Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Masterpiece" Seriously? Heh!

Alright... Teressa Calhouni has been painting a masterpiece about every 7th?? painting on average. Still... too many of these. What the heck? LOL!
If these are "masterpieces", worth about §5000 each when sold to the Art Gallery, (plus the fame), then it's not really really (sarcastic humour) really a tough call on whether to keep them or not. :p

So who needs a job when you can scribble a few of these up and sell them for §4 or §5 grand a piece in a few hours? Heh! :D

fHxIXNA.png

Reticulating Splines...
9ODVlJh.png

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,547 Member
    Lol, they paint so fast in TS4 they can knock out loads in no time.

I have a self-employed artist, I tend to make her do other stuff like her yoga so that she only paints a couple of pics in a day otherwise she'd be ridiculously rich.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,667 Member
    I have a system in my game restricting sims from making tons of money from say painting, unless they are actually in the painter career or owns a specific deed. Selling one work is not an issue, but making a living from it I think should be reserved those dedicating their sim life to the arts :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Making money via painting is way too easy. I normally avoid painting for that reason. But if you have a painter sim and need to save up for a new house for example... it's useful :joy: I still don't let all my sims who need to save up do it. I want some varied gameplay.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,954 Member
    edited July 2022
    I wish ppl actually paid that much for unfinished cartoony human sketches

maybe id actually have money in that alternate universe
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    It seems like all the types of art in Sims 4 is way too easy. Make about five books or video games, and you're set for life? I am playing with five Sims, and all I need is one of them to be able to paint to sustain them?
    It seems like all the types of art in Sims 4 is way too easy. Make about five books or video games, and you're set for life? I am playing with five Sims, and all I need is one of them to be able to paint to sustain them?

Hm, you can create a vide game??? I never saw that, is it the Tech Guru career, which I never played past lvl 2?
  • duriankindduriankind Posts: 62 Member
    I do get a kick out of the pop-up that appears when you try to sell masterpieces that warns you they're "very rare" since once your sim's painting skill is high enough they're capable of cranking out a few masterpieces a day, lol. Painting in this game really is overpowered for earning money. I try to avoid painting as well for this reason, unless my sim is actually a painter or needs painting for their career.
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
    check out my gallery page
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    edited July 2022
    Art, like so many things in life is SUBJECTIVE. When I draw, I seek to make it look as much like a photograph as possible and still be a drawing. My Art 2 teacher gave me low grades on work I felt really good about. He showed me some of his work and it was like, eww. More like scribbling to me. So, when I did a very hurried scribbling of the Grand Duchess Anastasia, he loved it and gave me a A. Face/palm. I though it was a piece of trash, myself. Needless to say I didn't keep that one in my portfolio.

I have an Artiste in my game, too. What is deemed a Masterpiece is confounding to me. She seems pleased, though. So I frame it, give it a title. Sim in Motion by Louise and then sell the derned thing. I don't need to hang it, it just vexes me to look at it. LOL
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/

Hm, you can create a vide game??? I never saw that, is it the Tech Guru career, which I never played past lvl 2?

Nope! Just learn to program! Eventually, the Sim will have the option to do it.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,869 Member
    @Simmerville I forget what level programming skill, maybe 7 or 8? My Arun Bheeda is a freelance programmer and he often makes games, both for gigs and not.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    You can get a lot more than 5k per painting though. :D
    ZBnWZSL.png

Just in like in real life, having a regular job isn't what makes the most money - so my Sims have regular jobs for fun? and do other things for money.

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,547 Member
    I always sell my paintings on Plopsy. Those fools pay so much more than the picture is worth 😄
    @Simmerville I forget what level programming skill, maybe 7 or 8? My Arun Bheeda is a freelance programmer and he often makes games, both for gigs and not.

Cool! There's so many careers in this game that I never really checked out. Guess I see a Programmer rising in the horizon :)
  • ZorgaZorga Posts: 614 Member
    A 'master piece' is not 'a high quality item' necessarily. Its a piece, by a master.

Look at Banksy, incredibly simple art but so insanely valuable.
    There are pretty dull sketches by Da Vinci and Van Gogh that are valued in the millions.

If I was a. rich and b. into art in real life, I would LOVE to own a figure study by <insert celebrity artist here>, to look at their technique and style beneath the arty outsideness.

True, a master could probably make some crappy artwork and sell it for an insane amount. It's almost sad, I mean if we made a figure drawing as did the master, the master sells for more. I guess it's not about the art, it's about who you know better.
  • Darkshadow608Darkshadow608 Posts: 156 Member
    I used to sell my paintings using the street gallery at 300% markup until I realized that the game is more fun when the sims are struggling.

So whenever I start a new family, I first decide what kind of people they will be, and choose a single way as a money maker - even gardening can get you rich quickly! All you do is fish up a dragon fruit or 2 in Magnolia Promenade and poof, unlimited money growing right there. So I strictly avoid that when gardening is my money source.

And flower arranging has been banned in all my saves too. At first you work at a loss... and then you sell them at 20k a piece when you have a 300% markup on the vendor table

I feel making money through skills and activities have become waaaaay easier than just having a job. Sort of breaks the game a bit.
    I have a mod to lessen how much I get from jobs? Still way too easy.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Painting is cheat mode in my book so it's very rare I let someone paint and sell daily
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited July 2022
    My Sims make and spend money at a rate that I think is uncommon for most players. Even though they paint 20,000+ simoleon paintings, they don't have endless money. They have to generate millions of simoleons in order to maintain their lifestyle. If their only options were regular jobs, they wouldn't even be able to afford living in their home. :# That said, even I draw the line somewhere and don't use money trees or stack reward traits that give money...

Mine are off the grid, in tiny houses, grow their own food, and never run out of electricity or water. Who needs a job?
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

@haneul Yes. I'll been trying to build (re-build) my lost house from when I lost my saves. Without just cheating money in. ;) You can see there is only §12,000 saved at that point.

@musteni I agree with you. Teressa Calhouni IS a dedicated painter for her life. She loves it as a career and hobby.

What you can't see in that screenshot is that (since you can't lock easels like a computer) I put in those maker walls and the marker gate from the "Get Famous" pack. Only she can get in to paint after I 'locked' the door for everyone else.
    I did that because I like having her around everyone else while she's painting. :smiley:
    (Instead of stuck alone in a room)

The other's careers are:

Marissa Calhouni: Musician
    Terry Calhouni: Astronaut
    Markus Flex: Athlete

The other two were still just Teens when I took that screenie.

One plans to be an astronaut like his dad, but go the 'scoundrel' path. Instead of space patrol.
    The other plans to be a scientist.

Markus Flex will probably eventually leave and go back to Windenburg or something. (Noncommittal) lol!
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

Art, like so many things in life is SUBJECTIVE. When I draw, I seek to make it look as much like a photograph as possible and still be a drawing. My Art 2 teacher gave me low grades on work I felt really good about. He showed me some of his work and it was like, eww. More like scribbling to me. So, when I did a very hurried scribbling of the Grand Duchess Anastasia, he loved it and gave me a A. Face/palm. I though it was a piece of trash, myself. Needless to say I didn't keep that one in my portfolio.

I have an Artiste in my game, too. What is deemed a Masterpiece is confounding to me. She seems pleased, though. So I frame it, give it a title. Sim in Motion by Louise and then sell the derned thing. I don't need to hang it, it just vexes me to look at it. LOL

That's actually sad. Each person has their unique way of doing artwork. To have a teacher say all that must have been frustrating.

I'm glad you stuck with your own way of doing things.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

Figures! (pardon the deliberate pun) ;)

Figures it's over §10,000 for this figure, and gives "fame" for this masterpiece. Heh Heh! :D:D:D:p
    X2NB79S.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    And here I thought gardening was the lucrative skill...
    You can pull in big bucks in gardening with roses. Granted, it takes a while to get them to "perfect", but once you do, each bloom is worth 80 bucks, and you get four per plant.
    You can go (day by day) from one plant, to five, to nine, then twenty-nine, then fifty-five plants and the first week isn't even over. 55 x $80 every couple of days is living on easy street. Roses seem to only flower every 2 days, that's why the numbers are a bit wacky.
    I suppose the disadvantage is that they only bloom in Autumn, so you only have a short window to rake in lots of cash.

Having read some of the comments above though, I should probably compost the roses and buy a digital sketchpad and an easel.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,823 Member
    edited August 2022
    StuffyMarx wrote: »
    And here I thought gardening was the lucrative skill...
    You can pull in big bucks in gardening with roses. Granted, it takes a while to get them to "perfect", but once you do, each bloom is worth 80 bucks, and you get four per plant.
    You can go (day by day) from one plant, to five, to nine, then twenty-nine, then fifty-five plants and the first week isn't even over. 55 x $80 every couple of days is living on easy street. Roses seem to only flower every 2 days, that's why the numbers are a bit wacky.
    I suppose the disadvantage is that they only bloom in Autumn, so you only have a short window to rake in lots of cash.

Having read some of the comments above though, I should probably compost the roses and buy a digital sketchpad and an easel.

Painting is the best way to get rich quick. You can spam out a lot of paintings in a single day. Once you get your painter above level 5 excellent paintings routinely pay over 1-2K. When they reach max skill it's easily 2-8K for an excellent painting, masterpieces can go for 7-20K a piece. On average a masterpiece is usually good for 4-8K easy peasy. The style of painting matters, landscapes and classics pay the best. Impressionism and abstracts can fetch big money now and then but tend to be on the lower end of the scale. If you figure that your sim can do 10 or more paintings a day you will have that McMansion before you know it.
    Post edited by DaniRose2143 on