Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I Get a Fresh Game in Sims 2

telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
I reinstalled the game thinking I could get a fresh start that way, but it still loaded into my old neighborhood. It's been years since I've played, so I want to start completely new. I'm guessing I need to remove some save files?

Comments

• Options
    IamJIamJ Posts: 44 Member
    I don’t know what you have done to do that because when you reinstall the game you have to actively insert your backup in order to keep it, so this sounds very very strange. I can only think of two things here:
    1. You didn’t actually reinstall the game, something went wrong.
    2. You played with one of the default neighborhoods and you think that they are your old sim game but whatever you did in them when you actually played in them isn’t actually there anymore.

The thing is, your neighborhoods are in your documents -> the sims 2 -> neighborhoods
    All of your neighborhoods have separate folders there, and when you reinstall the game the entire The Sims 2-folder is overwritten with the default and you have to manually insert your backed up neighborhood in order to get it back, so your game must not have reinstalled properly.

In order to start a new fresh neighborhood though, you simply click on “create a custom neighborhood” in game. If you want to delete any old neighborhood you can simply do that in game as well, even the maxis ones. So unless your game is corrupt you don’t really have to reinstall it, but if you tried to and something went wrong I would still check that out before playing.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Thank you! I truly don't know what happened. I may just take everything out and try again.

Edit: Although apparently I can't do that as Origin looks blank. Looks like I can't play either version of Sims right now.

I know it is my old Pleasantville because Bella is resurrected and living with Mortimer. Cassandra is married to Don Lothario and has several children. A family my son made ten years ago is also living there.
  • Options
    Definitely sounds like something is wrong with your install. I don’t have it in origin and never have so I can’t help you with that. I have my old 20 year old discs. But from what I gather a lot of people seem to sometimes have trouble with origin, so it must have something to do with that. Hopefully someone else here can help you, good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you! I just went ahead and made a new family in CAS for now. I might just run with it.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    The game is installed in Origin Games, not just Origin.

If you didn't delete the old saves when you uninstalled, they'll still be there in your Documents folder.

You can go to Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection and delete the Neighborhoods folder (since you don't want the old ones). Once you restart the game should, should regenerate a new Neighborhoods folder.

If you just want to replace certain neighborhoods like Pleasantview, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Double Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods and copy N001 (do not delete).
    Go to your Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Neighborhoods folder and delete the N001 folder, then paste the new N001.

• Options
    @Rflong7 Thank you! I will try that once origin is working again for me. If I don't just decide to leave it as is.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Did you uninstall the game already? :(
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Did you uninstall the game already? :(

Just the first time that didn't work, but I didn't delete the neighborhood folder when I did that. So I will try again when I am ready to play, or I might just go ahead and play in the old neighborhood with a new family. Origin wasn't working correctly for me yesterday, but after restarting my computer, it seems to be fine now. I am still waiting on mod updates for Sims 4. Plus I'm a little afraid of the relationship mess that's going on there, so I thought I might play Sims 2 instead.

Edit: OK, I decided to move my current neighborhoods folder (with my downloads) to the desktop file just in case I miss them. So I'm going to go ahead and uninstall. I had so many mods in my old game, and I'm not sure what all of them do anymore. And I had so much alpha CC! I can reinstall the mods I remember as essential and put others in as I see a need.

Thanks so much!
  • Options
    It worked! I have a fresh install and can now have the fun of setting everything up. Thank you, @Rflong7 an @IamJ !
  • Options
    telemwill wrote: »
    It worked! I have a fresh install and can now have the fun of setting everything up. Thank you, @Rflong7 an @IamJ !

Tanks 😂 I couldn’t really help since I am unfamiliar with origin and it seems to work differently than it does with discs, but I’m glad it’s working for you either way! 🤗
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    I can't play at all the game says low disk space but there is plenty of space left. when run it has no neighborhoods