Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Play The Sims 4 for free beginning October 18th 2022

Comments

• JackieDawJackieDaw Posts: 18 New Member
    Can't believe EA is actually doing this. I always thought that they only want their players to pay more money, so it's nice to see them give the base game for free (even though playing without content packs is no fun). There are so many people who couldn't buy the game. I'm really glad they would be able to play The Sims at last.
  • BotchedParrotBotchedParrot Posts: 11 New Member
    Hold up....

I just noticed that the CAS demo is apparently expiring. It was free to play just to mess around with CAS and create sims like I want to whenever I want to make base game sims without mods and not feel like waiting to load the game forever just to do the same thing because I have mods enabled and absolutely do not want to keep swapping the setting and reload the game just to do that.

Why? Just why? It was really useful. Now it just makes less sense to get rid of it on that condition even when the base game is going free. No goodo.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Hold up....

I just noticed that the CAS demo is apparently expiring. It was free to play just to mess around with CAS and create sims like I want to whenever I want to make base game sims without mods and not feel like waiting to load the game forever just to do the same thing because I have mods enabled and absolutely do not want to keep swapping the setting and reload the game just to do that.

Why? Just why? It was really useful. Now it just makes less sense to get rid of it on that condition even when the base game is going free. No goodo.

It makes sense because since TS4 will be free, no need to download a demo to create a sim, when you create a sim in the game. I get what you mean about creating a sim but it(the demo) hasn’t been updated in years, so current features were missing.
  • BotchedParrotBotchedParrot Posts: 11 New Member
    > @SelinaKyles said:
    > it(the demo) hasn’t been updated in years, so current features were missing.

The fact it is a demo inherently would be missing features. That's practically expected. The idea and intent of creating clean base game sims with what it had was possible with it. It didn't outlive its usefulness just because the base game itself is going free. The fact that there are DLCs people would have to purchase anyway to have a "complete" game still undermines the base game itself going free as well, so that really doesn't change a thing but to make the base game accessible to others. That still means people can put on mods to it, and the problem goes to square one without the demo.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited October 2022
  • SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    edited October 2022
    I'm fine with it being free, they've obviously decided this is the way to maximise their profits in the long term so I get it. Most people who are prepared to pay for the base game have already bought it, they want to get new free players hooked into the game and then cross their fingers in the hope that they end up buying DLC.

I've had my money's worth out of the base game over the last 8 years even if I have been playing less and less the last couple of years. I used to buy all of the packs on release but haven't bought any of the kits (except Bust The Dust), the last three game packs or the most recent expansion pack. I feel kind of alienated by the marketing which only seems to care about American teen/young adult females now, I also got bored with how superficial the game is, like we're supposed to get excited because because they're adding a new shirt or whatever as if that's supposed to enhance the experience. Add depth to gameplay instead please! The game doesn't have to be a colourful utopia all of the time, real life is hard.
    Post edited by Simplyobsessed on
  • WatermelonSandalWatermelonSandal Posts: 4 New Member
    What time today does the game become free?

Also, if this is a free download, will you need downloaders to enter their credit card details? Seems pointless.
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    What time today does the game become free?

Also, if this is a free download, will you need downloaders to enter their credit card details? Seems pointless.

Wondering the same, it's the 18th. My bf is ready to download but only option is to pay EA play monthly subscribtion.

