Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

do you ever pretend you're a sim?

ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
I was putting off some real-life task like cleaning, thr unfun stuff that life entails, and made a game out of it, pretending to be a sim doing it. It made me laugh inwardly because of course I couldn't do the foolish things Sims often do. But it made it more fun doing the drudgery of life, to imagine a little status bar over my head and thinking how nice it would be if it just took a few swipes and then I get sparkles in the air and sound fx.

Aside from that, there have been times that Sims terminology has crept into real life, like I heard myself tell someone "my fun is in the red, so..." and it does get me to think more about balancing needs.

Anyone else ever use Sims as a metaphor for life or picture themselves or others as Sims, for fun?
You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
```
wonderfullymade.jpg
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,552 Member
    I have.

I'm dealing with some real life health issues and I've found thinking in sims terms can be a helpful shorthand to get through the day. I especially use the moodlet concept... thinking "I'm Sad, what can I do to get some Happy or Inspired moodlets to counterbalance that?"
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    edited October 2022
    I find myself using Simlish phrases occasionally, especially “Yibs!” I call the neighborhood dogs “Woofums” and my cats “Minicules.” Occasionally I’ll sneak a “Sul-sul” or “Dag-Dag” into conversation with family, so I guess I’m absorbing the culture.

In CaS, male voice 1 will say something that sounds like “Todd Bumpkiss” during Spellcaster animations. So, Todd Bumpkiss has become my name for anyone I’d like to turn into a toad. Makes them easier to deal with.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    I sometimes say "my social bar is full" (but unlike irl the sims don't suffer negative consequences from social interactions when their bar is already filled, the lucky plums).

When I had just started using poseboxes back in Sims 2, I realized at some point that I was doing "Male_sit_7" and for a while became conscious about my movements and how they did or did not match sims cc poses and ingame animations. It was both fascinating and cringy, and luckily stopped quickly when the novelty wore off.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    edited October 2022
    I am often in that The Sims 1 state of :

Simmingal is too depressed to ____ right now

When I notice I must immediately work on getting my needs panel in green before reattempt

sleep, go to toilet, take shower, eat food, clean house, play games/ watch tv/ listen to music, tell someone lots of jokes, hug cat....

I also like to play the sims build mode/neighborhood music when i do annoying household chores it feels like i am actually improving my accommodations and rebelling the flies that seek to cover my expiring food

oh and yes the react to first snow automatic action is real i hate it but i always do that when it snows why i ask myself i don't know i don't even like winter that much
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I can't say I've ever imagined myself as a sim per se, but a frequent term that is used in my RL is if my "plumbob is green"?

Usually it's when one of my girls has cleaned up the house and everything is all nice and orderly with scented candles lit and it's just super pleasant to be in that room and I always tell them it makes my plumbob green!

I say that so often that now they actually ask me if my plumbob is green.

• ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I can't say I've ever imagined myself as a sim per se, but a frequent term that is used in my RL is if my "plumbob is green"?

Usually it's when one of my girls has cleaned up the house and everything is all nice and orderly with scented candles lit and it's just super pleasant to be in that room and I always tell them it makes my plumbob green!

I say that so often that now they actually ask me if my plumbob is green.

That gave me a big AWWWW! moment.

Love hearing that others also have found simsculture working ots way into their lives, usually for the better.

@Simmingal I want to rip off your idea about playing the build music while doing house chores, too!
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,807 Member
    I think one of the big positive differences that playing Sims has made in my life is that, when I encounter someone who is being awful or just annoying, I now ask myself what moodlets or unsatisfied wants/aspirations might be contributing. It helps me see the situation from another angle.
    gen3-banner.png
  • JustinPhoenixDLCJustinPhoenixDLC Posts: 42 Member
    @ignominiusrex Great topic, thank you!

@Simmingal I like the music idea, I know I feel like when I go to the store to buy something new, I've compared that to going into buy mode and upgrading my house.

@Chicklet453681 That's super cute! I love how kids pick up on that sort of stuff. Not related to the Sims, but my daughter used to think I worked for Chopped b/c we watched it so much. I'd come home from work and she'd ask, "Did you win today?"

@luciusstorm Sorry about your health concerns but glad Sims is giving you some sort of relief. Prayers sent!

I know I definitely feel like a sim when I've stayed up all night playing, need to head to work, and then I fall on my face exhausted, LOL. Does anyone else do that?
    Please bring disabilities to the Sims 4!
    Gallery ID: JusGaminDLC | YouTube Channel
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    I've never pretended to be a sim, but in moments where people are pushing my buttons I think to myself, 'How would Danielle respond?'. She has encountered more irritating sims than I could ever count, but she never lets them get to her. She shrugs them off and goes about her day. She is a very chill sim and that's part of what I love so much about her. I call it her 'Dani Chill'. So when people are driving me crazy and I feel myself getting mad, impatient, or some other negative emotion, I just remind myself to find my 'Dani Chill'. She has been such a positive influence and source of happiness and comfort ever since I created her. I had no idea that would be the case, it wasn't in my mind when I sat down with CAS and brought her to 'life'. That's the magic that makes some sims more than just another sim.
  • LilNerdySimmersLilNerdySimmers Posts: 99 Member
    Yup, Me all time even IRL
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    No, but I do use the lot squares method to estimate size of RL buildings. If can later compare to actual dimensions, the estimate is usually quite accurate.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    Hehe, yup, sort of, once I had a long chat with go worker before work, I remember thinking after: "That must of maxed my social meter full green" :D
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • JackieDawJackieDaw Posts: 18 New Member
    I didn't imagine myself as a sim, but when I don't feel well (like when I didn't get enough sleep or had a conversation with someone rude) I can immediately tell what negative moodlets I get from it :D
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    Oh yeah the negative moodlets are real

especially when i go outside and need to speak to fellow human for some reason
    always results in very tense moodlet

I wish I had the all resolving bathtub at least waiting for me when i get back home but alas I am not so fortunate
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    One thing I like about Sims is that I can sum up my thoughts in moodlets, and it's a great way to not take things too personally. Like, whenever I'm angry, I think I have the "Aggravating Conversation" moodlet lol (even thinking of the picture with the smiley face with the devil horns).

Also, for trolls online, the animation of the Sims snickering and giggling and slamming in their keyboard is the best way I can picture them lol.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Much like my sims I sometimes find myself trolling teh forums.
  • JustinPhoenixDLCJustinPhoenixDLC Posts: 42 Member
    No, but I do use the lot squares method to estimate size of RL buildings. If can later compare to actual dimensions, the estimate is usually quite accurate.

@Oldeseadogge I do this too and have found this to be true as well.
    Please bring disabilities to the Sims 4!
    Gallery ID: JusGaminDLC | YouTube Channel
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member

Curious how you do that. Do you have a size in mind for how big the lot squares are in sims, or how they translate into feet or meters?

