March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

♂️ [Content] Man lifestyle for The Sims

Comments

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited October 2022
    Tough trait

The usual "Boys don't cry", this ability to look strong no matter the situation.
    Goofball, Evil and Mean sims would think twice before doing Mean/mischief interactions against Tough sims.

The Tough sims have good resistance to negative emotions (sadness, tense, uncomfortable, embarrassment, ...).

The opposite trait would be Sensitive trait which would make the sims more affected emotionally by the events than usual.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I'm very happy to see that Play Catch, Pillow Fight, Body Hair and Shaving will be available soon.

Me too, especially after getting spoilt to all of them being just an normal thing in Sims3 😄

But that razor is way too big. I use an old fashioned safety razor too, where you drop in the double edged razor, and it's maybe an inch and a quarter, inch and a half at the most in length, not what looks like half q sandwich m, or a Hohner Pocket Pal Harmonica 😆

@LeGardePourpre I think the "boys don't cry" idea is widely regarded as one of the most harmful ones in Western patriarchal societies, and for good cause, because choking off emotional expression is harmful to anyone who does it, and innumerable men have been to therapy trying to undo the damage that idea has caused.

I personally overheard a father actively taunting his own crying young son, who was sitting on the sides of the tennis court. The man was mocking his son cruelly while the son tried to suppress it but he couldn't contain the tears and I never wanted to lay a man out worse than I did right then. I knew calling out the father would only make matters worse for the son, so I told the son very quietly as I passed, "it's ok to cry, you have nothing to be ashamed of" but I was shaking with rage at the father. Still, I know that likely, the harmful ideas of how to be man that the father was enmeshed in were likely pressed onto him just as harmful, by his own upbringing. It's generational trauma, and that awful, abusive father likely didn't invent it on his own, but was also a victimized boy once.

Changes in hormones can induce changes in emotional experience and lability, as can many medications, but societies differ markedly in ideas about what it means to be a man and how that intersects with emotional expression, tenderness, and vulnerability such that we can see the falsehood in the notion that to be fully masculine, one must essentially be either an unfeeling robot, or worse, cruel and vindictive.

Unfortunately that image of masculinity was deeply rooted in the culture of the British Empire which then carried forward into what later became its many diasporas, seeding ideals of masculinity that run counter to human virtue generally, when applied to anything except the battlefield.

Men have to be able to live, love, and parent outside the battlefield though, so we all lose if we carry a tradition of having to live as if we had to kill or be killed tomorrow, every day from age 10 onwards. That kind of emotional lockdown itself does harm, causing and worsening social isolation and weakening social connections, which exacerbates stress.

I know you didn't mean the extremes like that horrible misguided dad, but the insidiousness of the message that "boys don't cry" is that it is the basis of so much hidden harm, not just to boys, but the men they later become, making them less fit to have emotionally connected, caring relationships with anyone.

We should replace it with the more truthful statement: "sociopaths don't cry".

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • EleriEleri Posts: 535 Member
    edited November 2022
    Tough trait

The Tough sims have good resistance to negative emotions (sadness, tense, uncomfortable, embarrassment, ...).

The opposite trait would be Sensitive trait which would make the sims more affected emotionally by the events than usual.
    This is a lot like the Emotional Control and Uncontrolled Emotions traits that we already have with Parenthood. They're not presented as masculine and they're more about finding healthy outlets for uncomfortable emotions that simply not feeling them, but the underlying effect of increased resilience makes it too similar.
    Unfortunately that image of masculinity was deeply rooted in the culture of the British Empire which then carried forward into what later became its many diasporas, seeding ideals of masculinity that run counter to human virtue generally, when applied to anything except the battlefield.
    More of a Northern European thing generally than a British thing specifically, also there many places in the world with little or no history of British influence that have similar values. Meanwhile, the country where I was born used to be under British occupation and we're as melodramatic as we ever were. :'(:o:D
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Eleri wrote: »
    Tough trait

This is a lot like the Emotional Control and Uncontrolled Emotions traits that we already have with Parenthood. They're not presented as masculine and they're more about finding healthy outlets for uncomfortable emotions that simply not feeling them, but the underlying effect of increased resilience makes it too similar.
    More of a Northern European thing generally than a British thing specifically, also there many places in the world with little or no history of British influence that have similar values. Meanwhile, the country where I was born used to be under British occupation and we're as melodramatic as we ever were. :'(:o:D

Good to know! 😄 and come to think on it, no one ever accused the Irish for instance, of being out of touch with their feelings. You make many good points to exonerate the British Stiff Upper Lip.