SignatureSparkly.gif
  • therealmerlintherealmerlin Posts: 3 New Member
    > @EA_Lanna said:
    > More updates to follow during a special stream, Behind The Sims Summit
    >
    >
    > We’ve welcomed millions of players to The Sims™ and watched in awe as they unleashed their imaginations, discovered and connected with ideas, experiences and versions of themselves, both in-game and real life. Our community has continued to inspire us with the billions of unique Sims they’ve created, the countless stories they’ve told, and the remarkable builds they've designed.
    >
    > We’re excited to continue to welcome in more players than ever to create new stories, and explore without boundaries. The Sims has always been about celebrating new ways to play and offers so many possibilities to discover. Beginning on October 18, 2022, The Sims™ 4 base game will be available to all new players to download for free* on PC via EA app or Origin™, Mac® via Origin, Steam®, PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One systems.
    > https://youtu.be/ZFkqTSU9tSo
    >
    > With The Sims 4 going free to play, our team is more dedicated than ever to developing new and meaningful The Sims 4 experiences for our players and we will continue to develop and release packs, kits and Sims Delivery Express drops into the foreseeable future. We’ll be sharing more about what’s in the works during a special-edition stream, Behind The Sims Summit on October 18, 2022 at 10 am PDT via The Sims YouTube and Twitch channels, also available on demand!
    >
    > EA Play and EA Play Pro members will receive an upgraded experience when member-only bundles of The Sims 4 go into The Play List on October 18. The Sims 4 EA Play Edition includes The Sims 4 Get To Work Expansion Pack, while the EA Play Pro Edition includes both The Sims 4 Get To Work Expansion Pack and The Sims 4 Toddler Stuff Pack.
    >
    > And last but not least, to our longtime Simmers, we want to say thank you – we wouldn’t be where we are without your continued love and support to help make The Sims community what it is. From September 14 through October 17, all players who have purchased The Sims 4 base game will receive the Desert Luxe Kit as a gift**. With the Desert Luxe Kit, Sims can relax in their modern oasis with luxurious indoor and outdoor furniture, inspired by the natural landscape of the Southwestern desert and materials like stone and wood. To redeem the Desert Luxe Kit, simply log into the game and it will be available in the main menu for you to claim.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > We can’t wait to share what else is in store for The Sims 4 in the near future, so be sure to tune into the stream on October 18, sign up on TheSims.com and follow us on social media for more updates!
    >
    > *Additional content requires separate purchase & all base game updates. Applicable platform account, internet connection, and EA account may be required. Age restrictions apply.
    >
    > **Conditions & restrictions apply. See https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/packs/kits/the-sims-4-desert-luxe-kit for details.

The lie detector determined that was a lie 10-18-2022 Sims 4 still 19.99
    > @QueenSaraphine said:
    > Wondering the same, it's the 18th. My bf is ready to download but only option is to pay EA play monthly subscribtion.

I've been ready to play all day. And since I'm in a different time zone to EA's headquarters (I'm BST), I'm not sure when the option to download for free will reach me.
    > @QueenSaraphine said:
    > Wondering the same, it's the 18th. My bf is ready to download but only option is to pay EA play monthly subscribtion.

I've been ready to play all day. And since I'm in a different time zone to EA's headquarters (I'm BST), I'm not sure when the option to download for free will reach me.

Think you'll have to wait a few more hours until the summit, sadly :(
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • therealmerlintherealmerlin Posts: 3 New Member
    Also, I am curious why sims 2 and 3 are not free... ?? (o.0)
    > @QueenSaraphine said:
    > Think you'll have to wait a few more hours until the summit, sadly :(

The Summit starts at 10AM Pacific Time, so it looks like I'll be waiting until 6PM here.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,332 EA Community Manager
    > @QueenSaraphine said:

The base game should now be showing as free across all applicable platforms.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
    Awesome! Thanks for the update @EA_Cade 😊
    SignatureSparkly.gif
    > @EA_Cade said:
    > The base game should now be showing as free across all applicable platforms.

Thanks for the update! :smiley: I'm downloading it now!
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member

Oh my, that's quite the trailer.

The song sounds like "Lick It Up" from the old rock band KISS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcj34XixuYg
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    a trip down memory lane to celebrate 8 years earlyer when the sims4 was first annonce https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLisalfBPa8&t=1s
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i think they hinted the sims5 and the big hint is there bring back the color wheel and they called it project rene
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • KrysCalamityKrysCalamity Posts: 1 New Member
    I am a bit confused about something with the free release etc. I have EA play subscription. So I already had Sims 4 Digital Deluxe edition. I got the promised Luxe Desert kit, that installed with no issues. But all the articles have been saying this :

"EA Play and EA Play Pro members will receive an upgraded experience when member-only bundles of The Sims 4 go into The Play List on October 18. The Sims 4 EA Play Edition includes The Sims 4 Get To Work Expansion Pack, while the EA Play Pro Edition includes both The Sims 4 Get To Work Expansion Pack and The Sims 4 Toddler Stuff Pack."

I can't find that anywhere on the EA app platform. But I do see that they have discounted it to half price. But if you read above, it clearly states we get that because we are EA play members. Perhaps I misunderstood something here?

If anyone can shed some light that would be much appreciated :)
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    And it's the same "50% off EPs (aside from the latest one), 30% off GPs and SPs, and 0% off Kits" sale they've been doing for the past couple of years. Darn it.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited October 2022
    The Sims 4 Free is a good way to make the new players wait until Project Rene is released.

But they might not invest a lot of money in a dying game when a better game will be released soon.