Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    GAH! These wants and fears are the single most annoying thing in the game ATM. I finally finished rebuilding all the worlds and have moved onto making over my 150 townie sims (plus 10 pets). My elders have lost their minds. A 5-star retired "Silver Screen" actress who has the world at her beckoning is scared of the dark and dying. Aging is off, aging is always off, they will NEVER die. Her husband is also constantly terrified, I gave them the brave traits hoping that would fix it. Nope. They're scared of their shadows, basically.

Then I keep turning it off and every time I switch households or exit the game, it's back on.

What the heck kind of nonsense is this? Why does it keep toggling back ON?!?!??! I want it OFF!

I want whims back and I hated whims and never used them.

ETA: WHAT?!?! Likes/dislikes trigger want/fears? I finally accepted how intrusive and annoying these things are and allowed my sims to have them only to find out that they're now a part of a glitch? GAH.

Truly? If so, there's hope. I used to use the Whims. I liked how we could save two of the three to help forward the points given. Now, we can't really turn them off. We can't pin the ones we want and dismiss the others. It's crazy-insane and I don't like being forced into something I never asked for. Hope you're correct and this is an unfortunate glitch.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NeodarksideNeodarkside Posts: 29 Member
    I really do hope the Want to Break up with (SIM) gets fixed. The desire to break up with a sim should only happen when their romantic meter begins to dip, NOT WHEN ITS MAXED. I'm tired of having to constantly force feed Sims the reroll Wants potions because the game keeps wanting to split couples or BF/GF's apart. "Sim has fallen out of love with Sim, its only right to break it off." Come on, NO THEY ARE NOT, they just had a romantic evening. FIX THIS.
  • columbia93columbia93 Posts: 319 Member

What I don’t understand is what happens if a fear is actualized? For example, if your sim has a fear of fire and then a fire starts on the lot, are there any consequences? What’s the point?[/quote]

I've just found this thread and will go through it, tho' it's a lot. I actually hate this system. The pair of Sims I'm playing are nice Sims and yet they are constantly angry now, and fearful of having dreams not fulfilled. Constantly.

As to your comment (above), one of my Sims experienced a Fire and developed a fear, had another fire (seems to have them often with the stove as she's "off grid" , even tho' she's a good cook), and now she won't warm herself by the fireplace, which is annoying because it's winter.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,918 Member
    Personally, i had an instance of a sim getting a panic attack and fear of fire after a BBQ fire. Also my sim got fear of water by going for a drink of water in the kitchen sink. There a mod to block fears, but i didnt even really play since i installed it ! And if they change it back, the mod will be useless...
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • NeodarksideNeodarkside Posts: 29 Member
    columbia93 wrote: »
    I've just found this thread and will go through it, tho' it's a lot. I actually hate this system. The pair of Sims I'm playing are nice Sims and yet they are constantly angry now, and fearful of having dreams not fulfilled. Constantly.

I don't mind the system, its better than what it was before... sorta. There were to many whims that would just cycle on repeat, like you could have a family of 6 and want just one of them to be a video editor and blog poster. So you put down a video station and a camera drone. Now every sim in the family keeps getting the whim to "record video with Drone" or "post video". At least now they do somewhat pertain to the Sim and do somewhat aid them in their story. What it DOESN'T do correctly is the constant unfulfilled dreams BS. Like my own post above, my Sim who's maxed out romance with his GF, I used a potion to remove his Want to break up with her, it rolled over to just wanting to speak to his roommate friendly. Within seconds of using it I now got the message, "blah blah blah, its like you are being controlled, looming fear blah blah blah" and then got the looming fear of unfulfilled dreams. The system should allow these wants to be removed like a whim could be and stop making them fear of unfulfilled dreams if you go a day without doing them, some are alot harder than others. Like one Sim just wanted to make enemies, especially with people I really don't want them to be enemies with. And if they DID become enemies, immediately got the want to become friends with them...

