Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wyrd Tales (updated Apr 17, '24)

Comments

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,830 Member
    @luciusstorm Never mess with a mama bear.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    @luciusstorm This was GREAT! Loved the intrigue and the counter-intrigue. Especially enjoyed this line:
    "Excellent Judith, you're magnificent, amazing, stupendous... just wonderful. Uh... nice job, Jenny." What fun!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,630 Member

Chapter 30 - Sunny Days and Cold Nights

I'm in a movie, Miranda thought in wonder.
    OBeAo5k.png
    The location shoot was finished and the cast was enjoying a final days of sun, sand and swimming in the islands.
    ZiSMuPi.png

Miranda took the opportunity to try out snorkeling...
    UEfv8J0.png

... and indulging in the simple joys of sand sculpture.
    u3TBEge.png

Cassie found herself giving an impromptu musical performance for fans on the beach, and loving every moment of it.
    jYgy7b2.png

Jenny... Jenny met a cute island guy.
    f7bUVYk.png

Of course, not everyone was happy with the way things had turned out.
    kzC4LjJ.png
    "Nick," Judith snarled, "take care of it. Yes, whatever it takes."
    ktPR3xM.png

Whatever it takes!
    NCnOyfr.png

"Well, well, well," Zayne muttered to himself. "We still need to introduce ourselves."
    vKQnBMi.png
    Later that evening...

"So, you're Randy right?" Zayne leered. "I was thinking, Randy, we should get to know each other better. Never hurt an aspiring young actress to be close with a star."
    uO3JuC1.png

"Are you... Are you saying what I think you're saying?" Miranda said, even more shocked as Zayne grinned in response.
    03Qsr7v.png

"Because," she continued, "I don't think you should be saying things like that to anyone, but especially not the teenage daughter of the leading lady."
    t16Qzj8.png

"Heh," Zayne chuckled feebly, "I think you may have misunderstood... I was just kidding around..."
    oR3DGzP.png

"No, I think I understood you perfectly," Miranda replied sternly, "and I think you need to cool it."
    4bYn50m.png

"And my name," she finished, "is Miranda!"
    8kFAyfp.png

"Yes sir, my man is in place and ready."
    Ex9BWjc.png
    "Sir, if I may, I think the direct approach may not be best at this time."
    ikCuOaG.png

"Well, direct didn't work out so well for the last guy. Yes sir, him. Cold shoulder... and arm. Torso. Head. Really, really cold. Yes, sir."
    egr1ujc.png

"Yes, sir. Yes, sir. I agree, sir."
    bcCmaiG.png

"New plan."
    N7edZrV.png

"Oh, it's been so good to see you," Jenny said.
    r9BlDIW.png
    "Hey, guess what," Jenny continued. "Zayne made a pass at me, and I turned him down, flat."
    nfuc92z.png

"Me too," Miranda said.

"He didn't?" Jenny said, shocked.

"Please, we can handle guys like him," Miranda grinned.
    mMynxDw.png

"We're movie stars!"
    DlVLqYB.png
    "Excuse me, miss..."
    J94OP6t.png
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
    Great job @luciusstorm I really enjoyed this segment. Like how Miranda showed some "Street Smarts" and found this line very telling: "Well, direct didn't work out so well for the last guy. Yes sir, him. Cold shoulder... and arm. Torso. Head. Really, really cold. Yes, sir."

Loved the tease at the end.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,872 Member
    Simply epic...
    is Cassandra's Sign Of No in this image
    UhH6Qva.png

Interlude - Any Price

Judith Ward looked out over the city. It was her city, she thought. She had earned it. Starting from nothing, she had done everything the seedy, miserable, cruel entertainment industry demanded. They had tried to belittle her, demean her, crush her spirit over and over but she had clawed her way up. Yes, she had left her share rivals broken and bleeding in her wake. Yes, she had betrayed friends and lovers to climb up one more wrung. That was the price and she had paid it. She had fought her way to top and nothing... nothing... would take that from her.

Now Cassandra Goth, the self-styled Raven Witch, wanted to throw her down.

Others had tried and failed.
    EK75E9A.png
    Oh, she was making a fair effort....

