Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

-Game is using almost all of my PC's memory-fixed-

GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
My game was running just fine until a few nights ago when all my store stuff installed itself, so I reinstalled
all and my game is very laggy and choppy.

Task manager says memory is at 80-90% used.
I know sims 3 can only use a set amount of memory.
But it was running just fine.

Maybe its just my PC can't handle it?
Dxdiag: https://pastebin.com/jmMKWsJu

Could someone take a look at my DXDIAG and tell me what they think.
This is a gaming desktop, not high end, but I been playing on it for a year or so now.
I don't know if something is wrong with my PC or graphics card

It happens in custom and EA worlds.
And I tried with and without mods and with a clean EA folder with no store content.
Post edited by GraceyManor on

Comments

• Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    edited July 2022
    In Task Manager, under the "Processes" tab, you can click the "Memory" column to sort by memory used (Might need to be clicked twice). That will give you an idea of what is using up a ton of memory.

I doubt it is The Sims 3. As you said, The Sims 3 can only use so much of your RAM, so it wouldn't be using anywhere near 80-90%. But if any program is using that much memory, the performance of other programs will be affected. The Sims 3 will be at the top or near top of the list, but that isn't worrisome if the number you see being used is under ~3500 MB (3.5 GB), which is the upper limit of TS3's memory usage.

So, my first step would be to find the program (or programs) that are contributing to the memory usage and, based on which programs it is, you go from there to find a solution.

By the way, I found this post about the store content issue that might be helpful to you if the problem with store content arises again in the future:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims3/comments/o0ryl3/store_content_keeps_uninstalling/
  • KbobsterKbobster Posts: 156 Member
    edited July 2022
    I've had the same issue with the Sims 3, which is why I have been hesitant to reinstall it. Which sucks, because I love the Sims 3 so much.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    edited July 2022
    @Emily4331
    The item isn't actually in the game though.Not just disappearing from launcher, its actually not
    in the game.Even though I thought I installed it.

The game's memory says 94% used with Sims 3 using most of it at 2750 mb.
    The rest are programs required by the computer and origin and origin is barely using anything.

I downloaded razor game booster and that seems to help.
    memory.png
    Here is what my task is showing, nothing but sims 3 looks to be using much memory.
    edited July 2022
    @GraceyManor So you have 8 GB RAM, which means 80% of that is 6.4 GB. If the average amount The Sims 3 uses is between 1.7 GB and 2.8 GB, that means it alone is using 20-30% of your RAM (which is very normal for TS3, in my experience). If you take away TS3's RAM usage, the rest of the processes are using 40-50% of your RAM. Those numbers add up, even though they seem small.

I feel like 8 GB of RAM has to be properly rationed a bit more here. Razer Game Booster is helping because one of its functions is to free up unnecessary RAM usage. If Razer Game Booster helps, then that's great. But I'd still try to play without Google Chrome open because internet browsers just gobble up memory and aren't necessary. Heck, I have double the RAM you do and still close everything I'm not using (or isn't a necessary background task) when playing The Sims 3. If you need to use your internet browser, chances are you have a tiny computer sitting next to you that you can utilized instead. :3 (your cellphone lol).

The other option is to buy another stick of RAM, but since that costs money, it's more of an if-all-else-fails measure.
    edited July 2022
    @Emily4331
    Yeah I have a habit of wanting to upload screenshots on the threads here.
    I should probably not run google in the background LOL

I don't mind buying a stick of ram if it works, but I'm not sure what to get as I'm not tech savvy.LOL

For some reaosn I thought I had 16gb of ram, that's what I read when I bought it.
    edited July 2022
    @GraceyManor lol I understand. You need to make sure any RAM stick you buy is compatible with your motherboard. That info isn't in the dxdiag. To find out what Motherboard you have, you can do the following:

Hit Windows Key+R. In the text box that comes up, type "cmd" and hit ok. This will open the command prompt. Here, type the following exactly as it is typed here:
    wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer

Hit enter and your Motherboard manufacturer and product will be shown. Jot that info down somewhere.

Then, go here:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Click "+Choose A Motherboard", type yours into the search bar and find it in the list and click "add" on the far right. Then, if you click "+Choose Memory" it will show you products compatible with your Motherboard. Pick whichever you want, find somewhere to buy it, buy it, and then find someone to put it in your computer for you. Though, I will say, installing RAM sticks is one of the easier things to do so I think if you look up a Youtube tutorial you and your husband should be able to figure it out. If not, or if you're afraid of trying it yourself I'm sure someone like Geek Squad would install them for you for a fee.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    @Emily4331

I don't mind buying a stick of ram if it works, but I'm not sure what to get as I'm not tech savvy.LOL

For some reaosn I thought I had 16gb of ram, that's what I read when I bought it.

You have an integrated graphics card that's also chewing up a lot of your system's memory. TS3 isn't really the problem. You just don't have a lot of free memory left over after the operating system and video claim the memory that they need to function.
    edited August 2022
    SimSpock wrote: »
    @Emily4331

You have an integrated graphics card that's also chewing up a lot of your system's memory. TS3 isn't really the problem. You just don't have a lot of free memory left over after the operating system and video claim the memory that they need to function.

Will adding a ram stick help then? I'm not tech savvy.XD

@Emily4331
    I don't have a hubby, but I googled a youtube video and it looks fairly simple.
    And my PC is easy to get into, the front opens up with a door, no disassembling.
    @GraceyManor Oh, sorry. :sweat_smile: Well, regardless, it is easy to do even without a hubby. :lol: And, yes, adding another stick of RAM would help. Just make sure to use my instructions in my previous post to find one that will fit in your motherboard. And probably also make sure your motherboard has free slots, which is more than likely does since you only have 8 GB RAM, but better safe than sorry. :wink:
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »
    @Emily4331

Will adding a ram stick help then? I'm not tech savvy.XD

@Emily4331
    I don't have a hubby, but I googled a youtube video and it looks fairly simple.
    And my PC is easy to get into, the front opens up with a door, no disassembling.

It should. The advice @Emily4331 gave should work.
  • ReneHollyDesignsReneHollyDesigns Posts: 27 Member
    I use these tips by ACottonSock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-uBFKOen-4 After doing what she said I can run it on my laptop with all worlds installed. It doesn't run hot or lag at all so far. Hope you give it a try you won't be disappointed.