The system needs work, I like the actual Wants and even some of the fears, I liked when a Sim burned herself and got a fear of fire, I didn't however like it how she burned her next 7 meals before she finally cooked a decent one. Then trying to actually find a fire to put out to conquer her fear was even harder as it was Summer and most places didn't have fireplaces lit and she was living by herself.

So yeah, I'd take this system over the Whims we did have, but it needs work. ALOT of work. It does feel like the wants are more fleshed out and its not the same 4 whims being recycled over and over. Like being on a date and wanting a Sim to get whims to interact with them and it would just keep doing the same 2-3 whims that I removed over and over.

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    columbia93 wrote: »

I don't mind the system, its better than what it was before... sorta. There were to many whims that would just cycle on repeat, like you could have a family of 6 and want just one of them to be a video editor and blog poster. So you put down a video station and a camera drone. Now every sim in the family keeps getting the whim to "record video with Drone" or "post video". At least now they do somewhat pertain to the Sim and do somewhat aid them in their story. What it DOESN'T do correctly is the constant unfulfilled dreams BS. Like my own post above, my Sim who's maxed out romance with his GF, I used a potion to remove his Want to break up with her, it rolled over to just wanting to speak to his roommate friendly. Within seconds of using it I now got the message, "blah blah blah, its like you are being controlled, looming fear blah blah blah" and then got the looming fear of unfulfilled dreams. The system should allow these wants to be removed like a whim could be and stop making them fear of unfulfilled dreams if you go a day without doing them, some are alot harder than others. Like one Sim just wanted to make enemies, especially with people I really don't want them to be enemies with. And if they DID become enemies, immediately got the want to become friends with them...

The system needs work, I like the actual Wants and even some of the fears, I liked when a Sim burned herself and got a fear of fire, I didn't however like it how she burned her next 7 meals before she finally cooked a decent one. Then trying to actually find a fire to put out to conquer her fear was even harder as it was Summer and most places didn't have fireplaces lit and she was living by herself.

So yeah, I'd take this system over the Whims we did have, but it needs work. ALOT of work. It does feel like the wants are more fleshed out and its not the same 4 whims being recycled over and over. Like being on a date and wanting a Sim to get whims to interact with them and it would just keep doing the same 2-3 whims that I removed over and over.

Whims were never really developed any further than the state they were in on the release of the game. Then for some reason, they decided to hide them and if you wanted them and then you had to go into the options to turn them on.

Whims were alright in my book, random stuff to help you progress the game forward. They completely threw the baby out with the bathwater on this. There is some some cool stuff very deeply buried in the new system as there was with the whims. They should have developed the whims system with some deeper thought using some of the ideas from the wants and fears and enhanced them. We ended up with pretty much junk.

The break up with whim you mention in your earlier post really makes me grind my teeth. I hate it with the heat of a 1000 suns. It completely shows up the lack of depth in the new system for the lipstick on a pig that it is.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • VaniliciousVanilicious Posts: 98 Member
    I'm going to try all the mods that come out, I really hate this desires and fears... I'm constantly deactivating them from my sim, but the visitors suddenly get furious, ruining all relationships, when they learn that compulsive behaviors of the sims is not what we like? everything is always so exaggerated!! :'(
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,016 Member
    edited September 2022
    ...everything is always so exaggerated!! :'(
    @Vanilicious This is how I feel. Every feature the programmers add seems so over-the-top. When they dump it all together into the game, it basically ends up unplayable garbage. I have installed so many tuning mods to tone "features" down. Why don't EA programmers understand that exaggerating sim behavior to the point they do is NOT fun? It ruins everything.

It's like this: When an artist creates a painting, they know that a little bit of color goes a long way. A touch of red here, a touch of green there, placed just so, and you have life. But if the artist plops down big globs of red and green without any attempt to balance and complement the whole design, all they've made is a muddy mess! 😆
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I like the idea of the fears tbh, but once a sim have conquered a fear, it should NOT come back. It would kinda be fun challenge to have a sim conquer every fear in the game - especially if you get useful bonus traits from conquering them.

