Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 focused aim & execution on inclusivity /representation - helpful or harmful?

1235...Next

Comments

• PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I neither like the execution and its aim - Its not something I want and the executions has been unsatisfactory
    One can not be inclusive to all people and have a interesting games, there are simply to many boxes to check. A famous quot is "If you write about a needle, some one eyed person will complain"
  • SkipInklingSkipInkling Posts: 84 Member
    I like the aim but not the execution - Its something I want but want it done differently
    Peral wrote: »
    One can not be inclusive to all people and have a interesting games, there are simply to many boxes to check. A famous quot is "If you write about a needle, some one eyed person will complain"

While I get what you're saying, having more options, more interactions, diverse environments, diverse music styles, new types of clothing, new types of food, this makes the game more complex and interesting.

I can't stand it when I watch a speed build and the Simmer makes a beige, American-styled, suburban house...and then in their next stream/video makes a beige, American-styled, suburban house, and then in their next video makes a beige, American-styled, suburban house.

Variety is the spice of life. And here's another famous quote (from Star Trek)...

MIRANDA: The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    SPOCK: And the ways our differences combine to create meaning and beauty.

• sawyersawyer Posts: 2 New Member
    I like the aim but not the execution - Its something I want but want it done differently
    I agree with the aim but the execution of sexual orientations is very much lacking, particularly with regard to bisexuality and how it messes up saved games. Sexual orientation can't be set for preexisting sims, and despite the announcements stating that sims will behave as they did before the update, that is not the case. The default orientation appears to be set to heterosexual for preexisting sims. I attempted to play a save with a married gay couple and keep getting error messages that their sexual orientations are incompatible when woohoo is selected.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited September 2022
    I neither like the execution and its aim - Its not something I want and the executions has been unsatisfactory
    sawyer wrote: »
    I agree with the aim but the execution of sexual orientations is very much lacking, particularly with regard to bisexuality and how it messes up saved games. Sexual orientation can't be set for preexisting sims, and despite the announcements stating that sims will behave as they did before the update, that is not the case. The default orientation appears to be set to heterosexual for preexisting sims. I attempted to play a save with a married gay couple and keep getting error messages that their sexual orientations are incompatible when woohoo is selected.

I'm not happy with this either. It should've been set to sims liking the opposite sex and then people can change it to what they want. Reasons I'm not happy with it? I just started a new game for high school.

1. I had my male sim go after two female sims and keep in mind that there are only around5-6 or so female sims for him to go after in highschool and they both turned him down because they didn't have that orientation because they are probably set to both or whatever. This keeps me from playing any sandbox and keeps me from playing the game I want.
    2. My married couple are the parents of kid in number 1. The wife comes home with a whim to become romantic with a female co-worker. Unless I really am going for that cheating storyline and 9.5/10, I'm not, then I don't appreciate that occurring in my family that I want to keep faithful. I never had this happen before and now you can't x out what you don't like on the whims anymore. I don't want my married female trying to start stuff with other sims and I really don't want them with the opposite sex. If some like it in their games then that is their option, but it seems like forcing when all sims are set to like both sim types instead of the way it was.

As the simmer stated above, there is no way that what the announcement said is true; the sims don't act as they did before this orientation was added. I'd hate to think that every single sim I create or play with that I have to go back and change their orientation. Just like with cc and mods, it should be optional and turned as it was before. This gives anyone who wants to try different things the chance to do so, but also for married sims or strait sims to be attracted to strait sims. As one simmer said, it is preset and you can't change it once it is set. As if CAS and building/fixing a house didn't take enough time out of gameplay. I didn't care about them adding options; I do care about it being forced and changing the way a sandbox game works and this game is getting away from being in the players hands and more scripted. I want to play the way I want to.

With my teen striking out and my wife sim thinking about gay sex at the office, I just turned it off. It isn't the senario that I wanted to play. I wanted my teen sim to pick out from the girls the one he wanted and now that can't happen at all. I wanted a simple family life with a loving, faithful couple with kids and that isn't happening. Just frustrating. It should be set to opposites attract and allow simmers to make the changes in their own games the way they want to. Having sims already in the game turning you down and ruining the gameplay you want isn't a choice; it is my choice being taken away.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I’m all for a game that is very inclusive and accommodating. For a life simulator in this current year, it’s crucial.

But inclusivity shouldn’t be the identity of the game itself. It feels like it’s been such a long, drawn out process in the midst of a very slow and unsatisfactory DLC release schedule. On top of that, they do the same ad campaign over and over again where they proclaim how you can be who you want to be in The Sims. And every time I see that, I cringe.

I don’t look to live vicariously through my Sims in a virtual game. I’m here for a fun game.
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    I put my thoughts somewhere else but I think it’s really great that they have options but I find a few problems personally.