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    edited December 2022
    Military Service

For young adult sims who wants to obtain the Brave trait. The Bro sims appreciate the camaraderie, a good way to create solid friendships.

For the teens who didn't or failed to grow up with good character values, Military service will give them Responsible, Mediator and Emotional Control traits.

If it's done before going to University, the sim will get an additional scholarship.
    edited January 2023
    edited January 2023
    Create-a-Bear-sim

The chubby sims need additional options to customize them better, maybe a "rounded" body/head slider and new body hair.

• GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    edited January 2023

Men have to be able to live, love, and parent outside the battlefield though, so we all lose if we carry a tradition of having to live as if we had to kill or be killed tomorrow, every day from age 10 onwards. That kind of emotional lockdown itself does harm, causing and worsening social isolation and weakening social connections, which exacerbates stress.

If you haven't already read it I highly recommend the translated text of a 13th century Knight's biography (written in the 13th century), called 'The Life of William Marshal' (translation by Nigel Bryant)

It's an absolutely fascinating look into 13th century life for a Knight, and also into what constituted 'ideals of masculinity' back then. Positive views of masculinity weren't just restricted to how well someone performed in battle or on the tournament field back then, the types of men who were held up as examples of what a man should strive to be were those who were trustworthy, loyal, kept their word, treated their families well, made sure those who were in their service were properly taken care of. You've got men openly weeping at funerals, or shedding tears because they're emotionally moved by a touching scene they've witness (perfectly acceptable, nothing to be shamed for), men walking arm in arm, or showing other forms of platonic affection with their close friends, men taking care to be well groomed, to sing, and dance for enjoyment. I suppose these days they'd be considered 'less than the male ideal' in the world of the 'real manly man', but we're talking seriously battle hardened warriors, who were also expected to have traits like morals and decency and kindness.

Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    But we got a man pack. Don't you remember? It's a kit that has skirts and dresses for men. lol

I seriously love the idea of a man pack! Reword the title so it's more woke and the Sims staff isn't offended. Because, obviously, we all know, everyone can do any of these activities.
    I'm happy because EP13 Growing Together will add this one :
    Build a shelter / tree house / dog house

I imagine a parent and a child building something together.

ubllogkxdukk.jpeg
  • akuheikomatsuakuheikomatsu Posts: 79 Member
    edited February 2023

I’m a cis-female, but I would welcome the opportunity to include many of the hobbies and deco themes mentioned in this thread. I think failing to implement “masculine” hobbies/activities/deco/career out of fear of promoting toxic masculinity not only is excluding male Simmers, but makes those who do not identify as male but still enjoy these hobbies feel more invisible. It is still promoting the idea that there are “male” and “female” hobbies/clothes/careers/etc.

• Hated_by_FantaHated_by_Fanta Posts: 9 New Member
    I do think it would be a nice idea to have thing men are know to do and have, a good hobby would be building or putting things together as you could have items such as a functioning tool box with drills etc and have the option for a more expensive tool chest. This could also go with having a garage pack, which cars/motorbike that work needing to be fixed up. I don't just mean fixing a flat tyre or broke gearbox but also being able to buy and sell cars and bike to be restored and done up.
    Cars like:
    -The Ford Model A
    -Yamaha XT500
    -Kawasaki H1 Mach III
    -Jaguar E-Type
    -Ford Model T
    -BMW R90S
    -Mercedes-Benz 300 SL
    -Aston Martin DB5
    -Ford Thunderbird
    -Honda CBX1000
    -Just to name a few.