Wants and fears haven't even showed up in my game - I think something is bugged because I've played a new save and I have the wants and fears turned on and I've not gotten a single want or fear in days.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • ZiafarZiafar Posts: 703 Member
    One of my children in my game has constantly the want to brew herbalism concoctions. But being a child he cannot. Bizarre.
    edited September 2022
    Ziafar wrote: »
    One of my children in my game has constantly the want to brew herbalism concoctions. But being a child he cannot. Bizarre.

It's out-of-control.

I've also experienced a Want that cannot be fulfilled. It's almost like a setup. Teen can't play toys with Toddler, so then Teen gets the infernal Fear of unfulfilled Wants. No. Just NO.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    Ziafar wrote: »

It's out-of-control.
    Aine wrote: »
    I like the idea of the fears tbh, but once a sim have conquered a fear, it should NOT come back. It would kinda be fun challenge to have a sim conquer every fear in the game - especially if you get useful bonus traits from conquering them.

Wants and fears haven't even showed up in my game - I think something is bugged because I've played a new save and I have the wants and fears turned on and I've not gotten a single want or fear in days.

If it could be done, I would agree. Problem is, they keep. Coming. Back.
  • VaniliciousVanilicious Posts: 98 Member
    edited September 2022
    theres a mod that prevent sims want to broke unless their romance score is less than -10
    if anyone interested
    The mod called Break Up Whim / Want Fix, and is in MTS

oh and there are another that just remove fear, called Sims Get No Fears in mts
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    My sim had a fire in the kitchen and she caught on fire. She was successful in putting the fire out, but a few days later had another fire she has that fear of fire. So hoping that each time she puts a fire out successfully her fear will go away and be conquered. I like the ideas of of fears but would like to see different ones roll my sim seems to get the dead end job most of the time. I hope the team adds more and developes this area of the game. It adds to the game play. My sims anger, bad language, sadness the whole gamut has been interesting.
  • Jenna2376Jenna2376 Posts: 120 Member
    I think this is the worst "feature" to come to the sims 4. It's terrible, it's buggy and it makes my game unplayable. The fears get stuck, I can't remove them by "confronting" the fear or even with cheats. It's so frustrating to be trying to play and every 5 minutes you can't do something cause your sim is afraid of being in a dead end job, or having unfulfilled dreams, or my favorite... being afraid of the dark... in the middle of the effing day. I even turned fears off in the game options and it hasn't changed anything. I've still got sims afraid of everything and paralyzed by fear. I was hoping the patch today would help, but of course not.

I've been playing the Sims since the OG game back in 2001, and I've never hated the Sims as much as I do with the Sims 4. Way to go EA!!! Not many game developers can make a game the fans love with a passion hate playing. I hope they release Paralives soon. It can't be any worse than the buggy piece of garbage I've dumped hundreds of dollars on. Def not going to spend anymore money on a game that just enrages me while trying to play.
  • Llandros2012Llandros2012 Posts: 620 Member
    I've been playing all day since the patch came out in a new save - I am currently wrapping up the third week. I turned the Wants/Fears off in options and have traveled to various lots around the world. It has remained off ever since I started the game. It's possible that it was an unannounced fix with the patch today or it could be the result of the patch and a new save file. My game has no mods or CC in it either.

I did regenerate the Sims 4 folder and repaired the game immediately after the patch so that could have played a part. All I can say is that the save files I was playing yesterday and earlier were infuriating as the wants/fears kept coming back - but it has not triggered even once today. So much so that I actually forgot all about them.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    I've been playing all day since the patch came out in a new save - I am currently wrapping up the third week. I turned the Wants/Fears off in options and have traveled to various lots around the world. It has remained off ever since I started the game. It's possible that it was an unannounced fix with the patch today or it could be the result of the patch and a new save file. My game has no mods or CC in it either.