Orientations

‘orientations work just like real life’ - great but this isn’t real life, it’s a game. I think the setting to stop your sim flirting with the gender you don’t like is needed for sure. But I don’t want to have my sim flirt with a female sim and get ‘I like girls, unless you go to manage neighbourhood and change my settings, which I know you’re going to do”.

This is simply the wrong way around - think the setting should be off by default and you can turn it on if you want.

Race

‘Loads of new skin tones and CAS items’ - again great. Really, it is, it’s a fantastic thing. But it now seems like the townies have about 10/100 chance of generating as white, and even if they do they may have a foreign name and dress.

Just like before, this is a ‘go into CAS and change it’ situation.. I’ll come onto it a bit more in a moment.

Body Hair

I think this goes a bit over the top for male sims but again if people want to do the shaving gameplay then fair enough. However for female sims, is this actually a requested feature? Did anyone want it? If so again it’s great. But it should be off by default on all townies because again it’s a ‘go into CAS and change it’ situation.

Pronouns

Don’t see any issue with the implementation of this whatsoever. You can set it to whatever you like and I think you could also just ignore it. It’s pretty much the perfect implementation.

Overall

I feel like an absolutely horrible person going into CAS and making gay sims straight and making black sims white and renaming sims and making hairy sims shave. I really do. I’d rather not have to micromanage so much and personally I think that there could be better options for generating townies. I’m not saying give people the chance to make only white townies or anything, I know there’s a balance. But personally I would like this

- All sims bisexual unless the player sets a preference.
    - All sims have no body hair unless the player chooses to add it, or turns on a preference to add it to townies.
    - White, black and Asian skintones have equal chance of generating with townies. Some of the cultural names and clothes are specific to some of the skin tones.

However though, I do stress I think the options are important and I’m glad they’re there. I just wish they’d give better overall control over it.
  • yogurrt_toobyogurrt_toob Posts: 51 Member
    I like the aim & execution of the goal - It is helpful and both are done well
    Answering the question purely from a queer person's perspective around that topic, I think they've done a good job.
    The Sims was literally the first game I've ever played as a teenager that let me have a boyfriend. The franchise was a sort of pioneer in that regard and I think they've done a good job in atleast trying to adapt as things change further.

I know that the game is coded a certain way and with all the content out now enhancing certain features would be nearly impossible if not incredibly time consuming.

Actually, one of the main reasons why I started playing again was that I saw a post somewhere from the Guru's stating that certain features would NOT be made optional for those who wanted to opt out because they are a part of life 👏
  • NolaHexemNolaHexem Posts: 62 Member
    So, I overall really like it. But the trans portion for me is a bit lacking in the body department and personality development. Like I would like to choose top from bottom. The ability to wear male clothes with a female top doesn't work. you can't have a fully flat chest. Sure, you can change to a male sim, but.........that makes the sim male. I would like a more realistic SPECTRUM of trans-ality. With the personality development, there could be a lot more done here, how other sims react (not negatively because I don't like that), but that trans sims can come together with shared interest or other conversational aspects. There could also be quite more diversity in celebrations for minorities - coming out parties, POC celebrations, etc (I think they over covered Asain festivals though).
  • NolaHexemNolaHexem Posts: 62 Member
    @hartbleat
    hartbleat wrote: »
    My major issue with the way The Sims 4 handles diversity is how cosmetic and surface-level it is, a point I've seen mentioned several times in this thread. It's an issue that's deeply entwined with the game itself, but still particularly disconcerting when it comes to topics of inclusion and the treatment and handling of marginalised identities.

Let's go through some of the major points of diversity and see how much impact each update has on the game, and how well the added content functions.

LGBTQ+ Content
    The Sims has always been more progressive with LGBTQ+ content than most other life-simulators, though with most focus on cisgender Sims. Since it's implementation, it's always been a very 'background' part of the game/s, with all Sims just being functionally bisexual/pansexual. Some of them had gender preferences, but you could change these through cheats, mods, or just regular gameplay. Not really indicative of the actual LGBT experience, but you could create your own stories around this. Unfortunately, in previous games, there's been little in the way of transgender content without cheats or mods.

Now, TS4 has definitely taken some good steps forwards. But I feel like it's still largely surface-level. I do enjoy the Gender Customisation options in CAS. Mostly, I use this to adjust pregnancy and toilet use options. I would love to play with the masculine/feminine frames and fashion choices, but they're largely broken. It's hard to find any clothing that doesn't look strange on a feminine-framed male Sim, or masculine-framed female Sim. It just seems like their rigs and bodies have been frankensteined together, in a way that doesn't account for how clothing interacts with their frame.

It's also notable that, despite the Gender Customisation options being pushed as a step towards 'gender diversity', there isn't really much 'diversity' there at all. It's still a heavy binary. Do you want to be male, or female? Do you want to be masculine, or feminine? Do you want broad shoulders and a square face, or curves and a round face? For some reason, breasts are linked to the Sim's main gender option. There's no option for transgender men (like myself) who haven't had top surgery. If I wanted to accurately represent my body type, I'd have to let the game gender me as 'female'.

