Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your favorite part about The Sims 3?

Comments

• TurtleShroomTurtleShroom Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2022
    Favorites:

1. Open worlds. Nothing before or after "Sims III" will ever be as good because of this. "Sims IV" worlds are small, and "Sims II" is even worse. The moment I played "Sims III" was the moment I realized that I hated "Sims II". "Sims IV" does the same thing but without adding new empty lots, plus pandering.

2. The ability to create Worlds and add new Lots.

3. I never realized how much I missed the Create-a-Style until I tried "Sims IV".

4. The game comes from a time when EA didn't pander.

5. Every Sim could romance and be romanced by every other Sim. No fixed designations.

6. EVERY Expansion Pack was well-integrated to some degree with every other pack. You could segue between content and actually see one Pack's Skill have a purpose in another Pack.

7. The Store's Canning, especially with Mods that expand its power. I have never used an item in S3 more than that, no matter what I am playing.

8. The Store Deep Fryer. Don't ask why, I just love it so much.

Despisal:

1. Loading times. If you have a lot of Mods and a traditional platter-based hard disk drive, you can be looking at fifteen or thirty minute wait times when you load a well-worn saved game.

2. The game is thirty-two bits, meaning anything that is exceeding the hard-coded limit of four gigabytes will crash the game completely. I've never gotten to do a Legacy/Dynasty Challenge because the game fails at or after the third generation. I have three gigabytes of Mods. No one plays games on a Macintosh, but they got a sixty-four but update that EA didn't simply use to make it work on Windows.

3. EA never fixed most of the game's problems, even old ones. Mods fixed most of it, but there's a lot you can't do because of the proprietary code.

4. There is no "Sims III Complete Collection". I lucked out because I got almost all of my Expansion Packs as a gift from someone else, but those who want to get into the game now have to pay the original retail price for what is essentially a broken, thirty-two bit video game.

5. Creating things like new Skills and Lot Types were impossible back then.

6. The musical instruments do not include an organ like S4 does; the organ is my favorite instrument.
  • tanezumitanezumi Posts: 15 Member
    i love the sims 3, it is new to me and I am having so much fun discovering the possibilities since I have been playing s4 for most of my time. after playing for not even an hour i deleted the sims 4! no hate to the other game, really. but i cant believe how much i was missing out on. the open world, the world building, THE COLOR WHEEL! it feels like i should have been playing this game the entire time. im invested.
  • sonicgamersonicgamer Posts: 31 Member
    I like how when you adopt, you can choose the baby, toddler or child's gender in the vanilla game in the Sims 3. In the Sims 2 vanilla game, not only do you have to wait until the next day for you adopted sim, you only get to pick the age, not the gender. I always hated that.
  • MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    Favorite parts: open world, cars and the customization.

Least fave: no search function in build/buy, and the 4gb ram limit.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    My favorite features about TS3 are:

Open seamless world
    I enjoy the freedom of going anywhere without loading screens. Not only that but having a real-time simulation going on at all times is impressive though some of it is in the background. What I think a mature and realistic life simulator should strive for. The open world has made a huge difference, improvement and advancement from TS and TS2, while making it possible to incorporate new features into the game never done before. Thus making the life simulation aspect more true than false and allowing for more opportunities to showcase what a life simulation can do. The shortcoming is TS3 is not as in-depth as TS/TS2 concerning open dining, open shopping and so on unfortunately. What a trade-off but at least it made leaps of progress despite a well loved feature to me omitted. By that I mean with an EP it would be in-depth but they never and the store just did not deliver the experience as I had hoped and was no where near as in-depth as TS/TS2. Though a feature like that belongs in base game but at least an EP. But no.... :( But at least something is better than nothing so. :)
    Screenshot-35.jpg

I love the majority of what I see in the neighborhood/world I can take my Sim(s) there without loading screens, like in the real world.
    Screenshot-57.jpg

Create-a-Style/Create-a-Pattern
    This has become another important feature to me because of the freedom of creativity it presents and allows, instead of presets only. I can finally match whatever I want with whatever and no longer confined to what the developers have which sometimes don't always come matching. Or I can mismatch or mix and match without being limited. Also because of this, I am able to recreate what I see from elsewhere which makes the buy/build modes that much more fun.
    Screenshot-1917.jpg

Screenshot-231.jpg

Screenshot-2249.jpg

Screenshot-5.jpg

Screenshot-104.jpg

The A.I. (Artificial Intelligence)
    I love how just like in the game where it all starts, The Sims (2000), the A.I. can still be taught and take cues from the player. Meaning that how a player directs their Sim(s) can affect how the Sim(s) behave. The difference between this core concept in The Sims and The Sims 3 is that it's way more improved and advanced upon and with the open seamless world this makes the A.I. extremely engaging than ever before over the largest playing field with real-time simulation continuing the A.I. stories and routines even when Sims are in their homes, rabbitholes, it does not matter. There is always something happening regardless if the camera/player is there or not, just like in real life. Life goes on.

