Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So what happened to those continued updates?

I'm talking about this tweet specifically.

It's been almost two weeks since then and still no further updates or information on upcoming updates.

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    No one knows. :)
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Maybe that was in reference to the console players "fix" update.

Plus, you know they always word things to sound like they mean something to keep players happy but when they're called out on it, then they back track and explain what the statement meant, just like SimGuruGeorge's comment about how they went back and added Wants/Fears for older content, but left out the part about it basically just being the "older base game" content until someone questioned when it was going to be added.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Maybe that was in reference to the console players "fix" update.

Plus, you know they always word things to sound like they mean something to keep players happy but when they're called out on it, then they back track and explain what the statement meant, just like SimGuruGeorge's comment about how they went back and added Wants/Fears for older content, but left out the part about it basically just being the "older base game" content until someone questioned when it was going to be added.

It's crazy how they continue to get away with this word play.
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 469 Member
    At this rate I honestly think they EXPECT modders to fix the game.

If they want to do that ok (not really :( )

But they should be honest with us if they expect modders to fix everything they should be paid a decent amount of money (same with all the other people working on the Sims 4)
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I think we need communication. I don't get why they don't tell us what bugs they have been able to replicate and are working to fix. We only hear news just before a pack is released, but then nothing.
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    DevSims91 wrote: »

But they should be honest with us if they expect modders to fix everything they should be paid a decent amount of money (same with all the other people working on the Sims 4)

They can’t except modders to fix the game because there is huge player base that can’t / don’t use mods. Mods are addition to the game that should be use as enhancement (if one likes it), not the solution to make it playable.

As for the wording I’m sure they meant console update that came out about 1-2 days after PC/Mac (Thursday). But I won’t lie, I also thought we will get another general patch for everyone. 😂

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    We had a 'fix' for the aging bug within a week, 10 days. We're now two weeks beyond that and still no fix or word of a fix for the wants and fears still being active even when switched off. And fears that persist even after they've been conquered from what I've heard. Those are not minor issues, and it makes playing my save nerve wracking because I don't know what damage is being done when I'm not playing my other households. Communication about what is being done to fix this major flaw would be welcome.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    DevSims91 wrote: »

That may well be true, however, then they Patch the game for the next pack and sometimes, not always, it's a mod-buster patch. Quite the conundrum, eh?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    It's a really good question! I have been holding off opening Origin/playing my game since the debacle of the original patch (thankfully, I didnt download it!). I was actually really keen to play with the updates and the new pack, so have been waiting for these fixes they promised...
    And then there was silence...
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,821 Member
    I think cohesion is what we all wish for. And between the modders community and the establishment, id say we got a pretty sweet deal !
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 242 Member
    I was also so stupid to believe that there was another patch coming... But now I also believe that they were referring to the console updates...

I'm really amazed how it is possible to be so silent about such a big mess...

Even today I was kind of optimistic that we might finally get a patch, but now I feel stupid again for believing that.

I haven't played my legacy save since the first patch and I started a new save just to run into the next game breaking bug. It's a shame...
    I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    It took them a year to get the rocket fixed. The aging bug and broken on/off switch for wants feel like more complex bugs. I don't expect any fixes soon. I think the next patch will be one to prepare the game for yet another kit, with only minor bugs fixed.

After being forced to update by origin, I have little confidence in even more updates. Why should the sims team bother making updates that actually improve the game? Is it a 'bad' update, they can just force it into our game anyway.

The only questions that remain for me is how many bug and intrusive features the next patch will add? and will origin respect their customers enough to not automatically update their games if automatic updates is turned off?

• bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    @Atreya, I've been asking myself the same question way back when we only had 34, 35 packs/kits. :D

I figured out they will never be able to re-produce the bugs we have because they only have the base game, along with the pack being promoted. Let's see them play with every single pack, kit, whathaveyou and see what they come up with.

This was awhile ago and I forget which pack he was promoting but Grant had problems with his sim and the jump bug. I have to admit, it was funny. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    @Atreya, I've been asking myself the same question way back when we only had 34, 35 packs/kits. :D

I figured out they will never be able to re-produce the bugs we have because they only have the base game, along with the pack being promoted. Let's see them play with every single pack, kit, whathaveyou and see what they come up with.

This was awhile ago and I forget which pack he was promoting but Grant had problems with his sim and the jump bug. I have to admit, it was funny. :D

You are kidding, right? They, the people creating this game, don't have the entire universe of DLC on at least a handful of computers in the studio? In a weird sort of way I am actually impressed that it runs at all if that's the case.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed?

This is one of the questions asked when reporting a bug. So I would imagine they have the ability to test all packs when troubleshooting.

I don't know anything about bug testing but it's mind boggling to even think about how they approach testing bugs. 12 expansion packs. 12 game packs. 18 stuff packs, and 13 kits. Not everyone has all packs installed. Thousands of computer configurations. Player A might have 2 saves. Player B has 32 saves. Player C has 600 Sims in a save. Player D has 200. Where to even start? 🤔
    Not everyone has all packs installed. Thousands of computer configurations.

Those two things alone would be a total nightmare to recreate. PCs, Macs, laptops, it really is mind boggling the number of variables that are in play.

• Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Simply turning off the auto updates option will not stop Origin from attempting to update your game unless you also go offline and stay offline until you are ready to update. I have everything in the Origin options turned off. I do not allow sharing files, either. The need to take such extreme measures to keep your game safe is intrusive and a royal pain. The ONLY part of Origin I miss is the 'Repair Game' option. In my opinion it is Origin's one, and only redeeming quality.

As for the double speak coming from the gurus about updates, when those will be available and what bug fixes we can look for in those updates? I have taken a 'show me first' stance and refuse to believe anything the gurus say. Their credibility has taken too many hits lately as far as following through with what they say we can expect. All I see is a group of folks who obviously don't have anything worthwhile to say and are trying to keep the masses from losing their minds because they cannot play their games due to all the bugs. And who can blame the players for feeling this way when actual cash has changed hands and the product they thought they had paid for does not function as it was advertised. If one had purchased this product from any other company the customer service department of that company would have imploded from all the angry phone calls coming in from dissatisfied customers, and their storerooms would be overflowing with returns.

EA/Maxis is definitely taking advantage of our modding community. EA/Maxis knows we rely on the mod creators to fix the game so less effort is being made by the development teams to make sure new packs and updates function properly. Less effort and monetary resources are being given to the development of new packs and updates with the idea there will be mods to fix any mistakes EA/Maxis made and therefor don't have to pay for. Good for EA/Maxis and bad for anyone purchasing new packs as soon as those are released or blindly updating their game before knowing what new issues that update brings with it. As someone who has played The Sims since the beginning, I have to say the quality of the Sims4 barely deserves a 2 out of 10 rating. If not for the many, many mods I use the game would be unplayable. But as far as being excited about EA/Maxis' ability to fix their own game or create a pack that isn't a bug-filled mess? I have zero confidence in that becoming a reality. It will not happen until preorders and release day sales decline enough to make EA/Maxis rethink the way it does business and adjusts its priorities so it can create something that doesn't need to rely on mods to function.
  • StrivingNeutral2StrivingNeutral2 Posts: 5 New Member
    I'm still having issues. I have deleted all mods and CC. For some reasons, my sim cannot introduce themselves to anyone, order food at a vendor or food counter, I have to go to manage world to get my game to save and even then it's a 50/50 chance it saves, and I don't get the option to follow my sim to high school. I have "repaired" the game through Origin countless times. I have tried everything I know to do, everything that has been suggested to plus what I've anything found on Google that I hadn't tried. I don't know what else to do. I have never been so disappointed with this game as I have been for the last few weeks. This is beyond ridiculous. Any and ALL suggestions are welcome along with EA releasing a patch to fix these things. After searching, I know I am not the only one having these issues.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    I'm still having issues. I have deleted all mods and CC. For some reasons, my sim cannot introduce themselves to anyone, order food at a vendor or food counter, I have to go to manage world to get my game to save and even then it's a 50/50 chance it saves, and I don't get the option to follow my sim to high school. I have "repaired" the game through Origin countless times. I have tried everything I know to do, everything that has been suggested to plus what I've anything found on Google that I hadn't tried. I don't know what else to do. I have never been so disappointed with this game as I have been for the last few weeks. This is beyond ridiculous. Any and ALL suggestions are welcome along with EA releasing a patch to fix these things. After searching, I know I am not the only one having these issues.

@StrivingNeutral2, you may want to go over to the AHQ site and either do a search of your issues over there or create a new thread letting EA know what your issues are so that they can look into them as that is where they want any and all bugs and glitches to be reported on at... :)
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member

@StrivingNeutral2 Have you tried recreating the Sims 4 documents folder? (this is something that Origin does not do with the repair) You can do this by renaming the Sims4 folder into something else "Like "The Sims 4 old" or something. Origin will create a new The Sims 4 folder and try then and see if you have the same issue if you click "new game". Then you can try and move your saves and tray items over to that folder if the issue is still there. If the issue is there, then it's something on your save and I would search on Answer HQ to see if there are any suggestions for what it could be.
  • Llandros2012Llandros2012 Posts: 620 Member

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to be using a sim that was created and played in a different save at some point in time? The reason I ask is that I have a sim that I normally use but kept having issues so I recreated from a version that never was used before except in CAS and I had significantly less issues. There were still bugs because the game is very messed up right now but I did notice the difference. Or it could have been just coincidence - either way, maybe worth a shot if you haven't tried that yet.
  • motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    edited August 2022
    Some mods want work, and the game won't stay open for some. Maybe their waiting for higher ups to agree to the new updates.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2022
    What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed?

This is one of the questions asked when reporting a bug. So I would imagine they have the ability to test all packs when troubleshooting.

I don't know anything about bug testing but it's mind boggling to even think about how they approach testing bugs. 12 expansion packs. 12 game packs. 18 stuff packs, and 13 kits. Not everyone has all packs installed. Thousands of computer configurations. Player A might have 2 saves. Player B has 32 saves. Player C has 600 Sims in a save. Player D has 200. Where to even start? 🤔

Not to mention all the cc and mods causing bugs that players think are base game related but it still adds to the bug report pile.
    This is exactly why I believe players are too hard on them about bugs. 8
    They are working on it but It's NOT easy and it takes time. It's a very complex game where just when they finally got one bug fix it could cause another. And most bugs do not make it "unplayable" or "broken" possibly just a bit annoying. The major bugs like the aging bug are always hot fixed right away. For everthing else we just have to have patience. If we were working there trying to figure out this big headache I'm sure we would want players to be patient with us 😌

I've seen simmers saying "we need to hold them accountable" but uhhhh.. bugs are not a planned feature they happen unexpectedly. And if they were to hold onto packs until there were absolutely zer0 bugs nothing would ever get released. Every sims game had them and will continue to have them. There is nothing for them to account for because they do what they can in the time they have to do it.

I would love to see someone make a game on the complex level of the sims and try and make it 100% bug free. I'll keep waiting 😎
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    No one expects any game to be 100% bug free. I have played games long enough to know that is an unrealistic expectation. But I do expect fewer issues for players to deal with, and fixes for those issues to come to us more quickly. Whenever key features of a new pack or update are not tested with all the previous packs installed, there will be unknown problems for any player who is playing with every pack they own. I am fortunate enough to have a laptop that is used to test any new game I buy. Including my Sims game. It is totally vanilla, no mods or CC. Only bug fixes are installed as those become available. And I can honestly say a lot of newly released fixes have rendered past fixes useless. I do not hate Sims4. I do not hate EA or Maxis. But I do believe EA can do better than what I have seen so far.
  • flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 242 Member
    It is absolutely necessary to prioritize testing on such an old and complex codebase. But instead features get shipped with issues that would have been detected if there was some basic testing. And the testing for the new pack gets outsourced and is done in isolation to the other packs. That is inexcusable.
    I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.