Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The grand sequel to: "The first one to page 100 wins!"

Comments

• ImmyQuokkaImmyQuokka Posts: 32 Member
    Wow, I was here about a month ago and people still had their sanity, what happened while I was gone?? I mean, there are people up here writing whole paragraphs on how corrupt our education systems are and the injustice we are being given. Literally.
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited August 2022
    I feel you about the horribly depressive literature they seem bent on making kids and teens read in schools, @WhatCobblers I used to say sarcastically tHt they were just trying to push us all over the edge. I mean really, I think there is some misguided movement in art that shock and horror are the only things worth taking note of. It is harder to write uplifting things well, than to play to the nase impulse to stare at a trainwreck. Sure, there's a lot wrong with the world but part of what is wrong is adults thinking that throwing the garbage they should be dealing with, onto the kids. Kids are our future but they shouldn't have to handle the weight of the world instead of us! 🤔

I felt like school was hypocritical. It was purported to be a way to support democracy and social mobility, that any kid could, by doing well at school, ensure a better future for themself. What a crock! First off, the poorest kids get the worst schools and the fewest resources, so nothing is equitable from the start. They also have the least access to enrichment, and their parents are usually the most stretched and stressed. So from the start there is no equal opportunity or equity, schools reinforce class and economic divisions and worsen them.
    Not that schools shouldn't exist.. they just need to be made equitable and a fair, equal chance for all kids. That poor kids should go to schools just as resourced and funded as rich kids. No more favoritism in how schools are funded. Sports and activities should likewise be paid for by tax money, completely, rather than by parents paying hefty fees, so everyone gets the same footing from which to have a chance to play. It's grotesque how our legislation leaves kids at the mercy of the market and what advantages their parents can buy them. That fails the mission of schools lifting kids out of poverty if they try hard. No amount of trying will get poor kids the same opportunities and supports rich kids get to have and it should be illegal honestly, to discriminate against children based on their ability to pay.

Yes, it's a soapbox issue for me. I'll sit down now. But I will never concede that it's ok that that injustice keeps getting permitted in the US.

Couldn't agree more. We have a similar problem in the UK. Comprehensive/public schools and SEN schools are stretched for staff and funding whilst the richer kids and private schools have all the best, which is an absolute shame because there are (I believe) just as many brilliant and talented people in poorer communities who end up being discouraged from trying because they either don't have access to facilities or the exposure to different career paths is not there in the first place. (Don't even get me started on the lack of options for people with complex disabilities once they leave school).
    In many areas, children have to rely on youth clubs/organisations or charities to have opportunities such as art, drama, sport or music*(and even these are often at risk of closing) but it would be great if there could be automatic government funding for these so that everyone had the same chance.

* I could write an essay on the benefits of these subjects to mental health and well-being but at the risk of boring other readers I won't.
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,669 Member
    edited August 2022
    DeKay wrote: »
    Today's Q Q is:
    Did you enjoy school?

School is so much more fun than adulting!!! 😅 The only good thing about being an adult is that I don't have to worry about exams. LOL.

It depends, most of the time there's no "enjoy". on average tend to be neutral

When I was in elementary school, I don't remember why my parents made me eat breakfast at school (I think it's probably no time). The breakfasts of the two elementary schools I studied (it's fixed every time, the school workers brings the big bucket of food into the classroom and the teachers distributes it to us) often have half-fat-and-lean pork that is chopped and no deep-cooked. I'm (no deep-cooked) pork fat intolerance. Although I can ask the teacher not to give me soup (soup and noodle are separated in bucket), but porridge can only be tried as much as possible. This makes me really dislike having breakfast at school, but that wasn't the case after junior high school.

After 5th grade I suddenly became a long sleeper so I had to sleep in the classroom. The teachers knew my situation and acquiesced, and so did the junior high school. Because my grades are good and my parents don't pay attention to grades, I don't worry about exams. I only have been troubled by math and literature composition since the 4th grade, but my other parts can improve my overall score. When I was in elementary school, most of the time I was in the top three in the class (the classes I have in had at least 30+ people, and at most about 50 people). In junior and high school, although it was not so good, it was still in the front. Many classmates asked me why my grades were so good even if I slept every day, but I really don't know. From junior high to high school, I was always regarded as a "high IQ freak" or something similar, many of my classmates felt that I had an inexplicable sense of strangeness.
    In that elementary school was my most "enjoy" time. The school is relatively large compared to an elementary school, and the natural environment is very good. There's a place full of Hong Kong orchid trees. Many students pick up the fallen flowers and break open the stems to suck them. I have done the same, there's a flower-liked sweet air (I don't know if this's really safe, it's best not to imitate). An abandoned football field is rich in ladybugs and small grey butterflies, and when it is wet, mushrooms often grow. I've also seen purple collybia albuminosa elsewhere. A few of my classmates was caught on the spot by the principal for stealing some kind of fruits (can't remember what it's called, it's often used to make sour fruit in my city).

In high school, because it's busier than before, every classmate had slept in class, my class teacher even said, "you can sleep but you can't disturb others". When the third year of high school, the school even forced to make up classes on weekends. My high school is a private school, so the Education Bureau can't directly control it. At that time, I were very tired every day, my classmates also complained one by one, I even heard the class teacher privately scold the superior for making up classes on weekends. Until one day, a classmate from another class reported it to the Education Bureau, then they became hero😂😂😂

In university, I chose a major that happened to be leisurely, so at that time, I was only tired when I had to go to class at 8:30am. In addition to this and related effects, I was also plagued by the inconvenience of using a computer in my dorm for anything other than studying (there's no separate room in the dormitory and there's loft bed with desk, the desk will make the computer screen face the aisle, I'm shy to let others see me doing things other than studying and working without permission) and being too far from home.
    Post edited by Shadow_Assassin on
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

What song could you listen to over and over and not get tired of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bCSlc3W_wg

Currently, I think it's still this one. Recently, I had to remove it from my 'on loop' playlist cuz it's getting too much and I need help. 😂😂
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    ImmyQuokka wrote: »
    Wow, I was here about a month ago and people still had their sanity, what happened while I was gone?? I mean, there are people up here writing whole paragraphs on how corrupt our education systems are and the injustice we are being given. Literally.

Nice to meet you?🤔
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    Today's Q Q is:

Currently, I think it's still this one. Recently, I had to remove it from my 'on loop' playlist cuz it's getting too much and I need help. 😂😂

Strangely l, I have all but stopped listening to music much ex ept in the car and then I rarely bother doing phone Playlist, then get annoyed because there's nothing good on the radio 😄

It's been too much of a scramble lately, so much of change and uncertainty, and I have had calls to make, emails to follow up on and to write, paperwork to fill in, had to turn down a job I was offered due to the hours conflicting with other obligations. That felt terrible but I couldn't help it.

Lately I just want some mellow soothing focus or jazz to zone out to.

So Ottmar Liebert instrumentals are always nice for that.

What does everyone else listen to, to wind down?
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    Today's Q Q is:
    What is a TV show intro/sequence that you never/rarely skip?

The Peacemaker one is pretty good. 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrr3UNALww

Strangely l, I have all but stopped listening to music much ex ept in the car and then I rarely bother doing phone Playlist, then get annoyed because there's nothing good on the radio 😄

It's been too much of a scramble lately, so much of change and uncertainty, and I have had calls to make, emails to follow up on and to write, paperwork to fill in, had to turn down a job I was offered due to the hours conflicting with other obligations. That felt terrible but I couldn't help it.

I'm pretty hardcore so I rarely wind down. My idea of winding down is usually jumping around my room and rocking out. But I am currently obsessed with this one that is like slower than my other current faves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BCzDpNyZBM

I love pretending to be able to hit those head voices from 3:38 onwards.

me2merr_195308442_860072447942775_7839172230735332191_n-2057565361.jpg

And then after that, I go straight to Glitch Theory by Profiler cuz that intro riff is a big boss riff. 🤣
    https://youtu.be/SxDSqwkcYQQ
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,547 Member
    edited August 2022
    Today's Q Q is:

I use music to de stress a lot. I listen to smooth jazz but also like ambient music, especially if it has binaural beats. Steven Halpern is a favorite.
    Today's Q Q is:
    Do you ever hunt for answers or omens in dreams?

Yes, sometimes I do. 😅
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,547 Member
    If I have a vivid dream, I know to pay attention. It’s usually giving me some insight into what’s going on in my life. I’m pretty good at deciphering most recurring symbols in my dreams.

Currently obsessed with this song ever since I saw the singer of Profiler sing it. 😅

It's like I'm back to being 12 years old again. I miss those days when they actually had music like this on Top 40 radio. 😭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kvd-uquuhI
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member
    I actually never skip through the opening credits in tv shows/movies. I enjoy them.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,648 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

There are quite a lot I could happily choose, though I'm going to say this one...
    https://youtu.be/0G383538qzQ
    Today's Q Q is:
    What is a TV show intro/sequence that you never/rarely skip?

Game Of Thrones. Even now after all these years...oh, wait a minute🤔...I forgot that's also the theme for the new show House Of The Dragon.🤣

The Simpsons is another.
    Today's Q Q is:
    Do you ever hunt for answers or omens in dreams?

Yes. On the rare occasion that I can remember one.

Today's Q Q is:

How do you show kindness to others?

I don't think I do. I'm terrible. 😅😭 Maybe something simple like holding the door open button at the elevator till everyone is out. LOL. That's as kind as I can get.
    FwDXXd5.gif
    Today's Q Q is:

I don't think I do. I'm terrible. 😅😭 Maybe something simple like holding the door open button at the elevator till everyone is out. LOL. That's as kind as I can get.

I don't know, but many people say I'm kind. I think it's because I'm good-tempered and generous in some ways
    Entrance to the abyss
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Today's Q Q is:

I never really thought about it. Being patient, understanding, lending help whenever possible, just basic good manners...IDK.

Today's Q Q is:
    Are you afraid of something very silly?

Balloons. LOL. Butterflies too.
    FwDXXd5.gif
    Today's Q Q is:

Balloons. LOL. Butterflies too.

If it means "irrational" (although I don't think irrational must be silly, even fear of chickens can be explained as atavism), some moths. If it means "weird", none
    Entrance to the abyss

Today's Q Q is:

I try to be kind and courteous as a driver, and when moving in qnd around other people. I also tend to give money to someone standing out holding a sign, because I know that despite how desperate local businesses say they are for help, if someone is on the most need for a job possible, which is to say, unhoused, that is usually a barrier to employment because they won't hire anyone without a set address. Horrible policy and why people yelling "get a job!" to someone in that position is so misguided.

If someone looks to be struggling with carrying something, or is on foot in nasty weather, I offer help.
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    Today's Q Q is:

Clowns.
    edited September 2022
    Today's Q Q is:
    How your taste in music has evolved and what it's like now?

Here's my whole music 'journey'/evolution. 😬

5-9 years old: Very numetal-ish. I was listening to stuff like Linkin Park. I think I was pretty gangsta cuz I thought Linkin Park was rock but apparently they're considered metal. 😅 And it's so funny cuz at the time, I knew the genre they did was numetal but for some reason, I thought numetal was a subgenre of rock. LOL. Silly me.

10-14 yrs old: Very pop punk/punk rock. So like Good Charlotte, Sum 41 and Simple Plan. Maybe a bit of alternative metal too like Breaking Benjamin (which again, at the time I thought it was alternative rock). I swear to God, when I was kid, I just don't think anything is metal.
    Metal? I don't know her.
    mariah-carey-i-dont-know-her.gif

14-16 yrs old: I was very into post hardcore.

17-18 yrs old: Somehow I started listening to a lot of indie pop or post punk revival like Bloc Party and Two Door Cinema Club.

19 yrs till now: Mainly went back to post hardcore but I'm also listening to a few metalcore stuff now too. 😬 Mainly most bands that I listen to now are considered metalcore. Post hardcore is not so huge anymore.
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,748 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

Through listening. I try to be careful as to how I react to others and try to think about things from others' perspectives and what they might be going/have been through that might make them behave in certain ways.

Today's Q Q is:

Childhood: I'd sometimes listen to tapes my parents played that were mostly 80s albums like Fleetwood Mac or Phil Collins. Also the occasional but of classical music.
    Was a big fan of the Spice Girls when they came out.

Teens: Mostly pop music, usually compilation CDs. I liked musicals and American style rock too. Had CDs of Fall Out Boy and a couple of Green Day singles*. Still also liked a lot of songs from my childhood.

Adulthood: 90s and 80s music, particularly 80s rock , cheesy disco music, musicals (especially some of Andrew Lloyd Webber's), still partial to a bit of pop and rock and very partial to a bit of Eurovision!

*Am not exactly sure which genres a lot of my favourite CDs came under, I just liked the songs.
    Today's Q Q is:
    *Am not exactly sure which genres a lot of my favourite CDs came under, I just liked the songs.

I sort of understand genres, it's all these infinite sub-genres that I don't understand. I like a song or I don't. I was raised to love music, period.

edited September 2022

That's alright. A lot of times, the bands themselves don't know what genre they are. 😂😂 I would say mid 2000's Green Day was pop punk which I'm assuming was what you're referring to since you also mentioned Fall Out Boy. Man, just remembered how FOB has changed their sound. 🤧
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,934 Member
    Slow days today!
    L9q8VGi.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top