Something else I observe from the A.I. is how human-like it makes the Sims think, process, act and react. I have noted so many A.I. driven stories, thought processes, and so on that the A.I. is what helps the most to add dynamic, interesting, fun and engaging gameplay to TS3 for the purpose of longevity than easily getting bored. I think a lot of players miss out on experiencing what the A.I. can really do, possibly for various reasons such as: Playing with free-will off or low, not attuned to reading people and their possible emotions, their possible motives, basically the lack of understanding the basis of psychology which even The Sims (2000) is based on Maslow's Hierarchy as is TS3 and so on. My favorite analogy I like to use is, some players only swim on the surface in the ocean, while others dive deep and see there's more than meets the eye concerning TS3.
    Screenshot-963.jpg

Seamless Aging/Generations
    TS2 was the first to introduce generations and what attracted me to the game the most. Unfortunately, I quickly gave up on generations after finding out that only the active household ages up while everyone else stayed the same age. Thus having to switch and play all households in order to age everyone one when I didn't want to. Now mind you, at the time I only had the base game and University and did not really get anything after that due to life, so I would not know much of what was possibly added thereafter. However, I do now have a few TS2 EP's and SP's that eventually I plan to reinstall such as Open for Business, Late Night and Unleashed, etc.

With TS3's ability to have seamless aging across the whole neighborhood/world, has made me invested again in generations. Also, because there is no comprehensive family tree in TS3, I create my own to keep track of my Sims' families so I don't get confused who is related to who since it can get overwhelming for me with so many Sims and many different families. I also move my families and/or members around to different neighborhoods so I definitely need to keep track with all the broken family trees.
    Genesis-Family-Tree.png

TS3's Aesthetic
    TS3 is the only Sims game with the most mature and subtle animations with more realistic graphics than TS/TS2. I really am fond of this aesthetic and would not mind having more realism as long as it all flows together cohesively and is overall just even more beautiful to look at. But I digress.
    Screenshot-1924.jpg

Screenshot-1936.jpg

Screenshot-613.jpg

Screenshot-50.jpg

Screenshot-10.jpg

Screenshot-463.jpg

Screenshot-829.jpg

Screenshot-105.jpg

However, I do like using cc to get Sims to look even nicer using both a default skin and non-default skins, one default eyes and non-default eyes, cc hair, and so on. But I do tend to mostly use the game's hair because I actually like the game's hair.
    Hunter_Selfie_Color3.png

Screenshot-855.jpg

Screenshot-892.jpg

Screenshot-1814.jpg

Screenshot-60.jpg

Screenshot-339.jpg

Screenshot-1427.jpg

Vehicles
    I think it's really amazing having bicycles, mo-peds, scooters, hoverboards, jet packs, cars, motocycles and so on seamlessly instead of just drive on or off the lot like in TS2. However, in TS2 there were more in-depth features that came with cars. Again with the trade-off but okay, I get it. Routing can be extremely finicky.
    Screenshot-1191.jpg

Screenshot-150.jpg

Screenshot-2048.jpg

Gender Roles
    It's nice that social interactions aren't locked based on gender. For example:
    Screenshot-6293.jpg

Colorable Lights
    Screenshot-1871.jpg

Tab Mode/360-Height-Tilt Camera Controls
    As can be seen in screenshots already posted.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • AliceMamaJakeAliceMamaJake Posts: 2 New Member
    Just love the sims3. With some nice mods this beats sims4. Most off the worlds out there are so super nice and I love too play.
    Offcourse open world is what I miss when i play sims4 just go fishing or run in the town....
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    CAW. Just creating the worlds to play and then getting inspired to create a new world. :heart:

CAW limits. I can't use Store world stuff in the CAW map without it being CC. Can't add ALL the lots to a world without it being as slow as molasses, if it runs at all. :cry:
  • LamaaaayLamaaaay Posts: 66 Member
    My favourite part of the sims 3 is just how much gameplay there is, I find with the sims 4 I get bored so easily. That I run out of things to do. But with the sims 3 it doesn't matter whether I am playing with a single sim, or playing with family gameplay (which is my normal style). There is always something to do and you can make all sorts of stories for whatever type of Sim / Family you are creating. And also the fact that all the other townies would have actual backstories and relationships.

