Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    This sounds like an interesting experiment. I'm still not interested in Scenarios, but I'm glad to see that they're innovating and evolving them. They kind of remind me of Sims Life Stories, though I doubt they'd get as crazy as some of those stories.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,013 Member
    I've played a few scenarios and enjoyed them. A couple had buggy endings, but I was able to finish them all. These new scenarios sound like more thought was put into the stories. Could be fun to play.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    Seems like the sims are trying to get away from the sandbox game and evolve the game towards simmers playing scenarios written by the devs. I enjoyed one or two scenarios but I prefer the sandbox type of gameplay by far. I hope the next patch focuses on fixing the game, not just the scenarios.
  • CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    I wish it gave us the choice on whether to start in an existing save or a new one.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited September 2022
    From the very beginning I have had no interest in scenarios, and I can't help but think they are testing the waters for TS5 to see how well people like playing these types of things. TS5 will probably be a lot like a mobile game, if they go the multiplayer route. That's what they remind me of .... a mobile game, just like the timed Scenarios, why would you need a timed event like that for a single player game unless you're testing to see if it makes people play them and induce FOMO. There's not even a good reward for finishing them. They're just super odd to me.
    Post edited by Chicklet453681 on
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    edited August 2022
    Idk I feel kind of frustrated about scenarios

like on one hand fomo cause some of them actually sound fun like the alien one and these with premades

but on other hand ive really got endless stories and sims to play with without doing any of these scenario things

idk i just end up pretending they don't exist
    cause thats only reaction that makes sense with how many they throw out constantly

like i just don't have enough time on earth to do both my own stories and the scenarios

even less when its time limited like some of the scenarios are
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I enjoyed scenarios as a side gig that sometimes would take me out of my comfort zone. But their strength was always that they were mini goals that easily integrated into ongoing stories. For example my first playthrough of Perfectly well rounded featured the Governor visiting my city incognito, posing as a newcomer.

I would have welcomed scenarios to become more complex, like Making money randomly slapping you with an unexpected tax demand or the offer to buy a servo for a hefty price. Them turning into interactive short stories with pre-defined actors is the opposite of what The Sims used to be about.
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,013 Member
    I also prefer regular play to scenarios. Scenarios are nice for a mini goal-oriented diversion. But in every scenario I played, after finishing, I took the sims from the scenario into ongoing sandbox play. I didn't want to abandon them! For me, the sims themselves are more important than the scenario challenge.
  • grassharpgrassharp Posts: 70 Member
    I absolutely loved these scenarios--they are perfect for people like me who aren't imaginative enough to put a well-developed character into an interesting environment. I mostly use whims (well, now wants-and-fears) based gameplay for that reason. I've done the scenarios with Farrah & Nova--I had a fabulous time. I started The Martinez Family, but didn't get very far. My chief complaint going through The Sims 4, and I know I'm not the only one, is that the sims simply don't feel complex or deep--in those two scenarios, they did. The game felt alive again. This should teach me that the game has the capacity to be complex & engaging; I simply need to learn to develop my sims more fully and commit to the stories I want to tell.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    grassharp wrote: »
    I absolutely loved these scenarios--they are perfect for people like me who aren't imaginative enough to put a well-developed character into an interesting environment. I mostly use whims (well, now wants-and-fears) based gameplay for that reason. I've done the scenarios with Farrah & Nova--I had a fabulous time. I started The Martinez Family, but didn't get very far. My chief complaint going through The Sims 4, and I know I'm not the only one, is that the sims simply don't feel complex or deep--in those two scenarios, they did. The game felt alive again. This should teach me that the game has the capacity to be complex & engaging; I simply need to learn to develop my sims more fully and commit to the stories I want to tell.

Looks like I was too harsh in dismissing the new format then. I never looked at the combination of scenario and premade family as a storytelling tutorial, but if it worked for you as such, then that's a good thing. I think I'm mainly grumpy because ever since the neighborhood stories it feels as if The Sims team was dialing back sandbox elements in favour of a much more guided experience, as a result taking away from the game's uniqueness.
  • grassharpgrassharp Posts: 70 Member
    grassharp wrote: »

Looks like I was too harsh in dismissing the new format then. I never looked at the combination of scenario and premade family as a storytelling tutorial, but if it worked for you as such, then that's a good thing. I think I'm mainly grumpy because ever since the neighborhood stories it feels as if The Sims team was dialing back sandbox elements in favour of a much more guided experience, as a result taking away from the game's uniqueness.

And I think that's definitely true in this case--it's very, very guided, even more so than previous scenarios, and it would not be suitable for people who really enjoy creating their own stories--but it's a great way to figure out what the game is actually capable of--so for new players or for players who have just lost that spark, it's very useful.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member
    Sims 4 has been under a lot of criticism for being too sandbox, with a lot of players demanding more TS2 style gameplay. “It’s too easy” is the common complaint. I feel that scenarios are a way to incorporate more game directed play into the Sims 4 experience for those who want that. Ditto Neighborhood Stories and Wants/Fear. I like sandbox, so I’ve never played them. But, since they’re all optional (assuming they fix Wants/Fears so it actually stays turned off) I’m fine with them for those who like them.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    As in music or improv comedy, improvising on a prompt or with some other kind of structure or limitations is different from free unstructured improv. I like both.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    As I had to replace my computer and start anew, I have been playing the scenarios starting with the first. Except for any expired of course.

I do have a backup of my original game but this just feels like a nice light way to play for a while.

Also am playing Castaway again and enjoy it more this time around. Of course, I will be living on Kraft Dinner for a while now. LOL
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • SimSoonSimSoon Posts: 55 Member
    Cangwen wrote: »
    I wish it gave us the choice on whether to start in an existing save or a new one.

It does
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I don't like scenarios. I have attempted to play them in the past, but only for less than a couple of minutes, just not my thing.
  • PhillipaErdnussPhillipaErdnuss Posts: 74 Member
    I like the scenarios. Sometimes they serve me for a starting point when I don‘t have an idea myself on how to start a new save. Just another option to CAS, storymode in CAS or a challenge.

But I also have a save where I only play the different scenarios. And it is so nice coming across sims from scenarios I played before and have them interact with my current scenario-sim.
    Phillipa Erdnuss
    Mayoress of SimCity and all associated districts
    Let this cart-button disappear!
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I like these Story Driven ones. They are definitely a step up from the other scenarios that are more like challenges. Wouldn't mind seeing more, especially when they throw in some NPC's they've made for said story too. It's actually pretty fun. Reminds me of Sims 2 lifestories a little bit plus the set up for Sims 2 Premade households when the story is set up and you can go a more than just one way with it
    5vJrxmT.png
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    With the new scenarios tied to designated families, this could be interesting if they implemented it in new expansions with the premades (or the base save file update we were promised a year ago). I still wouldn’t play them regularly, but it would help the worlds have more in-depth stories. I started the Curious one just to see how it goes, and the programmed phone calls were interesting. I think I still prefer playing with my own sims and stories.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Not at all interested in scenarios. There are so many things in the Sims that I have and may never use.

If they go to multi-player, if TS5 ever happens, TS4 will be the last one for me. I like playing on my own. There are plenty of multi-player games for those who like them.