March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• IblisTriggerIblisTrigger Posts: 31 Member
    He didn't do a good job with The Sims 2 and 3.

In Apartment Life, Rod Humble NPC was annoying.
  • xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member

Right! The worst thing he ever did was put himself as an NPC in the game giving away free computers to any sim. Like... chill. He probably did a good job developing whatever he developed but his name alone urks me because of the NPC :D
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member

Lmaoo
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    Hm. I may have to just check in on this. I loved Sims2, and it was my first real venture into gaming. I liked certain aspects of Sims3, but the Sims, themselves failed in my eyes. They weren't nearly as quirky or even as individual as they were in Sims2. I should like to hear more about what Rod is up to.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • IblisTriggerIblisTrigger Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2022
    People complained about Freetime (half EP), Apartment life (tiny magicworld), World Adventures (RPG), Late Night (skyscraper shell, no apartment).
    Only Ambitions was good.
    Post edited by IblisTrigger on
    Rod did Freetime (half EP), Apartment life (tiny magicworld), World Adventures (RPG), Late Night (skyscraper shell, no apartment).
    Only Ambitions was good.

I love literally all of those expansions.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    People complained about Freetime (half EP), Apartment life (tiny magicworld), World Adventures (RPG), Late Night (skyscraper shell, no apartment).
    Only Ambitions was good.

World Adventures was my favourite pack of all 4 iterations. It all got a bit dull after that.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Hm. I may have to just check in on this. I loved Sims2, and it was my first real venture into gaming. I liked certain aspects of Sims3, but the Sims, themselves failed in my eyes. They weren't nearly as quirky or even as individual as they were in Sims2. I should like to hear more about what Rod is up to.

Sims 3 sims definitely had a more RPG slant to them. Based on the articles that came out at the time, that was what Rod Humble and the Sims team were going for, with moodlets acting similar to RPG buffs. I personally didn't mind, but I do think the approach was divisive among the fanbase
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    GemSixx wrote: »
    In fact, C:S became the first game on Steam that I gave a negative review - mainly because of their excessive DLCs.

The Sims 3 had The Sims 3 Store and I bought just about everything there, I love the game so much! So I'm used to the idea of lots and lots of quality DLCs. I actually have money set aside SPECIFICALLY for all the DLCs for the upcoming new sim games.

Don't let the DLCs upset you. You're not forced to buy any of it. For example, I have The Sims 4 and it has lots of DLCs too. But I haven't bought a single DLC and I'm not upset that other people buy them for the game. Let people have fun with however they play these sim games!

Bumping this thread since it got moved to Off-Topic for some reason
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    edited March 2022
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

@EA_Cade The Paralives/Sims 5 thread still remains in the Sims Franchise forum. This Paradox Tectonic/Sims 5 thread was moved to off-topic. Why?

What I'm trying to get at here with this thread is to discuss this new (potential) competitor in relation to Sims 5 and the Sims Franchise as a whole. How do you recommend I edit the thread in order to qualify, like the Paralives thread, to reside in the Sims Franchise Discussion Forum?
    For me, I need to see how multiplayer vs. single player is handled. If this Paradox Tectonic game is single-player and Sims 5 is only multiplayer, then I'm going to focus on this game. But given that Rod Humble worked on Second Life, this game could also be multiplayer (which I don't like).
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,265 EA Community Manager

@EA_Cade The Paralives/Sims 5 thread still remains in the Sims Franchise forum. This Paradox Tectonic/Sims 5 thread was moved to off-topic. Why?

What I'm trying to get at here with this thread is to discuss this new (potential) competitor in relation to Sims 5 and the Sims Franchise as a whole. How do you recommend I edit the thread in order to qualify, like the Paralives thread, to reside in the Sims Franchise Discussion Forum?

That's a fair callout, I've moved that thread as well.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
    EA_Cade wrote: »

That's a fair callout, I've moved that thread as well.

Thank you, I appreciate the consistency.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCQzBSLyEnQ

PDXCON 2022 has been announced. Look for September 2nd and 3rd as key days when this potential life simulation game is announced!
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Unfortunately, they say they won't be announcing any new games at PDXCon, which means if the game is announced this year, it'll be at some other time or in some other event.

138ee7d96a12b8a1cb7ba35f528264cd85f8200a.jpg

But they are definitely still working on the game. Amanda Forrest did a podcast interview with Goddess in Gaming - a podcast about women in the games industry. She avoided talking about the game as much as possible, mostly talking about getting into writing RPG Lit books and her history in the industry, but she did say
    Interviewer: And what are you doing currently at Paradox?

AF: I am... we are actually a very small team. So, we recently staffed up from three engineers to four. And we do have some outsourcing. So really we have a team of strong generalists, and we work all over the code base.

AF: I've been working - I spend a lot of time working on the world-building tool, which we're going to use in-house, but will also be user-facing, I believe.

AF: You know I love the get in and work on AI and gameplay, and bring life to the world. And I think that was the same with the books too, is I like to find ways to make characters express what looks like a human quality.

So I think that bodes really well. A world-building tool sounds awesome.

The latest job posting confirms this game is being made in Unity. And was only put up, like, a week ago, so the game is clearly still getting money and being worked on.

So it sounds exciting. I am trying to temper my high hopes. But who knows how long we will have to wait to learn more.

Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Unfortunately, they say they won't be announcing any new games at PDXCon, which means if the game is announced this year, it'll be at some other time or in some other event.

