Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin Just Automatically Began Repairing My Game

Comments

• MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    This happened to me, and now I can't launch my game while in Offline mode at all. I'm furious if this is an attempt at forced patches. I don't want to download broken patches, I just want to play the game that I paid for, how and when I like.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Right finally got my account verified thanks to a helpful person at EA Help.

I have tried every which way with Origin and there is no way you can play without patching the game.

Downloaded the beta app and it has even less options than the old Origin. Can't play unpatched with that either, no matter how you try and launch the game.

It seems there is absolutely no way to play without installing probably the worse patch I have seen (based on user feedback I have read) since 2014.

So is this it now? Every patch will be forced?

I will probably spend some time re-modding my game this time but if the next patch is forced, I'm out. Lots of other distractions out there.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • DangusDangus Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Colorist40 said:
    > Try downloading the ea app
    While I'm not the fan of installing even more of EA's DRM on my machine, I thought I'd give that a try. Unfortunately, trying to play in offline mode just keeps popping up a message insisting that the game needs to be repaired. So I guess I have no choice at this point: I'll have to update to this awful patch and then update the mods that fix half the problems, ironically, that I have with the game. Yay. Thanks again, EA/Maxis.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,420 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    February11 wrote: »
    Origin just updated, and when I went to play (I usually play offline), it wouldn't let me, and next minute my game began repairing.
    Once it was done, I couldn't go off line to play, and it wanted to update to the new patch.
    It's now repairing again!
    Anyone else have this happen?

Origin is doing the same for me. When I open up it immediately starts repair, although I thought it was updating. For once I want to postpone a sims 4 update indefinitely and now this.

On top of that all my games are just blanc boxes, I can't click on play. I read someone else had this and had to restart their pc but that didn't fix it for me.

I had auto-update turned to the OFF position. It was like that the day before the Patch hit for HSY. So, when I opened up my game that day I was horrified to find the update in progress! I have MODS. I quickly paused the update (something I never do) and pulled my Mods folder out of the game. It did the same thing to me when the smaller patch came out. Sadly, my rescued Mods folder was basically empty of its contents the second time, despite others suggesting it was too small to harm mods. (No it didn't harm them, it just removed them. :open_mouth: ) I had saved some mods in another folder on my desktop and was able to retrieve a small mod another player whipped up for me. Phew! And I was able to redownload the others I needed. But what a mess.

Back on point, I haven't yet opened Origin today. Yesterday I got the blank page thing, reported by others. I have a shortcut for Sims4, that I made accidentally one day ages ago. I was able to get into my game. Phew! I pray, my saves aren't blank boxes. I made copies of both of my saves, made several days prior to the coming Patch for HSY. I just don't wish to have to start either one of them over again. My second one is the Flashback for the Main save. I took my Global Superstar, Rock Star, through his high school years. He's just five days away from aging to YA.

Same here. I always have auto-update turned off. The origin update wouldn't let play off line. Not with the shortcut, not with being online before starting origin, not with origin start online and the switch to offline mode,... nothing worked. It was either repair and update or no game at all. Luckily I cancelled repair the first time and took out my mods before letting the repair (and as it turns out the update) do it's thing.

But I am very frustrated over being forced to patch like this. :rage: I have no interest in wants or fears, no plans to buy new DLC anytime soon and definitely don't want the most recent bugs. I was perfectly fine playing offline. But origin wouldn't let me. :(
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited August 2022
    Right finally got my account verified thanks to a helpful person at EA Help.

I have tried every which way with Origin and there is no way you can play without patching the game.

Downloaded the beta app and it has even less options than the old Origin. Can't play unpatched with that either, no matter how you try and launch the game.

It seems there is absolutely no way to play without installing probably the worse patch I have seen (based on user feedback I have read) since 2014.

So is this it now? Every patch will be forced?

I will probably spend some time re-modding my game this time but if the next patch is forced, I'm out. Lots of other distractions out there.

Hmm…. I hope that we will get some clarification on this. Otherwise the patch next month will show how it works.

