5 (which is already out for two years). I think it will come out during era of PS6. Average console life span is 7-8 years, that gives devs 5+ years to develop the game. They stressed two or three times” it’s very early” and “many more years.” I’m thinking 5 years at least and maybe 6, that’s the optimistic take imo. So my point is, nobody knows at this point what specs this game will have so any plans of upgrading seem pointless.

I’m not trying to dimmish anyones hype or happiness, but I saw quite a few excited people who seem to forget that this is really far away project in an infant stage.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,833 Member
    edited October 2022
    These were all of SimGuruLyndsay's comments regarding a time frame. I'm thinking more like 2-3 years.

Today marks the start of our journey over the next few years.

I want to give you all a very early behind the scenes look at what we're testing and exploring.

Again this is very early and just a few aspects of what Project Rene will grow to be.

Over the next couple of years we'll continue sharing updates.

I'll say it one more time. This is super early for us.

• DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,181 Member
    You'll find out about two months before it releases. Maybe one month. Maybe less than a month.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited October 2022
    There are no specs requirements, not this early in development, but it will probably be an engine that is either unreal engine 5 or based on unreal engine 5.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    logion wrote: »
    There are no specs requirements, not this early in development, but it will probably be an engine that is either unreal engine 5 or based on unreal engine 5.

Yes, I heard something about them using the unreal engine too. Infact, I saw an example of the visual quality of the unreal engine and was really impressed with it.
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    The newer iterations of the Unreal engine can do some phenomenal post processing.

Having said that, if you can run Cities Skylines smoothly with a big city, you ought to be on the right path.

I believe Paralives (Sims 5's main competitor) is built using the Unity engine (?not 100% sure though) which is the engine running Cities Skylines, as well as quite a few other games. The orthagonal building model they use was inspired by the way you lay streets in Cities Skylines if I recall correctly. The reason I mention this is because it seemed to me that they (Maxis / EA) were showing off things that were very similar to the Paralives video released earlier in the year. Competition between the two franchises is teriffic, because we (consumers) should get two great games rather than having one rest on its laurels and occasionally spit out a bit of DLC.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    Just a heads up, sims 4 changed its requirements too yesterday (or at least very recently). You might want to have a look at those too before you get a new computer. For sims rene it is way to early to tell because it is years away.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Olalla1986 wrote: »
    First, it was said that it’s years away (exactly those words were used) so I would really wait with any plans of upgrading your PC. Second, as a console player, I don’t think Sims 5 will come out during the life span of PS5 (which is already out for two years). I think it will come out during era of PS6. Average console life span is 7-8 years, that gives devs 5+ years to develop the game. They stressed two or three times” it’s very early” and “many more years.” I’m thinking 5 years at least and maybe 6, that’s the optimistic take imo. So my point is, nobody knows at this point what specs this game will have so any plans of upgrading seem pointless.

I’m not trying to dimmish anyones hype or happiness, but I saw quite a few excited people who seem to forget that this is really far away project in an infant stage.

Thanks for the response. I understand that the game is several years off and I was not planning on upgrading to a new computer until right before release. But, there is some information coming out already, though nothing is in stone yet. So far I have heard that the Unity or Unreal engines are likely to be used. Knowing what engine it will run on is a good starter. Specs will come along later. I just wanted to know what information anyone had.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • TheBoyXPTheBoyXP Posts: 85 Member
    I clearly can't see this " 5 years at least and maybe 6, that’s the optimistic take" being true. If we have to judge by the very first job listings for the game (2018), i think they will announce Project Rene as The Sims 5 in either 2024 or 2025 with a release date for 2025/2026. If they really started in 2018, this will make it 7 or 8 (!!!) years in development which is more than enough for a base game.