She had tried to steal Judith's fans, turning one of those dreadful Meet-and-Greets into something about her and not Judith!
    gkYeNZg.png

She had stolen the Tartosa Charity Gala.
    hnCEPYW.png

Worst of all, she had stolen Judith's movie!

The studio fawned over her. Cassie this and Cassie that!
    Bb31vMw.png

It was too much. There had been stubborn rivals, who wouldn't go back into their place without a little encouragement.

Well, Nick Alto had always been reliable for that... but this time... this time was different. The Raven Witch wasn't just an act. Her powers were unnatural. Evil. To defeat the unnatural, Judith needed the unnatural herself.
    She styled herself Miss H. Her cheap street clothes and coarse manners didn't fool Judith for a moment. Judith recognized the cruelty and strength that came from a woman who has fought for long years against those who take what was rightfully hers. She recognized the ruthless power born of darkness and hunger.
    9VeFQic.png

That made Miss H a dangerous tool of course... one to be used with care, so that it did slip and cut the hand that held it. Judith understood that and understood that to win everything, everything must be risked.

Oh, Miss H would help. She wanted to take down the Raven Witch herself. She hid it well, but the hunger was there in her cold eyes. Of course, she demanded a price. A price so high, so terrible that for a moment... just for the length of a heartbeat... Judith hesitated. For a moment, her dazzlingly smile hid her own doubt.

But only for a moment.
    Gj8ydX7.png

All of this was hers. She had fought for it, bled for it, destroyed lives and traded souls for it. She would pay any price to keep it.

Any price.
    jLIOCBB.png
    @luciusstorm Judith's ambition and ruthlessness, make her a fascinating villain. Like you with my Judith, I'm curious what fate has in store for the Queen of Mean in your story.
    Is it...
    THAT Miss H??
    @luciusstorm You did a great job of fleshing out Judith Ward's character. I now know she isn't merely mean, she's evil. You've got me hooked, I can't wait to see how all of this plays out. And I worry for Cassie.
    @DaniRose2143, my hope is that it will be an interesting ride. As always, I have grand plans and we'll see if I can make them work.

@mightysprite, I only know the one (and I am amused by the existence of a canon character whose name would be so likely to get blocked by the forum censor that I didn't even try). :)

@GalacticGal, she not evil, she's... no, yeah, she's evil. Wounded, twisted up and broken inside happened to her. Evil is how she chose to respond.

Glad you're all enjoying the story. I look forward to hearing what you think of what comes next...

Chapter 31 - Summer's End

"It was incredible!" Miranda cheered, after she finished explaining her small but pivotal role in the upcoming Curse of the Pirate Queen.
    o5KEuCT.png
    "That's terrific," Gwen laughed, caught up in her daughter's enthusiasm. "What an opportunity!"
    HHUejSP.png

"I guess we'll need to stock up on sunglasses and baseball caps, now that we have two famous actresses in the house," she continued.

"I'll try to remember you when I accept my Starlight," Miranda laughed.
    N2YVskK.png

"It really was an incredible opportunity for her," Cassie said later that night, "but I can't help but think Judith was up to something. It's like she hoped Miranda would fail. I know she's mean as a rule, but it seems like more than that. God, she's such great actress that sometimes I'm not sure what's real and what's not when I talk to her."
    YFoTZMg.png
    "It's like she has something personal against me," she continued, " and I don't know why. I've only ever tried to get along with her."

"Well, you broke into acting from music, and quickly rose to a stardom she's worked a lifetime for," Gwen pointed out. "You're beautiful, talented, respected... the studio's new golden girl... and I'm sure it doesn't help that you look literally half your age, while she's been hiding her wrinkles and grey hair for a decade."
    pJhysaa.png

"OK, if you're going to be all logical about it," Cassie grumbled, "and since when were you logical?"

"Since we were eighteen and I needed to impress a certain raven-haired girl by beating her at chess," Gwen replied.
    YG4AWC8.png

"Well, at least with Judith I don't have to worry about us all being murder by vampires," Cassie laughed.

"You just had to say that, didn't you?" Gwen sighed.
    KLbvTPy.png

Calls to Tartosa were sometimes difficult (the spells that shielded Glimmerbrook from the rest of the world made cell coverage spotty at times), but Miranda thought it was worth it to keep in touch with Mariah. She shared not only the big news about the movie but all the little news of everyday life...
    1lZz2OF.png
    Mariah said that Miranda had clearly been bitten by the acting bug. She admitted she was maybe considering joining the local community theater troupe in the fall.
    pkBuSwH.png

She was also practicing her mediation...
    DxMetU2.png
    ... even discovering Gwen's levitation trick...
    KmccuM2.png

... which was not as easy as it looked.
    QhT2nfR.png

Meanwhile, she told Mariah, when mom wasn't doing something for the studio, she practiced her often neglected arcane skills.
    UmofovF.png

Gwen insisted there was always something new to learn.
    ppEoMsS.png

Catching up with Beth and Jake was, at least, something that could be done in person.
    w1Rxtce.png
    They were suitably impressed by Miranda's upcoming film debut...
    T8C4yfy.png

... though Jake was a little more interested in Jenny Poole's nude sunbathing and why Miranda hadn't thought to grab any pictures.

Beth assured Miranda she would bite him at the earliest opportunity.
    SmeHAUW.png

The last days of summer were fading...

Miranda wondered what her last year of high school would bring.
    CPRjK8Y.png
    If I may be permitted to indulge in a little author's commentary...
    I originally wasn't going to post Summer's End because it just felt like filler. Then I realized that I wanted to highlight the one-sided nature of the "rivalry" between Cassie and Judith.

When I decided to make Judith the antagonist for this arc, I played her for a couple of days, just to get a sense for her. She really did hold a Meet and Greet... at which Cassie, uninvited, appears and suddenly all of Judith's fans were fawning over Cassie and ignoring Judith! Even as an autonomous NPC, I don't recall Cassie doing anything to provoke it other than show up. That event set the stage for me... making this not just about Judith's jealousy of Cassie's magical youth but about her very personal own fears of being displaced as she grows older.

I see Judith as a wounded person... abused, twisted and broken inside by the things she has endured and done... but she has chosen to abuse and break others in turn. Cassie, who also suffered abuse and pain, had Gwen and, strangely enough, Don to help her heal. Did Judith have people who would have helped her? Did she reject that help in exchange for more power? I think she may have.

It doesn't make Judith less evil. My running theme continues to be about choices and their consequences.

Ok, that's enough of that... next Miranda goes to magical high school... because everyone knows that putting a bunch of hormonal teens with magical powers together for an extended period of time is a good idea. What could possibly go wrong?
    edited October 2022
    @luciusstorm I really enjoyed your 'author's commentary. Can't wait to see what's coming up. Magical school, eh? Nah, nothing to worry about with said hormonal swings, et al. You are far braver than I. LOL

ETA: Chapter 31 was a fun read. It's a little like catching up with old friends. :)
    @luciusstorm I'm so happy to see Miranda and Mariah are still in touch. I hope that lasts until they can be together again. I scared the cat, well I would have if I had one, when I laughed at Beth's "I'll bite him".🤣
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    @luciusstorm I always love your storytelling, but I found the dialogue in that last chapter especially perfect. The characters feel like they are becoming more and more real as you get to know them, and the conversation between Miranda's two moms at night just felt as real as real can be. Still enjoying so much!
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
    @GalacticGal, I usually try to let the story speak for itself but the commentary felt like things I wanted to say.

@DaniRose2143, I'm certainly not ready to let Mariah be forgotten and neither is Miranda. I like Beth... she's so nice and she still manages to have sharp teeth. I think she'll keep Jake in line in the long run.

@GirafHuntr, thank you... I always like writing dialogue and getting into my character's heads. I'm glad it worked well for you.

Now... back to school for Miranda...

Chapter 32 - Away to School

"We've heard from Ms Anansi that she and Mr Collett are reviving an old tradition," Gwen said. "Seniors at Brookside will have the option to living at the school."