Time wise I cannot update mods every month and I am lucky enough to be able to play my game offline. However, at some point there will be a new Dragon Age or Mass Effect at which point I would have to update Origin to play. That would be a difficult choice. Remain with the stable Sims 4 or update for a new Dragon Age but not being able to play offline again.

Hope this was a one-time-thing.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,657 Member
    Hmm…. I hope that we will get some clarification on this. Otherwise the patch next month will show how it works.

Time wise I cannot update mods every month and I am lucky enough to be able to play my game offline. However, at some point there will be a new Dragon Age or Mass Effect at which point I would have to update Origin to play. That would be a difficult choice. Remain with the stable Sims 4 or update for a new Dragon Age but not being able to play offline again.

Just curious, is it not possible to uninstall the App? I got my game repaired/patched, but I did not install the App, and am still playing offline from that old desktop icon (.exe). I can't say for sure that I won't need to "repair" the game again when the next patch is out, but I expect that I won't need to. I think yesterday's big-big-big repair was due to changes relating to the new App.
    If so, it will be possible to stay offline, at least until next time I want to patch my game, then I risk only being able to do so via the App.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    edited August 2022

Just curious, is it not possible to uninstall the App? I got my game repaired/patched, but I did not install the App, and am still playing offline from that old desktop icon (.exe). I can't say for sure that I won't need to "repair" the game again when the next patch is out, but I expect that I won't need to. I think yesterday's big-big-big repair was due to changes relating to the new App.
    If so, it will be possible to stay offline, at least until next time I want to patch my game, then I risk only being able to do so via the App.

I think the mistake that @SilentKitty and I made was to allow Origin itself to update. Usually this is not a problem. You could let Origin update and then go offline and play an unpatched game. With the latest Origin update, you must 'repair' and allow the game to be patched.

If you can still launch Origin in offline mode and stay offline, then I think you are good to play your unpatched game.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,869 Member
    I am used to play offline for months in row.... today first time ever Origin literally forced me to patch, NOT HAPPY!
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,869 Member

I think the mistake that @SilentKitty and I made was to allow Origin itself to update. Usually this is not a problem. You could let Origin update and then go offline and play an unpatched game. With the latest Origin update, you must 'repair' and allow the game to be patched.

Same here
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    edited August 2022

If you can still launch Origin in offline mode and stay offline, then I think you are good to play your unpatched game.

I will try this method thank you, this is unacceptable that origin has done this for the last update, I’ve not patched in months and took a break, so hopefully complete offline mode let’s me in with no trouble, we’ll see, not amused either, this is why I avoided the EA app thing well here goes nothing.
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited August 2022
    This is clearly a bug. Seems weird to report it on the Sims4 bug forum, since it seems to have started with an Origin update, but I don't see anywhere better to report it. I've seen a couple probably-related threads on the 'tech issues' board (like this one), but that board's for getting help from volunteers. I'm thinking this should be reported as a bug, since forced-repairs and forced-updates are not how this is supposed to work. We're supposed to be able to play offline without updating--if they're changing that, they need to announce it first!

Anyone willing to start a bug report and link it here? I'll happily 'me-too' it, but do not have the mental wherewithal to cope with all the suggested repairs, etc. that will be asked of the person who reports this bug. Like others in this thread, I carefully followed these instructions; didn't make a difference. I still have the blank game icons in my library, origin is still auto-repairing my game, still wants me to update when it finishes the autorepairs (edit: I cancel that!), and when I go offline and launch my game from the desktop icon, the game still fails to launch. I'm done until EA fixes what they broke.

I stopped playing TS4 for a year or so; only came back when the werewolves pack got such good reviews. I can easily stop playing again.

Before I go-thanks to all of you for posting about your experiences. You saved me from lots of fruitless experimentation! :)

edit: all this started a couple days ago, same as with everyone else. I launched my game from my desktop icon as usual, logged into origin, and suddenly it started to auto-update even though I always set that to 'off.' I cancelled the update immediately and changed my settings back the way they were (auto updates off!). I may not be remembering correctly, but I think that's when the auto-repair started. I haven't been able to play the game since then.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I used to just play offline but from now on I will upgrade to shutting down the internet when I play Sims 4.

