The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Players to the Base Game and Pack Refreshes

Now, that EA is making the Sims 4 Base Game free to play as of October 18th, I believe that more Pack Refreshes are on the way. Because EA can now justify the costs involved in giving simmers free refreshes to older add-on packs. With potentially a lot more players coming to the base game, Maxis can justify refreshing (and fixing gameplay) packs such as Dine Out, Outdoor Retreat, Get To Work, as well as adding more free updates to the Base Game.

Personally, I am excited with the prospect of new Pack Refreshes. I really want Dine Out and Outdoor Retreat to be both fixed game-wise and new content added.

Especially with Outdoor Retreat, I want the lake to be made swimmable with paddle boats or canoes. I would like sleeping bags and possibly archery and log rolling to be added. It would be nice to have new binoculars with a bird watching collection added. I would also appreciate hiking trails added, as well as a summer camp lot added for scouts with space to add items from the Little Campers Kit. I would also like a community lodge lot added with a swimming pool and indoor seating area with grand fireplace and upright piano, as well as an indoor dancing area, dining area/kitchen, small tv/card game room, and small library/computer area. It would be neat to have the community lodge to be a new multi use lot type so you can decorate it for various festivals like winter or spring/summer fest or seasons without needing to redecorate it every time. There could also be a park rangers nature center that could be a small museum with various collections on display. Ideally, I would like the map to be expanded (adding like more space to the forest area) so these new lots and hiking trails can be added without needing to bulldoze existing lots that came with the original dlc. It would also be nice to have another campground lot with new tents and possible glamping.

Please share your thoughts on the possibility of more Pack Refreshes coming along with any of your ideas for them. Happy Simming!

Comments

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    It's really hard to think of any pack that does not need a refresh they managed to give every pack the bare minimum, so if making the base game free brings in new players I hope they do refresh older content to entice new players to buy those packs.

- Get to Work integrate and open up hospitals and the police station to normal game play and fix the poor attempt at retail that did not even offer a working cash register about 7 years since that pack was released and I have yet to have people chase me around with a tablet in a store. Also add in retail game play such as changing rooms and interactive clothing racks and displays and store shelving that can hold many objects

- Outdoor Retreat is missing 3 important things hiking trials, open water and a summer camp type experience for kids and teens

- Dine Out is missing creative control forcing you to run it only as a manager locking you out of playing waiter hostess or cook and forcing you to hire npcs not family members or your own Sims you want to see there

- Get Famous world is missing beach front property and if any world should have had a carnival at the pier this would be it

- Island Living needs more activities to do on this Island seeing as "Island Living" is all this pack has to offer and they did not do that right no dive lots for mermaids no surfing climbing trees to collect coconuts or really anything I don't see trash pickup a huge part of living on an Island how boring.

- Snowy escape needs a halfpipe added so its content is not all locked to a few lots

- Cats and Dogs There's really no salvaging this pack since pets are not playable and can't have careers like in older games but at least give us a doghouse. Or maybe they could put some other animals in this pack seeing how bare minimum it is

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited September 2022
    Do we really think TS4 will get long-lasting new players with this change?

No doubt there will be a bump in daily active users in the short-term. But the Sims 4 base game is quite empty by itself. I don't know how successful the base will be at hooking in new players to buy DLC.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • 12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    Base game and pack refreshes?! But what about a stuff pack and an expansion pack? It's currently 2022 and you know it
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    For pack refreshes, I hope they add swimming to Granite falls, the beach in Windenburg, snd add a few lots on the beach in Del Sol Valley with swimming also open swimming in . Oasis Springs lake.….. and they need a big pack refresh for Get to work, one of the things I want to see added is a lot trait like simple clothing, where you have to pay to open up pieces of clothing, jewelry etc. that you don’t have.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    Base game and pack refreshes?! But what about a stuff pack and an expansion pack? It's currently 2022 and you know it
    As long as this game continues there will be new packs not sure why you see people wanting refreshes as a bad thing. Some very important packs were released early on and are missing out on major content such as Outdoor Retreat camping world has no open water that world feels obsolete when I could go to one of the new worlds and have a better camping experience something is wrong. I can never understand why they gave us Get to Work and did it so poorly some of us remember Open for Business it's hard to accept something so basic after playing that masterpiece.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,415 Member
    edited September 2022
    I don't see how making the base game free leads to more pack refreshes. DLC were and still will be additional content to sell, nothing changed that part of the franchise.

Don't get me wrong. I would love pack refreshes to update older packs and get them to reach more of their potential. I just don't think making the base game free increases the odds of pack refreshes happening.

If they do a refresh I hope it will be a realm of magic refresh with magic for children, a magic lot trait for magical places outside of the magic realm and pet dragons.
  • Mistletoe143Mistletoe143 Posts: 2,803 Member
    I believe that there is potential for pack refreshes, because if there is an influx of new players, pack refreshes are a way to attract the older dlc to both the new and current players. For example, the reason that there was a pack refresh for Spa Day is because they wanted to advertise new buyers for the dlc. But if you are marketing to an older player base -- people who have been playing for a few years already, they are likely to already own the dlc. So the customer base is a lot smaller and it is harder to obtain new revenue for the dlc to justify the extra work on new content and marketing costs all for free.

More base game players equals more potential buyers for the older expansions and game packs. Also, although I do not know anything about coding, I believe that it might be easier to update content on older dlc instead of starting from scratch with brand-new expansions and game packs. So, as it seems they might be limiting brand-new expansions to once a year and 2-3 brand-new game packs a year, pack refreshes might be a lucrative way to use talent, time, and resources. Especially, in this time when many people are still working from home and it is hard to coordinate team work from a distance. Plus free content is always a great hit with current players, along with being a goodwill gesture to those who have already spent so much on the existing game.
  • RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    I didn’t know this was happening! The Spa Day refresh was a nice surprise when it happened.

It’s interesting to see what you guys want in terms of fixes. I certainly agree that the Dine Out gameplay could use some love. It could be SO good but I find it difficult to use the restaurants as a diner because of the AI problems.

Other than that, I’d like to see new plots added to some worlds. Specifically the smaller ones like Forgotten Hollow and Granite Falls

My number one wish though is an overhaul of playable ghosts.I’d looove to see them get the kind of attention some other occults have had with new abilities like possession, teleporting as a standard movement or gaining the ability to become temporarily corporeal. Plus adding them to CAS :smile:

Overall though it’s really good news that any kind of refresh project is on the cards!