Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SKILLS we want to see?

What sort of skills should they add?

A few ideas:

archery/Olympics
hunting
leather making
science- not like logic, with microscopes, more like mixing chemicals or elements to make things
welding
myths- reveals ancient items and allows you to use special trinkets from way back when, and later realize the new stuff are all connected.

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Clock making - so we get working clocks in game
    Perfumery and Cosmetics - adds a bit of science stuff with testube and beakers and a production line. Could have perfumes and deodorants to make sims smell fresh longer, some self tanning lotion and after sun lotion, serums to keep wrinkles at bay, lip plumping lipsticks, etc.
    Chocolate making - sims learn to make chocolate, and prepare everything from hot chocolate drinks to chocolate tablets, chocolate figurines, and chocolate bonbons in beautiful gift boxes
    Chinese and Japanese style painting - expand the painting skill to include additional painting styles. Also caricature portraits and charcoal buildings.
    Upcycling furniture - change drab, uninteresting game furniture into bright and fun pieces

81_2BGOTjqXwL._AC_SL1500_cd5640f2-668d-43e0-9518-08e5c9d1b069_2000x2000.jpg

repurposed-furniture-2.jpg?1591219837

bedsidedresserbna+(Custom).jpg

upcycling-collage-drawers-2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Chest-of-Drawers-Multi-Makeover.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

lx2he8dee7251.jpg?auto=webp&s=d088936ef1b85b27991e54684018560eecc60ab1

retro-white-washed-painted-upcycled-bike-table-with-a-basket-482x602.jpg&nocache=1
  • Options
    redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,053 Member
    edited August 2022
    My wants are a combination of old stuff/new stuff
    • Archery - I hadn't thought of it but yeah why not.
    • Auto Maintenance - I thought of this as a concession to folks who have been wanting cars for years. We really have no where to drive but having played Sims 2. Sims 4 isn't much different
    • Candy Making/Chocolate Making - I actually would like this within the confines of cooking and new recipes though rather than a new skill. I seriously would NOT like any new huge appliance needed to use this either. Just regular stoves or commercial stoves
    • Fencing
    • Glassblowing
    • Horseback Riding
    • Jewel crafting - We already have the metals and gemstones for the most part. We just need the skill.
    • Martial Arts & Tai Chi
    • Nectar Making and the beautiful neighborhood (Provence) and build pieces that would come with it
    • Perfume Making personally I'd like this alongside the aforementioned Nectar Making because I'd love to see fields of Lavender. I'd love the new plants to cultivate to go along with that like Plumeria
    • Pottery
    • Sand Sculpting - A new fun thing we can do at the beach
    • Sculpting/ Sculpture Making - Bronze, Clay, Glass, Ice, Marble, Sandstone, Scrap Metal, Topiary, Wood
    • Skeet Shooting
    • Sewing

I have three Instruments to suggest. I'd also like bands back
    • Cello
    • Drums
    • Harp

I would like some Updates/Refresh to already existing Skills like Flower Arranging. I think that would be great.

Flower Arranging Updates
    • Arrangements - they all seem really generic. How about some new styles with some complexity
    • Boutonnieres
    • Corsages
    • Garlands & Flower Crowns for animals
    • Ikebana
    • Wedding Bouquets
    • Wreaths

I'd also really like a few things for really lovely Florist shops
    • Florist Refrigerated Cases
    • Front Window for a Florist Shop
    • Door Mat with a few designs for a florist shop
    • Front Door with a florist shop design look
    • Awning that seems appropriate to a florist shop
    • Florist Shop Community Lot designation rather than just "Retail Lot"
    • Perhaps a Lot Trait fitting for a florist shop

I'd also really love to see new Baking recipes. I wouldn't object to an update to Baking going to the Base Pack and all the baking recipes in Cooking being bumped over to Baking. Get To Work has been out for years and I honestly don't think the is a single Simmer so selfish who would begrudge everyone getting the Baking skill if it improves the game as a whole. If it's a Base skill it will more likely get new recipes. The devs would likely compensate with a refresh to Get to Work if they did this so Win/Win.

I think the wonderful suggestion of Upcycling could fitting neatly within the wood working skill and give it a little refresh to breathe new life in an underused skill