Turn off computer, pull the cable, start up, play. A little bit more fiddling about but I will feel much more relaxed while playing.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    It seems like every time I come to this forum there is yet another mess going on.

I haven't updated; I haven't even played since before the end of July patch that started all the fiasco. I don't think I'm going to bother any time soon. And if I do really feel like simming I'm definitely disconnecting from the Internet first.

For now, I am content to play non-EA games. For the first time in 7 years...
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,897 Member
    Wow ! Another day another story. For me im so happy everything is running perfectly im building like crazy.... :blush:
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    edited August 2022
    Okay following up from earlier, airplane mode has worked in my case best of luck to everyone else and mass sympathies for those that got caught in this update trap, bug from origin or not, it is still terrible.
    Post edited by Lyrie on
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I did the update and my game kept crashing. Not impressed.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    I really do not see the point of this thread as a player origin is working fine no problems at all and sims4 loads just fine as well have you also check to make sure its not your anti virus blocking origin or the sims4 itself?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,643 Member
    edited August 2022
    So, for those of us who are having problems, does anyone know if this just an origin glitch/bug, or the way it's going to be from now on?
    Post edited by February11 on
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • DangusDangus Posts: 5 New Member
    > @February11 said:
    > So is this just an origin glitch/bug, or the way it's going to be from now on?
    Bug it would seem, with the Origin update from the other day as far as I can tell. Judging from the answer HQ, it sounds like some other games have the verification problem as well.
    The big question I have is whether origin is preventing the games from running, or if they somehow got corrupted during the verification/repair? A lot of folks are commenting that even after the forced verification/repair, they end up in a loop of verifying.
    edited August 2022
    I'm wondering if the problem came from the Origin update that happened just before all this drama occurred.
    Post edited by February11 on
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited August 2022
    I updated My game after the update where they fixed aging in August, and I purchased HSY right after that. I’m pretty sure I was able to get back in my game through Origin at least once after that. But, I had a problem going in through origin last night saying the server had an error, and it would not let me see my games. I closed out, restated my computer and got the error again. I could go into my game through the short cut though.

I plan to try again tonight and see if Origin works for me tonight or not. It seems like a lot of people are having problems with Origin whether they have already updated their game or not.

I don’t even remember seeing an Origin update in the last few days.
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    This is supposed to be a game. You know, something you play with.

Why does everything have to be so (expletive deleted) difficult??
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    This is supposed to be a game. You know, something you play with.

Why does everything have to be so (expletive deleted) difficult??

Exactly!
    And unfortunately we love playing that much, we persist in trying to fix the problems they present us with!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,420 Member
    edited August 2022
    I really do not see the point of this thread as a player origin is working fine no problems at all and sims4 loads just fine as well have you also check to make sure its not your anti virus blocking origin or the sims4 itself?

Good to hear at least one player is not experiencing any issues. Personally I think the fact that origin is suddenly forcing people to update without an option to play offline is something worth talking about. I usually postpone every update for a week or two to wait for mods, so I know perfectly how playing offline works. This time I was planning to play offline longer due to the many glitches. But EA and/or origin obviously don't agree with playing offline to avoid a patch any more. If I had known updating origin would result into this, I would not have updated at all. Next time I will definitely not trust an origin update without coming to the forums first.

But the damage to my game is done. All the new bugs and no way to go back to the previous version.
    Atreya33 wrote: »

Good to hear at least one player is not experiencing any issues. Personally I think the fact that origin is suddenly forcing people to update without an option to play offline is something worth talking about. I usually postpone every update for a week or two to wait for mods, so I know perfectly how playing offline works. This time I was planning to play offline longer due to the many glitches. But EA and/or origin obviously don't agree with playing offline to avoid a patch any more. If I had known updating origin would result into this, I would not have updated at all. Next time I will definitely not trust an origin update without coming to the forums first.

But the damage to my game is done. All the new bugs and no way to go back to the previous version.

Indeed, I am surprised this thread is not on fire. Forced updates is bad - pretty much a gamebreaker for me.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....