Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happened in your sims 3 game today?

Comments

• ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member

SUNSET VALLEY - Karl Helgason family

Karl Helgason, his wives and children plus Charlotta and husband Bronson Langerak furthest to the left (son of VJ Alvi and Kaylynn Langerak).
    52390441171_3caf604707_k.jpg

Family pictures with each wife :D
    Family 1, wife Sophie.
    52389517977_d4f013b614_k.jpg

Family 2, wife Brittny in t-shirt and tights.
    52390440826_0650089cd1_k.jpg

Family 3, wife Cassandra.
    52390440521_657f8090ac_k.jpg
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
    @Silverofdreams30 thank you! :)
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    Alrighty @Turjan and anyone else who's curious. :p

I took a Before picture of Hoshi (that's his name :blush: ) before doing some tweaking to compare. I just happened to capture him in a moment where he's closing his eyes and swooning over his wife after engaging in some romantic interaction with her. :lol:

Hoshi-nose-fix-1.jpg
    ^But yeah, hello again gross under nose shadows! :grimace:

Taking him into CAS I remembered that I have a custom slider called "Nose Tweak"...

Nose-tweak.png

...and I wondered if maybe it was contributing to the ugly shadows, but after playing around with it a bit I discovered it doesn't. (It's a slider that I really like so it's not one I'll be parting with, especially now that I know it's not a contributor. Whew. :relieved: ) It's the effects of that slider Turjan that you noticed before which you mentioned in this part of your comment:
    The nose you have looks like it has a rather large nose tip (you can try to reduce the tip and see whether that moves the center part up a bit) or a weird nostril rotation (they seem to open to the front, not down).
    ;)

I forgot to mention before that I can't really see how bad the under nose shadows are in CAS; it's not until I go into LIVE mode when I can really see how bad they are. :grimace: That's why when they looked so bad in LIVE mode I was confused and wondering what they hey was going on. :confused:

Anyway, when I checked on his nose tip it actually wasn't all that large (it seems to look so due to the Nose Tweak) so I adjusted the Nose Tweak a tiny bit and mainly just raised and lowered his nose and mouth alternately - like you suggested - to get the shadows to disappear (or really, to hide them). 👍

Here's the end result:

Hoshi-nose-fix-2.jpg
    MUCH better compared to that Before picture! :star:

I took a few side shots of his face just to be sure...

Hoshi-nose-fix-3.jpg

Hoshi-nose-fix-4.jpg

Then he looks up at me as if to ask, "Are you done with me now? Is it better?" :lol:

Hoshi-nose-fix-5.jpg

Me: "Yes, Hoshi. Very much yes." And you are SO fine! :love: Aged like fine wine. (Sorry! :joy: )

Thank you so much again Turjan for your help and knowledge. 💜 Now I know how to properly recognize those ugly shadows in CAS and also how to fix them if I missed them initially. ;)

I'm one happy camper. :blush:

And I really hadn't planned on revealing Hoshi (and his lovely wife Mami) before the Christmas story, but here they are! :lol: I wanna do a little random post with them after this cause it was fun playing with them for a bit. :mrgreen:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    @ZhakiraP - I do find Woeville a very good town for an apocalypse setting...all the vegetation is either dead or dying. :lol: I think, however, someone else did a story or challenge in Woeville, and I decided to download the town...after I got a computer again.

@emorrill - the chapters are coming slowly. My muse appears to be somnolent so it takes a nice hard kick in the *** to get her to do anything. :p
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Silverofdreams30Silverofdreams30 Posts: 7,200 Member
    @emorrill

wow, handsome character! you can create some really handsome sims'
    you know.

@ZhakiraP

You inspired me to play a bit random in Sunset Valley haha, great
    shots again.
    edited September 2022
    I've had it with GIMP, am uninstalling the thing. Spent twenty minutes on chat with an Adobe customer service rep and I have my legally bought Lightroom 6, PS Elements 14 and Photoshop Premiere 14 deactivated off my deceased laptop and ready to install on my new computer. Just downloading the programs now. If you're used to the way GIMP works, Photoshop will drive you nuts; the reverse will do the same if you started out with Photoshop. I guess I'm getting too old to figure out a new photo-editing program. ~sigh~ Now I can remake my story banners.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited September 2022
    @Sprottenham Love what you did in CAW. Looks like it will become a great town.

