Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you deal with Neighbourhood Stories?

Comments

• SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,820 Member
    I tuned it off from the get go.
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I turned it off. I do everything I can to keep story progression out of my game. I will tell my own neighborhood stories.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Bella Goth calls me every day asking if she should have another baby. I'm fairly certain that even if her household were full, she'd still be calling. Ms Goth, you already have one child sleeping in an attic room. You don't need four more!
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    If/when I start playing again, I plan to turn off wants and fears as I am not liking the feedback I am hearing on the forum. Also will be deactivating the social bunny on the phones. At least these things can be turned off (maybe, as saw a lot of comments that they turned wants/fears off but didn't stop them). Now I will also need the ability to turn off the phone obsession.
  • SirianaSimsSirianaSims Posts: 176 Member
    I've turned off everything for played households. For unplayed, I have turned off most things except unemployed Sims getting jobs and households adopting pets. For everything else, I use MCCC.
    generation5julia.png
  • MartinvMartinv Posts: 254 Member
    I turned it off for played households and left it on for other households. No use living in stagnation. Who knows, I might change it for some of my played households for testing purposes. I have about 50 played families and/or about 250 sims to go through.
  • MarihelMarihel Posts: 10 New Member
    I don't. I had it up till yesterday, then checked every single world and all the families had 4+ toddlers and pets. I disabled it... I wanted to keep up the possibility of Sims changing jobs, retiring, moving in and out but they kept adopting babies even if the setting was off... I gave up.
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited August 2022
    My sim self's wife who recently is in to women and has her chosen WooHoo preference with only women called her youngest daughter at university last night to ask her if she should expand the family!
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,547 Member
    I have it off for played households and households I want left alone. I have it customized for key premades and fully on for game generated townies. It works pretty well that way except for the occasional baby boom, which I readjust as needed.
  • CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
    I'm surprised that a lot of people have it turned off. Maybe Maxis is a little too late to implement this kind of stuff. (Same with fears and wants imo).

I have had it on for approximately 10 seconds - and then quickly turned it off. The Fyres family adopted a cat in a blue sweater within that tiny window of opportunity :P

Imagine what would've happened in 5 minutes - it would've been absolute chaos, I'm sure.

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I never turned it on. Never wanted it.
    #Team Occult
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    So far I'm in the minority. :D I did make a few tweaks, like no adoptions, the neighborhood is booming, as in babies...I love it!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member

I like it, too. 🙂 If there’s a household other than my own that I’m really invested in, I’ll turn it off for just that household, but I kinda like all the life events happening everywhere otherwise. Sometimes it’s really sad, but then sweet. Like, old Global Superstar Judith Ward apparently had a baby right before she became an elder. Sure enough, she died and left an orphaned child, but I got a notice that her child had been adopted (along with their pets - they all stayed together, which was nice!) I actually went and played that household a little just to ‘check on the kid’ and he was really sad, of course, so I stayed with him until he was better. I just play where the Sim winds of fate take me, lol.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • EvvieSimmerEvvieSimmer Posts: 134 Member
    I have mine turned off.. I used it until just recently but had to turn it off. It kept filling all my households to the max amount of sims with pets and kids x.x
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I just turn off Move Ins & Move Outs...as you say, when Sims move it leaves a completely vacant, unfurnished lot & I hate that. If there are Sims I care about....I leave them on the Played tab, so NHS doesn't impact them....but for the most part I just let NHS do its thing (with exception to moving). I use MCCC for the real story progression. As NHS is missing a very important story progression feature: relationships. Why aren't Sims getting married or having relationships with NHS? A huge opportunity miss.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I have the featured turned off for now. The one save I was playing rotation, I had just moved in a new family, for story purposes before switching back to my main family. At some point I swapped back to the "new" household and oml, I had only left them alone for an hour and they had, no joke, adopted three children, three dogs and a cat. Like...oml. That was just too intense, safe to say I immediately removed the adoptee children and pets because they couldn't all fit into a single-bedroom house. Just pure madness.

In a different save, sims were dropping dead every other sim hour and constantly changing careers or moving in and out of houses like they were trying on shoes.
    Like don't get me wrong, I like chaos, it's why I enjoy the sims in the first place. But jumping grandma on a stick, this feature is just too much. Just like everything in TS4, it's just over-tuned to the point of ridiculousness, because someone thinks that the game would be boring if something interesting didn't happen every five freaking seconds.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »
    My sim self's wife who recently is in to women and has her chosen WooHoo preference with only women called her youngest daughter at university last night to ask her if she should expand the family!

Ugh, this one bugs me so much, my teen sims mother is always calling her when she's not on the lot asking if they should "try for a baby". Like kudos for asking your daughter if she would like a sibling Sera. However, you are cursed to have twins...You don't want another set of twins...You've had two sets already... >.>

Seriously though, it's weird to be getting calls from your parents asking if they should have a baby. Like I get it's tied to the friendship status, but still it's weird and annoying.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited August 2022
    After trying them I have them all off, because I found them too aggressive. It needs tuning. That's in my main rotational save where I like to have control over the families myself (I did want neighbourhood stories there too, just found I couldn't use it how it now works). In my legacy type of saves I actually have neighbourhood stories on. It's a bit crazy there but I don't care about the other families that much so it's nice to see at least something happen with the townies. Needs more there as well because the sims don't move together and start families, so after a few generations all the househols are like siblings living together with kids they adopted.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,650 Member
    I had an issue with NS and mods. Two of the households I had opted out entirely suddenly adopted kids. I had all of my mods removed testing another bug and I started putting them back in two at a time and then this happened. I had opted them out but I didn't deselect any of the individual options first, I just unchecked the box to enable NS. If you have mods it might not hurt to double check things so you don't get any surprises. Lucky for me it all happened within minutes of starting that session and nothing important happened so I just exited without saving. In my case it seems like if the option had not been deselected before opting out, the game didn't see that household as opted out. I only have about 10 played households so it didn't take long to open up and deselect everything. With that done and opt out back in place I haven't had any repeats.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I change it constantly. Mostly it's off but when I feel enough time has passed with my main family, I'll have a look at the state of the neighbourhood. I'll pick which features I want to activate (if I need some more kids around or want families to move/change jobs etc) and activate those features and turn it on for a couple of sim days to move things along before I turn it back off again. Leaving it on full time is too much and not having it at all feels too lifeless so this is the compromise I've come up with that works for me.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • EleriEleri Posts: 534 Member
    I'm a rotational player who only has ageing turned on for played households. For my global settings, I have move in, get a job and retire turned on. The unemployment rate in the Sims has always nettled me. In real life that would cause massive social unrest.

For my played households I modify the settings on an individual basis. I might turn have a baby or adopt a child on for a short while if I think the timing is right for that.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Simexpert123Simexpert123 Posts: 809 Member
    I am not a fan of Neighborhood Stories. The only thing I like about it is that the townies can have babies. That's fun, but the rest is meh. I think you can turn it off. Maybe look into Settings to see if you can?
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Do not use it at all. It is turned off.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 995 Member
    edited August 2022
    I'm slowly using it less often. First off tried everything. Then moved to only some options in Other households. Now I'm customizing options in certain families in Other households, especially turning off adding babies to set homes.