There isn't much I dislike about the sims 3, that could just be bias because other than the MySims I played back when I was 8, it was my first main series game. But I do find the lag quite bad sometimes, and I've had to get used to saving every 10ish minutes.
  • jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    @Deshong04 I like what you had to say about AI and the sims 3 and all the other observations you made. Totally agree! I love the Sims 3 and can't stop playing it.
    I now have quite a few Sims 4 games packs and the game is actually enjoyable now - but I just can't leave Sims 3. There is just more there. It's more than open world and the color wheel. The world seems more alive, the sims are more alive, and I prefer the more realistic style. Will always love the Sims 3!
    Your pics are stellar, by the way!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    @jaletu2005 Thanks.

So true, and I love how the Sims are more than just their traits. They literally have their own wants/wishes outside of the wish system if one is observant and again knows psychology. There is a lot and I mean a lot of features in TS3 that is not showcased in the U.I. but rather the A.I. such as unrequited love, jealousy, grudges, Sims pick their own lifestyle, who they are attracted to, have personalities beyond traits but can be seen by those who do not micromanage, observe each Sim's A.I. and understands the reasoning behind it and so much more.

That's why I like to describe TS3 like an interactive soap opera, though that is also the core concept of The Sims (2000) and why I love how much TS3 kept true to what The Sims is while at the same time making so many leaps forward.

Currently my Sims are having difficulties working out their relationship. I've rarely been meddling and mostly have been watching how these Sims interact with each other and it's very fascinating and entertaining. Here's the story here under the username Deshong if anyone is interested: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=602287&c=1&ht=&page=161&pp=25#startcomment

Where it stands now, Choice has broken up her friendship with Daichi again, I think. Of course he wants to keep rekindling the friendship but she's tired of being ignored by him about what she expects from him. But then again, Choice should know you can't change a person either so I now know for sure that these two are not a compatible match. They both want something different and it just won't work. I wonder if she regrets ending her friendship with Israel or if there's something more to Choice and Ken'ichi. Poor Ken being the third wheel caught witnessing their back and forth behavior.

Choice arguing with Daichi which ended their friendship.
    Screenshot-1208.jpg

Choice feeling ignored and distraught.
    Screenshot-1212.jpg

Screenshot-1214.jpg

Daichi on the other hand felt sad and had a double wish to befriend Choice while she had no wishes to befriend him at all.
    Screenshot-1216.jpg

Ken noticing his brother's sadness caused by Choice rejecting him or rather his ideology.
    Screenshot-1223.jpg

And then Choice noticing Ken. Possibly something he said to her previously but her being hard-headed and not listening.
    Screenshot-1226.jpg

Ken had a wish to throw a party so I invited over his two co-workers and of course someone uninvited showed up but apparently it seems Ken may be attracted to her. I'll investigate that later. Anyway, anytime a man gets romantic with Choice, Daichi gets upset and jealous. As shown by the animation of balling his hand into a fist. Now what's interesting is he went to grab a drink, likely to calm his nerves, then headed over to the table to use his laptop. After Ken's dance, he got a wish to talk to Daichi so I had him do that. But whatever was said, Daichi wanted to argue.
    Screenshot-1233.jpg

Screenshot-1236.jpg

Screenshot-1237.jpg

Also, something I noticed in Daichi's A.I. is that he's been going to sleep and then maybe a couple or few Sim hours later will wake up despite he's still tired and go do something such as: Play catch with the peashooter, play with his soccer ball, play chess, etc. Then he will eventually go back to bed and sleep until well rested or it's time to get up before the carpool comes. So basically, I've noticed this getting more common that he's not sleeping well initially. A bad dream, nightmare perhaps? Though this isn't the first time I've caught this in a Sims' behavior.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • CordeliaBeaufortCordeliaBeaufort Posts: 76 Member
    edited October 2022
    Almost everything, but if I list:
    - Adventures, through World Adventure stuff to Isla Paradiso adventures and its challenges. You had to solve all those tomb puzzles yourself, should pull and push statues to right positions instead of just clicking and "examining" and I personally liked that challenge.
    - Exploring lore. I used to read every stuff of World Adventures and the lore was interesting.
    - Skill challenges. Just because you maxxed a skill doesnt mean your job end here.
    - Openworld, as people said. It was easier to control multiple sims at same time that way.
    - Active professions with unique challenges; ghost hunter, firefighter, magician etc

Yeah its like asking what is my favorite part of a piece of chocolate cake. I think I just like chocolate cake.

