Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

sexual preferences - what actions will be triggered?

Just patched, and I'm a bit surprised that all my 400+ existing sims has "experimenting with both genders" as their default setting. This is kind of disturbing when they are married or are nowadays pushing elderhood after a long life of no such need to experiment.

I will need days of wasted gaming time to adjust those settings for all my sims. I really think the default should be according to how these things were before, and only change for new sims created in CAS or existing youngsters growing up. I assume that in most games the majority will be rather traditional, which means it would add more sense if we just changed settings for those we want to be experimental. It would save me for hours...

But I can't change what EA already thought was a great idea. My question now is what will happen to my platonically married sims if I do not change these details in CAS? How many woohoos with their spouse is needed to get rid of the experimenting status? Or are they decided to be experimental for their entire life even if they never even look at another sim?

I don't have HSY pack, so I guess these things won't interfere with social media flirting etc.
Will the new settings affect teens more than elders?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited August 2022
    If you don't change anything then your sims should behave just as they did before, as far as I understand "experimenting with both genders" was the default setting before which have allowed players to do what they wanted.

From what I could see all my sims had this setting as default after the patch and I don't think you can change it through gameplay? I think that's something that you do in CAS. I spent some time to change that for some sims that I felt that they would not want to explore romantically, like my married sims.

What might have changed are your sims gender preferences as it looks like they will change depending on how you have played your sims, many of my sims had gender preferences already selected.

I have not noticed any new actions or consequences, my sims seems to behave as I have always played them and I have not noticed anything different for the other life stages.

• Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,083 Member
    edited August 2022
    In the space of two sim days after they last WooHooed, my sim self's wife Liberty changed her WooHoo preference from men to women yet she was still romantically attracted to men. After four or five romantic interactions with a woman, Liberty's romantic preference changed from men to women. So now after 9 sim years of marriage Liberty is now in to women without changing her preferences in CAS.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »
    In the space of two sim days after they last WooHooed, my sim self's wife Liberty changed her WooHoo preference from men to women yet she was still romantically attracted to men. After four or five romantic interactions with a woman, Liberty's romantic preference changed from men to women. So now after 9 sim years of marriage Liberty is now in to women without changing her preferences in CAS.

And I'm utterly confused... ;)

I don't want my game to change their preferences like that, or did you direct it to happen?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »

And I'm utterly confused... ;)

I don't want my game to change their preferences like that, or did you direct it to happen?

The preferences can be changed through gameplay it seems.

If the player directs a sim to have to have romantic interactions with a female sim then the sim will develop a preference for female sims.

At least that is how I understood it. Sounds great!
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    edited August 2022
    If they are set to exploring, and they flirt with or accept flirts from one gender, they will gradually develop a preference for that gender. If they are set to not exploring, they will only ever accept romantic interactions from their selected gender, or none if you prefer an aromantic sim. In the past the default for premades and townies was exploring, so that the player could start a relationship with any sim they wanted.

There's no faithfulness check at all, so the chances of your sim accepting random flirts from random sims is unchanged, except that if you set them to not exploring they will always reject any gender that is not checked as preferred for romance. If they are set to exploring and accept a random flirt, it could affect their preference.

Edited to add: As I understand what has been announced anyway. I am not sure what current bugs may affect the actual results.
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    It may take you a few days to set the sexual preferences like you want it. I went through all 600+ of my sims. None of them were exclusively straight or gay until I gave them an orientation.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    It may take you a few days to set the sexual preferences like you want it. I went through all 600+ of my sims. None of them were exclusively straight or gay until I gave them an orientation.

I'm so glad we can change them from the Manage Households instead of having to load the households and use cheats.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

The default is "bi-sexual" or "No-preference". Has been for a long time. (without mods)
    "No-preference" means the algorithms will build on what is programmed in. "IF THEN" coding. One of the basics of computer programming.
    With random autonomous flirting moving it (forcing it) towards either male or female preference based on the input.

I read a topic on this a few years ago someone complaining their in-game female Sims all turned lesbian. lol!

Disclaimer:
    I'm not talking about or expressing my own "biased" feelings on real sexuality at all. Quite neutral actually when it comes to people's choices and actuality in real life. Cheers. :) Just rather mentioning here how the game is programmed.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png