Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vacation rental ideas in residential worlds

How do you usually use vacations and rental lots in residential worlds in your game? I have never used them because I simply haven't seen the purpose. Sims can so easily just travel to whatever world they want, whenever they want, so why have a rental lot and stay there when there really isn't any benefit to it? I don't own for example Island Living or Snowy Escape where it would make the most sense to have a vacation in. Have you guys found any fun ideas how to use them?
Gallery id: sannaljm

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Sims will sometimes roll a need for a vacation, so just having a day off and going away to Sulani or wherever doesn't count. Also, going on vacation lets you pursue an activity without being interrupted for career commitments. I have a few rentals in other worlds and they are fitted out with campfires, pools, and other fun stuff they don't have at home, or you can plan the vacation with a theme in mind. Maybe you want to solve the Strangerville puzzle and rent the campervan for your stay. Or you rent an old haunted castle and this triggers your sims interest in paranormal stuff. Or you're going for a "work trip" somewhere with your work colleague. Or maybe you're going away for a destination wedding, or fancy proposal. Or you want to work on a hobby or complete a collection during your vacation so you book an appropriate rental lot for this purpose. Or you go on vacation to Brindleton Bay and come back with a stray puppy you befriended while there.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I like them for vacation purposes but mostly for Honeymoons.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    edited August 2022
    This is an interesting question.

I don’t do this much outside of the obvious choices like Sulani and Mt Komorebi but I guess it’s a nice idea to set up a spot for city breaks like San Myshuno or Windenberg.

I guess you could even clear out an apartment in San Myshuno and play it like a hotel.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    Sulani, of course. Cordelia's Cottage in HOB makes a nice rental. I also put them in any town I might want a sim to play in for an extended time, for story reasons. For example, I played a musician living in Sulani and set up a recording studio in Newcrest. I gave him a rental there so he could go to town and stay while he hung out with the other musicians and recorded.
  • Options
    SansannaSansanna Posts: 37 Member
    Awesome, already great new ideas! I especially like the idea of going to Brindleton Bay and coming back with a stray or going for a "work trip" haha. I guess I've been lazy with proposals and honeymoons then that never thought of doing those somewhere but they would make perfect sense.
    Gallery id: sannaljm
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I have 1 rental in most towns, and most of my rentals are very inexpensive. I also have a few places marked generic if I don’t want my sim to have to pay. And in some cases I will put some hotel rooms below a gym or nightclub or something. But like someone else mentioned, when you are on a true vacation you don’t have to work. I actually label some holidays vacation so sims can get a vacation without having to pay for a rental.
  • Options
    Aleia1Aleia1 Posts: 68 Member
    Cheating sims find rentals very useful.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    tbh I usually use bars or restaurants instead for like fake inn or park for campground or spa for fancy hotel or something

i do have vacation rental with some huts over water in sulani tho cause st.taz is like tourist trap more than residential area for me

and i have vacation homes in komorebi yeah

I do think it would make sense to do some of the trailer homes as vacation but tbh i usually do like normal residential instead cause that way my sims only occupy one lot at time
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,833 Member
    I change the rentals one at a time into residential lots if I need the space for one of my characters. Even if there are empty lots available, if the rental is in a location I love, for instance on Mt. Komorebi for my winter sports sims, I'll change it and put them there. I love the views from the rental lot (Villa Vigna) on the hill above the beach in Tartosa. That one will always have one of my sims living in it. The house on the lot may change, but I love visiting my sims that live there. Especially around sunset.🥰
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,918 Member
    if not counted the sort of obvious, Sulani and Komorebi as OP does not have those, or honeymoons,

but why not having a rental penthouse in San Myshuno? Country living sims would love to spend weekend ore more in the city... or the opposite, sweet rental gottage surrounded by cows, llamas and chikens.. could be a good holiday for sims who has lived their intire life in apartment in SM?
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I don't use rentals, when I send my sims on vacation they get moved to a residential lot with a maximum skilled housekeeper (often an android or servo). If I feel like it, I add other vacationers, especially if I have a "we met during a vacation trip" romance in mind.

The last vacation I played was for my werewolf that needed to learn Transformation Mastery. Since I had to lock the poor guy into an empty basement I figured his husband "owed" him a luxury hotel trip as compentation.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I've always used them as Honeymoon locations. I also have summer and winter vacation holidays in my game, and use the rental lots then too. I mostly use Sulani and Mt. Komorebi. In one of my saves, I had all of the lots in both worlds as rental lots. I found I played in those worlds more when I did that.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I built vacation homes in neighbourhoods where sims can do things they can't usually do elsewhere, such as swimming and diving in the ocean, digging for ancient artefacts, or winter sports. I was planning on using them while playing as sims who, for example, want to take some time to solve the StrangerVille mystery without being disturbed by work or their own needs. In practice, however, I don't use them at all. I usually have a sim travel to a public lot with sanitary equipment and they bring their own tents to sleep.

If you don't have any pack that comes with tents, however (Outdoor Retreat and Snowy Escape, I believe), then yeah, building a place for sims to stay the night is probably worth considering. And setting it as a vacation destination should help against mosquito townies invading your personal space. (Except if you're playing in Mount Komorebi, that is. Home invasions seem to be a cultural practice there.)
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    You have to change the lot to "rental" from whatever it is.
  • Options
    viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    I use Language Barriers and a Keep Sims in Home Region mod so it makes sense to use rental lots on for worlds my sims wouldn't normally be able to drive to. And Language Barriers really makes things feel like a holiday.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    For me vacationing for my Sims is a must on occasion to break up the monotony and being able to rent not only in the official vacation worlds is great. There is no rhyme or reason of when my Sims go on vacation, just when I feel like it. For instance, I had a big family go on vacation in Sulani during wintertime because Willow Creek winter where they live, was being particularly nasty. I also love to bring my outdoorsy Sims (Loves Outdoors trait) to not only Selvadorada and Granite Falls but also Sulani and Mt. Komorebi.

In Sulani I have put 2 rentals. One for my more affluent Sims and the other for my on-a-budget Sims. I haven't changed any of the rental places in Mt. Komorebi and use them. Windenburg also has one rental on the island although I haven't had any Sim rent that at the moment but I find that Windenburg is a lovely vacation place. I am even thinking of plomping one in Brindleton Bay.

Now, I know that I can just bring my Sims there anyway, and even have them sleep in an inn (bar) or a hotel or even just plomping down a tent anywhere but I like to be able to have them go on an official vacation to these places.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited September 2022
    I have a small log cabin style lot that I use as a weekend getaway type place. Its also useful for dates away from intruding sims. Usually put it on Windenburg Island or a woods lot in Brindleton Bay.

As mentioned about useful for cheating serial romantic sims. Should also build a sleazy motel
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    BlackGirl73BlackGirl73 Posts: 66 Member
    Oasis Spring would be perfect for a "Las Vegas"-style world.