Least favorite? Lagging if you are not using high end gaming computer.
  • octotigeroctotiger Posts: 64 Member
    I enjoy the open world, or neighborhood, as the worlds are not always that big. They make the sims seem so free, and I like watching them drive or bike or ride a horse to work, school or to a lot or neighbor. I also enjoy playing around with patterns for the sims clothing and furniture and making my sims and their homes look wacky or coordinated. My least favorite things are that I wish kids and toddlers had more interactions, and that kids could ride horses. The memory system was also terrible because it recorded useless things and repeated memories constantly (the entire memory log could be filled with fish caught, being late for work, or by visiting a rabbit hole) until I disabled it and started giving my sims custom memories instead.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,116 Member
    Open world, no loading screens (suffered enough with that when playing Sims 2...) and customizing everything - nuff said. :star: Plus it's the most realistic looking of all the Sims games to me. And there's so much to discover, I never get bored with it. <3
    4. The game comes from a time when EA didn't pander.
    ^That! 👏🏻
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,527 Member
    Open world play.
    Least favorite: routing issues that cause lag.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • MiddleclawMiddleclaw Posts: 23 Member
    Favorite - Open world freedom to do anything you want
    Least favorite - Error 16
  • octotigeroctotiger Posts: 64 Member
    Something else that I like about the Sims 3 is how the ability to edit the world allows the player some control over what kinds of jobs and opportunities the sims partake in. If I remove the business or hospital building, then sims cannot join the business or medical career. If I remove the school buildings, then teens and kids cannot go to school. It allows the player some control over how the world looks and what the sims do.
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    the ability to escape real life
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • NannalauridsenNannalauridsen Posts: 2 New Member
    > @KingofSims said:
    > And your least favorite?

The kids music :D
    I don't like that the sims seems dumber than in sims 4..
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Favorite aspects: Open world; deep customization; good AI; Island Paradise; occults; lots of content

Least favorite aspects: I have to use mods to keep it running smoothly; certain bugs

~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    That's like asking what is your favorite part of a piece of chocolate cake! The cake? The icing? The filling? The sprinkles! Truly I love it all and same with Sims 3. It's the best game ever made.

Having said that, I have a desktop that runs it well with rare crashes, and I've learned how to avoid the pudding sims (the sims whose slider values are all set to zero). I don't think they're unattractive. I just don't want a town full of clones. The maids are always pudding and I don't mind that either cause who doesn't want a clone cleaning for them!

omy that video was AMAZING. dang. A true labor of love for the sims. <3 Maybe everybody else is used to level of dedication but it blew me away. :)

• dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member
    It's hard to decide what would be my favourite thing about TS3 I love the open world and customization but I think the most important thing for me is the re-playability, I played TS4 for three days at the behest of my niece and was bored/frustrated the entire time, I don't think I have even opened it since. Yet all these years into TS3 and here I am playing again.

My least favourite thing is definitely that sims come out of CAS with zero skills even if they are an elder, how many elders do you know in RL with zero skills? Operationally I don't like that it is stuck on 32 bit because eventually the hardware won't support it.
    You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
  • ZerelthZerelth Posts: 35 Member
    The world felt much more alive and being already rendered, townies would already be doing stuff when you arrived somehwere, rather than idle around and spawn in when you do. I love watching them go about their way. My least favourite thing is the lagging though. They were too ambitious with the graphics and renders with it I think.
    xn2jilzetfiu.pngshe/her
  • BuildModeBuildMode Posts: 23 Member
    My favourite aspect of the game is the scope of customization! I love the creative freedom that the game allows for. I also love how detailed and extensive the gameplay is.
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    6. The musical instruments do not include an organ like S4 does; the organ is my favorite instrument.

@TurtleShroom I just saw this post, but there is an upright piano and an organ available here:
    https://aroundthesims3.com/objects/room_downtown_01.shtml

I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures