Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why EA is not fixing the "plants reverting to dirt piles" issue?

SandyLee149SandyLee149 Posts: 65 Member
I have a very difficult time believing EA genuinely does not know how to fix this issue. I think they aren't fixing it simply because it is not financially advantageous. I don't think they care because they aren't losing enough money. I tried to do the math by googling the numbers of players in the US who play Sim 4, versus the number of players who viewed this issue in the EA bug report. I found the number of players reported in the US inconsistent and I found it difficult to research the number of players who searched for this issue.... but I still behind my conclusion. If they were losing money, it would have been fixed a long time ago. Yes, it stinks for the rest of us who are having problems with something as significant as gardening...and who spend good money on the game. Do you think there is a chance I may be correct? If they were losing enough money they would fix it, right???
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Why EA is not fixing the "plants reverting to dirt piles" issue? 18 votes

Yes
16%
heiblumeAmandèleSERVERFRA 3 votes
No
27%
Sara1010Pcchant86g01denswanBabykittyjadeLyrie 5 votes
Not sure
55%
Akl500PGalacticGalIcewolfDarkLady2788KatiardguezSheriSim57SharoniaIlikebuildingTequila_Rose_13191Reaganbogan 10 votes

Comments

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    This didn't happen in my save for a very long time.
  • SandyLee149SandyLee149 Posts: 65 Member
    It still happens to me, and other players as I've seen new posts on a different thread.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,332 EA Community Manager
    Heya @SandyLee149

This issue hasn't been fixed because the root cause (pardon the pun) has yet to be identified. The issue is still under active investigation at this time.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • IlikebuildingIlikebuilding Posts: 41 Member
    Not sure
    What do you mean? They often revert to soil when Evolve is used, and always have. And that can even happen if a golden hen 'spells' them. If that's a bug it's never bothered me because they regrow when in season.
    I don't have a golden hen. And 20,000 people have searched the issue on the EA bug report. That's only one thread.
    edited September 2022
    Then it's been under investigation since 2020 when first reported.
    Post edited by SandyLee149 on
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    It is a difficult problem to solve because it doesn't happen constantly and not the same for everyone. I think ea is trying to fix it. Unfortunately unsuccessful until now. Occasionally I have plants who are affected, sometimes I everything is fine. I have a feeling once a plant is 'infected' it keeps reverting regularly and I have to replace it.
    edited September 2022
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FIXED-In-Season-Plants-revert-to-dirt-piles-Patch-1-68/m-p/9726151/highlight/true#M161166 This was posted November of 2020 and had 13,057 views. https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-Plants-reverting-to-dirt-pile-Patch-1-76-81/m-p/10475991/highlight/true#M188190 was created in July of 2021 with 16,041 views. The last 10 pages of this thread were posted within the last month, with the last 2 on Tuesday, 9/27/2022. Check it out and don't tell me this isn't happening currently or it's due to an issue that is easy to fix. Pretty sure we'd know about the fix by now. Maybe I am wrong, but I have a hard time believing their devs can't figure out a how to fix a glitch after at least 2 years and 30,000 views on 2 threads.

Also, if your game is running correctly, this will not happen when your plants evolve. I have evolved lots of plants without this happening, and other times my entire garden will revert to dirt piles because I've logged off, traveled or did some other random thing.

I guess this bugs me (excuse the pun) because it's embedded into a lot of the game; vampires, get to work, realm of magic, cottage living. Maybe more. Those are just the ones I can think of quickly. They keep pushing content that contains an aspect of the game that is broken.
    Post edited by SandyLee149 on
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    It is a very annoying bug if you like gardening and played when it wasn’t broken. I don’t garden as much because I long for the days when it worked properly. Didn’t it start with eco lifestyle? I had hoped that it would be fixed when cottage living came out with new gardening options.
    I appreciate the input, but no. I personally cannot identify it to anything specific. According to the last posts on the bug report, I am not alone.
  • pearlbhpearlbh Posts: 313 Member
    I'm inclined to believe that they don't know how to fix it because no modder has been able to fix it either.
    edited September 2022
    Actually, you make a very good point I've not considered. The modders are very talented. If it were an easy fix one of them would have done it. I appreciate your input. However, we should be able to count on EA to fix their glitches. If it's so hard that it can't be fixed, they shouldn't keep embedding gardening into new content.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Given how inconsistent this bug is to reproduce, I believe EA when they say that they don't know how to fix it. I rarely encountered it in my pre-Seasons game, and even after adding Seasons it is still rare for me and doesn't follow clear patterns. Even when the bug occurs, there's no rhyme or reason to which plants are affected - in the millionaire save one morning it hit a random thirty of 200 lilys.

Also, the normal corporate word for "No" is a telling silence. If they just didn't want to fix the bug, they wouldn't say "We don't know", but gloss the matter over altogether, as they do with the Wants/Fears toggle.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited September 2022
    Personally, I don't think they know how to fix this issue. It's a good thing there are mods that can help with this problem.
    I guess I've had a hard time believing while they can produce this game, they can't fix a bug it contains. Also, why they knowingly say they can't fix it, but they keep pushing content it contains. I think that is what bothers me the most. However, I do appreciate your response and input. Thank you.
    Monaveil -

Is there a mod that fixes this problem? Please let me know if there is because I am not aware of one. Thanks.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Part of the issue is that it's caused by the rules set in the game itself.

We talked about it last year in this thread bienchen and littlemssam shared some helpful info about what you can do to prevent it as much as possible.
    • Don't use low quality fertilizer.
    • Don't have the eco footprint change a lot.
    • Don't be on another lot when your season is changing.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    To add to what @logion said, I also read to not use the Great Soil lot trait
    I do appreciate the input a lot, but I am using perfect growfruit and have opted out of Eco stuff. I don't think the seasons changing have any impact because I believe it happens to frequently for that. And I do not have the Great Soil lot trait. I did buy Super Green Thumb from the Reward Store. Not sure if that is supposed to help or hurt.

I appreciate everyone's input. I don't mean to seem so negative; I just find it very annoying after 2 years and 30,000 views on 2 threads. I guess if I find it that annoying, I should just try to play without gardening, or with as few plants as possible so if I need to use testingcheats it's not time consuming. Thanks again.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I really wish I can help diagnose the problem but I've never encountered that bug in my game, and I play my game with a ton of mods and I have practically all plants in the game in my lot. And yes, one of my Sims does have Super Green Thumb and I don't get the bug.

Have you purposely tried to recreate the bug on a different save? Like the tips people suggested you, you could try doing all of that and try to see if you can recreate it. However, from the nature of this bug, it just looks like it occurs whenever it feels like it, and doing all of those things above doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll recreate it.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,557 Member
    Not sure
    I'm really not suffering from this issue very much. I did in the beginning, but now I'm able to evolve a plant as I was before this weird glitch began to happen. It could be one of those problems very hard to pin down, as not everyone is having this issue. It may all depend on the computer/devise used to play the game. Mods in place in some games and not others. So very many factions. I know how frustrating this issue was, because like I said, in the beginning when it first reared (or hid) its head, it would happen when my Sims watered their plants. So, I had to make a point of harvesting first, and watering afterward. Pretty difficult when your Sims are living off of the land. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    This is not the first Sim I've had this issue on. Regarding mods, I literally installed the first mods I've ever used in the game 2 weeks ago from Little Ms. Sam, what I believe to be reputable. I do appreciate the responses. I know it's a hard glitch because there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I like the finer details of the game. Like.... I'd like to open a retail store and sell things like canned foods and flower arrangements, but you can't do that without gardening. Anyway, I appreciate y'all taking the time to respond. Thanks.
  • DarkLady2788DarkLady2788 Posts: 345 Member
    Not sure
    @SandyLee149 I don’t know why you have made this poll as I don’t get that problem in my game. Also you have to remember that there is a lot of fixes they have to do. I’m thinking they are try to hit two birds with one stones
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    edited September 2022
    Not sure
    This is the most annoying bug I have ever had and I have had it for several years now, and I have a lot of sims with plants.

I think the major problem is that there is more than one thing affecting the dirt pile bug.

I have great soul turned off all of my lots that garden now. I was told that might affect it

I fast forward through about 5-9 am now . ( as I heard that might be affecting it )

I heard that having over 16 plants will affect getting dirt piles,

I heard that you cannot use the same fertilizer more than once in a row, so I individually fertilize plants trying to use a different fertilizer for each plant . Example banana for one apple for the next onion for the third etc.

I use only cheap fertilizer, but I am careful to make sure and fertilize every time a plant needs it.

I noticed change of seasons sometimes makes dirt piles, even plants who are still in season and inside.

The main thing I do to stop dirt piles is save my game before tending plants, before leaving the lot to go to another lot, before fertilizing plants, and before evolving plants, and saving around 4 am. If I get the dirt pile after some one of these things, and it affects many plants I will get out of the game without saving and then go back in my game. Of course sometime I get complacent and forget to save and something happens….

@EA_Cade is there any way you could make a button for seasons where you can turn off seasons affecting when plants grow, inside and outside? I have heard some people who don’t have seasons say they don’t get the dirt pile problem. Besides, I would like to be able to grow all plants year round without having to have season affect what plant can grow during each season. That would help my game a lot.

Also, I will add….. I do not use CC or mods in the sims 4 and never have used them in the sims 4. I do however own all of the packs and kits at this time. I play on long life with aging turned off most of the time.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • IlikebuildingIlikebuilding Posts: 41 Member
    Not sure
    No one has mentioned hens when it comes to fertilizers. Not only do golden hens (that a sim has asked for help) upgrade things, when you clean out the hen sheds you get free fertilizer.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top