Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinions on Goth makeover?

1235...Next

Comments

• CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    edited September 2022
    So little care and attention was given to premades, I delete them all. I do, however, give them appropriate make overs and put them in my tray. MCCC then uses them as randoms whenever the game feels the need to make a sim. I enjoy seeing them walking around as the mailman or gardener or the pizza delivery person. Bella delivering pizza was funny, I pretended that she was on a mission or something.

As far as the Goths go, this makeover is even worse than the original, IMO. Mortimer has this giant hook nose now, he looks hideous. Poor Bella is supposed to be the iconic symbol of Sim beauty and they made her ugly. The skin tones are all wrong. They don't look Middle Eastern or whatever they were supposed to be. There are tons of lighter skinned Middle Eastern people, not sure why they thought that darkening the skin would fix the white washing. It was more about the features, to me, than the skin tone.

Don't even get me started on Alex. What did they do to him? He grows up and looks like a troll came along and swapped him.

I'm not even sure why they felt the need to "fix" the Goths when it's the Caliente family that's all wrong, including Don.

ETA: What exactly is their nationality? I thought Mortimer was Italian and Bella was middle Eastern, then I thought about the names and why was she even named Bella? Isn't that Italian? No wonder they're a hot mess.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,821 Member
    Maybe i should post this in unpopular opinion... I dont like them at all, i feel they killed a classic ! They look like different characters. Sorry !
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    I'm fine with Bella and Cassandra being repaired to their TS1/TS2 iterations, but they went the wrong way with 'fixing' Alexander, who now no longer resembles his Sims 2 simself. I just use Plumbella's Goth fam. (Or was it FakeGamerGirls? One of `em.)

I don't know why they made Alexnder darker.Him and Casandra did not need to have the same skin corlor.Light mixed kids exist and can have a lighter tone than their siblings.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    My Bella has taken back her maiden name & has no family. She's my time traveler in all my different timeline game saves. (That's over 5 different game saves) :p
  • Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    I prefer the older version of them but honestly I'm actually tired of seeing them as the regular families in my game so I delete them like a lot of premades. I actually found I could make my preferred versions of Bella and Nancy Landgraab by using the Maxis class for HSY on the gallery as a base and ageing them both up to young adult, and no I don't have HSY and don't need it to do that. Just gave Bella her classic hair and dress, fixed all the outfits then increased weight a bit on both and then moved them into a lot as unlikely roomies. Works as a kind of alternate reality version of them and since they're quite different in personality it makes it funnier.
  • EleriEleri Posts: 534 Member
    edited November 2022
    I come from a mixed ethnic family. My twin brother and I favor the opposite parent to the point that we don't even look like we're related. For me, seeing them dark wash the iconic mixed family (originally mixed race, later mixed color) felt like a slap in the face, as though families like mine are somehow unrealistic or undeserving of representation.

"But, didn't you object to the whitewashed Sims 4 Goths?" you ask. Yes and no. On the one hand, I usually went in and fixed Cassandra to make her look like her Sims 2 self. On the other hand, I didn't think the white washing was deliberate. I thought they had used random genetics to create a teenage daughter from Mortimer and Bella and she just ended up favoring her father's coloring. I didn't think that someone behind the scenes had said, "Oh, no! She's too dark! Lighten her up! We can't have this!" With the new versions, someone clearly decided that the original Goth family from Sims 1 and 2 was "too mixed" and they all needed to be darkened. That's offensive.

I'm going to go into a Goth family history now, just to get at what they're supposed to look like.

Mortimer: Mortimer is half German, half English. Always has been. I know that his mother Cornelia wasn't assigned a maiden name until Sims 2, but if you read her bio from the original Sims game, she's clearly an old-time British aristocrat (think Maggie Smith from Downton Abbey). Mortimer was never a POC. I know this doesn't automatically mean he can't have a tan, but it also means that there's no reason that he's "supposed" to have a tan. Starting in the first Sims game, Mortimer had a light complexion that contrasted with his black hair in a way that gave him low-key goth/vampire vibes. This was a part of his signature and the earlier Sims 4 Mortimer captured this pretty well. They should have left him as he was.

Bella: Bella's had a conflicting history. In the first Sims game, she was East Asian (it's in her code). I would not have minded if the revamp had brought her back to her Asian roots. At the same time, I understand that many people are more attached to the Sims 2 version of Bella. In Sims 2 they decided to make Bella ethno-racially ambiguous and gave her an English maiden name. The fact is we have no idea what ethnicity Sims 2 Bella is, but her skin tone was in the same ball park as her skin tone from Sims 1, so she was still dark tan/brown. She basically had a similar skin tone in the original Sims 4 family, although the sheen from her makeup made her face look lighter than it was. I don't think the new Bella is better or worse than the original Sims 4 Bella, just different.

Cassandra: Cassandra has historically had the same skin tone as Bella. This was true in both Sims 1 and Sims 2. I actually like the new Cassandra more than the original Sims 4 version.

Alexander: Alexander was introduced in Sims 2. He had the exact same skin tone as his father, as did Alexander in the original Sims 4 family. I can attest to the fact that this isn't "unrealistic." Now, I wouldn't have minded if they made him just a few shades darker than Mortimer this time around, to reflect the fact that we have a much greater variety of skin tones than we did in Sims 2. Making him the same color as Bella, on the other hand, is dark washing.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • octotigeroctotiger Posts: 64 Member
    I like the makeover. I like the darker skin tones, but Alexander could have been lighter. I agree with the simmer above me, in that mixed race people are not just a medium or light brown. Mixed race people can be very light and dark in skin, too.

It's just my opinion, but the Sims 4 needs personality points like the Sims 2, too.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    edited November 2022
    Eleri wrote: »
    I come from a mixed ethnic family. My twin brother and I favor the opposite parent to the point that we don't even look like we're related. For me, seeing them dark wash the iconic mixed family (originally mixed race, later mixed color) felt like a slap in the face, as though families like mine are somehow unrealistic or undeserving of representation.

"But, didn't you object to the whitewashed Sims 4 Goths?" you ask. Yes and no. On the one hand, I usually went in and fixed Cassandra to make her look like her Sims 2 self. On the other hand, I didn't think the white washing was deliberate. I thought they had used random genetics to create a teenage daughter from Mortimer and Bella and she just ended up favoring her father's coloring. I didn't think that someone behind the scenes had said, "Oh, no! She's too dark! Lighten her up! We can't have this!" With the new versions, someone clearly decided that the original Goth family from Sims 1 and 2 was "too mixed" and they all needed to be darkened. That's offensive.

I'm going to go into a Goth family history now, just to get at what they're supposed to look like.

Mortimer: Mortimer is half German, half English. Always has been. I know that his mother Cornelia wasn't assigned a maiden name until Sims 2, but if you read her bio from the original Sims game, she's clearly an old-time British aristocrat (think Maggie Smith from Downton Abbey). Mortimer was never a POC. I know this doesn't automatically mean he can't have a tan, but it also means that there's no reason that he's "supposed" to have a tan. Starting in the first Sims game, Mortimer had a light complexion that contrasted with his black hair in a way that gave him low-key goth/vampire vibes. This was a part of his signature and the earlier Sims 4 Mortimer captured this pretty well. They should have left him as he was.

Bella: Bella's had a conflicting history. In the first Sims game, she was East Asian (it's in her code). I would not have minded if the revamp had brought her back to her Asian roots. At the same time, I understand that many people are more attached to the Sims 2 version of Bella. In Sims 2 they decided to make Bella ethno-racially ambiguous and gave her an English maiden name. The fact is we have no idea what ethnicity Sims 2 Bella is, but her skin tone was in the same ball park as her skin tone from Sims 1, so she was still dark tan/brown. She basically had a similar skin tone in the original Sims 4 family, although the sheen from her makeup made her face look lighter than it was. I don't think the new Bella is better or worse than the original Sims 4 Bella, just different.

Cassandra: Cassandra has historically had the same skin tone as Bella. This was true in both Sims 1 and Sims 2. I actually like the new Cassandra more than the original Sims 4 version.

Alexander: Alexander was introduced in Sims 2. He had the exact same skin tone as his father, as did Alexander in the original Sims 4 family. I can attest to the fact that this isn't "unrealistic." Now, I wouldn't have minded if they made him just a few shades darker than Mortimer this time around, to reflect the fact that we have a much greater variety of skin tones than we did in Sims 2. Making him the same color as Bella, on the other hand, is dark washing.

I really don't understand why they were advent giving Alexander and Casandra the sims skin color.Just because your siblings does not mean you will share the same skin tone.