Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Scenarios are a waste of time

2...Next

Comments

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I find scenarios useless if I want to play a specific scenario I will do one myself and it won't only be locked to base game content. So many things this game needs and they waste resources on this
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • sunnycakessunnycakes Posts: 75 Member
    I literally never play scenarios. I mean, I have played a scenario once, but that was just for practice for the 100 Baby Challenge I was doing at the time. Side note, I kinda abandoned that challenge, I have not played my 100 Baby save for months now. Anyways, while scenarios are a fun concept, they really just give your sim(s) a couple aspiration points or whatever they're called and you end up forgetting about the scenario. EA really puts a lot of time and effort into adding more scenarios and fixing bugs for the scenarios, when they can just use that time and hard work on improving and updating the game itself.

My opinion on scenarios: Scenarios are cool and fun, I actually really like the concept. It's just that EA spends way too much work on the scenarios, when they should just be a side thing for players to enjoy along with the actual game. I like that there are no pack scenarios as far as I know, correct me if pack scenarios are actually a thing. I doubt it though. Scenarios should be a side thing for simmers like me to do when they want to, they shouldn't be basically the entire game.

That is just my own opinion, feel free to disagree.

And when I looked at patch notes here on the Sim Forums and the first update I saw was entirely for scenarios. And yeah, there were a good number of bug fixes, but when it comes to updates, bug fixes really are just a secondary thing that although it's nice, it is almost never the main part of the update. And you might be thinking: "But it's okay to have an update entirely focused on scenarios!" and that's true. But the majority of updates recently have had something to do with scenarios. Sometimes it's whole new scenarios, sometimes it's changes to existing scenarios, and sometimes it's bug fixes for scenarios. It's like 80% of the updates. Which that alone proves EA puts way too much focus on the scenarios. And it goes even further when you consider that they literally added an entire page and logo to the Sims 4 home screen just for the scenarios. EA is actually more willing to make a small update to the scenarios then to add features and fix broken packs that we have been begging for for YEARS. Sometimes it's months or weeks, but still.

Summary of this 3 paragraph essay: EA is obsessed with the Sims 4 scenarios.
    Be yourself; life is not about pleasing others, it's about pleasing yourself. Don't try to please others if it makes you uncomfortable. If others judge you for who you are, ignore them. If what you do makes you happy, continue.
  • sunnycakessunnycakes Posts: 75 Member
    > @SheriSim57 said:
    > I didn’t want the scenario’s to begin with, but I started a new scenario rotational save and I have enjoyed it. Part of the fun is in creating the families for it.
    >
    > That being said I would still prefer bug fixes, rather than new scenario’s and them having to spend time fixing them. And these new scenario’s have premade sims…… making the families was half of the fun.

Exactly! They don't even let you decide if you want to use the premade family or if you want to make one yourself.
    Be yourself; life is not about pleasing others, it's about pleasing yourself. Don't try to please others if it makes you uncomfortable. If others judge you for who you are, ignore them. If what you do makes you happy, continue.
  • CarmineCarmine Posts: 84 Member
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I like scenarios, its fun to switch it up and have a definitive goal to aim towards. I did Aliens Stole My Parents the other day and I had a lot of fun. It was a bit janky though, one time the kidnapped mom called and asked her daughter whether she should have a baby, lmao.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Carmine wrote: »
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I like scenarios, its fun to switch it up and have a definitive goal to aim towards. I did Aliens Stole My Parents the other day and I had a lot of fun. It was a bit janky though, one time the kidnapped mom called and asked her daughter whether she should have a baby, lmao.

That happened to me too XD "Hey now, you're being held captive by aliens, didn't they confiscate your phone?!" I thought that scenario was a tad sloppy, the parents still got phone calls, especially from the nanny I had to hire, which I fired after a couple hours. Parents also added things to their queue, needs dropped etc. To be honest, I think they should be in stasis, full needs, nobody can call them, THEY can't call nobody and so on. The mother even showed up in "person" once, after loading in the lot. Was a fun run, though, despite the weirdness.

Anyway, I quite like scenarios. I like doing challenges, but can never stick to the "rules", either because I don't remember them, or the challenge has too MANY rules, and many I don't find fun or enjoyable. I like to have a sense of direction, goals to work towards. It helps to have a list of those goals in game, not having to rely on outside sources for information.

Of course there are scenarios I don't enjoy that much. So far, Making money and Power couple are two I've had "in progress" for many many months. I just never play the game just to make money for my sims, its utterly boring. And Bussiness career is utterly boring too. it could have been almost any career but that one. Mostly because its Charisma based, and thats the most tedious skill ever, in any iteration of the game.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    I intended to play them all and started with honeymooners. I ended up just continuing with that family into a new save game.