I could just set the pronouns to he/him/his, but it still feels odd. I love the new pronoun features, but why are we acting like adding they/them to a Sim makes them nonbinary... when the game still makes you choose a binary option for their gender? Especially with the new sexuality system... why should a nonbinary Sim be locked out of romance with certain Sims just because I had to make an aesthetic choice between 'male' or 'female'? It's weird!

Being a transgender sim, or being a gay sim, continues to just be... an arbitrary choice. There's no gameplay integration. My Sims cannot transition without teleporting to CAS (with no options for surgery scars to even aesthetically represent their transition). My Sims cannot come out to their family, or face homophobia, because EA has decided that these experiences don't fit their hyper-positive world. What this produces is an extremely sanitised version of the LGBTQ+ experience. Now, I realise that asking EA to spend a long amount of type developing LGBTQ+ content is not really reasonable, but at the very least I want them to stop advertising it as a 'feature' of TS4. If they're going to pat themselves on the back for inclusivity, they have to actually include us, and not just relegate our community's culture and history and life to couple toggles in CAS.

Race and Ethnicity Content
    Obligatory 'I'm a white guy' statement here. This isn't going to be as detailed as the section above, because I have less personal experience here. I do find a lot of the same issues here, though. While I appreciate the aesthetic diversity of TS4, it also seems like that's where it ends. According to several critiques I've read by Simmers of colour, half the time, it's not even pulled off well to begin with.

Uneven skintones, even after several 'skintone updates' (thank god for the limited customisation of the skin tones now, even if it feels a bit late for that). Hairstyles that are just straight up inaccurate. No choices to lock or toggle certain content for randomised Sims, so you can have the game churn out a mish-mash of cultural clothing on some random white Sim with green locs. There's also an issue as to some cultural content being locked behind paywalls. I understand things like needing Snowy Escape if you want to grab some extra kimonos or something, but why lock so much of this content away from Base-Game players?

There's also an issue with branding your game by using it's diversity as a selling point, especially if the range of cultures represented is somewhat niche. We seem to have a lot of South-Asian, East-Asian, South-American, and Polynesian content, because that's what certain packs have focused on. But that's not the entire world. Again- hard to represent everyone, I know, but it's also something I've seen come up a lot in this thread.

Religion
    Okay. I understand wanting to keep religion out of your game. Believe me, I do. Much like politics, religion is a hot-button issue. However... I don't think it would be too hard to include some stuff the game currently lacks. For many people, religion is a huge part of their life. Pretending it doesn't exist is strange when there's such a huge focus on diversity for the game's branding.

I don't think it would be too much of an issue to include some minor, unobtrusive elements to the game. Maybe a rabbithole church that Sims can go to on days of worship. Or a prayer mat they can use. Definitely, have the option for dietary restrictions... not just to integrate religion (though it is strange to see hijabi townies eating steak), but as a place to put some of the bulky, weird CAS traits, like 'Vegetarian' or 'Lactose Intolerant'. Shouldn't be too big of a deal, you just have to use the systems already in place with the aforementioned trait, but apply them to... say... beef or pork products.

Disability
    I have a lot to say about this one, but I'll try and keep it brief- my comment is already long enough. So... why is there no option for any sort of disability in the Sims? I'm not even talking about things that would be tricky to integrate, such as wheelchair-using Sims needing their own animation cycles. But the things that we either already have the tools for, or could just be integrated on an aesthetic level.

Why do we not have prosthetic limbs? Hearing aids? Eyepatches? We even have this whole emotion system, but no way for Sims to develop or inherit conditions that may affect their mood (Depression, Anxiety, etc.) All of these would be pretty simple to do, either by creating CAS items or adding some hidden traits.

Even if you... are not the biggest fan of diversity in the Sims, are you telling me that you never wanted to make a Sim with a cool bionic arm? Don't lie to yourself.

In an attempt to make the world of TS4 ultra-positive, EA has made it so TS4 can't represent any 'real' disease or injury. But the lives and existence of disabled people isn't a blemish on a sunny world. If you really want to make the Sims diverse, why continually skip over the disabled community? It's just... frustrating.

Anyway. Rant over!

So much this. So much.

• Bren91Bren91 Posts: 298 Member
    edited October 2022
    I don’t believe this kind of thing will ever please everyone, I think it’s fine for people to feel their inclusiveness is in the game. But I don’t feel like it’s the sims creators responsibility to make you feel included. The sims is a game based on creativity and imagination.

I would argue and say much of it still requires imagination, and to make it not require imagination and have every inclusivity included and set in stone, kind of takes away from that. their never going to please everyone and I feel the harder they try the more their digging themselves a grave into more ridicule of how their not doing enough to be inclusive.

