Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Population Run Amuck

If you try and set your favorite Sims allowed count in management to above 200 (unlimited), the game warns you that it will severely impact game speed and load times, and may cause crashes. Normally I use my mods to curtail new sim production, but I was playing differently for once and let the game do as it pleased. I started with a sim population of 3; just my toddler sim and his parents. I played with somewhat extended aging on, nothing crazy, and took the toddler up through high school and university. Then I saved him to move to a fresh game as if he had moved to a new town following college. But I was curious just what the game had done with neighborhood stories on, and went in and counted all the sims.

There were 373 of them.

Now would someone please explain to me how having more that 200 favorite sims will cause lag, but yet it's okay for the game to make almost twice that number? And how could it possibly need almost 400 sims, when my sim rarely even visited community lots? Just crazy.

Comments

• MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    Wow! I think your save file may need a calamity event to deal with the overpopulation. LUL!
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    There should be a higher cap available now that the game is 64 bit and there is no 32 bit option. Just the default NPCs puts the population close to 200 by themselves, if you have all the packs and kits available for the game. So maybe add another tier above 200 but below unlimited: say 250 or 300 max.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Isn’t the max count only for playable Sims? It doesn’t matter how many appear in Other Households (Sims you haven’t played) as the game culls them when they reach a certain number but I don’t know what that is.

I can’t go above the 80 playable Sim limit or I get a lot of problems. This is frustrating for me as I could do with more playable Sims.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I play on unlimited, it does make the game longer to load, but I continue to keep it anyway.
    The problem is that I have so many ideas that I end up with more than 100 Sims in each save file I have.
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited August 2022
    Isn’t the max count only for playable Sims? It doesn’t matter how many appear in Other Households (Sims you haven’t played) as the game culls them when they reach a certain number but I don’t know what that is.

I can’t go above the 80 playable Sim limit or I get a lot of problems. This is frustrating for me as I could do with more playable Sims.

Yeah, but a good number of these sims become playable sims. With neighborhood stories on, most of my houses were filled with them. Once they get moved in they are fully playable. Besides, the number isn't really about playable sims anyway. You can put any sims in your favorites. I keep my Father Winter in there. It's more about tagging sims that the game won't cut. But how the number of sims that can be cut and the number of sims that can't is any different as far as lag pressure on the save I don't really see. And when there are close to 400 sims total and the game is still making more, well, that's just too many wherever they are.

I USUALLY play with about 200 sims in my favorites (just not this game) with little effect. But with the mods I've made and usually use, there is a minimum of other sims created by the game, from 10-20. See I think the lag comes from the overall amount of sims (including the npcs), and by keeping the npc riff-raff away I'm able to keep a higher number of important sims. Without mods, the game knows full well it's going to make a lot of sims, and keeping the saved number the player keeps down gives it more room to do that.

In other words the reason (I think) setting your limit to 200 and coming close to it creates a problem is because the game comes along and creates a couple of hundred more. If it didn't 200 wouldn't be so bad.
    Post edited by ravynwolvf on
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I'm up to 600+ sims. Active aging only. I used to let my sims have babies with neighborhood stories. I stopped that because the game wasn't taking into account the number of beds available in a house.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited August 2022
    ravynwolvf wrote: »

Yeah, but a good number of these sims become playable sims. With neighborhood stories on, most of my houses were filled with them. Once they get moved in they are fully playable. Besides, the number isn't really about playable sims anyway. You can put any sims in your favorites. I keep my Father Winter in there. It's more about tagging sims that the game won't cut. But how the number of sims that can be cut and the number of sims that can't is any different as far as lag pressure on the save I don't really see. And when there are close to 400 sims total and the game is still making more, well, that's just too many wherever they are.

I USUALLY play with about 200 sims in my favorites (just not this game) with little effect. But with the mods I've made and usually use, there is a minimum of other sims created by the game, from 10-20. See I think the lag comes from the overall amount of sims (including the npcs), and by keeping the npc riff-raff away I'm able to keep a higher number of important sims. Without mods, the game knows full well it's going to make a lot of sims, and keeping the saved number the player keeps down gives it more room to do that.

In other words the reason (I think) setting your limit to 200 and coming close to it creates a problem is because the game comes along and creates a couple of hundred more. If it didn't 200 wouldn't be so bad.

So it’s not just favourite Sims but those tagged? That explains some of the erratic behaviour of my game then and why I get so many Sims during a game.

I have a max of 80 favourite Sims (my computer lags if I choose a higher number) which I thought meant, only those Sims details, relationships were saved. All other Sims exist but nothing is saved. So if you like a townie move them in.

I cull the Other Households population myself regularly. Every time I do, my game performance improves until new extra Sims are generated. (It used to be once a quarter, then monthly, fortnightly now weekly)

I love the idea of Neighbourhood Stories but it’s very frustrating. I’ve had to take off adopting a baby/toddler/child as the house won’t stop until all 8 slots are filled. Now it’s only certain houses. Try for baby also off due to the amount.
    Every bar I visit there’s at least three mixologists, each doing a shift. One just leaves then a new mixologist takes over. They get added to the Other Households.

StrangerVille adds a lot of military, scientists and conspiracy theorists.
    High School has generated teens.
    Random Sims are vampires 🧛‍♂️, even if I don’t play the three vampires that come with that pack. Is Vlad biting Sims autonomously? The Vatore are supposed to be the good vampires so are they biting Sims? 🤦🏼‍♂️

Keeping the population down really helps, maybe we could get to select how many new Sims the game generates? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️
    The options:
    • Unlimited Sims please!
    • Whoa, let’s try and slow down here.
    • Only generate Sims as required.
    • Stop it! Select from existing Sims only.

At least the stray cats don’t get added until I adopt one.

Thankfully I don’t own all the packs!

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