@Nikkei_Simmer Ah, I had been playing in Woeford a bit sometime ago. I really like it, but my old computer can't really keep up with all those recolors and custom objects. I had been loading a version without all that cc, but it needs a lot of work to make it look decent again. Maybe, one day. I definitely love the distant terrain that town comes with.

@ZhakiraP Thank you. You know that I love your family pics, and these are no exception.

@emorrill Glad that helped. There's also a vanilla nostril rotation slider in that menu somewhere.
    One thing I notice is that you still have two a bit too light fields that produce hard lines to the right and the left of the nostrils, best visible in your third pic (the first "after" one). Maybe, increase the nostril size a bit and see if that helps, if that concerns you. Of course, this could be due to the custom sliders, too.
    @Turjan - I'm not playing Woeford on a gaming PC by any stretch of the imagination. It's just a little Dell workstation but holy hell, that 16GB of RAM has cut the crashing down to a) overheating (if my cat ends up sitting on the computer...b) Error 12s (can't escape those...if I use too much cc...but it seems to have hit the sweet-spot with it. I'm not using much and calculating what goes in there.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,943 Member
    I just logged into my Imgur account (often when I upload screenshots there, I’m not logged into my account) and found a load of my old Sims 3 screenshots. Ohhhh the nostalgia… I do have them on my PC from when I transferred my laptop folder onto my PC, though. (Am currently on holiday so don’t have access to my computer).

Page 4400 is impressive!
  • meerkattimemeerkattime Posts: 261 Member
    Reading about hurricane Ian and just came here to say be safe to @GraceyManor and @bekkasan <3 .

I'm on a break from The Sims 3... I had computer problems and had to uninstall the game, and with everything else going on, I haven't had time/energy to reinstall it yet. Will do eventually :) .
    If anyone is looking for CAW on the Sims 3 Store website: I've been running headlong into THIS problem.
    whatsgoingonwithsims3store.jpg
    I wonder if any of the Simgurus have any ideas as to what's happened or whether CAW is no longer being made available.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    @emorrill I've been thinking of your shadow problem and wonder if it's so angular because of your graphic settings. Edge smoothing might need a higher setting if your computer can handle it.
    edited September 2022
    I wish there was a way (a mod) that I could make my cats dig up gemstones as well as hunt for animals both. Likewise dogs being able to hunt animals as well as dig up gemstones. That would make life a heck of a lot easier for my non-apocalyptic saves where as a cat-person, I only have to pick up a cat and have it do everything.
    N5MsHzm.jpg
    My Galway agrees with me.
    kSKBryN.jpg
    Galway: "If there isn't such a mod... MAKE IT NOW!!!" :p
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    edited September 2022
    @Karritz I think it may be the edge smoothing. I've got mine cranked all the way up and I'm not getting that kind of shading under the nose like @emorrill's images. I've had some problems with the EA sliders...doing that weird stuff with the under nose thingie...when I move the nose up too far...or too low...then it starts doing some weird stuff with the "mesh"...which results in the stuff that you see.
    Here's my settings:
    LgLeyzz.png
    ...and here's a close-up of the nose...area on my Sim in game.
    VGfeSBz.jpg
    @emorrill - like @Karritz says... if your computer can handle it - try it with edge smoothing cranked up to full.
    ...and here's one of MY sim...that I created...which I generally do a lot of tweaking of the nose.
    2MpTEi9.jpg
    On my last potato of a computer, I'd be getting SOOOOO much lag at these settings and I could fry an egg on my old laptop. On "Tiny"...it isn't even warm. And I don't have a graphics card. Eventually though I'll get a graphics card and transfer most of my stuff into a gaming PC's case - but for right now. Tiny is working like a "workhorse".
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    @Karritz @Nikkei_Simmer My settings are all maxed out so I have edge smoothing all cranked up. ;) Thanks though.
    edited September 2022
    @emorrill - Well, after those tweaks you did, Hoshi has aged like a nice bottle of Hakkaisan Tokubetsu sake. :smiley: :thumbsup:

I can't believe Tiny can run Sims 3 at max settings full out...and have NO lag whatsoever. I'm gobsmacked. I'm sure I could have fried a three-course dinner on my now-deceased laptop. but Tiny isn't even warm with my playing Sims 3 AND having Firefox browser up...
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    @Nikkei_Simmer I checked the CAW link, and it downloads just fine.
    gZ8psBL.jpg
    Regarding Woeford, I don't have RAM issues - even though my computer is nearly 11 years old, it has 32 GB of RAM - but, for some reason, streaming textures into the game takes ages. After a quarter of an hour of play, it usually takes a minute to load all textures when I turn the camera, and that simply isn't fun. This only concerns heavily retextured worlds like Woeford or Boroughsburg, the normal textures are fine.
    edited September 2022
    For me, Woeford hasn't been a problem. I'm getting a fps of 42; my Intel 530HD is running on 98% load - I'm able to pan through the mapview or in game mode as smooth as butter - I'm using MSI Afterburner (the Rivatuner replacement) for capping my fps at 60 max. And I touch the top of Tiny and she's barely warm while playing Sims 3. Of course, I'm playing in Windowed mode right now. But I was playing full-screen yesterday.
    RkIzuES.jpg
    "Don't look so shell-shocked, River, you knew what that kind of playing leads to..."

I'm still getting an Error 404 even when I logged out and logged back in. I go to the CAW page and I still get the Error. Evidently the lights are on...but nobody's home at the Sims 3 Store, so I don't reckon that's gonna get fixed anytime soon - so I'm SOOL on downloading it from there. Update: OK...luckily I was able to access it using MS Edge. Evidently Sims 3 Store don't like Firefox. ~grumpy stare~

Is it normal for capped fps to peak at 106fps while saving and exiting a game? Should I be attentive to those fps spikes?
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    @Nikkei_Simmer Regarding what you said about fps: In your graphics card Control Panel (for example I have Nvidia) you're gonna want to find the Vertical Sync setting for Sims 3 and turn it ON. Then click "Apply." That will keep your fps at 60 the way it's supposed to. Cause if your fps goes higher than that while playing Sims 3 its no bueno for your computer...
    It can fry either your graphics card or your Hard Drive, I forget which.
    edited September 2022
    Double posted for some reason :confused:
    @emorrill - my gameplay framerate is essentially 42fps. It spikes upwards when I go to save my game and exit the game.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Evidently Sims 3 Store don't like Firefox. ~grumpy stare~
    I used Firefox to download the file up there, so I guess it has to do with your settings.

edited September 2022
    @emorrill thank you, yes, I think I will have to live with the nose-effect since I refuse to uninstall my sliders :D

@Turjan Thank you :D

Two more family updates from Sunset Valley :

Christopher Steel is now an old man. He and Emma have 3 children. The eldest, Oliver, is grown and married Violet Langerak.
    52394956190_9e61fd4d58_b.jpg

Bob Wainwright, son of Boyd and Susan Wainwright (the original Wainwrights) is married to Clarissa (Langerak). They have two daughters, Collette and Claire.
    52394016367_9ed2a0568e_b.jpg
    @Nikkei_Simmer Oh ok. Whoopsie. :p I just wanted to make sure you knew so you didn't hurt "Tiny." ;):kissing_heart:

@ZhakiraP Yeah I get it. I kinda refuse to remove my sliders too. :p
    @emorrill & @Turjan -
    Turjan wrote: »
    Evidently Sims 3 Store don't like Firefox. ~grumpy stare~
    I used Firefox to download the file up there, so I guess it has to do with your settings.

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! I hate messing with my "settings"...I get sooooo confused with computer stuff.
    This is me:
    troglodyte.jpg
    ...when it comes to computers.

I had to dig into stuff to find out what Intel's version of VSync was... That took about an hour and a half of searching. Evidently no-one else had the "spike" in fps when they save Sims 3 and exit out. But eventually I found out how to enable monitor syncing with the graphics card (I also found out I have an Intel HD 530 (integrated graphics chip) on my CPU which makes it an APU...yet again.

Dis computer schtuff is for da boids...
    weirdo-bugs-bunny.gif
    I wish I could get a good screenshot of one of my sim banging his head on the keyboard (and insert that here).
    GYZ6Ak9.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top