I did regenerate the Sims 4 folder and repaired the game immediately after the patch so that could have played a part. All I can say is that the save files I was playing yesterday and earlier were infuriating as the wants/fears kept coming back - but it has not triggered even once today. So much so that I actually forgot all about them.

Now that would be just stupid. Fix a severe and nearly game breaking bug and not even mention it?

Based on the patches notes I don't know if it is worth going through the trouble of updating mods (assuming origin allows to play offline without updating) but if this patch really fixes wants and fears then I will install it immediately.
  • CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    Jenna2376 wrote: »
    I think this is the worst "feature" to come to the sims 4. It's terrible, it's buggy and it makes my game unplayable. The fears get stuck, I can't remove them by "confronting" the fear or even with cheats. It's so frustrating to be trying to play and every 5 minutes you can't do something cause your sim is afraid of being in a dead end job, or having unfulfilled dreams, or my favorite... being afraid of the dark... in the middle of the effing day. I even turned fears off in the game options and it hasn't changed anything. I've still got sims afraid of everything and paralyzed by fear. I was hoping the patch today would help, but of course not.

I'm just curious since I've barely played beyond testing lots I've been building (and even that was enough to make me want to pull my hair out over these fears!), can you cheat and remove the moodlet? Or does it pop right back and do nothing?

@Atreya33 Wouldn't be the first time they did a "stealth fix". I can't recall specific examples but it's happened many times where something is fixed in a patch and it's not mentioned.
  • Llandros2012Llandros2012 Posts: 620 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »

Now that would be just stupid. Fix a severe and nearly game breaking bug and not even mention it?

Based on the patches notes I don't know if it is worth going through the trouble of updating mods (assuming origin allows to play offline without updating) but if this patch really fixes wants and fears then I will install it immediately.

Then again, changing the age spans and not saying a thing really happened and affected every player's save file that has aging on, but there you go...I don't think it's a good choice either but it has been known to happen that they just forgot to speak about a significant change inserted into a patch.

I may very well have to start with a new save, yet again. I just did the game repair, but it was prior to yesterday's patch, and I did a game save reset, too. I'm getting so weary of having to start all over. It's like I'm stuck in a tape loop since 2020. I think this game has Covid, quite frankly. I will give this notion a good think, at any rate.

I may very well have to start with a new save, yet again. I just did the game repair, but it was prior to yesterday's patch, and I did a game save reset, too. I'm getting so weary of having to start all over. It's like I'm stuck in a tape loop since 2020. I think this game has Covid, quite frankly. I will give this notion a good think, at any rate.

I blame the spaghetti code. Rather than fixing the core issues, they just write more code to fix the code and it makes a tangled mess that can't be untangled.

Also, I think if you save then the glitch/bug corrupts that save and you have to start over. I just finished making a brand new save with all new lots and townies. I am NOT starting over. Not happening. I'll throw a tantrum instead.

I blame the spaghetti code. Rather than fixing the core issues, they just write more code to fix the code and it makes a tangled mess that can't be untangled.

Also, I think if you save then the glitch/bug corrupts that save and you have to start over. I just finished making a brand new save with all new lots and townies. I am NOT starting over. Not happening. I'll throw a tantrum instead.

I'm right there with you. Close to having a meltdown all out tantrum. OI! No wonder my blood-pressure is up!
    Atreya33 wrote: »

I have NEVER been allowed to play offline.
    The fears/wants toggling itself back on is NOT fixed. I pulled my TS4 folder to my desktop, did the patch, repaired my game, generated a new TS4 folder. Dragged my save/mods/tray into the new folder and then loaded the game. The game that I had just turned off this stupid annoying "feature". It's back on. The stupid thing is back on.

GAH!!!!!!!!!

I am not going to make an entirely new save. That is insane.
  • Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    Making a simple "off" option for wants and fears to work is starting to seem like some magical art or rocket science. At most I can tolerate what a nuisance it is for about an hour. On the plus side of things it means I'm totally focused on building, hopefully by the time I finish my Willow Creek rebuild the devs might actually have sorted it, but I won't stake money on it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top