It would also be cool to have them be able to be sold as scrap or written off if damaged to much.
    Sticking with cars you could have a Monster Truck career as well as a motor racing career too.

It would be cool to have a functioning shed for the garden so that you could have a kit with a lawnmower and other garden tools

Adding Hair gel products too and just more "men" like clutter. (tools, instruction manuals, batteries, razor etc)
    For the Get Famous pack adding a stunt person career path.

Sports could be one, like football (soccer), Golfing, wrestling (WWF, cage fighting etc), paintball, skateboarding, surfer, free diving, diving. The list could go on and on.

In terms of kit or pack you could have a man cave pack?
    Also for families adding the interaction of dad dancing to embarrass teenagers and younger kids could have the option to join in with dad. You could also have it where dads or a male sim can teach your males sims "manly things, like sticking tobacco or fixing cars or bike, even fixing furniture or simple things like how to tie a tie.
  • fujicakes1fujicakes1 Posts: 1,285 Member
    I like this idea. My partner has a lot of his own stuff and he has his own places for his stuff, his man places in the house I guess, I know it's not that way for everyone in the world but it is a cute idea for sure. We have tons of kits and etc that have more "feminine" (again not straight across the board for everyone, calm down) items. Pastel pop, I'm not going to make my brain work harder than that but I do have a lot of feminine things in my build mode. I like the idea of a barber shop too, I would definitely let my male sims' facial hair grow if they could go to a barber shop. I mean as a woman I have stained wood and used a power tool before and put furniture together, and I was super proud of myself when I did those things, so it's not just man stuff, we all know that. But every guy that I know wants a man cave, and every woman I know wants a...woman cave I guess, my partner and I are just lucky enough to have them, and they are definitely VERY different in style. We have a ton of stuff to put together a woman cave, why not have enough stuff to put together more of a man cave?
    All my daily trances, and all my nightly dreams, are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams.
    I dance to the beat of my own drum, no matter how measured or far away.
    I do love a road. You can always be wondering what is at the end of it.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    I feel like there's not really a lot of stuff for males to do in Sims 4....Where are the barbell weights? Where are all the tools and tool chests? Where are all the manly activities such as cutting down trees and fixing up cars? Where are the model railroads and wrestling rings?

Currently,the only manly things my male Sims can do are woodworking,repairing things and the boxing bag.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I sometimes build a shed in the back garden to turn into a ‘man cave’. There is usually a woodwork bench or boxing bag in there.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
    edited July 2023
    The sims could repair, upgrade and tune their bike

eveknj10.jpgimage-12.jpg

Motorbikes could be added to the game and work like a bike.

cute-b10.jpg
  • EleriEleri Posts: 535 Member
    Anyone remember the gear heads from Sims 2? I think a Gear Head game pack would include a lot of the themes and activities from this thread, including motorcycles and tools, without implying that you have to be male to like them. The Sims 2 also came with a secret lot called Will's Garage where you could practice tinkering. You could add a lot type called the garage where people could go to work on handiness. One potential pitfall is there might be a lot of simmers who would be disappointed if they add fixer-upper cars that are just a handiness item and (when finished) a woohoo/makeout/listen to radio spot, as opposed to a means of transportation. I'm fine with that myself, I think transportation is overrated when you don't have open world.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
    edited July 2023
    Skill Competitions

The game misses challenge at the character level, the sims should compare and show off their skills (chess competition, …).

Not necessarily during festival, it could be for fun with friends and in order to solve a conflict with an enemy or rival.
  • DuskregnDuskregn Posts: 40 Member
    Would love this! A lot of it could easily double as usable content for butch lesbian sims, too 👀🌈
    edited August 2023
    For the Daredevil sims

Sandboarding in the desert

1a10.jpg

Cliff Diving

adobes10.jpg

Skating down hill

crazy_10.jpg

Paragliding

aile-p10.jpg
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
    edited August 2023
    Posters and decorative objects for the sims who are fans of sports like Polo, Badminton, Baseball, Rugby, Hockey, Tennis, Volleyball

abaca_10.jpg
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on