Convert Dancing from a minor Skill to a major one. Make new dances available with each skill level. Probably not my best thought out idea but wouldn't you like to see more types of dances
    • Argentinian Tango
    • Lindy Hop
    • Tap
    • Venetian Waltz
    Post edited by redrogue60 on
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Candy and chocolate... I would pay for a candyland or Willie Wonka EP! I wonder if we could finally grow sugar and have lemonade?
  • Options
    ArarineArarine Posts: 252 Member
    redrogue60 wrote: »
    My wants are a combination of old stuff/new stuff
    • Archery - I hadn't thought of it but yeah why not.
    • Auto Maintenance - I thought of this as a concession to folks who have been wanting cars for years. We really have no where to drive but having played Sims 2. Sims 4 isn't much different
    • Candy Making/Chocolate Making - I actually would like this within the confines of cooking and new recipes though rather than a new skill. I seriously would NOT like any new huge appliance needed to use this either. Just regular stoves or commercial stoves
    • Fencing
    • Glassblowing
    • Horseback Riding
    • Jewel crafting - We already have the metals and gemstones for the most part. We just need the skill.
    • Martial Arts & Tai Chi
    • Nectar Making and the beautiful neighborhood (Provence) and build pieces that would come with it
    • Perfume Making personally I'd like this alongside the aforementioned Nectar Making because I'd love to see fields of Lavender. I'd love the new plants to cultivate to go along with that like Plumeria
    • Pottery
    • Sand Sculpting - A new fun thing we can do at the beach
    • Sculpting/ Sculpture Making - Bronze, Clay, Glass, Ice, Marble, Sandstone, Scrap Metal, Topiary, Wood
    • Skeet Shooting
    • Sewing

I have three Instruments to suggest. I'd also like bands back
    • Cello
    • Drums
    • Harp

I would like some Updates/Refresh to already existing Skills like Flower Arranging. I think that would be great.

Flower Arranging Updates
    • Arrangements - they all seem really generic. How about some new styles with some complexity
    • Boutonnieres
    • Corsages
    • Garlands & Flower Crowns for animals
    • Ikebana
    • Wedding Bouquets
    • Wreaths

I'd also really like a few things for really lovely Florist shops
    • Florist Refrigerated Cases
    • Front Window for a Florist Shop
    • Door Mat with a few designs for a florist shop
    • Front Door with a florist shop design look
    • Awning that seems appropriate to a florist shop
    • Florist Shop Community Lot designation rather than just "Retail Lot"
    • Perhaps a Lot Trait fitting for a florist shop

I'd also really love to see new Baking recipes. I wouldn't object to an update to Baking going to the Base Pack and all the baking recipes in Cooking being bumped over to Baking. Get To Work has been out for years and I honestly don't think the is a single Simmer so selfish who would begrudge everyone getting the Baking skill if it improves the game as a whole. If it's a Base skill it will more likely get new recipes. The devs would likely compensate with a refresh to Get to Work if they did this so Win/Win.

I think the wonderful suggestion of Upcycling could fitting neatly within the wood working skill and give it a little refresh to breathe new life in an underused skill

Convert Dancing from a minor Skill to a major one. Make new dances available with each skill level. Probably not my best thought out idea but wouldn't you like to see more types of dances
    • Argentinian Tango
    • Lindy Hop
    • Tap
    • Venetian Waltz

Ballet skill too please! also woodworking update!
    Wish more Recipe/harvestable/woodwork/craftableWish live in businessWish more interactive between sims and activityWish a lot of refresh and Better resize pleaseWish for another colour upgrade swatchWish for pool sliderFix the bug please
  • Options
    ForbiddenOrgansForbiddenOrgans Posts: 19 Member
    I feel like there should be an actual com sci/IT skill as opposed to just logic and, by extent, a separate skill for social media proficiency and overall media literacy. Being good with computers is NOT just about logic and handiness just as much as being good at social media isn't only about charisma or whatever.
  • Options
    Mak27Mak27 Posts: 1,114 Member
    • Sewing
    • Pottery
    • Glassblowing
    • Car restoration
    • Archery
    • Woodchopping
    • Break dance
    • Saxophone
    • Bass
    • Drums
    • Butter churning
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Mechanic skill I need cars
    Surfing
    Martial Arts
    Drums
    Bass
    Boxing
    Skateboarding at least 5 skill levels
    Billiard players/pool shark I've waited long enough for a pool table add some game play for it
    Hunting
    Fishkeeping

Skills I want to see but just much less
    Ballet
    Gymnastics
    Saxophone
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    I feel like there should be an actual com sci/IT skill as opposed to just logic and, by extent, a separate skill for social media proficiency and overall media literacy. Being good with computers is NOT just about logic and handiness just as much as being good at social media isn't only about charisma or whatever.

I second that, just as game development is not just programming. Ever wondered where your Sims' music and art comes from in the game? They could beef some of these aspects of science and such a lot.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Great ideas! I would especially love horse riding, ballet, fencing and archery. I would also like the dancing skill to be developed further or perhaps a separate ballroom dancing skill for couples.
  • Options
    FiendishlyDelightedFiendishlyDelighted Posts: 26 Member
    Archery is for sure a good one. We have the dart board so it shouldn't be difficult to do something similar with archery. Could have different bow styles too (short bow, long bow, compound bow, etc).

I also think charisma needs a split into charisma and storytelling because those are honestly different skills. I could see some stories falling flat and giving sims a bored moodlet, or draining them of energy (rambling stories putting other sims to sleep). In fact, a "rambler" trait would be pretty awesome with increased chance of inflicting bored statuses on other sims and taking longer to complete social actions. Bored is likely the single most underused emotional state in the Sims as it is. Can you even die of boredom? I think Sims should be able to!

I also want the canning skill split from cooking, as it is very different. A food preservation pack could do this, and offer new craftables (like dehydrators for jerky and fruit leathers, or herbs to make spices, new canning recipes as most fruits and veggies should be cannable).

Auto maintenance should be there as well (just do a garage pack). Money is easy to come by in the sims. Cars should be expensive (a money dump). They can disappear with an assigned sim when going to work, and could be a new woohoo spot. Could break down over time with use requiring maintenance or more money dumping to maintain. Could also tie into the eco stuff by having a negative footprint.
  • Options
    Perhaps it's just me, IDK, but I wish they redid the alien world, the one that is just one big rock and no one living there? I would totally do that myself if I could. However, if they redid that, they could add alien skills as well- allowing Sims to further upgrade their space crafts, or instantly identify plants and alien species. Perhaps they could even purchase and use alien tech- like jet packs and SG2OS- or Space Gas to Oxygen Systems. Or maybe buy a UFO like how marrying an alien in TS3 let us have them.

Although, could they add more grown up arts and crafts? Like making Halloween costumes for self and the kiddos, or maybe even have a scrapbook? For costumes, maybe they could even use certain ones to better relate to other Sims- like a spy dressing up to socialize with others? Imagine a kid dressed as some sci fi character befriending a real alien- who thinks they're somehow one of them?
  • Options
    BlackGirl73BlackGirl73 Posts: 66 Member
    Well, call me a fool, but I want to have back the cleaning skill from S2.
  • Options
    Archery is for sure a good one. We have the dart board so it shouldn't be difficult to do something similar with archery. Could have different bow styles too (short bow, long bow, compound bow, etc).

I also think charisma needs a split into charisma and storytelling because those are honestly different skills. I could see some stories falling flat and giving sims a bored moodlet, or draining them of energy (rambling stories putting other sims to sleep). In fact, a "rambler" trait would be pretty awesome with increased chance of inflicting bored statuses on other sims and taking longer to complete social actions. Bored is likely the single most underused emotional state in the Sims as it is. Can you even die of boredom? I think Sims should be able to!

I also want the canning skill split from cooking, as it is very different. A food preservation pack could do this, and offer new craftables (like dehydrators for jerky and fruit leathers, or herbs to make spices, new canning recipes as most fruits and veggies should be cannable).

Auto maintenance should be there as well (just do a garage pack). Money is easy to come by in the sims. Cars should be expensive (a money dump). They can disappear with an assigned sim when going to work, and could be a new woohoo spot. Could break down over time with use requiring maintenance or more money dumping to maintain. Could also tie into the eco stuff by having a negative footprint.

Storytelling could also tie in with writing fiction, which I think should be its own skill. Nonfiction writing takes completely different skills.

Canning and preservation would be nice. I wonder where we get the meat and such for jerky, unless it's tied to CL.

And vehicles shouldn't just be limited to cars- motorcycles, go carts, golf carts... they could make an active career out of it. And, if we have vehicles, add a driving skill. Not just for simple driving, if you're good enough, hit a race track.
  • Options
    Sim_Man17Sim_Man17 Posts: 173 Member
    I'm hoping to see more music related skills within the game. Like Drums, Bass, Saxophone, Trumpet, Harp and/or perhaps even an Accordion skill. A Sculpting skill would certainly be nice. Perhaps we should implement a Puppeteering skill. An overhaul on the current skills in the game would be great.
  • Options
    ArarineArarine Posts: 252 Member
    I wish they add more woodworking on handiness skill and improve logic skill to make it more use like chess with grim. Also add option run here for sims that have very high fitness skill.
    I agree that in Cottage living, canning should be new skill and more recipe of them and more use in recipe too
    Wish more Recipe/harvestable/woodwork/craftableWish live in businessWish more interactive between sims and activityWish a lot of refresh and Better resize pleaseWish for another colour upgrade swatchWish for pool sliderFix the bug please
  • Options
    SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    I would like all of these and everything I listed in this thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/998872/idea-blacksmithing-pottery-glass-blowing-sewing-basketry-leatherworking-etc#latest

I know it repeats some of what others have already said:
    Basketweaving
    Batik/Dyeing (Dying uses salt, water, & dye while Batik uses those plus hot wax)
    Blacksmithing
    Candle Making
    Ceramics/Pottery
    Clam/Oyster digging (might be part of foraging)
    Dye-Making (I suppose a form of Brewery)
    Foraging (finding seeds, nuts, berries, seaweed etc)
    Glassblowing
    Jewelcraft
    Leatherworking
    Salt harvesting (either from ground deposits or the seawater)
    Scrimshaw (carving bone/ivory/teeth/horn)
    Sewing (can include knitting, crochet, embroidery, & quilting)
    Soap Making (cc exists from Pied Piper & Icemunmun for this as well as for perfumes & mead)