138ee7d96a12b8a1cb7ba35f528264cd85f8200a.jpg

But they are definitely still working on the game. Amanda Forrest did a podcast interview with Goddess in Gaming - a podcast about women in the games industry. She avoided talking about the game as much as possible, mostly talking about getting into writing RPG Lit books and her history in the industry, but she did say
    Interviewer: And what are you doing currently at Paradox?

AF: I am... we are actually a very small team. So, we recently staffed up from three engineers to four. And we do have some outsourcing. So really we have a team of strong generalists, and we work all over the code base.

AF: I've been working - I spend a lot of time working on the world-building tool, which we're going to use in-house, but will also be user-facing, I believe.

AF: You know I love the get in and work on AI and gameplay, and bring life to the world. And I think that was the same with the books too, is I like to find ways to make characters express what looks like a human quality.

So I think that bodes really well. A world-building tool sounds awesome.

The latest job posting confirms this game is being made in Unity. And was only put up, like, a week ago, so the game is clearly still getting money and being worked on.

So it sounds exciting. I am trying to temper my high hopes. But who knows how long we will have to wait to learn more.

Awesome finds. Thanks for sharing.
    News that I'm sharing here, because it's interesting to me and I think maybe three other people and I think two of them are probably here.

There's a new job listing, this time for a technical animator.

Things of note from this job listing:

- They'll be using Motion Capture for character animation

- They emphasize "good deformations" as an animation skill needed, so it sounds like they're going for a style that's not too rigid

- They are creating animation rigs not only for characters, but for "vehicles and props". Cars confirmed?

- They want an animator with experience with "real time" video game animation, which makes sense.

- They are using Maya and MotionBuilder.

- Since this job listing is new, they are likely moving into a new stage when it comes to game animations, so development is ongoing and hopefully progressing well

Add this to the other things we know or have been hinted at (a world-building tool, color customization, a game for a primarily female PC gamer audience, etc). The details are scarce, but I do think they have all been promising.

I also tend to think the lack of promotion is a good sign. I think they are keeping this under wraps until they are sure they have a product they believe in and can do a big reveal.

I will continue to wait patiently.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    News that I'm sharing here, because it's interesting to me and I think maybe three other people and I think two of them are probably here.

There's a new job listing, this time for a technical animator.

Things of note from this job listing:

- They'll be using Motion Capture for character animation

- They emphasize "good deformations" as an animation skill needed, so it sounds like they're going for a style that's not too rigid

- They are creating animation rigs not only for characters, but for "vehicles and props". Cars confirmed?

- They want an animator with experience with "real time" video game animation, which makes sense.

- They are using Maya and MotionBuilder.

- Since this job listing is new, they are likely moving into a new stage when it comes to game animations, so development is ongoing and hopefully progressing well

Add this to the other things we know or have been hinted at (a world-building tool, color customization, a game for a primarily female PC gamer audience, etc). The details are scarce, but I do think they have all been promising.

I also tend to think the lack of promotion is a good sign. I think they are keeping this under wraps until they are sure they have a product they believe in and can do a big reveal.

I will continue to wait patiently.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing
    I still remember them announcing the Tectonic studio in early 2019, so it's been over 3 years. I'm really curious to see what they've been up to

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    I hope it's good rob humble made the sims great.Hopefully this new game is good.
    I still remember them announcing the Tectonic studio in early 2019, so it's been over 3 years. I'm really curious to see what they've been up to

Same. I hope we get a teaser this year!
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited September 2022
    Will Wright was the creator and Rod Humble was a follower.

Decades later, both did nothing amazing after The Sims.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
    edited September 2022
    Will Wright was the creator and Rod Humble was a follower.

Decades later, both did nothing amazing after The Sims.

I mean the way I see it is this.

I find The Sims 4 lacking. I'm not a hater. I've bought a bunch of packs for it. I love it. But it's not what it could be.

Right now we know of three potential upcoming life sims.

1. The Sims 5
    2. Paralives
    3. Unannounced Paradox Tectonic Game

1 is still going to be an EA game, and so will absolutely be plagued by the soulless money-grubbing user-experience ruining problems that plague all EA games. If there's a corner to cut, they will cut it, and if there are nickels and dimes they can tease out of the playerbase for scraps they will, because that money belongs to the big hungry businessmonsters upstairs.

2 is a first venture for many of its creators, being paid for by patreon and social media hype. I don't think it's a scam, I just think it's very big game for a very green team and they still have dozens of gameplay systems they need to build and test against each other, and the road is long and fraught and hopefully their wagon train makes it to California and they don't get lured by the call of Hasting's Cutoff.

Meanwhile 3,

3 is being led by a man who has worked on not one, not two, but three major life sims. He worked on the Sims franchise for years even before he took it over. He worked on the game during the period when I personally liked it best: The latter part of the Sims 2 and all the Sims 3. And while there's a lot of things that can be said against 3 in terms of optimization and performance, in terms of scope and ambition and character it was top notch. But even if you don't agree with that, he has still shown the ability to lead a succesful life sim game from beginning to end. And then he was CEO of Second Life.

So that's an entire career to think about, work on, practice with, hypothesize about, talk about life simulation.

It's not that I think he's the greatest coder or developer of all time. I don't know him from Adam. But if, as it seems, this is something he's doing because he really wants to? Because he had ideas and it was really exciting to him? And he seems to be being given a decent budget and free reign to follow that passion by one of the less sinister major studios out there?

IDK. That just seems like easily the most promising one. The most likely to both actually happen and actually be fun to play.
    Post edited by Ivyeyed on
    Sometimes I stream.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top