Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Make Camping more realistic/ add hunting?

Should they make camping more realistic, or harder? Ie, let storms ruin your tent and having to build or find shelter, gathering wood for camp fires or crafting, hunting for food, etc? I would be cool if hunting was a rabbit hole, like in Sims Medieval if they didn't want to animate animal deaths, just give them a little more to do. Exploration, maybe add a real bear that won't necessarily kill, but it could hurt them? I mean, camping is roughing it out, not hanging out in a green paradise. Maybe add archery or other hunting weapons and tools to enhance the hunting skill? It would give those with the rags to riches challenge a more enhanced experience if out in the open. Maybe even add traps in the rabbit hole and use caught meat as bait for bigger game. If one is going to add hunting, maybe they can add jerky or the ability to make trail mixes. Or boil river water for "safe" water. Stuff like that?

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I don't think anyone really goes hunting while camping. Camping is more for relaxation and maybe fishing. It takes a lot of effort to hunt and then prepare a big animal like a deer or wild hog. And whatever bloody bits you discard would attract other big carnivorous animals like wolves and bears and no one wants that.
  • Mak27Mak27 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Hunting while camping is not even a often thing. Only in few cases like survival camping or hog riding.

Instead hunting, maybe archery, improved fishing or axe throwing. Maybe adding wolves or deers but not for hunting.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    More as outdoor activity, then? Camping as-is... all I see that's new is maybe herbalism and horse shoes.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    More as outdoor activity, then? Camping as-is... all I see that's new is maybe herbalism and horse shoes.

They could bring back bird watching from TS2 and expand on the bird feathers/pictures collection. Add more rock climbing locations, maybe even a small ledge/cave sims could shelter in, beaver dams and tombstoning, mountain bike rides, etc. Many times camping is just a secondary activity or a necessity while people are out in the wilderness pursuing other activities. Maybe they are there for mountain sports like mountain biking, rock climbing, cave exploration, rafting, etc., or sometimes photography, trying to take pictures of the elusive snow leopard in its natural habitat, or bigfoot, or the milky way and the planets.
  • Jade47Jade47 Posts: 206 Member
    I'd be extremely surprised if you ever see hunting in this game given that in cottage living animals have to be traded for meat as an interaction, rather than "send to butcher and receive steaks" and to be fair its because it upsets some people, especially certain organisations and inevitably everything becomes political these days and leads to bad press. Now archery as a sport hobby would be interesting, canoeing would be another good one but would require more worlds with interactive water. I like the bird watching idea and the photography too. So in general more outdoor stuff would be nice.
  • ArarineArarine Posts: 250 Member
    Most camping place forbid hunting also hunting is restricted in many country. I prefer watching bird and deer more than hurt them.
    Wish more Recipe/harvestable/woodwork/craftableWish live in businessWish more interactive between sims and activityWish a lot of refresh and Better resize pleaseWish for another colour upgrade swatchWish for pool sliderFix the bug please
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    Where I live people like to camp and hunt. It's not legal (because the woods around me are a wildlife reservation) but they do it anyway. It is very common for people to hunt & camp in my area. I wouldn't object to it being added. I think there are hunting mods for Sims2.
  • ArarineArarine Posts: 250 Member
    Suceress wrote: »
    Where I live people like to camp and hunt. It's not legal (because the woods around me are a wildlife reservation) but they do it anyway. It is very common for people to hunt & camp in my area. I wouldn't object to it being added. I think there are hunting mods for Sims2.

If it is llegal that mean bad even most of ignorant tourist didn't care💢 and camping mean enjoy beauty of natural not to destroy it! I am 🐸🐸🐸🐸 enough with those litter on camping site. I will prefer shot those illegal hunter more. If they want to hunting, there is legal hunting site! Did you said wildlife reservation? I wish they just accident shot each other!
    Wish more Recipe/harvestable/woodwork/craftableWish live in businessWish more interactive between sims and activityWish a lot of refresh and Better resize pleaseWish for another colour upgrade swatchWish for pool sliderFix the bug please
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited August 2022
    Werewolves can hunt for food.

But this task is more difficult than fishing, your sim could be hurt by the traps, attacked by bigger animals or the traps may never work.
    A dog with Hunter trait could help.

Hunting should be used in last resort before starving to death (Survival mode).
    IDK, all hunting would be is a rabbit hole. Still, if we have enough plants to survive, we may not get enough protein- unless we find a poop-ton of nuts- unless you can't eat said nuts. Fats are another factor. Without protein, you'll lack energy- and fats help keep warm. Yes, kids, there is actually a reason behind the usually unhealthy stuff... ;)

Injuries could be a toggle for the die-hard survivalists to turn on. Make splits, use vines to wrap wounds, add a chopper optionally come look for you if you get lost or stick it out in the wilderness- and live there, if you're survivalist material. Maybe add a trading mechanism to make deals with the few other survivors. Perhaps even have some additional herbal remedies, or even a survivalist skill to enhance your chances of survival?
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited August 2022
    @Gamer_34567544

In fact vegetarian sims don't eat meat.

Fish, egg and edible insect are also other options.

• jellybelly_3jellybelly_3 Posts: 75 Member
    > @Gamer_34567544 said:
    > Should they make camping more realistic, or harder? Ie, let storms ruin your tent and having to build or find shelter, gathering wood for camp fires or crafting, hunting for food, etc? I would be cool if hunting was a rabbit hole, like in Sims Medieval if they didn't want to animate animal deaths, just give them a little more to do. Exploration, maybe add a real bear that won't necessarily kill, but it could hurt them? I mean, camping is roughing it out, not hanging out in a green paradise. Maybe add archery or other hunting weapons and tools to enhance the hunting skill? It would give those with the rags to riches challenge a more enhanced experience if out in the open. Maybe even add traps in the rabbit hole and use caught meat as bait for bigger game. If one is going to add hunting, maybe they can add jerky or the ability to make trail mixes. Or boil river water for "safe" water. Stuff like that?

I agree with everything you're saying! Like if camping had more realistic features such as hunting, storms influencing your tent causing you to have to search for shelter, etc. I would actually play it more and enjoy it
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    I have a fear of outdoors, so I'd fear ticks and vipers.

And yes, it would be great to see animals in the wild too. I keep adding rabbit stumps, bird trees, and fox lot challenges to every Granite Falls lot due to this.

Right now, it does seem like go outdoors and relax. It is the first game pack after all (with rumors of it getting a refresh)...
    Wondering if they'll ever make a return of deer in the game? They had them in TS3. Would be amazing to see them, plus some new ones.
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    Deer and wolves would be cool to add. I actually wouldn't mind if we had a rabbithole where we go in and hunt, but setting traps or using bow & arrow, slingshot, etc to catch stuff would be nice.
    For the record, I actually heard bear meat is absolutely disgusting.
    @Gamer_34567544

In fact vegetarian sims don't eat meat.

Fish, egg and edible insect are also other options.

We need some sort of danger in the game, though. I mean, getting the money to pay for a cure of the deadly insect disease is so easy... and Greg is only a mere nuisance. And Temperance? Eh, just let my witch or vampire daze her and she flees. Only monster that took time to defeat was the mother plant- but the steps to do it were so easy to follow. Traps and injuries might give the game just enough.

Like if you other Simmers agree things are far too casual atm.