"Wait," Miranda said, "live... at Brookside? Is this like those wizardy-school books... because it doesn't really go well for those kids, you know."
    35mbTFe.png
    "Well, yes. It used to be normal for young witches to attend Brookside full time," Gwen said. "With fewer and fewer magical families, the practice stopped. Now, they want to revive it. The Charms and the Brujas are sending their daughters and we wanted to see if you wanted to join them."
    hblLAEJ.png

"I think you guys really just want me out of the house," Miranda said, "so you can mess around in the shower without me walking in on you... again."
    HXHWOZh.png

"Gah... What?... No... No, no, no," Cassie stammered.

"I take it back," Gwen smirked. "Miranda's right, you're a terrible actress."

"She's better rehearsed," Miranda laughed.
    DxmcTXf.png

"Anyway, why not," Miranda laughed. "It's not like Brookside is far away."

"Right," Cassie smiled, "and if it doesn't work out you can always move back home."

"I'll let Ms Anansi know," Gwen smiled.
    3vSkUkG.png

Brookside Academy...
    rN73ppw.png
    Miranda already knew Shannon Charm and Elena Brujas from spring term last year and she hoped this would be a chance to get to know them a little better. Shannon had always been friendly, in a flighty kind of way, while Elena seemed more distant. Miranda wondered what it was like for them, as daughters of two of the oldest surviving magical families.
    wdvqtCl.png

That a fourth girl would be living at surprised all three of them. She hadn't been at school with them last year.
    9uwLbkX.png

"I'm just glad to be here," Claudette said. "I'm the first Blackwood witch in generations. My dad calls the Blackwoods a "Lost Family"... we used to be an old and respected lineage but over time our magic faded."
    Mqd85El.png

"Oh, like the Goths," Shannon said cheerfully. "No offense Miranda... your mom was the first Goth witch in generations. It happened to a lot of the old families. Gramma Charm has all these books of genealogy... all the great families and their histories... really fascinating stuff."
    shljmXE.png

"Well, I think it's great," Elena said. "Welcome to Brookside, Claudette. Don't worry if you're behind on your magical studies. I'm sure you'll do fine."
    f2RVpV6.png

"I hope you don't mind," Claudette said later that evening, "but I'm glad you're going to be my roommate, Miranda. Shannon and Elena seem a little..."

"Stuck up?" Miranda offered.
    cCBqE0X.png
    "I felt the same when I first met them," Miranda continued. "They're actually... no, they really kind of are. I guess they've gone their whole lives being told their family was special and important and made them special and important."

"As opposed to being the daughter of a world famous superstar and one of the Guardians of the Watch," Claudette said wryly.
    MDh7c3N.png

"Right," Miranda grinned. "I mean, mom's work is cool sometimes but mostly it's just totally embarrassing and the whole Guardian thing is just really scary. I try not to think about it."
    lVjswB5.png

"See, I really am glad I got you," Claudette laughed. "I really hope we'll be friends."
    Fozi9pB.png
    vC7VBYK.png
    fXv3OkT.png
    GdCifP9.png
    @luciusstorm Magic, like money, seems to be something that brings out the snobbery in some people. Shannon, and especially Elena seem to have the sims version of disdain for muggle-borns, even though Miranda and Claudette's families aren't strictly speaking non-magical. It's wonderful to see that Miranda has a friend in Claudette who understands where she's coming from.
    @luciusstorm Chapter 32 Away to School. Loved it. Especially what's under the last Spoiler tab. Chills. Well done. :)
    @luciusstorm Chapter 32 Away to School. Loved it. Especially what's under the last Spoiler tab. Chills. Well done. :)
    I know I should know who Mrs H is, but the answer is escaping me. I'm determined to figure it out.🤔

My post contains more than four characters. Stop saying it's 4 characters too short.😤
    @DaniRose2143
    Miss H, where the H is followed by ell, is a Maxis-made vampire who can be downloaded from the gallery.
    @mightysprite
    That would explain why I was drawing a blank. The only vampires I grabbed from the gallery were the Nobles
    @mightysprite
    That would explain why I was drawing a blank. The only vampires I grabbed from the gallery were the Nobles

