Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,573 Member
    The mod just got another update.
    The feartweak module now also fixes the bug with the ever returning fear of the dark.
    If you happen to find any missing text strings or other weird stuff, just let me know. I always use EA text strings in order to avoid Simmers having to see texts in a language that isn't their native one, but with the wants update, EA removed a bunch of their text strings for former whims that I have reenabled as wants now. As there is a much greater variety, it always takes a good while for every new want popping up at least once so I can check whether everything works as expected in game.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member

MCCC just got the all-clear with yesterday's patch. I think you misunderstood my problem. I don't use MCCC to change the number of days in each age stage. I select LONG from the game itself. I did find a solution, however. My gut was telling me to reset my game folder, which I did after I repaired the game after the patch. Hello, my Sim has fifty days left as he should! I may make this a habit. Repair and Refresh after each patch and/or pack. I'm so entirely sick of this.

The downside of this, is I did upload the family. He first showed up without his fame, yet his mother had hers. Say, what? Then I found out all of the songs he slaved over (while on his summer break) were gone. Vanished. This wasn't something tangible like sheet music, either. He had finished these songs. They're just gone.

However, I am now going to start another brand new save. Takes time to set up the save, but I won't bring my family into the save until all the prep work is done, so that he starts in the 8AM hour. He has much to do before Karaoke at 8 PM. Oi!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • puzzlemompuzzlemom Posts: 2 New Member
    I want to be able to opt out of wants like whims. Some are tedious and boring. My sims fear always comes up. Fear of dead end job and not fulfilling life dream etc. I turned it off. My sims were getting sad. Please make it where we can x out of the bubbles.
    puzzlemom wrote: »
    I want to be able to opt out of wants like whims. Some are tedious and boring. My sims fear always comes up. Fear of dead end job and not fulfilling life dream etc. I turned it off. My sims were getting sad. Please make it where we can x out of the bubbles.

I will Second this. Even if you turn them off, be careful. They pop right back on when you leave the lot, or CAS. It would be fine, if they would stay off, but the way the system is now, we really don't have a choice.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • MayaRose1138MayaRose1138 Posts: 1,790 Member
    So far I haven’t found this system too bad. My main sims have had one fear each - husband got promoted and then got fear of dead end job, wife got fear of death after the in-laws cat died 🤣. Both were easily solved by following the instructions on the want bubble. The wants haven’t been too bad so far either, and I’ve found that if I ignore them for long enough, they’ll go away and be replaced by something else (hubby had a want to flirt with his teenage cousin 🤦‍♀️. I ignored that and it was replaced by something else within a few hours). We’ll see how things progress!
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,900 Member
    Pathetic; my sim goto have a drink of water, he's in a apartment no pool in sight, and the game says 'this water looks deep' and boom, got a fear of water ! Out of a glass of water... the game is kinda unplayable now, is there a mod like for the phone so i can get rid of fears once and for all ?
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,396 Member
    edited September 2022
    CrazyFrog wrote: »
    Pathetic; my sim goto have a drink of water, he's in a apartment no pool in sight, and the game says 'this water looks deep' and boom, got a fear of water ! Out of a glass of water... the game is kinda unplayable now, is there a mod like for the phone so i can get rid of fears once and for all ?

I don’t have confidence in the Sims producers to make logical, thoughtful game design decisions. I wish they would use the past games as the blueprint instead of trying new things. These risks that they take in the Sims 4 often flop.
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • ZiafarZiafar Posts: 702 Member
    Bienchien is my hero!!!! Has been for a long time
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    Glimmer50 wrote: »
    Hehe.. yeah the phone thing is the first thing i settled, i even listed like 4 mods to block it on some thread. Never seen my sims walking w phone ever since ! That is personal, i mean irl i dont use a cell pone for personal reasons and i know im an exeption obviously so i dont mind having to place a mod in for that. But the fears, OMG its like 2much i just finished 2hours + going around to 5 households removing fears with fear-be-gone potion some of them had 3 fears ! :p ...so im good i guess the sims i wanna play i check if they got a fear and i 'treat' em ... im not gonna developp phobophobia lol

I seriously hate the constant phone usage. And there is no way to get them to stop. I have tried turning off everything phone related and they still walk and use the phone. Is it possible to ask what mods you are using to get this to stop? This phone issue is not going to be good in my Decades save. I haven't even loaded it since the patch.

I'm using this mod: https://lazarusinashesmods.tumblr.com/post/691129246640472064/no-constant-phone and so far it's working well.

Thank you so much. Just installed it.
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    The mod just got another update.
    The feartweak module now also fixes the bug with the ever returning fear of the dark.
    If you happen to find any missing text strings or other weird stuff, just let me know. I always use EA text strings in order to avoid Simmers having to see texts in a language that isn't their native one, but with the wants update, EA removed a bunch of their text strings for former whims that I have reenabled as wants now. As there is a much greater variety, it always takes a good while for every new want popping up at least once so I can check whether everything works as expected in game.

Just installed your mod and it has made my game so much better. Thank you very much.
    Im not the first one to wish for the devs to improve or work on the existing things that could be expanded. I think the whims should be brought back... companies can do roll backs by popular demand right ! ? The fears is going to make me ditch this game... pretty soon !
    Im not the first one to wish for the devs to improve or work on the existing things that could be expanded. I think the whims should be brought back... companies can do roll backs by popular demand right ! ? The fears is going to make me ditch this game... pretty soon !

The only thing that would make me not worry about this new system would be if the devs once again, allowed us to dismiss the Wants we don't wish to pursue and to dump the fears more readily. I am one who liked to fulfill Whims, because I use the points for the extra Traits, or other things in that menu. My Sim needs to be able to purchase Quirk-Be-Gone, lest the Quirk takeover his life. LOL :open_mouth: Sure, I could use MCCC to grant him more points, but that's not what I want to do. I want him to earn them.
    I dont use MCC, i dont understand the mods programming etc, the mods i use are traits, careers, and clothing and thats it ! loland i use all basic cheats... (like 'sims.give_satisfaction_points 50000') or 'money 9999999'. Its my playstyle, the whims i used to enhance my gameplay but i turned them off couple of months before the degrade ! I read here some folks palyed alot with the whims, i thought the whims are a way better concept than the fears, mind you id rather opt out of both, just like i did the lifestyles because they are too restrictive ! :smile: ok ciao4now @GalacticGal
    Found it ! https://modthesims.info/d/670172/sims-get-no-fears.html
    ...anyone got info on that mod? Cause the download is not really a real .zip file, unless its a glitch on my end !
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,812 Member
    Found it ! https://modthesims.info/d/670172/sims-get-no-fears.html
    ...anyone got info on that mod? Cause the download is not really a real .zip file, unless its a glitch on my end !

Did you try again to download it? I just downloaded it and it showed up as a .zip for me. I don't have any more information than you do about it, but I'm willing to consider anything that will fix this problem.
    edited September 2022
    Alright @DaniRose2143 , then, im loading it now :wink:
    Ill do some beta... the thing is that its name file is .zip but its not zipped... ill let you know in awhile, the actual file itself seem legit.

(edit) Works fine, havent seen a fear in 50+sims... and the filename its probably cause its a single file so the site renamed it with a .zip, cant think of another mod ive downloded that came as a single file so im not sure why !

Post edited by Slacker on
  • SimSaraSimSara Posts: 534 Member
    It seems the only things my sims really want is to listen to music, even the ones that don't have musical or creativity aspirations/traits... I've completed them, rerolled and they just keep coming back.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    SimSara wrote: »
    It seems the only things my sims really want is to listen to music, even the ones that don't have musical or creativity aspirations/traits... I've completed them, rerolled and they just keep coming back.

Do your sims by any chance have likes set for certain music genres? I read somewhere that likes and dislikes can trigger wants.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    When the game bugs are finally fixed and I can return to playing my game, the first thing I plan to do is turn off wants and fears. I rarely use likes and dislikes as I found that they draw my sims to specific behaviors when I want them to do something else. I wanted improved sim personalities but these features are not working for me. I would prefer buffs when they are enjoying their likes to constantly being drawn to something because they like it and dropping actions they are meant to do. I find it very frustrating. Haven't played the new features yet as waiting for fixes before I start playing again. Reading others experiences with wants and fear, I know I am not going to enjoy this feature.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    When the game bugs are finally fixed and I can return to playing my game, the first thing I plan to do is turn off wants and fears. I rarely use likes and dislikes as I found that they draw my sims to specific behaviors when I want them to do something else. I wanted improved sim personalities but these features are not working for me. I would prefer buffs when they are enjoying their likes to constantly being drawn to something because they like it and dropping actions they are meant to do. I find it very frustrating. Haven't played the new features yet as waiting for fixes before I start playing again. Reading others experiences with wants and fear, I know I am not going to enjoy this feature.