```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member

Curious how you do that. Do you have a size in mind for how big the lot squares are in sims, or how they translate into feet or meters?

I do a rough guestimation too.

For me, I basically divide the RL measurements in half. So for example if a room in RL is 10ftx12ft, in the game I would make the room 5x6 tiles.

If you think about it, a double bed in the game is 2 tiles wide by 3 tiles long, so in RL that would be approximately 4 feet wide by 6 feet long, which is pretty close measurements. A RL double bed measures 54 inches by 75 inches so it's pretty close to at least get the general idea.
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member

Considering that graph paper was originally made for architectural blueprints - and Will Wright originally created the first Sims game to be an architectural game - the conversion of the squares in the game and actual building proportions is hardly surprising. It would be surprising if it did NOT convert naturally. Just use a CAD program to design a home, and you'll see how Maxis uses an almost identical system. Just remember that the CAD programs came FIRST; they did not "steal" the idea from EA or the Sims.

On topic:
    A friend of mine is a simmer, and we often refer to various friends of ours as "family Sims," "popularity Sims," or "knowledge Sims". I personally would have to give myself the Needs No One trait, because I require zero social interactions with anyone, ever. I am quite happy living in isolation. (Lockdown during the pandemic was more a relief for me than any kind of hardship. The only hardship was sometimes being able to buy things I needed.) I don't get negative moodlets being around people, but I do get positive moodlets when I'm alone.

@Simmingal: I like your idea of playing Sims music while doing chores. Sounds like it would make it fun.
  • tanezumitanezumi Posts: 15 Member
    ill just say yes
  • Whitedove52355Whitedove52355 Posts: 34 Member
    Sometimes I'll greet a friend who is also a simmer by saying Sul Sul. Sometimes I'll say one of my bars is low like usually hunger or social.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member

TS1, in build mode, says that 1 square= 9 square feet, which means 3 feet a side. This is the only version that gives the area.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,807 Member
    I heard someone on the bus the other day greet her friend with "Suuuuuuuuuul" but I wasn't 100% sure that wasn't the friend's name or something so I didn't put my oar in
    gen3-banner.png
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    Don't have to pretend.
    I am a sim. :#
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds