Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The grand sequel to: "The first one to page 100 wins!"

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Salut!
    How's it going? ^-^

Hellooooo!!

I'm doing alright. Woke up at like 4am today for no reason but it's gonna be 6 now and I'm gonna start doing my resistance training. ๐Ÿ™Œ (Still training to get a leaner and muscular body).

Mentally, I wasn't doing too good recently cuz my mom was pushing me to stop eating carbs (like the whole grain kinda carbs, not fruit tho). She got mad when I wanted to add my milk bun I baked last Sunday to my breakfast. ๐Ÿ˜ฎโ€๐Ÿ’จ

And she called me a liar cuz I said I wanted to be more healthy, but I literally only told her to make more protein based foods cuz I need to increase my protein intake to build muscles. I never said I wanted to decrease my grain intake but in her mind, any grain is bad.

Then I just got a breakdown from that and I cried (and I rarely cry ๐Ÿ˜ข). Yo, I was just a mess. I was like crying on the train on my way to work on Thursday and I cried again yesterday. Why am I crying just cuz I can't eat the bread I made? This is so stupid. Haah.

LOL, I'm tearing up right now typing all this. I don't know why I'm even saying all of this here but just wanna get it off my chest.

Great, now I shall be doing my resistance training with all these tears. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member
    I really need a haircut...
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,651 Member
    DeKay wrote: ยป
    Salut!
    How's it going? ^-^

Hellooooo!!

I'm doing alright. Woke up at like 4am today for no reason but it's gonna be 6 now and I'm gonna start doing my resistance training. ๐Ÿ™Œ (Still training to get a leaner and muscular body).

Mentally, I wasn't doing too good recently cuz my mom was pushing me to stop eating carbs (like the whole grain kinda carbs, not fruit tho). She got mad when I wanted to add my milk bun I baked last Sunday to my breakfast. ๐Ÿ˜ฎโ€๐Ÿ’จ

And she called me a liar cuz I said I wanted to be more healthy, but I literally only told her to make more protein based foods cuz I need to increase my protein intake to build muscles. I never said I wanted to decrease my grain intake but in her mind, any grain is bad.

Then I just got a breakdown from that and I cried (and I rarely cry ๐Ÿ˜ข). Yo, I was just a mess. I was like crying on the train on my way to work on Thursday and I cried again yesterday. Why am I crying just cuz I can't eat the bread I made? This is so stupid. Haah.

LOL, I'm tearing up right now typing all this. I don't know why I'm even saying all of this here but just wanna get it off my chest.

Great, now I shall be doing my resistance training with all these tears. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I used to fight it, but crying is really cathartic. It is to me anyway. Let it go, cry your eyes out. You're still a bada$$. Truthfully you're even more of a bada$$ if you do. It takes real strength to show vulnerability.

I know denial of bread makes me wanna cry. One of life's great joys is fresh baked bread. I love the taste. I absolutely adore the aroma. I can't indulge in it very often because of my diabetes. Homemade bread blows the top off of my blood sugar. There is one store bought brand I can pig out on, Sara Lee Honey Wheat, but it's not the same as fresh homemade bread. I really need to get off my butt and investigate alternative types of flour that have a lower glycemic index. They're out there, I know they are, right?

It's not like my diabetes is raging out of control. I had my last blood test two weeks ago, and my A1c was only 5.9. Anything under 5.7 is considered normal, and 5.9 is barely into the pre-diabetic range, so I can afford an indulgence here and there. But I am like obsessed with getting my A1c back solidly into the normal range.

Salut!
    How's it going? ^-^

Hellooooo!!

I used to fight it, but crying is really cathartic. It is to me anyway. Let it go, cry your eyes out. You're still a bada$$. Truthfully you're even more of a bada$$ if you do. It takes real strength to show vulnerability.

I know denial of bread makes me wanna cry. One of life's great joys is fresh baked bread. I love the taste. I absolutely adore the aroma. I can't indulge in it very often because of my diabetes. Homemade bread blows the top off of my blood sugar. There is one store bought brand I can pig out on, Sara Lee Honey Wheat, but it's not the same as fresh homemade bread. I really need to get off my butt and investigate alternative types of flour that have a lower glycemic index. They're out there, I know they are, right?

It's not like my diabetes is raging out of control. I had my last blood test two weeks ago, and my A1c was only 5.9. Anything under 5.7 is considered normal, and 5.9 is barely into the pre-diabetic range, so I can afford an indulgence here and there. But I am like obsessed with getting my A1c back solidly into the normal range.

Sorry to hear about that. :( My glucose level was like 5.9 too (fasted state) and after decreasing my wheat intake for about 2 weeks, it's about 5.6 last time I checked.

I'm sure there's a bunch of flour type that won't spike up blood sugar too much. I've tried quite a few. ๐Ÿคฃ There's coconut flour and spelt flour. I usually mix a bit of spelt flour with my whole wheat flour. Coconut flour can be a bit tricky to bake with. I heard oat flour is good too but haven't tried it. And then of course, there's stuff like almond flour but I'm allergic to almond. I'm always so mad whenever I look at keto recipes and they almost always use almond flour. ๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜ฃ Haha.
    FwDXXd5.gif
    edited September 2022

Sorry to hear about that. :( My glucose level was like 5.9 too (fasted state) and after decreasing my wheat intake for about 2 weeks, it's about 5.6 last time I checked.

I'm sure there's a bunch of flour type that won't spike up blood sugar too much. I've tried quite a few. ๐Ÿคฃ There's coconut flour and spelt flour. I usually mix a bit of spelt flour with my whole wheat flour. Coconut flour can be a bit tricky to bake with. I heard oat flour is good too but haven't tried it. And then of course, there's stuff like almond flour but I'm allergic to almond. I'm always so mad whenever I look at keto recipes and they almost always use almond flour. ๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜ฃ Haha.

I should have been 5.6 or better back in February, but I took my meter with me to work one day back in November and dropped it and broke it. I didn't realize it was broken so I was experimenting with all kinds of new things thinking I was doing great. I got the shock of my life. From November to February I was trying all these new menus and getting the best test results I had ever seen since I started testing. I thought this is awesome, I'm eating all these things I like and it's like I never had diabetes. My A1c was 5.8 this time last year, so I was expecting to be at 5.3 or 5.4 but it came back at 6.2 which is practically in full blown diabetes.

At first I was like, 'I give up. I don't understand this diabetes thing'. Then I remembered dropping my meter on a concrete floor at work. I asked a couple of people about that and they all said, 'oh yeah girl that will kill a meter and make it give you false readings'. So for four months I was going backwards with my diet thinking I was doing great when I wasn't. I got a new meter and had to start all over trying out new foods to see what worked and what didn't so I could have some variety in my diet. All of this misery because for years I had an out of control soda habit. People warned me that I was risking diabetes with all that soda, but I ignored them to my detriment. That stuff tastes good, or it did, but it's poison, especially if you don't keep it under control. And the 'diet' stuff is as bad as the regular full on sugary sodas. I was up to 12 or more a day when I was first diagnosed as diabetic. Now I can barely stand the taste of it. If only I had learned better sooner...

Today's Q Q is:
    What's a song you never skip when it comes up on shuffle? You probably have a lot so just pick one that comes to mind.

Down by Love and Death. And then I would put it on loop for the next 30 mins. ๐Ÿคฃ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtGT2GN3SQ4
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    About blood sugar and all, I've been prediabetic/insulin resistant for like 2o years now and haven't checked myself recently, maybe I just don't wanna look, in case. But I have had to follow a far lower gylcemic diet in general than most people, in an attempt not to just progress right into full blown diabetes.

One thing I learned is that white bread has the highest glycemic index of any food. It has an index of 100 whereas cane sugar has a lower one than that. So it's the #1 thing to avoid if you want not to have a blood sugar roller coasters ride.

That may also ne partly why it's so seductive and addictive, that sugar rush. wheat gluten also activates your body's own receptor systems and may give an addictive drug like rush. Supposedly that makes bread, or gluten more generally, harder to quit for some people, than other addictive substances.

I never had any kind of soda addiction but can agree carbonated beverages are unhealthy for a variety of reasons.

I did really well at living very lowcarb for many years, but have fallen down with it lately, partly because ai started becoming allergic to half the healthy vegetables I used to base my meals around. No more cauliflower for me, and no almond either or coconut so I get how impossible all those keto alternatives are for those with food allergies.

But since I had to stop living on just protein and veg, I have gained 20 lbs. ๐Ÿ™ƒ
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    About blood sugar and all, I've been prediabetic/insulin resistant for like 2o years now and haven't checked myself recently, maybe I just don't wanna look, in case. But I have had to follow a far lower gylcemic diet in general than most people, in an attempt not to just progress right into full blown diabetes.

One thing I learned is that white bread has the highest glycemic index of any food. It has an index of 100 whereas cane sugar has a lower one than that. So it's the #1 thing to avoid if you want not to have a blood sugar roller coasters ride.

That may also ne partly why it's so seductive and addictive, that sugar rush. wheat gluten also activates your body's own receptor systems and may give an addictive drug like rush. Supposedly that makes bread, or gluten more generally, harder to quit for some people, than other addictive substances.

I never had any kind of soda addiction but can agree carbonated beverages are unhealthy for a variety of reasons.

I did really well at living very lowcarb for many years, but have fallen down with it lately, partly because ai started becoming allergic to half the healthy vegetables I used to base my meals around. No more cauliflower for me, and no almond either or coconut so I get how impossible all those keto alternatives are for those with food allergies.

But since I had to stop living on just protein and veg, I have gained 20 lbs. ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Oh dang! I didn't know white bread was that bad! Thankfully, I just try to avoid it as much as possible unless I'm eating fast food. And that's why I like to bake on my own too so I can choose what ingredients to use.

Ah, the struggle is real with food allergies! ๐Ÿ˜ญ I used to be able to eat almond too (or maybe I thought I did XD) and now I can't anymore and it's so annoying to see all these recipes recommending almond flour as a replacement. ๐Ÿ˜ฉ
    FwDXXd5.gif

Oh dang! I didn't know white bread was that bad! Thankfully, I just try to avoid it as much as possible unless I'm eating fast food. And that's why I like to bake on my own too so I can choose what ingredients to use.

Ah, the struggle is real with food allergies! ๐Ÿ˜ญ I used to be able to eat almond too (or maybe I thought I did XD) and now I can't anymore and it's so annoying to see all these recipes recommending almond flour as a replacement. ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

I feel you. One thing you can do though if you just need to bake using white flour, is don't do it as often, and do it with a lot of fat to slow down the carb digestion. It's one reason aside from deliciousness that a croissant is the indulgence I will have l, if I'm going to have one: the high fat content alows it down. Plus it tends to have fewer carbs than something dense like a scone or biscuit or the horror that is the American 50 to 60 net gram of carb bagel.

Baking with whole wheat flour is very difficult unless you only use a little in a dough with mostly white, and not great at all for pastries.
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    Today's Q Q is:
    What's a film you didn't see in theaters but now sincerely wish you had?

Spider-man: No Way Home. :D

I feel you. One thing you can do though if you just need to bake using white flour, is don't do it as often, and do it with a lot of fat to slow down the carb digestion. It's one reason aside from deliciousness that a croissant is the indulgence I will have l, if I'm going to have one: the high fat content alows it down. Plus it tends to have fewer carbs than something dense like a scone or biscuit or the horror that is the American 50 to 60 net gram of carb bagel.

Baking with whole wheat flour is very difficult unless you only use a little in a dough with mostly white, and not great at all for pastries.

I wish it were that easy. I love baking, I bake every Sunday!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚ That's why I use whole wheat flour almost every time, if not I would have gained like 10 kg from eating white bread all the time for the past 3 years. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Plus, I get too bloated and gassy eating white bread too. LOL. Whole wheat flour's not too bad honestly but maybe I'm just quite experienced with it and know how to switch it easily from a recipe that uses all purpose flour.

I didn't know about fat thing!! I always feel a bit bad eating something very buttery or fat. That's good to know! I'm also experimenting on what type of diet works for me tho. I know I gain more weight when I eat too much sugar or fat, but that was like a year ago... So I have to try it again now and see how much has changed, or not. LOL.

This Sunday, I will be trying to use oat flour for the first time to bake! I'm excited for that. I'm thinking of making pizza. I just need to buy some pepperoni. Maybe I'll post a pic of it here when it's done. :D
    FwDXXd5.gif
    I had several food allergies as a child but outgrew all of them. Potatoes were the biggie. There were others but I can't remember them right now.

I never used to count homemade bread, even if it was made entirely with all-purpose flour as white bread. White, in my mind, referred to the nasty stuff you got at the store. It wasn't until after I was diagnosed with diabetes that people were able to hammer it into my head that if it's bread and it's made with all-purpose flour it's white bread. That of all the things that blow my blood sugar up is what I miss most. I adore fresh homemade bread. I also love potatoes, rice, and pasta, but with those things I've found ways to have them all the time and still put up good numbers.

For me potatoes are kind of weird. If it's fries it all comes down to the cut. If it's a thick cut it's a total non starter, unless I'm willing to take the hit. But what's weird is, I can eat the exact same amount, say 4oz, of thin cut fries and I barely get a blip, 80-90. Four ounces of steak fries, I'll be over 150. Fresh potatoes, especially the b-size reds, I eat them no problems. Bigger russets, if I boil them for an hour, peel them and then let them rest overnight in the fridge, I can eat away. If I cook and eat them right away it will blow me up, depending on portion size obviously.

With pasta I can have it anytime if I keep portion sizes reasonable, and if I eat one of two brands. One is Dreamfields, the other is exclusive to our regional grocery chain Hy-Vee, it's called Gustare Vita. Those two if I can maintain self-control I'm good to go. Pasta is my second most loved food right behind homemade bread.

Rice is easy. I can go nuts, lose my mind, if I take the time to very thoroughly rinse it before I cook it. No short cuts. The water has to come through the rice and be crystal clear. If I take the 10 minutes or so to get there, I can pig out. Plus my rice is soooo soft and fluffy and not even the slightest bit sticky. I'm not making sushi, so my rice doesn't need to be sticky. It usually goes in a pot of jambalaya, red beans and rice, or in a bowl with some yummy gumbo.๐Ÿ˜‹
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    Today's Q Q is:
    What's a film you didn't see in theaters but now sincerely wish you had?

Spider-man: No Way Home. :D

Top gun maverick
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king

Rice is easy. I can go nuts, lose my mind, if I take the time to very thoroughly rinse it before I cook it. No short cuts. The water has to come through the rice and be crystal clear. If I take the 10 minutes or so to get there, I can pig out. Plus my rice is soooo soft and fluffy and not even the slightest bit sticky. I'm not making sushi, so my rice doesn't need to be sticky. It usually goes in a pot of jambalaya, red beans and rice, or in a bowl with some yummy gumbo.๐Ÿ˜‹

Ooh rice is good. Very friendly for Diabetes and especially so if your stomach is sensitive. Mine often is unfortunately. Good on you for making rice at home, I lazy out usually and buy the stuff from the shop and just have to heat it up. I work long hours and don't always have time..... And I'm lazy ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
    You sound a creative cook. I sadly, am not.

Rice is friendly for diabetes? Not according to my results but mileage must vary a lot. Rice is a very concentrated form of fast-digested carbohydrate, very much like potatoes, pasta, and bread in that respect. I admire your thorough rinsing and superb results. I just personally won't eat it almost ever, and when I do, about two heaping spoonfuls is a literal measured 30 gram serving so that's eating it more like a garnish than anything else, so to me, that's a "why bother" because I don't feel like two mouthfuls is enough to be worth the trouble.

I do sometimes go to the trouble to make ๐Ÿฃ and then the hard part is eating only 2 pieces but that is a full serving of rice, and more would do me harm. I can't eat store-bought sushi, not only is it terrible, it's covered in sauces and toppings to disguise that and they have ingredients Im allergic to.

Pardon my ramblings, so tired of being sick and tired, not even pc games feel fun now. Need to find something to watch but could only settle on Southpark reruns. Tried Hacks on HBO max and meh. Anyone have some suggestions?

```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    My custom ear tips are here!!! Agsjhkdhjskfjshfdl.

Putting it in spoiler in case it grosses you guys out to see my ear canal shape, like last time with my ear mold. ๐Ÿคฃ I promise they look dope here tho.
    NHte0OJ.jpg
    FwDXXd5.gif
    Today's Q Q is:
    If you were stranded on a desert island, how would you ask for help?

Find leaves or stones and write out a big "SOS" on the 'beach area'.... if the island has a sandy empty area. XD If not then, uhm...

Looks awesome DeKay ๐Ÿ˜Ž I think anything like that is wicked. Love the colours as well.

Thank you. Black and gold is just chef's kiss. ๐ŸคŒ๐ŸคŒ
    FwDXXd5.gif
    Those were cool earbuds, Dekay! Nothing gross about them.

Thanks, Snookums (what a cute name).

Desert island, same...forming sos on a clear area...burning green brush for smoke by day, and keeping a signal fire by night...if I had a signal mirror I could try flashing morse code sos but that's harder than it sounds, to get such a signal seen by anyone, unless your signaling reflector has that tiny cross in the center to help aim it at your target. Worth trying but unlikely to succeed, so even just getting attention that way is a long shot, maybe no point in trying for the SOS in morse. But I know it, so I would use it if I could.

If all else failed, I would whip out my emergency deck of waterproof cards and start playing solitaire. Someone would be bound to come along and tell me to put the queen of hearts over the jack of spades. ๐Ÿคฃ
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    edited September 2022
    Here's my oatmeal pizza crust (pizza). They're not that bad. Can't even taste the oatmealness. I accidentally poured too much vital wheat gluten but I still find that it could use some more. XD

DiyRinZ.jpg
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    I feel a little better that my computer now has 32 GB of RAM.
    9d1z2m12k175.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top