Just a head's up ....in case you play the game before there's a fix, currently right now (for a lot of people, myself included, this is in a vanilla game, with no mods or cc in my folder, brand new TS4 generated folder after "emergency patch") if you turn the W&Fs off and you go into CAS, travel, switch households, and everytime you load the game ....... they turn back on and you'll have to turn them off AGAIN.
    Alright @DaniRose2143 , then, im loading it now :wink:
    Ill do some beta... the thing is that its name file is .zip but its not zipped... ill let you know in awhile, the actual file itself seem legit.

(edit) Works fine, havent seen a fear in 50+sims... and the filename its probably cause its a single file so the site renamed it with a .zip, cant think of another mod ive downloded that came as a single file so im not sure why !

I just downloaded it. I used the one that allows us to choose which fears we will allow. Odd thing was, I didn't set up a folder for it, but after I checked to make certain it extracted it correctly, there is was in its own folder. :open_mouth: I don't mind at all, I was just being lazy and some of the small mods I have don't function inside a folder inside the main Mods folder, is all.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    SimSara wrote: »

Do your sims by any chance have likes set for certain music genres? I read somewhere that likes and dislikes can trigger wants.

Oh, this is a sad joke on all of us, isn't it. But, no, I did that when they first came out with the likes and dislikes, but now I don't bother.
  • Llandros2012Llandros2012 Posts: 620 Member
    So I tried just playing the base game with the current state of the game. Most of the bugs I can deal with or ignore easily enough but the Fears/Wants system is hands-down the worst thing in the game right now. It is so annoying that it can't be turned off and stay off. It's also so poorly done that even when the sim conquers the fear, it comes right back the next day.

If I am seeing this much aggravation in just a base-game only build (no CC or mods of any kind) then it is obvious that any quality assurance testing was done at such a superficial and ineffective level. I can somewhat understand if I had all the DLC installed, but this is base game only and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I guess the developers don't actually play the game that they create - if they did, it would be painfully obvious how out of whack this system is. Oh well, another weekend with no patch relief in sight. And the suggestion to use a mod to correct this is wrong. I just had the game that I have been playing and dealing with for 8 years fundamentally changed right out from under me and no way to roll it back to something acceptable.

I really didn't notice the bug as much when I was playing as a high school student without a job but now that I am playing as a young adult in a career and base-game only it is a total nightmare.

Here's hoping that an official fix is coming - even better if any communication is coming as well.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    So I tried just playing the base game with the current state of the game. Most of the bugs I can deal with or ignore easily enough but the Fears/Wants system is hands-down the worst thing in the game right now. It is so annoying that it can't be turned off and stay off. It's also so poorly done that even when the sim conquers the fear, it comes right back the next day.

If I am seeing this much aggravation in just a base-game only build (no CC or mods of any kind) then it is obvious that any quality assurance testing was done at such a superficial and ineffective level. I can somewhat understand if I had all the DLC installed, but this is base game only and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I guess the developers don't actually play the game that they create - if they did, it would be painfully obvious how out of whack this system is. Oh well, another weekend with no patch relief in sight. And the suggestion to use a mod to correct this is wrong. I just had the game that I have been playing and dealing with for 8 years fundamentally changed right out from under me and no way to roll it back to something acceptable.

I really didn't notice the bug as much when I was playing as a high school student without a job but now that I am playing as a young adult in a career and base-game only it is a total nightmare.

Here's hoping that an official fix is coming - even better if any communication is coming as well.

THIS^^^^

My thoughts exactly!
  • CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    edited September 2022
    GAH! These wants and fears are the single most annoying thing in the game ATM. I finally finished rebuilding all the worlds and have moved onto making over my 150 townie sims (plus 10 pets). My elders have lost their minds. A 5-star retired "Silver Screen" actress who has the world at her beckoning is scared of the dark and dying. Aging is off, aging is always off, they will NEVER die. Her husband is also constantly terrified, I gave them the brave traits hoping that would fix it. Nope. They're scared of their shadows, basically.

Then I keep turning it off and every time I switch households or exit the game, it's back on.

What the heck kind of nonsense is this? Why does it keep toggling back ON?!?!??! I want it OFF!

I want whims back and I hated whims and never used them.

ETA: WHAT?!?! Likes/dislikes trigger want/fears? I finally accepted how intrusive and annoying these things are and allowed my sims to have them only to find out that they're now a part of a glitch? GAH.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top