I have ambitious, possibly insane, plans to explore/expand/revise her backstory. If I can pull it off, it will be cool. If I can't it will be a lot of exposition. :)

Chapter 33 - Brookside Academy

Dear Mariah,
    Hi from Brookside Academy! Sorry I haven't called, but the phones aren't working again. Can't email either, b/c no computer. I'm living in the Dark Ages here! So, you'll have to settle for a hand-written letter delivered by magical sprite. If you saw her (could you see her?) that was Bluebell.
    Awt5ueC.png
    Anyway, settling in OK here. Was a little worried about the whole boarding school thing. The last time I was away from home this long involved vampire attacks, sleeping in bushes and finally hiding out with a pack of werewolves for half a year.

A nice bed in an old house that's a boarding school for a bunch of witches is... OK, so my life is weird.
    omxmtjz.png

The school part is pretty normal...
    3jvDrSY.png

... lots of studying.
    rtPzKhi.png

Homework is homework, where ever you are.
    Du4fsdY.png

Our teachers are Ms Anansi and Mr Collett. They live at the school too.
    cdgyviR.png
    Ms Anasi teaches most of our actual classes... math, language arts, alchemy... that kind of stuff.
    biRU0ts.png

Mr Collett does more one on one tutoring.
    xgHRyBh.png

Shannon (I told you about Shannon, right?) thinks the teachers have a thing going. I don't know.
    0oTtd1j.png

The living-at-school part isn't so bad. We've got time to pursue our own interests.
    vbDCDF9.png
    I've joined the local community theater group, which is a lot of fun. You were right. I've got the acting bug.
    pbkKty3.png

We also do chores.
    rr95JLC.png

I get stuck with the cooking a lot. Everyone says I'm good at it, so I guess it's sort of a compliment.
    ye7eGcN.png

I told you about my roommate Claudette...
    4vhMm8u.png
    It's weird, sharing a room with someone. I didn't even do that when I was with the Collective. But we get along really well.
    bNeHvs1.png

I told you the other girls were being kind of stuck up around her. Well, not anymore.

It turns out magical dueling is considered a good way to practice our skills...
    D2TO1h1.png
    zjCrP77.png
    izS1RpQ.png

... and Claudette is a very good duelist.
    BzqI3n0.png
    BBXxsAA.png
    jmCKzUu.png

She's almost unbeatable.
    bQfdJvX.png
    YmWPWJ8.png
    ZTeXXoX.png
    SBFjDjP.png

So, yeah... It's turning out OK. Pretty normal for my weird life, at least.

Anyway, I hope you're doing OK. Say hi to Tomi and Angelo for me (be nice).

I'll try to call when I can get a signal again.
    All my best,
    Miranda

V4ZvaDI.png

Chapter 34 - New Plan

"Come in," Jenny called cheerfully.
    niPLMsq.png
    "So, how's my big time movie star?" Max said. "You ready to go out on the town? Do I need to call my boys to fight off the paparazzi for us."
    HvvWKHa.png

"Max you're such a flatterer," Jenny giggled.

"Hey, stick with me baby," Max grinned. "I'll make sure your names in all the papers."
    gWZIFgK.png

"Sure. What's the headline? 'Gangster's girl refuses to testify,'" Jenny teased.
    twHFCpt.png

"I keep telling you, baby, I'm a legitimate businessman," Max chided. "Now, let's hit the town."
    XVQ5MoR.png

"Max, I love this place," Jenny smiled.

"Nothing but the best for my girl," he told her.
    QiRM9y7.png
    "With your talent and my connections, there's nothing we couldn't do," he continued.
    CITeGGB.png

"I tell you sweetheart, I'm the luckiest guy here," Max insisted.
    IUW9O0A.png

Girl, you got it bad, Jenny thought to herself.
    oQmBbx1.png
    He's handsome...
    xGC0qAM.png

... smooth...
    tPXT3mo.png

...charming...
    rYitpfQ.png

... a great kisser.
    mPNjjfQ.png

I've finally found the right guy.
    aoeBlZt.png
    Perfect, Max thought. Everything is going according to plan. They'll never see it coming.
    235F0XO.png