Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

h e l p

I have done something to my game and now I can't fix it :s

I know exactly what I did. I accidentally put a sims 4 package into my sims 3 package folder. I didn't figure it out at first (of course) so I tried doing to new folder thing etc and that's when I found the offending items in my mod folder. HOWEVER, once I did that, it messed ALL KINDS OF THINGS up in my game. It's telling me that my store content is installed and it's definitely not and it just redownloads and redownloads like it's not there though every single time it says, "Success!" etc and now I'm getting "installation failed" on STORE content. I can't get it to download and all my store venues aren't the name anymore, now it just says "store/object/catalog" something something on them. I have no idea how to fix this and just spent 2 days redownloading all of my store content only for it to NOT work AGAIN.

Please tell me there is a way to fix this without uninstalling and reinstalling because I have tried everything I can find and nothing seems to work :(:'(:#

Comments

• Options
    RazerBladeRazerBlade Posts: 2 New Member
    @StephSteb. So, you placed a file that is meant for The Sims 4 in one of your The Sims 3 folders, without asking yourself it could be gone wrong. Also, you did this action without making a backup first?
    Is this file a game file of a file you did edit by yourself or downloaded this file somewhere else?
    Did that action messed up the whole The Sims 3 game or specific parts?

With store you mean The Sims 3 Store, where you can buy items for money? Did you try to download them inside the game?
    Can you try to download again through The Sims 3 Launcher?
    Can you repairing the game though the program Origin? Maybe you need to rename the \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ folder and empty the Origin cache first.

Let me know if this works or not.
  • Options
    StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    No, I didn't ask if it could go wrong because I misread it as a sims 3 package instead of a sims 4 package. I didn't put a sims 4 file in there thinking it would work in sims 3 :D

I still have my original EA file because I did move it and then generate a new file when I loaded the game and added things back slowly which is how I figured out I had a sims 4 file in my mods/packages folder.

Yes, the sims 3 store. The offending item was not from the store, it was other cc but I had to generate the new file etc and then my store content didn't work anymore once I got rid of that sims 4 package and redownloaded and reinstalled the store stuff.

No, none of that worked.
  • Options
    I think I need a new ccmerged.package but I don't know how to get one? All of the other posts I have googled says not to delete it but what do you do if it gets corrupted or something?
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I know this is a basic question, but have you pulled your folder and restarted the game with out it in there. If not pull it, clear ALL your caches and then restart the game without your mods folder, create a new mods folder then start putting all your mods back in one by one.

I hate to say it but your mods folder is irretrievably corrupted by that Sims 4 package and you’re gonna have to rebuild it again.

I’ve had to do it before.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    edited September 2022
    Is it necessary to replace the CCMerged file? I'm having a hard time imaging how a bad package file can corrupt CCmerged. I would think it would corrupt the cache files? If you're not playing on Mac, you could try deleting the cache files. Some are in the Sims 3 folder located in your documents folder. You probably already know but the files are CASPartCache.package, scriptCache.package, compositorCache.package, simCompositorCache.package, socialCache.package. Next open the DCBackup folder, KEEP CCMERGED FILE but delete all the other files. Then open DCCache and delete missingdeps.idx file. I hope that fixes it.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    The most important thing to do is to make sure you don't have any Sims 4 files in your mods folder.

Do you have Delphy's Dashboard.exe? If so, use it on your mods folder. It will tell you if any of the package files in the mods folder are corrupt or are not Sims 3 files.

Here's a link to info on the dashboard and it contains a link to Mod the Sims site which is where you can get a copy of the dashboard if you don't have it.

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/03/tutorial-delphys-dashboard.html

Regarding the CCMerged.package. If you can't get the downloaded version to work you could set up a fresh Sims 3 folder and install all of your Premium Content files. If you know what they are. The CCMerged.package only relates to your premium content and only needs replacing if your premium content isn't working correctly.

You shouldn't need to reinstall your game files. The problems should be restricted to your The Sims 3 folder in Documents. Of course, I don't know what the mod you accidentally added to your folder actually tries to do.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited September 2022
    tbh i think it'd just be easiest to uninstall take out all files and reinstall that might even take shorter time than to track where the issue is
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    @Nikkei_Simmer That's the first thing I did. Didn't work but that's how I found out it was something in my mods folder.

@KevinL5275 THANK YOU SO MUCH <3

@Satanu_Reeves I did do all of that and I thought maybe deleting the idx file would fix it as I saw in my search that it did for someone else having trouble with store content. Didn't work for me, unfortunately.

@Karritz Thank you, I have never tried this although have heard about it. I am going to give it a try and if that doesn't work, reinstalling it's gonna have to be. I haven't been able to play my game for a whole week now and it's driving me bonkers :D

@Simmingal Yep, that's about where I'm at. Probably going to end up uninstalling and reinstalling because every time my store content messes up, that seems to be the only thing that fixes it. S I G H

Also, does anyone know where I can get the ContentPatch folder?

Thanks so much everyone. Gonna try the dashboard thingy and if that doesn't work...it's gonna be a looooonnnggg night and day of reinstalling. Fun times :(
  • Options
    @StephSteb I hope you mean reainstalling your store content and not the expansion and stuff packs. Reinstalling the packs is unlikely to fix the problem and is highly likely to cause problems unless you use a registry cleaner after you uninstall them.

I use Delphys Dashboard and it has helped me over the years. I see there is a new version of it available. I read the text about it and the changes made didn't seem sufficiently significant for me to download the new version. I hope it fixes your problems. There could be another Sims 4 package hiding in your folder.
  • Options
    @Karritz I meant the whole thing lol

I am reinstalling (the whole game, everything) right now so hopefully this works. I've tried every single way searching and nothing has worked so start from scratch it is :|

This game *shakes fist at sky* :D
  • Options
    I would also recommend against doing a full re-install at this time. Since deleting the cache didn't work, I think you should try Karritz solution first, then if that doesn't work get the custom CC file that Kevin posted. If that doesn't work- wow, what did you download? :D
  • Options
    @Satanu_Reeves Too late, already doing it. I did try the dashboard (which is A LOT easier to use than I thought it would be thanks again @Karritz ) but it didn't find anything so I don't even know. I've already been through a week of not being able to play so my patience is G O N E :D

It was a gorgeous little painting set thingy. The creator makes cc for sims 3 AND sims 4 and dumb ol' me downloaded the sims 4 one instead of the sims 3 one and then tried to load my game completely oblivious D U H :D
  • Options
    @StephSteb unfortunately problems with the game are rarely, almost totally never, associated with the game itself. The problems are in the User Data which is contained in the Sims 3 folder that is in Downloads and has the DCCache etc. The usual fix is to rename The Sims 3 folder and reinstall Store Content and start a new game. At that point make a copy of the new Sims 3 folder with only the Store Content installed and put it in a safe place. Then start installing other content you want in your game. Try launching a fresh game and if it still works than add mods gradually each time launching a fresh game.

If you have already uninstalled the game itself, make sure you clean your registry before you start reinstalling the game or you will most likely have to uninstall it all again and clean your registry and then reinstall again.
  • Options
    Good luck, sorry that happened to you.
  • Options
    Thanks, @Karritz Yes, I did all of that first before I even came here asking for help. This is the first time I have ever had trouble with store content. Yes, deleted all files from registry etc and reinstalling now. It's so weird.
  • Options
    Thanks @Satanu_Reeves <3 I haven't had to do a fresh install in years so maybe there's a bright side in there somewhere :D
  • Options
    @StephSteb Good luck with it. I hope you make a backup of a working clean Sims 3 folder so you can just replace it if you have a problem again.