I think when you complete one you should get a tick on the scenario screen. The scenario should maybe just end on completion. And maybe it could give a better reward, I think my sims just got some aspiration points.

I would make it so each scenario you do, you get a tick and some points. And those points can be used in a scenario shop to buy CAS or Build/Buy items on your account.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    What I don't like about them is that you have to start a new household to play it, I play with one family as in all my sims have an relation to each other, I think scenarios would of been more better if certain events triggering it asking you if you want to do an scenario with the sims you already have
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Nikkih wrote: »
    What I don't like about them is that you have to start a new household to play it, I play with one family as in all my sims have an relation to each other, I think scenarios would of been more better if certain events triggering it asking you if you want to do an scenario with the sims you already have

If an excisting household is eligible, you will be able to start the scenario with them. Most scenarios require a spesific setup of sims, like "Aliens stole my parents" need a teen, a child and at least 2 adults as parents. You can have a full household otherwise. "Too many toddlers" need at least 1 adult and 3 toddlers.

What I've done, to not "disrupt" my regular saves, is to start a new save just for scenarios. When the scenario is over, I can choose to discard the save, or keep on playing if I want. Depends if my interest is sparked.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    I like scenarios for two reasons.

I only play one family and scenarios give me the opportunity to take a break from my one family one save playstyle and try something different.

I like goal oriented gameplay.

I do like taking a break from my usual style of playing. Scenarios do allow that.

The aliens stole my parents was fun. Sadly Cassandra Goth got expelled from high school and barely interacted with Alexander either. 😂

I wouldn’t play them regularly though. A lot are things you could do yourself as a player.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Carmine wrote: »

Why did I read that only now! This is hilarious, given the circumstances. Imagine the befuddeld alien lab techies, when they are about to pollinate the abductees with an alien baby, but the captive tells him sternly that she needs to clear this up with his her daughter first! And the equally perplexed daughter, when her mom asks her whether she wants a little half-alien sibling!

On topic, I had fun with some challenges, but they provided nothing that a player written challenge couldn't have provided either. I hope one day the developers find the right balance between complexity (not neccessarily challenge/difficulty) and too much railroading.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Unfortunately, I agree, OP. I agree.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • yogurrt_toobyogurrt_toob Posts: 51 Member
    Well it's interesting to see the bugs happening on YouTube too. Lil'Simsie I think just had the gardening bug, where plants revert to dirt piles.
    It's clear with games like Animal Crossing that the future of gaming is linked with social media. People will spend days creating a house just to share photos online for likes.
    My Wedding Stories was a perfect example of where the game is heading. It's main feature is essentially, strictly for this.
    These scenarios I think are an attempt to create this same online engagement.
  • yogurrt_toobyogurrt_toob Posts: 51 Member
    edited October 2022
    I think what can be a little frustrating is seeing so many builders promoting the game like nothing is wrong but they don't actually play, or they use mods to correct things.
    Then you have people who are lucky enough for whatever reason to not experience them, or again, use mods to correct things (like MC control or whatever it's called) act like everything is fine and they love the game and it's all bliss and they want more packs to build with and yadda yadda.

The only way the game will actually get fixed is if EVERYONE is willing to say something or atleast not say it's fine because clearly it isn't to so many.
    Horrible example but someone could be starving and there's a person sitting next to them with a cookie telling people it's fine because they have a cookie. 🙈
  • JustinPhoenixDLCJustinPhoenixDLC Posts: 42 Member
    > @LiELF said:
    > What I don't understand is they can constantly update and bring in new scenarios but they can't do that for main features in the game? Things like clubs, sentiments, traits, likes/dislikes, whims/wants/fears... These are things in the game that should be always expanding for base game, packs and Sim personalities and actually contribute to core gameplay. They treat these things like they're throwaway mechanics but here, have another scenario that you can already play in the game on your own. Scenarios are just repeats of existing gameplay with a name and time stamped on them.

Very well put. I totally agree that some of those features you mentioned need to be expanded. I personally like scenarios because they end up giving me ideas to expand on in my normal game play that I wouldn't have explored otherwise.
    Please bring disabilities to the Sims 4!
    Gallery ID: JusGaminDLC | YouTube Channel
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited October 2022
    I was playing yesterday for the first time in a long time and as soon as I saw them I knew it would just be more shallow hollow game play. I didn't play for long but they didn't affect anything. There was no purpose to them whatsoever. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47hvlwp0ffx14sjoj1eoktbyr4kkte8ae9qsuzipik&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    p6tqefj
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    I like them, BUT !!! I think I would like them more if they worked. Every one I play something goes wrong and ruins it. Right now I was playing the million dollar one, I'm just over $400,000. And what happens? It's gone, the scenario screen just went on vacation or quit.