I don’t like how the game is becoming politicized. It’s already everywhere else in the media, movies, tv, can I at least have my sims game, which is suppose to be like a creative escape from the real world not be based around a politicized agenda? It gets old. I’m for being inclusive but honestly I feel they have covered it as much as a game should have too at this point.

There’s sexual Orientation, there’s all skin colors, there’s gender pronouns and options, I mean now i think if you want your sims game to be more inclusive than that, then I sort of believe it’s up to you as they player to make your sims game feel that way. At least with the base game.

Now if you feel like your a real life vampire and want vampires to be included, then buy the vampire game pack for a more inclusive sim world. I’m fine with them making add ons and optional expansions for more game options.

but I don’t feel it has to be a necessary thing to the base game, not more than what it now has. And I think if they keep trying to make it even more inclusive then it has to be then they are going to regret it and they will draw in more negativity then positivity from players and critics.

It will also create drawbacks and limit the game if it’s too woke. Which I’m sorry but I think it has already. I think the creators are more worried about offending their fans than creating a good game with dark humor or more mature themes.

In the end it will be the down fall of this game or the next if they don’t quit worrying about the woke culture so much. They need to quit trying to please everyone and not politicize it.

This game and the sims 5 desperately needs to push the boundaries more than it has and when I say that I don’t mean diversity and inclusiveness. That’s not the problem with this game in my opinion it never has been. The sims has always been inclusive from day one. When it came out it was controversial because it had same sex relationships in it. For they year 2000. That was ground breaking.

Anyone who says the sims isn’t inclusive and diverse in my opinion hasn’t done their research. The game is known for that. So I’m my opinion it needs to quit trying to appease everyone by inclusion it needs to worry more about the game mechanics and making the game, an actual fun game beyond just CAS.
    My opinion is it’s becoming more harmful then good at this point. Now instead of worrying about “Create A Sim” let’s worry about the game and making it fun to play outside of that.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I’m all for a game that is very inclusive and accommodating. For a life simulator in this current year, it’s crucial.

But inclusivity shouldn’t be the identity of the game itself. It feels like it’s been such a long, drawn out process in the midst of a very slow and unsatisfactory DLC release schedule. On top of that, they do the same ad campaign over and over again where they proclaim how you can be who you want to be in The Sims. And every time I see that, I cringe.

I don’t look to live vicariously through my Sims in a virtual game. I’m here for a fun game. [/ and over again where they proclaim how you can be who you want to be in The Sims. And every time I see that, I cringe.

I don’t look to live vicariously through my Sims in a virtual game. I’m here for a fun game.

I agree.

edited October 2022
    I would like to add Being a gay guy myself I for one am thankful for the inclusive nature of this game. It has always been that for me. Way before the creators made that their main priority. It’s done a fine job at that. Ever since the beginning with the first game in 2000. Now let’s shift the focus on making a fun game. Because I for one am exhausted with this whole notion of it not being that or not being enough of that…it’s a game. Not a campaign.
  • skybird14skybird14 Posts: 90 Member
    I have always wanted to be able to create diverse worlds in my game that reflect the very diverse world we live in but I think where efforts have been made, there is a lot of room for improvement and I feel that other aspects of creating a diverse world have been rather neglected. There is very little CAS that is simple rather than fashion which just doesn't seem to work on the family with mum and dad in their 40s, living in a small town in England. You can dress them in cottage living stuff I suppose but I want to be able to dress them in the kind of clothes that I see on most people of that age group walking around my home town on a Saturday morning. I feel that older sims are neglected, particularly older males and then there is the fact that for me, as a person who grew up on the edge of the Cotswolds, it still feels rather American.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    As has been said by others here, this is a game, not the world we live in. A player, whether they live in Norway or Nigeria, tends to expect the sim population to reflect that of where they live, not some EA imposed dogma. If that takes some sort of adjustable setting, so be it.

Side note, why does a sim named Yamamoto look like a Swede? This sort of detail issue has been around since TS2.
  • LadyKare64LadyKare64 Posts: 24 Member
    I'm all for people being themselves and expressing that, but it does seem to be taking over everything.

The whole pronoun part isn't even really used in the game, they speak Simlish so you don't even know they are using the pronouns.

The Sims has always been a great game of inclusion, your Sim can be any color, any personality, real or fantasy themed race, etc...

The Sims have always been inclusive, it does seem like EA is focusing on political and not just having fun. I come to the game to get away for the world, now I cannot even play the game without the world leaking in.

So I just create and share, not play the social part of the game that I loved. (sigh)

Well, I'm sorry if my venting is too much. I am just a people person and I Love that our world is full of such an amazing variety of people. I hate that the focus is being drawn away from that and is making us focus on only a few. It breaks my heart. We are all amazing!